Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I'm working on the Telco Tower at 33 Thomas in Manhattan. Wikipedia Link

WIP obviously

e: Oh, poo poo, top of the page with my lovely half-done model, uh, ...
Have some pictures of the city it'll be placed in!

I'm very proud of it. Even the highways and the traintracks will be gridded.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Another Person posted:

I just subbed to all of that persons billboards

i wish more buildings had billboards on them by default, it seems like it is mostly commercial stuff which have them on, I want to see more billboards on residential growables

Not sure if modders have figured out how to add new signs and billboards into the mix. I assume a building pulls the billboard prop and that in turn pulls a random texture to use. Kind of want to see tons of different ones added to the mix if possible. then you just download a bunch of billboard texture collections. That's my ideal set up anyway. I'm sure it's not like at all. :(

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Baronjutter posted:

Peds will walk on sidewalks just fine too. I'm not sure all the elevated walkways actually get people to walk more. I think you could have gotten the the level of walking just by making sure all your dead end roads were connected with a short at-grade path near crosswalks. The whole "fused grid" approach.

Would they really walk across the entire city though just using sidewalks? I have spent some time just randomly follow citizens and they seem to be willing to walk very long distances on pedestrian paths, but I haven't noticed it a lot with sidewalks.

Domattee posted:

I'm working on the Telco Tower at 33 Thomas in Manhattan. Wikipedia Link

WIP obviously

e: Oh, poo poo, top of the page with my lovely half-done model, uh, ...
Have some pictures of the city it'll be placed in!

That building always gave me chills when I walked past it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bel Monte posted:

Not sure if modders have figured out how to add new signs and billboards into the mix. I assume a building pulls the billboard prop and that in turn pulls a random texture to use. Kind of want to see tons of different ones added to the mix if possible. then you just download a bunch of billboard texture collections. That's my ideal set up anyway. I'm sure it's not like at all. :(

There's props that are just random billboards so theoretically anytime a building/park gets loaded that has the random billboard in it, the customs would hopefully have a chance of popping up.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Well I'm officially getting the [System.NullReferenceException] error upon loading my savegame i spent days making. As far as I know there is no way to fix this. Think I'm done with this game

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

What are people using as a standard freeway on/offramp setup? Been experimenting with different setups involving roundabouts under elevated highway but they're kind of a pain in the rear end to set up and take a lot of room. Would be interested to see what is working well for people.

Also, how should I be using resources? Like for forestry, do I need to place my zones in the middle of a forest or is the idea that guys are out cutting wood somewhere and can bring it back to my industrial zone?

Check your imports/exports. If you're importing lots of a certain thing, you can stand to produce more of it. If you're exporting a lot of a thing you can be fine without expanding that unless you just want more of it. Industry makes a lot of traffic so one strategy is to build as little as possible of it and only build various industries if your city starts to really suffer from it. Commercial will import goods, factories will import raw materials, but sometimes it gets stuck in bottlenecks or doesn't come at all so you need some local production to help.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Well I'm officially getting the [System.NullReferenceException] error upon loading my savegame i spent days making. As far as I know there is no way to fix this. Think I'm done with this game

Revert your game back to the previous patch. There's a bug with patch 1.07b.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

saucepanman posted:

Revert your game back to the previous patch. There's a bug with patch 1.07b.

How do I even...

VVVVV Thanks!

Atheist Sunglasses fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 27, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

How do I even...

Right click on the Cities: Skylines entry in your game list -> properties -> betas -> select 1.06b from the dropdown menu

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Count Roland posted:

That is loving amazing, your cims are actually using all the lanes available to them!

I constantly see traffic piling up on 6-lane streets because the bastards all want to make a right turn. Even if it isn't the same right turn, they still use only the single lane, including emergency vehicles. In Sheffield Park you have a busy 6 lane turning left into another 6 lane, and it flows so smoothly. On the other hand at the bottom of Coltan Row you have them lining up on the right, that's what I'm used to.

I don't understand why it works differently.

