Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ariel2.0 delicately unscrews the bolts and levers away the shell of my chassis. into my interior, the sweet wires and silicon boards that have replaced my manly organs of reproduction, he delivers the fruits of my ancestral home: the emerald grapes, the golden lemons, the rich ripe olives of the promised land. his usb port is a dark, intimate and inviting niche. my cord snakes toward him, the plug erect and sparking. it is time. let us interface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm not going to explain the Israeli narrative here right now (maybe after a few more cups of coffee I will) but it's seriously amazing that TIC is the only one who is seemingly even able to grasp what it is.

Edit: seriously some of you guys are still doing the 'the tunnels into Israel and inside of Gaza were used for smuggling goods' which personally I find incredible, are we next going to talk about how the Iron Dome wasn't effective and how Palestinians were launching homemade rockets at Tel-Aviv?

The one smuggling operation that was discovered went through the Kerem Shalom crossing, not one of the Israel-facing tunnels, that's true.

Back to the Slav genocide supporter, how did the Jewish Yishuv gain international recognition and control over Green-line Israel? Did they use non-violence? :allears:

Seriously, I want to recap what you're expecting here. You're expecting 100% of Gazans to commit to non-violence somehow (ignoring that the closest that has been was when Hamas was able to control the other factions there, and Israel has repeatedly reneged on its promises in that area and then repeatedly destroyed Hamas's ability to do this), and their "reward" would be to slowly be disenfranchised and ethnically cleansed, as their compatriots are in the West Bank. Am I stating this right?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hakimashou posted:

I think it's fine, I think they should be recognized as a nation, the two-state solution is probably the best solution. I don't have any love lost on benjamin nethanyahu or the israeli right wing, or any right wing for that matter.

I am skeptical that they will be able to actually make any sort of end-run around the wishes of the US and its allies.

I think that the west bank should be treated better, that Israel should take pains to show that if the palestinians stop attacking israel, things will get better for them- there have to be incentives as well as disincentives.

But, Hamas is not blameless for the state of the West Bank. Every time Hamas calls for the destruction of israel, or launches some kind of attack, it fuels the Israeli right and hurts the interests of the palestinians. That's probably not fair or right, but that's the way it works.

Why would Israel make any deal with a non violent Palestinian movement? They have nothing to lose by continuing to bulldoze the West Bank when Abbas uses his goons to go after Palestinians, so they just stall out every negotiation with more onerous demands.

That is the result of non violence. There's absolutely zero incentive for Israel to honestly negotiate. They know that over time they can take more and more land and weaken the Palestinian movement. An absolute commitment to non violence plays into Netenyahu and his ilk's hands. The use of violence and non-violence is a tactical concern and should be determined by actual circumstances.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm not going to explain the Israeli narrative here right now (maybe after a few more cups of coffee I will) but it's seriously amazing that TIC is the only one who is seemingly even able to grasp what it is.

Edit: seriously some of you guys are still doing the 'the tunnels into Israel and inside of Gaza were used for smuggling goods' which personally I find incredible, are we next going to talk about how the Iron Dome wasn't effective and how Palestinians were launching homemade rockets at Tel-Aviv?

We can grasp the israeli narrative: it's just a terribly stupid one. As well as a revisionist one: the "terror tunnels" and rocket strikes didn't become a war goal until after the war was already started! They quite literally have nothing to do with the whole thing!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The tunnels into Israel were strategic defensive military assets, and as such were only used to target IDF forces during Operation Protective Edge. The way they were described by Israeli propaganda as potential terror threats was utter bullshit, and only a way to justify their campaign of shock and awe. I don't care for the Israeli narrative, really. It's really transparent.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i strike at you powerfully from my terror tunnel

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Nobody cares about the Israeli narrative anymore. It is trivial, predictable, hysterical, and unless you are shilling on MSNBC it is not worth making reference to.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well this is completely boring to me so on to a different topic, to anyone who cares about the IDF/JaN connection, the gag order over the arrest of Sudaki al-Makt, the Druze Israeli-national who apparently took the photos of JaN and IDF forces being buddy-buddies in Quneitra has been lifted, which to me seems to irrefutably prove the validity of the photographs and the ties between JaN and IDF.

This is one of the photos btw:

Do any of you Syria enthusiasts recognize the flag flying in the background? As far as I can tell the al Nusra flag is black and the text is different.

