Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:chome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

surprised they're not reporting it as 8,000.000 units sold

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

surprised they're not reporting it as 8,000.000 units sold
i lolled

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/27/us-blackberry-results-idUSKBN0MN18G20150327

quote:

Our financial viability is no longer in question. We're now turning our attention to revenue stabilization," BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen said on a conference call.
lol

quote:

"Chen and his team are one of the better management teams out there," said BGC Partners analyst Colin Gillis. "But they have a lot of selling and a lot of execution to do."
looool

quote:

Excluding one-time items, quarterly profit was $20 million, or 4 cents a share. Analysts, on average, looked for a loss of 4 cents a share.

Revenue, however, slid to $660 million from $793 million, well below estimates of $786.4 million.
lmao

quote:

BlackBerry reported positive cash flow of $76 million in the quarter, and its cash position rose to $3.27 billion in the fourth quarter, from $3.1 billion in the third quarter.

:psyduck:

it will never die

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

those 8,000 units must have been really really expensive

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

guaranteed it's all the tail end of enterprise contracts signed >5 years ago

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i found the problem

"Excluding one-time items, quarterly profit was $20 million, or 4 cents a share." is actually "Non-GAAP earnings of $0.04 per share"

"GAAP net loss for the quarter was $148 million, or $0.28 per share"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

and they were cashflow positive thanks to a 105 million firesale of assets, mostly a bunch of patents

:ms:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

and they were cashflow positive thanks to a 105 million firesale of assets, mostly a bunch of patents

yep, it's all bullshit. they also cut their R&D budget to nothing, so that cuts down on expenses. the fact that nobody in the press is calling them out on it is shameful

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Beeftweeter posted:

those 8,000 units must have been really really expensive

they're floating on BES license revenue

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

yep, it's all bullshit. they also cut their R&D budget to nothing, so that cuts down on expenses. the fact that nobody in the press is calling them out on it is shameful

the nice thing about destroying your product pipeline is it takes 2-4 quarters for anyone to notice at which point you've stacked up another bonus or two and prepared your exit [if you're an executive]

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

How much stuff do they have left to sell?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eric posted:

How much stuff do they have left to sell?

blackberries are only manufactured when needed

so nothing really

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

do they still have real estate left

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Pinterest Mom posted:

They sold pretty much every building in Waterloo and closed a call center in Halifax

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

looking at the q3 2015 financial statement, they had 1.1 billion in real estate+plants+equipment a year ago

and six months later they had 588 million

everything
must
go

(the equivalent document for the most recent quarter isn't available yet)

e: oh, found it, 556 million in the most recent quarter. the drop from 588 million is probably mostly depreciation.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 27, 2015

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

looking at the q3 2015 financial statement, they had 1.1 billion in real estate+plants+equipment a year ago

and six months later they had 588 million

everything
must
go

(the equivalent document for the most recent quarter isn't available yet)

e: oh, found it, 556 million in the most recent quarter. the drop from 588 million is probably mostly depreciation.

yeah somehow a big seller in their area sold a bunch of real estate driving prices down

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

they've still got a couple buildings in mississauga that i'm pretty sure are theirs.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

gently caress you there's no way this is the real name of a real place.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

teamdest posted:

we named our cities after the aboriginal tribes we stole them from.

canada is hardcore like that

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

teamdest posted:

salmon arm

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

infernal machines posted:

the us does this too

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Canada has basically honored 0 agreements towards the first peoples. The only ones we deal with are the ones lucky enough to still survive
america at least honored a couple

British North America knows how to conduct "quiet" genocide like no other

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 30, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Canada has basically honored 0 agreements towards the first peoples. The only ones we deal with are the ones lucky enough to still survive
america at least honored a couple

British North America knows how to conduct "quiet" genocide like no other

aww would you like a blanket?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

i don't defend mass murder, i call it out

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

i wouldn't mind a Che-style Louis Riel shirt to gently caress with the two canadians who'd get the reference

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Mister Macys posted:

what about the first peoples...of the smartphone industry

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

what about the first peoples...of the smartphone industry

they subcontracted that out to the cartel of Rogers, Bell, and Telus.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the canadian media establishment is seeing signs of trouble for blackberry

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

the canadian media establishment is seeing signs of trouble for blackberry

time for the teacher's pension fund to invest massively in blackberry then

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you mean "again" right

they bought 90 million worth of shares in november

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

of course they did, i wonder if they are still buying those sweet nortel shares as well (of course they do)

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

which reminds me of this story

I offer the following story with apologies to Dean Staff who appears to be the author of the original version.

Big Ted lived a full life and died in the year 2000, leaving only $10,000 to be split equally between his sons Ted Junior and Tim. Tim took his $5000 and immediately invested in the hot stock of the day, Nortel. After paying the sales commission, he got 40 shares.

Ted Junior was more like his father and decided to spend his money on a huge party for his friends. Ted’s $5000 paid for 166 cases of beer that was all consumed in a huge bash. It took a week to clean up after this party. Ted piled all the empties in the back of his garage and forgot about them for a long time.

A month ago, Ted decided to clean out his garage. A few of his friends who had partied with him over 8 years earlier helped bring all the empties back to the beer store. There was surprisingly little breakage, and Ted got back enough from the empties to buy 13 more cases of beer for another smaller party.

This time Ted took the empties back to the beer store promptly for a return of 13x$2.40=$31.20. This was just enough to buy another case. He finished the last beer in that case last night and cashed in the empties this morning for $2.40.

Over his coffee this morning, Tim was checking his stocks. At the bottom of the list was the sad line showing his shares of Nortel. After the 10 to 1 reverse split of Nortel stock, Tim’s 40 shares had turned into only 4 shares. They now trade for only 10 cents each. Tim’s original $5000 investment is now worth $0.40.

Ted the partier put everything he had into beer three times, and he still has more money than his brother Tim who invested “for the future.”

People are likely to see different morals in a story like this. Some will say “live for today.” Others might say that stocks are too dangerous. I think the real moral is to avoid buying the hot stock of the day and make sure that your investments are properly diversified.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i remember how pissed ontario teachers were when nortel poo poo itself.

it was ugly.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

well if they try a demonstration this time, how many things have to go wrong for the police not to get to machinegun them?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the moral of the story is to convert your money into bitcoins that you can trade for an iphone that turns out to be bits of string and a washer in the wendys parking lot after they close

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

you mean "again" right

they bought 90 million worth of shares in november

What's it worth now? :haw:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mister Macys posted:

What's it worth now? :haw:

a nice tax loss harvest

e: (depending on when they bought it I think 65-80M)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 30, 2015

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

i remember how pissed ontario teachers were when nortel poo poo itself.

it was ugly.

it was loving hilarious

I knew a guy who worked at nortel and was oh so smug about being an engineer and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

it was loving hilarious

I knew a guy who worked at nortel and was oh so smug about being an engineer and

me too. i lived in brampton at the time, the same city where nortel had their massive business campus.

those were interesting times

• Locked thread