I've found that abusing merge ramps on either side of a major road like that will get cims to use the whole lane. I've got a lot of spaghetti running around but it was needed to alleviate a 'lets all sit in the right lane' pileup that happens. I also import about 70~ or so, but export 18.5k out, so everyone running cities that import things and produce little of your own? It's my city doing the production.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've developed a weird round-about that actually has exit ramps on the INSIDE which ends up balancing the inside and outside lane traffic. Would be nice though if the AI was a bit better so we didn't have to cludge stuff like that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Do you guys just not employ public transport or multiple entrances/exits to areas? I think every time I run into a major traffic issue caused by the AI going "well, we all have to be in the right lane here forever," I could fix it pretty easily just by giving traffic more/better options. Very rarely have I needed to just straight up do dumb poo poo like delete entire intersections.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't ever bother with buses or metros because once the city starts getting real big, drawing all those lines gets into :effort: territory for me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CJacobs posted:

I don't ever bother with buses or metros because once the city starts getting real big, drawing all those lines gets into :effort: territory for me.

Metro lines are easy as hell to draw out, but buses are annoying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just spam bus stops near residential and commercial zones to get the smiley faces. Making an actual effective bus system seems impossible.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Liberal_L33t posted:

Okay, I got this game and am generally in love with it but the 'Proper Hardness' mod is making me cry. I'm not even playing with it on the 'hard' setting, just the 'normal' setting of the mod which is supposed to not even increase build costs. Not only THAT, but I've also been playing with the "start with 1 million $" mod to take the tedium out of the early progression game. But for three cities in a row, the same thing has happened: I get to a population around 7000-8000, and then find myself suddenly trapped in an inescapable financial death-spiral. What's driving me crazy about this is that there are no major unmet needs or "problem bubbles" popping up. There are only two abandoned buildings in the whole drat town, happiness is positive, the RCI gauge is satisfied, my industries are operating, traffic problems are minor at worst... and yet I've apparently maneuvered myself into a position where the game is unwinnable. There is no overflowing poop, no garbage explosion, I cut service budgets to the minimum sustainable amount without causing problem bubbles - I still have about 16k in expenses to 12k revenue. Raising taxes to a level that closes the budget shortfall makes the city rapidly implode into a post-apocalyptic wasteland within a matter of weeks. This has happened almost the exact same way for three games in a row. I'm strongly considering uninstalling the 'proper hardness' mod at this point and going vanilla, since I can only assume that there is a single 'perfect' city layout which is just barely survive this punishing difficulty and the mod-maker balanced it around that. I'd hate to loving see what the mod looks like on "hard".

Here's a picture of my city for reference.

That's because the mod maker is one of those morons who thinks actual difficulty means making the game not-fun. All he did was change some numbers.

I'm actually plenty satisfied with the game's challenge level honestly. I never gave a poo poo about disasters (just build back over it?) and the fun part isn't wringing your hands over your budget, it's going from the red to the green after some careful and good decisions (which, granted, is way too easy and open in this game, but at the same time it makes many types of towns actually viable).

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
One line going just through residential zones with lots of stops, one line going through industrial zones with lots of stops, one or two lines with very few stops connecting the two

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
You hardly even need lots of stops, people will walk for days. I've watched people walk like 10 city blocks from their house to a bus stop, ride for a few stops and then walk 10 more blocks to their destination, when it would have been shorter to just walk straight there from home.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Try the stricter slopes mod if you want to play on a realistic looking map but still want a bit of challenge in how you place your roads.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Subyng posted:

Try the stricter slopes mod if you want to play on a realistic looking map but still want a bit of challenge in how you place your roads.

The roads in the game need slightly stricter slopes but it's really trains that need it. Does the mod apply to trains too? Although the worst offender are any turnouts on you railways, they come off at like 45 degrees and you can't actually make them any more gentle. Same with on/off ramps, there's a minimum angle to make an intersection. It's weird because in CiM2 the game would detect your angle and actually make it a merge lane or what ever if it was shallow enough and not let people do crazy left turns.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I just remembered this monstrosity (in winooski, VT)

It honestly looks like something someone would build in C:S. Yes, lets put two stoplights for pedestrians in the rotary :shepface:

Honorable mention for a neighborhood:

I tried to recreate it, but I ran out of space and couldn't put the hook in at the base :v:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

It honestly looks like something someone would build in C:S. Yes, lets put two stoplights for pedestrians in the rotary :shepface:

Honorable mention for a neighborhood:

I tried to recreate it, but I ran out of space and couldn't put the hook in at the base :v:

Looks like a dick with herpes

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The latest update broke the game? I downloaded it earlier but haven't played it yet. Should I not or is it fixed now?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Domattee posted:

Those highway interchanges :swoon:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

HORMELCHILI posted:

The latest update broke the game? I downloaded it earlier but haven't played it yet. Should I not or is it fixed now?