Gotta wonder what's the endgame here exactly, is Israel interested in allowing JaN and their affiliates to carve their own country out of the Syrian golan? Seems like the only purpose behind something like that is weakening Hezbollah/Assad/Iran presence along the Israeli/Syrian border, I don't know a lot about al Nusra but I have a hard time understanding why we'd want a potentially unstable al Qaeda affiliate on the border rather than Assad/Hezbollah who've proven themselves to be relatively rational actors as far as Israel is concerned.

MonsieurChoc posted:

We can grasp the israeli narrative: it's just a terribly stupid one. As well as a revisionist one: the "terror tunnels" and rocket strikes didn't become a war goal until after the war was already started! They quite literally have nothing to do with the whole thing!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

The tunnels into Israel were strategic defensive military assets, and as such were only used to target IDF forces during Operation Protective Edge. The way they were described by Israeli propaganda as potential terror threats was utter bullshit, and only a way to justify their campaign of shock and awe. I don't care for the Israeli narrative, really. It's really transparent.

The tunnels were used well before that actually, not directly in the prelude to protective edge but that's how Gilad Shalit was captured, the rocket attacks from Gaza also intensified before Hamas officially entered the campaign just check the actual timeline, it still has nothing to do with the fact that parroting "The tunnels were used for smuggling!" is about as revisionist as it gets, it is true that Protective Edge had classic "objective creep" but once the scope of the tunnels were discovered they served as the pretext for the ground invasion, you can consider it 'revisionist' or 'transparent' all you want but that's what the IDF was doing for about a month in Gaza. That Israel tried to agitate Gazan militants with Brother's Keeper is true but it's also true that once that was underway the Islamic Jihad and other groups intensified rocket fire.

You can find the official narrative stupid and deceitful, no real qualms there, but you can stick to the actual facts, they're well recorded.

Edit: for anyone reading this thread who is interested in a more meticulous review of the actual timeline and the recorded actions and statements of the Israeli government this appears to be a generally good article- http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/sep/25/failure-gaza/

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 27, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The tunnels were used well before that actually, not directly in the prelude to protective edge but that's how Gilad Shalit was captured, the rocket attacks from Gaza also intensified before Hamas officially entered the campaign just check the actual timeline, it still has nothing to do with the fact that parroting "The tunnels were used for smuggling!" is about as revisionist as it gets, it is true that Protective Edge had classic "objective creep" but once the scope of the tunnels were discovered they served as the pretext for the ground invasion, you can consider it 'revisionist' or 'transparent' all you want but that's what the IDF was doing for about a month in Gaza. That Israel tried to agitate Gazan militants with Brother's Keeper is true but it's also true that once that was underway the Islamic Jihad and other groups intensified rocket fire.

You can find the official narrative stupid and deceitful, no real qualms there, but you can stick to the actual facts, they're well recorded.

Edit: for anyone reading this thread who is interested in a more meticulous review of the actual timeline and the recorded actions and statements of the Israeli government this appears to be a generally good article- http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/sep/25/failure-gaza/

Come on man, you're better than this.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Come on man, you're better than this.

He's actually absolutely correct, and you could see coverage of the scandal of the "terror tunnels" being ignored even though they were a known problem all the way back to 2007 for several months after Protective Edge. Netanyahu managed to scare people with Iran and for some reason ZC didn't bother capitalizing on this to any great extent, mind.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No no, let's get dragged into minutiae, this is completely new and not at all a way to behave as if trivial inaccuracies are comparable to the behavior of a rogue state that does nothing but lie and kill.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
And I'd consider most of you guys better than going 'the tunnels were used for smuggling!', yet here we are. Again.

Understanding the official propaganda fed to both sides is critical to both understanding why the actions of the Israeli government enjoyed massive popular support during the operation itself as well as to deconstructing the arguments raised itt by people who might not share your worldview, understanding for instance that while the campaign was intentionally agitated by Israel the sense of fear felt by Israeli civilians due to the range of the rocket attacks and the extent of the tunnels is not 'fabricated' nor necessarily 'hysterical' is pertinent.

Even the Fink admitted that describing the Gazan rockets as "firecrackers" was 'unfair' and that the terror they instill upon the Israeli population cannot be honestly dismissed.

SedanChair posted:

No no, let's get dragged into minutiae, this is completely new and not at all a way to behave as if trivial inaccuracies are comparable to the behavior of a rogue state that does nothing but lie and kill.

