Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

fun fact: gnome's mail client is named "evolution" because we wanted to troll kde into making "kreationism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i thought it was called evolution because it's stuck in a 2001-era evolutionary dead end and people mostly just want to take it out the back and shoot it at this point

geary's kind of almost ok but it's been at like version 0.3 for a very long time

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
evolution takes millions of years

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lol how many times has somebody started a greenfield gui mail client for linux

and do their developers use them or do they just use mutt

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Just use KDE: The Least Garbage Linux Desktop, and then you already have the packages you need to run whatever it is I can't be assed to scoll up.

but then you get some apps that look like this because the kde developers have a burning hate for client side decorations:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The_Franz posted:

but then you get some apps that look like this because the kde developers have a burning hate for client side decorations:

:pwn:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The_Franz posted:

too many buttons imo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the gnome application is trying to draw a shadow over other applications behind it lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

1. you had to specially configure kde to force this behavior; it doesn't happen when i do it

2. it's really dumb for gnome to be painting its own decorations

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1. you had to specially configure kde to force this behavior; it doesn't happen when i do it

i didn't configure anything. it's basically a fresh install of kde 5.2 on fedora 21

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Suspicious Dish posted:

fun fact: gnome's mail client is named "evolution" because we wanted to troll kde into making "kreationism"

this owns btw

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

this owns btw

ya

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

I didn't know that; I thought it was just a riff off the Helix Code/monkey theme stuff that was going around at the time, before it was even part of GNOME.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
kmail was pretty much krap.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
yeah I can't defend that garbage just use thunderbird.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
U HAVE KOME TO A WORLD CALLED KOOL *kernel panic*

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I just install evrey desktop environment available of ubunut. Seeing the update notification alert again immediately after updating is just like ASMR.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

ZShakespeare posted:

yeah I can't defend that garbage just use thunderbird.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I love how evolution keeps a process in memory to do database lookups that stays in memory after evolution quits or even after the user logs out.

So, when the process craps out (once every week) it is easier to tell someone over the phone to reboot their computer rather than search their process list and type "kill 4472".

Either that, or go without ldap autocomplete, but with the recent high frequency of kernel updates (which necessitates a reboot anyway) the issue has magically gone away.

Actually, we've just dumped it in favor of Thunderbird since it reliably handles calendars now.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
thunderbird doesn't have exchange yet though unless i am wrong

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Celexi posted:

thunderbird doesn't have exchange yet though unless i am wrong

what good is a "mail client" if it wont support hte only mail server 99.9999999999% of people are ever trying to connect to?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it's not free and open though so it's bound to lose to something that is, like the superior open standard smtp

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
right cool good but what's a "Free" client that can connect to exchange?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
evolution does

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
ok sorry nvm i should not have asked because i dont really care for an answer, since i just use outlook when im connecting to exchange. Or my iphone when i'm not at work physically.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
sniep - there called "old people" who don't want to learn that new fangled "web mail".

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

SYSV Fanfic posted:

sniep - there called "old people" who don't want to learn that new fangled "web mail".

this is truth, the only people i know who still use non-webmail are:

1. my 90-year-old grandmother (uses thunderbird)
2. my 70-year-old aunt (uses idk whatever comes with os x)
3. anyone with a job at a proper company run by successful adults (uses outlook)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i like having a copy of my mail on my harddisk

never know when your gonna get owned

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Soricidus posted:

this is truth, the only people i know who still use non-webmail are:

1. my 90-year-old grandmother (uses thunderbird)
2. my 70-year-old aunt (uses idk whatever comes with os x)
3. anyone with a job at a proper company run by successful adults (uses outlook)

you forgot the jobs at companies ran by complete idiots (lotus notes)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Maximum Leader posted:

you forgot the jobs at companies ran by complete idiots (lotus notes)

i don't know anyone that unfortunate

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

i don't know anyone that unfortunate

do any one of us know shaggar, really

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i like having a copy of my mail on my harddisk

never know when your gonna get owned

fetchmail.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

esr code, 5 yard penalty

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

esr code, 5 yard penalty

esr didn't write fetchmail.

he just called himself fetchmail's "maintainer" and then tried to convince its users to change over to something he wrote

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

esr didn't write fetchmail.

he just called himself fetchmail's "maintainer" and then tried to convince its users to change over to something he wrote

as with ncurses or something else?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
‘Goodbye Photoshop’ and ‘Hello Krita’ at University Paris 8 https://krita.org/item/goodbye-photoshop-and-hello-krita-at-university-paris-8/

good, gently caress you adobe

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

as with ncurses or something else?

i don't know the ncurses story

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't know the ncurses story

it's glorious in only the way mid-90s open source can be

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU