Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I accepted the Lollipop update on my Sprint Note 4 a while ago. Battery life seems to be OK, but the Wifi is atrocious. I know my Wifi is working because other devices can connect and access internet resources.

My phone can connect to Wifi, and it will work for a few minutes, but eventually the Wifi stops working.

I can still ping/SSH/RDP machines on my local network, so I know I am connected.
I can connect to internet resources by IP address.
Using PingTools I can ping google.com, but no other 'named' addresses.
I tried setting up my Wifi connection with static IP and static DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.8.4, but still no dice.

I have tried deleting the settings for my router on my phone, but that does not work. The only thing that gets the Wifi to run again is to reboot the phone, and then the Wifi only works properly for a few minutes. Sprint-provided data is unaffected by this problem. Rebooting the router does not work. Other devices connect and use the router's connection with no problems.

Any ideas?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tunga posted:

You can set the keyboard back to the old Holo theme in the Keyboard settings (long press comma).

My sister also went apeshit over this change because who knows.

Oh I told him how to do that, he's very non-specific about what he doesn't like other than some of the UI is "different". Can 4.4.4 be obtained from somewhere and flashed onto the device? He's doing my loving head in :smithicide:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Crossposted with the plan thread, but how easy is it to change phones on Cricket? Like for example if they use different size Sim cards. Would I be able to just buy an adaptor and swap Sim cards, then have cricket activate the new phone? Can I switch phones back and forth? I've been with Sprint for so long I don't know how this works :S

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh I told him how to do that, he's very non-specific about what he doesn't like other than some of the UI is "different". Can 4.4.4 be obtained from somewhere and flashed onto the device? He's doing my loving head in :smithicide:

Do not go down this road with your friend.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Your friend doesn't dislike Lollipop, he dislikes any kind of change. I know because my sister is the same. Just tell him to deal with it.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Tunga posted:

Your friend doesn't dislike Lollipop, he dislikes any kind of change. I know because my sister is the same. Just tell him to deal with it.

It's like Facebook. Whenever they change it up half my timeline is people complaining 'oh god this is terrible, change it back!!!' and posting polls and petitions. After a week it settles down then the next time it happens 'oh why have they changed Facebook, it was perfect before!!!'.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

Crossposted with the plan thread, but how easy is it to change phones on Cricket? Like for example if they use different size Sim cards. Would I be able to just buy an adaptor and swap Sim cards, then have cricket activate the new phone? Can I switch phones back and forth? I've been with Sprint for so long I don't know how this works :S

You can change plans on a whim from the app or online. Or even calling into CS I'm sure but why would you abuse yourself like that? I use a sim adapter. Got a nano originally and bought myself an adapter as my others phones have all been micro-sim.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Red Warrior posted:

I'd use the Material theme in SwiftKey if they actually gave you the theme that looks like the operating system you use it on. I wouldn't mind but I bought that program three times in various forms, the least they can do now they've gone free is give you a theme that matches your OS, make money off the idiots who want one of those hideous sports team themes.

I actually like SwiftKey's take on material design more than Google's stock keyboard :shrug:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
After cursing google for making my nexus 7 2012 basically unusable with Lollipop 5.02 I'm happy to report that the recent 5.1 update solved it all and made it seemingly better than the latest KitKat version it had before the shitstorm started.

Best gadget ever so far, I don't see myself replacing it anuytime soon .

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lblitzer posted:

You can change plans on a whim from the app or online. Or even calling into CS I'm sure but why would you abuse yourself like that? I use a sim adapter. Got a nano originally and bought myself an adapter as my others phones have all been micro-sim.

Yeah I was pulling my hair out trying to understand WHY I would want more then one Sim if I could just reuse the same one. Do you know how it works if I buy a phone direct from Cricket? They made it sound like I would NEED a new Sim card if I bought direct since it seems they want to activate it immediately before shipping.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah I was pulling my hair out trying to understand WHY I would want more then one Sim if I could just reuse the same one. Do you know how it works if I buy a phone direct from Cricket? They made it sound like I would NEED a new Sim card if I bought direct since it seems they want to activate it immediately before shipping.

I don't sorry, but I imagine it would be similar to just getting a sim and a plan, they send it out and you activate (and port if you're doing that) it when it arrives.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

If you already have an account on cricket, then you won't qualify for the rebate so then the phone won't be free.

If you're starting a new line of service the phone will actually come with a SIM card, then you can just use a SIM card adapter in order to move that SIM into any other phone. The SIM card won't be activated until you receive it, and there is no need to activate it when switching phones.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SB35 posted:

If you already have an account on cricket, then you won't qualify for the rebate so then the phone won't be free.

If you're starting a new line of service the phone will actually come with a SIM card, then you can just use a SIM card adapter in order to move that SIM into any other phone. The SIM card won't be activated until you receive it, and there is no need to activate it when switching phones.

Nah I already have Cricket, I think the chat rep thought I was a new customer too.. :)

I asked a different rep what I would need to do if I bought a phone direct from them on an existing line, and he said just swap the Sim card over and update the IMEI/MEID seems easy enough.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

PBCrunch posted:

I accepted the Lollipop update on my Sprint Note 4 a while ago. Battery life seems to be OK, but the Wifi is atrocious. I know my Wifi is working because other devices can connect and access internet resources.

My phone can connect to Wifi, and it will work for a few minutes, but eventually the Wifi stops working.

I can still ping/SSH/RDP machines on my local network, so I know I am connected.
I can connect to internet resources by IP address.
Using PingTools I can ping google.com, but no other 'named' addresses.
I tried setting up my Wifi connection with static IP and static DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.8.4, but still no dice.

I have tried deleting the settings for my router on my phone, but that does not work. The only thing that gets the Wifi to run again is to reboot the phone, and then the Wifi only works properly for a few minutes. Sprint-provided data is unaffected by this problem. Rebooting the router does not work. Other devices connect and use the router's connection with no problems.

Any ideas?

Have you tried to turn off "Smart wifi" (I think it's called)?

It helped when my wifi connection was flaky at home.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

update the IMEI/MEID seems easy enough.

No need for this. Just swap Sim cards.

You do know you don't qualify for the rebate unless you buy a new line with it, right?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SB35 posted:

No need for this. Just swap Sim cards.

You do know you don't qualify for the rebate unless you buy a new line with it, right?

Oh yeah I know, sorry I didn't clarify! :) I was honestly more curious how the procedure went. Thanks again!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a Nexus 5 on AT&T and I have yet to get the 5.1 OTA update.... is this normal?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

nerve posted:

Get a 2014 X or a Nexus 6.

Also you might be the only person that's ever called the X's OS cluttered.

I couldn't afford those phones (hence my getting of a 2013 X).

And cluttered might be the wrong word, but just in general the Android OS is aesthetically unpleasing and inconsistent. There seems to be no visual flow or uniformity to a lot of the design elements. Granted it's a SMALL issue... not a deal breaker in the least. And I want to see Lollipop on it too... I'm guessing that will fix all of my aesthetic issues.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, in the past few days I've installed both Android 5.1 and Inbox on my Nexus 5 (GSM, T-Mobile nerd plan). Anyone know which of the two would have wiped my Google calendar (both on the phone and on the web), and if there is a way to get it back?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BonoMan posted:

I couldn't afford those phones (hence my getting of a 2013 X).

And cluttered might be the wrong word, but just in general the Android OS is aesthetically unpleasing and inconsistent. There seems to be no visual flow or uniformity to a lot of the design elements. Granted it's a SMALL issue... not a deal breaker in the least. And I want to see Lollipop on it too... I'm guessing that will fix all of my aesthetic issues.

I think you're right, but these kinds of posts are just begging for criticism because you don't give any particular examples.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

nimper posted:

Do not go down this road with your friend.

Tunga posted:

You're preaching to the converted here, people. He's a nightmare but I want to be able to flash 4.4.4 back onto his device so he can sleep at night. Is it possible? You don't know what it's like!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I used to have a S3. Now I have a Moto X 2014. I am happy, in general, with the change. There is one major feature that I miss from my old phone and I am hoping for some advice.

On the S3, wherever I went, it would update the weather and a nice teeny readout would show at the top.

I've gone through a number of apps and though a few of them do this, they are very inconsistent. Some only show the "main" locations weather. Some, like WU, only update if I open the app for the most part.

I just want something that displays current info based on location and that works.

Advice?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I used to have a S3. Now I have a Moto X 2014. I am happy, in general, with the change. There is one major feature that I miss from my old phone and I am hoping for some advice.

On the S3, wherever I went, it would update the weather and a nice teeny readout would show at the top.