But enough about the US.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

And I'd consider most of you guys better than going 'the tunnels were used for smuggling!', yet here we are. Again.

Understanding the official propaganda fed to both sides is critical to both understanding why the actions of the Israeli government enjoyed massive popular support during the operation itself as well as to deconstructing the arguments raised itt by people who might not share your worldview, understanding for instance that while the campaign was intentionally agitated by Israel the sense of fear felt by Israeli civilians due to the range of the rocket attacks and the extent of the tunnels is not 'fabricated' nor necessarily 'hysterical' is pertinent.

Even the Fink admitted that describing the Gazan rockets as "firecrackers" was 'unfair' and that the terror they instill upon the Israeli population cannot be honestly dismissed.

Hmm, that's actually a fair point. Still, it is mostly propaganda. The violence on display is almost completely one-sided, and treating the "terror tunnels" and rocket attacks as if they are somehow equivalent to or a justification for the violence inflicted on Palestinians on a daily basis is disingenuous at best.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

But enough about the US.

Or Canada. :smith:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah, enough about the US, because I haven't seen any of the American posters say anything like "well actually Saddam was deceptive about WMDs, was the Bush administration deceptive? Sure but you have to understand the propaganda that is being fed to both sides."

Isn't it a little late in the day for "and you are hanging negroes"?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

People have been treating JaN as a monolithic entity, but it's probably pretty fragmented. The territory Nusra controls is broken into several distinct zones of influence with Assad regime forces and other rebel groups in-between and the organization as a whole appears to be in a state of flux. Much of the upper leadership been gutted by years of war and many of the more hardened jihadis have left to join ISIS while at the same time many other more moderate opposition groups have been forced to align with JaN out of necessity. There's even been talk (though it might be just talk) of them cutting ties with Al-Qaeda outright, though they recently reaffirmed their loyalty. This is all suggestive of an organization with a bit of an identity crisis and many of its members may have divided loyalties. Al-Julani, the nominal leader, along with most of their command structure, appears to be based in the north of Syria and may not have full control over its subordinates in the south. Whether these guys meeting with the IDF in Golan represent the JaN central organization, a southern affiliate, some rebellious splinter group, or someone else entirely remains to be seen. Until we know exactly who the Israelis are meeting with, it will be hard to guess their reasons.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I really don't want to go over this again (yet here we are), I've clarified many times that the onus on resolving the conflict is clearly upon the Israeli government, I've also explained that as opposed to many people who side with the Palestinians I still believe that having an open dialogue with Israelis is not without merit and that sticking to the objective facts as closely as possible should be a priority.

And to de-escalate the discussion: sometimes I wake up and see posts in this thread and write down a semi-trolling response, I see that, I apologize, I am actually a hypocrite cause during protective edge I have been far from 'moderate and objective' in my discussions with Israelis and I personally accused an acquaintance who served in the IDF artillery during the operation of being a murderer, we severed ties afterwards, poo poo happens, I still believe that the truth is more helpful than merely picking sides.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I really don't want to go over this again (yet here we are), I've clarified many times that the onus on resolving the conflict is clearly upon the Israeli government, I've also explained that as opposed to many people who side with the Palestinians I still believe that having an open dialogue with Israelis is not without merit and that sticking to the objective facts as closely as possible should be a priority.

And to de-escalate the discussion: sometimes I wake up and see posts in this thread and write down a semi-trolling response, I see that, I apologize, I am actually a hypocrite cause during protective edge I have been far from 'moderate and objective' in my discussions with Israelis and I personally accused an acquaintance who served in the IDF artillery during the operation of being a murderer, we severed ties afterwards, poo poo happens, I still believe that the truth is more helpful than merely picking sides.

No no, you made a good point. Emotions run high and we all make post that we regret afterwards (like what I said abotu Settlers during Protective Edge).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Martin Random posted:

This article is a little weird. It paints a dire picture of Gaza, but I know that despite the widespread devestation it describes (implying a genocidal aim wrt the blockades/power games/whatever Israel is doing), the population is still growing. When they gave unemployment in hundreds of thousands, rather than percentages, I got suspicious. I checked the population of gaza vs. the 200,000 the article claims is unemployed; that amounts to 11% unemployment.