They rolled back the patch within an hour of realizing it was broken, so you should be fine to play.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

there are quite a few of these in the UK. honestly they're not too terrible. Admittedly, naming the park in the middle rotary park is a bit boring.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
What's with the top three Services policies, the ones for reducing power/water usage and distributing smoke detectors? The per-building upkeep cost makes them insanely expensive. My town of just over 8000 people has a power budget of $2350/week while producing a small surplus of power. Meanwhile enacting the power usage policy city-wide costs over $9500/week and reduces power demand by what looks like 10% or so from the graph.

Am I supposed to be cherry-picking high-usage districts to enact these in? It doesn't seem worth the effort, honestly, given how easy it is to run a surplus without the policies.

It's possible that I have a high building count relative to population due to the way I built my city (zoning lots of smaller parcels to start with, plus fairly irregular road layout), and I guess high density buildings will improve the cost-effectiveness further. Still seems insane that it can cost four times my entire power budget to install some meters or whatever.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

DEO3 posted:

Third patch in under a month, I like the cut of these guys' jib.

Nothing really sexy in there, but it's nice to see a developer who can patch their game more then 1-2 times a year.

Word. The reason many companies don't patch more often is because it's dangerous as hell (especially for a fiddly simulation game such as this). Any change you make to the code on a game of this scope (even simple things) is going to have a ton of unexpected dependencies that aren't immediately obvious, then releasing it into the wild exposes all the things you accidentally broke. Thank the QA team for making it happen.

Unless of course there's tons of broken stuff.

Raskolnikov posted:

I want to break your mousing hand! That is seriously pretty and you should upload this to the workshop.

Thanks, I'll take your violent appreciation. Unfortunately I have so many random active mods, 99% of players probably can't open the save game.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 27, 2015

wit
Jul 26, 2011

An ugly, bad idea. The :airquote:logic:airquote: behind it is that freight from outside of the city arrives in one station, gets driven across the road to the other and then distributed in a non-choking way. Does anyone have a more elegant solution that stops my 5 or so cargo stations from constantly sending and receiving rail from outside of the city and turning that one drat line into a frozen twisted up silly string mess of choo choos?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Uh, my city just went to hell cause my power plants got no fuel and I have no idea why. I was actually being careful and trying to do things properly this time:

Any idea why that happened?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Did you turn the road to the plant into a one way street?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Elman posted:

Uh, my city just went to hell cause my power plants got no fuel and I have no idea why. I was actually being careful and trying to do things properly this time:

Any idea why that happened?

You're not using green renewable energy you dirty fossil fuel user.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Domattee posted:

Did you turn the road to the plant into a one way street?

They're these 2:

They're one way but trucks should be able to reach it just fine. I didn't spot a single coal truck since I started looking.

I have a recent save I can use but it's just gonna happen again if I can't figure out the reason :saddowns:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Elman posted:

They're these 2:

They're one way but trucks should be able to reach it just fine. I didn't spot a single coal truck since I started looking.

I have a recent save I can use but it's just gonna happen if I can't figure out why :saddowns:

Switch to green energy? I don't even bother with fossil fuels because they seem broken or something. I've never seen a fuel truck either.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah that seems about right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Peds will walk on sidewalks just fine too. I'm not sure all the elevated walkways actually get people to walk more. I think you could have gotten the the level of walking just by making sure all your dead end roads were connected with a short at-grade path near crosswalks. The whole "fused grid" approach.

I find walkways useful for reducing traffic congestion, because if you have a quite dense area the sheer volume of people crossing the street will block the traffic.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Switch to green energy? I don't even bother with fossil fuels because they seem broken or something. I've never seen a fuel truck either.

Huh. I started using wind power but my coal plants seem to be working just fine this time around. Oh well, I didn't lose too much progress.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
I hope the voters don't find out the powerlines in this shot were disconnected by accident.

They got cut apart by running that road under the freeway a week or so before I placed the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fossil fuel plants just seem to randomly stop receiving shipments, probably a bug because bulldozing them and rebuilding always fixes it.