I've gone through a number of apps and though a few of them do this, they are very inconsistent. Some only show the "main" locations weather. Some, like WU, only update if I open the app for the most part.

I just want something that displays current info based on location and that works.

Advice?

What app did you use for this on the S3? I'm not aware of any built-in feature like this, and I own and use an S3. That said, I use EZ Weather for this (recently renamed to Amber Weather) and I'm pretty happy with it..

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Google Now has that baked right in. Weather information on your home, your current location as well as upcoming ones based on your calendar.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

AlexF posted:

Google Now has that baked right in. Weather information on your home, your current location as well as upcoming ones based on your calendar.

Where can I access the settings for this? I do see that it will tell the temp, but that's on a different screen.

E: And it was WU on my old phone. Dunno why it worked on that one but not this one. This one it just doesn't update, even though I have that turned on in the settings.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 28, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Waltzing Along posted:

Where can I access the settings for this? I do see that it will tell the temp, but that's on a different screen.

You can swipe up from the home button to access your google now page at any time.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Waltzing Along posted:

Advice?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what you're asking for, but I would say the vast majority of weather apps do this (auto-update weather based on location and show it via either a homescreen widget and/or a notification tray entry). I mean, off the top of my head I'd recommend Beautiful Widgets or Weather Timeline. Some apps require you to manually set them to auto-update though, so be sure to check that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Thermopyle posted:

I think you're right, but these kinds of posts are just begging for criticism because you don't give any particular examples.

Oh I was just giving an impression.. Monday when I get back to work I can post some screenshots. It just feels like there isn't a unifying language. Nothing is really bad, but the keyboard feels chunky aesthetically compared to say the thin lines of the lock screen. Things like google now cards feel completely clean and nice but not inline with the rest of the aesthetics of say the settings menus.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It doesn't help that a lot of apps are based around Lollipop's Material Aesthetic in contrast to Kitkat's aesthetic.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Require More Fire posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what you're asking for, but I would say the vast majority of weather apps do this (auto-update weather based on location and show it via either a homescreen widget and/or a notification tray entry). I mean, off the top of my head I'd recommend Beautiful Widgets or Weather Timeline. Some apps require you to manually set them to auto-update though, so be sure to check that.

It turns out it was WU on my old phone. So I put it back on this one. Maybe second time is the charm.

It was not updating. I'd drive 50 miles and it would still have the temp from 6 hours earlier in a totally different area. I'd have to open the app and then it would update. Even though the setting was checked to do it automatically.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Oh I was just giving an impression.. Monday when I get back to work I can post some screenshots. It just feels like there isn't a unifying language. Nothing is really bad, but the keyboard feels chunky aesthetically compared to say the thin lines of the lock screen. Things like google now cards feel completely clean and nice but not inline with the rest of the aesthetics of say the settings menus.
Did Moto redesign the keyboard and settings menu? I'm struggling to see how this could be describe as "chunky" and not "clean and nice".

Source

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 28, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tunga posted:

Did Moto redesign the keyboard and settings menu?

Yeah mine def doesn't look like that. That's sexy.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BonoMan posted:

Yeah mine def doesn't look like that. That's sexy.

That's the Lollipop settings menu.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

LastInLine posted:

Nope, not on Verizon as he'd be stuck without LTE.

$130 buys you a 2013 Moto X (XT1060) on eBay. You won't beat that.

I actually lucked up and got ahold of a Moto X 2nd Gen for $250 with the customization I wanted (white accents, bamboo cover) and it's unlocked to boot! :toot: It's certainly more than what I planned to pay, but I was going to sell my G2 on Ebay to mitigate the cost. Thanks for the info!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

nimper posted:

That's the Lollipop settings menu.

That's what I was figuring. Can't wait to get it

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah, my bad, I thought the Moto X had received Lollipop.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tunga posted:

Soak testing it from what I gather.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Right now just the 2014s.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You're preaching to the converted here, people. He's a nightmare but I want to be able to flash 4.4.4 back onto his device so he can sleep at night. Is it possible? You don't know what it's like!

Do this and he'll own you. If he's a nightmare now, wait until you're the guy who changes phones and you changed his phone and now there's a problem with it (months later)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Do this and he'll own you. If he's a nightmare now, wait until you're the guy who changes phones and you changed his phone and now there's a problem with it (months later)
This is correct. Either he can figure it out for himself or he learns to accept change with the latter being the healthy option. Do not phone janitor for your friend.