11% unemployment, given the circumstances of widespread death, destruction, and mayhem that the article describes, is pretty drat good. Way to go Gazans! I'm amazed given the Israeli blockades, lack of basic materials, shortage of even fresh water so that people don't die of exposure, the funding shortfalls, the random Israeili death squads, and all the other poo poo they've managed to have such a low unemployment rate.

Way to go. They're trying. Hard.

The Gazan population is incredibly young. 200,000 unemployed out of a population of 1.8 million does not give 11% unemployment. 45% of the 1.8 million are under 15. Another 3% are above 65. This leaves about 790,000 people in the 15-64 age bracket. Not 100% of these will want a job for various reasons, or be able to work, and thus aren't counted as unemployed. So unemployment breaks 30% easily, I wouldn't be surprised if it was significantly higher than that still. The reason you don't get an exact percentage is, who the gently caress is keeping accurate statistics about U1-U6 unemployment in loving Gaza?

E: Eh, beaten, oh well.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well this is completely boring to me so on to a different topic

I appreciate the joke that this is also the perspective of the international community with regards to Gaza in general.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Bibi is softening up:

quote:

Israel will allow the transfer of hundreds of millions of shekels in tax revenues to the Palestinian Authority, the prime minister's bureau announced on Friday.

The revenues, which Israel collects on behalf of the authority, have been withheld for the past four months following the authority's referral of Israel to the International Criminal Court in The Hague for possible war crimes.

The bureau said in its statement that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had accepted the recommendation of Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon, the Israel Defense Forces, and the Shin Bet security service that the revenues be transferred.

Israel will transfer tax revenues that have accumulated since February, less payments for services provided by Israeli entities, including the Israel Electricity Corporation, the water authority and hospitals.

"The decision was made, among other things, for humanitarian reasons and out of an overall assessment of Israel's interests at this time," according to the statement.

https://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.649238

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well, http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/27/israel-kills-more-palestinians-2014-than-any-other-year-since-1967

quote:

Israel killed more Palestinian civilians in 2014 than any in other year since the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip began in 1967, a UN report has said.

Israel’s activities in the Gaza Strip, West Bank and East Jerusalem resulted in the deaths of 2,314 Palestinians and 17,125 injuries last year, compared with 39 deaths and 3,964 injuries in 2013, according to the annual report by the UN Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

At least there's something to be said about 'rightist' governments not being worse than the 'leftist' ones, I think we can all agree Bibi really is the worst.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Not that "the tunnels were used for smuggling" isn't dumb and naive, but there actually is smuggling going on from Israel to Gaza. Several Israeli businessmen were charged about a month ago with running a smuggling operation to sneak large amounts of dangerous dual-use goods like "metal" through the border crossing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Not that "the tunnels were used for smuggling" isn't dumb and naive, but there actually is smuggling going on from Israel to Gaza. Several Israeli businessmen were charged about a month ago with running a smuggling operation to sneak large amounts of dangerous dual-use goods like "metal" through the border crossing.

I referred to that earlier. Notably, tunnels were not used.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Were the tunnels into Sinai not attacked during Protective Edge? Can't seem to get a clear answer from Google.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm sorry I brought up smuggling in the Israel tunnels. I am well aware that the tunnels were dug and used for offensive purposes, and I guess I felt that it was just common knowledge to this thread and didn't need a specific disclaimer. I think I was trying to make the point that since Israel's offensive was not actually provoked by the tunnels, any hypothetical peaceful application would make them a net positive. I phrased it poorly and it was a stupid argument to begin with and I apologize.

I stand by everything else I said, and I maintain that TIC and ilk have yet to adequately explain how the blame for the mass slaughter of civilians and destruction of vital infrastructure falls on Gaza rather than the people dropping the bombs.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well, http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/27/israel-kills-more-palestinians-2014-than-any-other-year-since-1967

At least there's something to be said about 'rightist' governments not being worse than the 'leftist' ones, I think we can all agree Bibi really is the worst.

And that's only counting direct civilians deaths. How many more have died due to a lack of access to proper water, food, medicine or electricity?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Kajeesus posted:

I stand by everything else I said, and I maintain that TIC and ilk have yet to adequately explain how the blame for the mass slaughter of civilians and destruction of vital infrastructure falls on Gaza rather than the people dropping the bombs.

They'll never answer that because there's no answer but mass genocide to them.

EDIT: VVVV Jesus Christ VVVV

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
:stare: Holy crap. The US has revealed a previously-classified 1987 DoD report on the military technology of our allies, including Israel. In fact, the paper as released describes only the military technology of Israel - everything about our other allies' technology is redacted, leaving only Israel-related materials. For the most part, given the age and nature of the report, it's all obsolete and quite harmless to Israel...except for the section that describes the current capabilities and research objectives of Israel's nuclear weapons program, something that the US has previously refused to officially admit the existence of. Now we know, for instance, that in 1987 Israel had fission bomb capabilities comparable to what the US had in the late 50s, and that they were actively working towards hydrogen bombs.

Now, this doesn't change Israel's overall status. However, it indicates a fundamental change in their relationship with the US, which has previously played dumb and pretended that they knew nothing about potential Israeli nuclear capabilities. It also injects quite an embarrassing element into Israel's current diplomatic efforts, as publicly exposing Israel as a nuclear state is something that can play a role in diplomatic negotiations concerning Iran's nuclear program.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/193175#.VRWMhuHJ2b0
http://irmep.org/cfp/DoD/071987_CTAIIANN.pdf

quote:

In a development that has largely been missed by mainstream media, the Pentagon early last month quietly declassified a Department of Defense top-secret document detailing Israel's nuclear program, a highly covert topic that Israel has never formally announced to avoid a regional nuclear arms race, and which the US until now has respected by remaining silent.

But by publishing the declassified document from 1987, the US reportedly breached the silent agreement to keep quiet on Israel's nuclear powers for the first time ever, detailing the nuclear program in great depth.

The timing of the revelation is highly suspect, given that it came as tensions spiraled out of control between Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and US President Barack Obama ahead of Netanyahu's March 3 address in Congress, in which he warned against the dangers of Iran's nuclear program and how the deal being formed on that program leaves the Islamic regime with nuclear breakout capabilities.

Another highly suspicious aspect of the document is that while the Pentagon saw fit to declassify sections on Israel's sensitive nuclear program, it kept sections on Italy, France, West Germany and other NATO countries classified, with those sections blocked out in the document.

The 386-page report entitled "Critical Technological Assessment in Israel and NATO Nations" gives a detailed description of how Israel advanced its military technology and developed its nuclear infrastructure and research in the 1970s and 1980s.

Israel is "developing the kind of codes which will enable them to make hydrogen bombs. That is, codes which detail fission and fusion processes on a microscopic and macroscopic level," reveals the report, stating that in the 1980s Israelis were reaching the ability to create bombs considered a thousand times more powerful than atom bombs.

The revelation marks a first in which the US published in a document a description of how Israel attained hydrogen bombs.

The report also notes research laboratories in Israel "are equivalent to our Los Alamos, Lawrence Livermore and Oak Ridge National Laboratories," the key labs in developing America's nuclear arsenal.

Israel's nuclear infrastructure is "an almost exact parallel of the capability currently existing at our National Laboratories," it adds.

"As far as nuclear technology is concerned the Israelis are roughly where the U.S. was in the fission weapon field in about 1955 to 1960," the report reveals, noting a time frame just after America tested its first hydrogen bomb.

Institute for Defense Analysis, a federally funded agency operating under the Pentagon, penned the report back in 1987.

Aside from nuclear capabilities, the report revealed Israel at the time had "a totally integrated effort in systems development throughout the nation," with electronic combat all in one "integrated system, not separated systems for the Army, Navy and Air Force." It even acknowledged that in some cases, Israeli military technology "is more advanced than in the U.S."

Declassifying the report comes at a sensitive timing as noted above, and given that the process to have it published was started three years ago, that timing is seen as having been the choice of the American government.

US journalist Grant Smith petitioned to have the report published based on the Freedom of Information Act. Initially the Pentagon took its time answering, leading Smith to sue, and a District Court judge to order the Pentagon to respond to the request.

Smith, who heads the Institute for Research: Middle East Policy, reportedly said he thinks this is the first time the US government has officially confirmed that Israel is a nuclear power, a status that Israel has long been widely known to have despite being undeclared.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
This is what happens when you start believing your own hype, as far as Bibi thinking he can bully the US around.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Main Paineframe posted:

:stare: Holy crap. The US has revealed a previously-classified 1987 DoD report on the military technology of our allies, including Israel. In fact, the paper as released describes only the military technology of Israel - everything about our other allies' technology is redacted, leaving only Israel-related materials. For the most part, given the age and nature of the report, it's all obsolete and quite harmless to Israel...except for the section that describes the current capabilities and research objectives of Israel's nuclear weapons program, something that the US has previously refused to officially admit the existence of. Now we know, for instance, that in 1987 Israel had fission bomb capabilities comparable to what the US had in the late 50s, and that they were actively working towards hydrogen bombs.

Now, this doesn't change Israel's overall status. However, it indicates a fundamental change in their relationship with the US, which has previously played dumb and pretended that they knew nothing about potential Israeli nuclear capabilities. It also injects quite an embarrassing element into Israel's current diplomatic efforts, as publicly exposing Israel as a nuclear state is something that can play a role in diplomatic negotiations concerning Iran's nuclear program.

It's really obvious that the hatred of Bibi is super personal for Obama now. Probably more personal than Obama's hatred of Romney.

Proceed Prime Minister :smuggo:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't really understand the thinking behind declassifying this but boy, that's going to be a big deal.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well this is completely boring to me so on to a different topic, to anyone who cares about the IDF/JaN connection, the gag order over the arrest of Sudaki al-Makt, the Druze Israeli-national who apparently took the photos of JaN and IDF forces being buddy-buddies in Quneitra has been lifted, which to me seems to irrefutably prove the validity of the photographs and the ties between JaN and IDF.

Reminds me of this Palestinian satire of an ISIS checkpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5nigZzgf4Y

(yes, I know, MEMRI, still funny)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

evilweasel posted:

I don't really understand the thinking behind declassifying this but boy, that's going to be a big deal.

It goes to a pattern of the US intelligence community poo poo-talking Israel in Congress as exposed in Newsweek a few months ago. US Defense apparently is not okay with Israel's bullshit anymore.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It goes to a pattern of the US intelligence community poo poo-talking Israel in Congress as exposed in Newsweek a few months ago. US Defense apparently is not okay with Israel's bullshit anymore.

Frankly I'm only annoyed that it took the realpolitik arms of USG this long to go "you know, maybe Israel's being counterproductive to the ends of the Glorious Empire".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I look forward to this entering the discourse on the Iran nuclear deal, since I assume that's the reason to leak it now. Signalling that if Israel tries to sabotage the deal then America will give them the headache of being an undeclared nuclear state is a pretty clever threat, especially since it's hard for opponents to hit Obama on without giving the game away themselves - Netanyahu can hardly give a press release saying "Don't mention our nukes!", can he?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I personally hope "we would never spy on our closes ally" gets followed by a "we have no nuclear program! This is libel!"

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I think their release is as much for partly disarming critics of an Iranian nuclear deal as it is for showing disapproval of Israel's government.

e, you said it better:

Dolash posted:

I look forward to this entering the discourse on the Iran nuclear deal, since I assume that's the reason to leak it now. Signalling that if Israel tries to sabotage the deal then America will give them the headache of being an undeclared nuclear state is a pretty clever threat, especially since it's hard for opponents to hit Obama on without giving the game away themselves - Netanyahu can hardly give a press release saying "Don't mention our nukes!", can he?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dolash posted:

As I noted in the USPOL thread yesterday, Israeli Western sources have dropped leaks about possibly letting Iran keep some centrifuges running to a reporter who has previously reported Israeli propaganda about the Iranian program. So Bibi is working hard to derail the deal before Sunday.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Main Paineframe posted:

Zeitgueist posted:

This is what happens when you start believing your own hype, as far as Bibi thinking he can bully the US around.
You having fun yet Bibi? How's that that "unbreakable" US-Israeli bond doing? Cause from here it's looking more and more tenuous.:getin:

Seriously, if you wanted an official "poo poo has changed forever" point, the US purposefully leaking Israel's nuclear weapons capabilities is it. There's no going back from that, and while everyone has known that Israel has had nuclear weapons for years, this makes it officially public that Israel Is A Nuclear State.

I have to congratulate Bibi; I hate his guts, but he's done more for the US-Israeli relationship than I ever thought possible.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Proceed Prime Minister :smuggo:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 27, 2015

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i will settle for nothing less than obama destroying bibi with his own bare hands in front of the cheering united nations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Avshalom posted:

i will settle for nothing less than obama destroying bibi with his own bare hands in front of the cheering united nations

What network will get the rights to air this?

• Locked thread