Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Got a new microphone and junk.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Reupload it as an mp3 please, then we'll be able to hear it in the browser. :)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I THOUGHT something was off.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Got a new microphone and junk.

So my instant reaction is "trying too hard". It has that always up and up cadence of like a circus barker. I feel like that is a really unfair sounding comparison but it's the closest comparison I can think of if that makes sense? You also have some annunciation issues. Certain sounds are a little blurred/slurred together. You might also want to use a de-esser a smidge to pull down your es sounds. Recording quality sounds largely solid. I am hearing some room echo, which is not too much a problem here but I can imagine if you were doing something more energetic it'd be hanging around behind what you are saying more. Your voice needs some work but it can totally get there :)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The Joe Man posted:

My last trailer voiced has just been released!

This is great! It's like Zapp Brannigan meets Daran Norris.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I have a technical question for which I think this is the most relevant thread.

I have a preamp that very explicitly states that it's not to be used with powered circuits. It mentions not only phantom power, but the plug-in power which 3.5mm mic jacks on mini-recorders and computers apparently supply. A bit of digging suggests that the line-in jack on my soundcard (rather than the mic jack) probably isn't powered. Can anyone confirm or deny whether this is the case?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

I have a technical question for which I think this is the most relevant thread.

I have a preamp that very explicitly states that it's not to be used with powered circuits. It mentions not only phantom power, but the plug-in power which 3.5mm mic jacks on mini-recorders and computers apparently supply. A bit of digging suggests that the line-in jack on my soundcard (rather than the mic jack) probably isn't powered. Can anyone confirm or deny whether this is the case?

What preamp is it?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

MockingQuantum posted:

What preamp is it?

It's an Austin Mic preamp. The sheet says

quote:

Do not use with Phantom Powered Circuits
Again, since this unit has no DC-blocking capacitors, do not use it with any circuit that has phantom power turned on. This includes mixers, recording units, and 3.5mm "Plug-in-Powered" microphone jacks, as found on iPhones, and pocket recorders.
A DC voltage on the input or output can kill the sensitive chips in this preamp in a New York minute.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

TerminalSaint posted:

It's an Austin Mic preamp. The sheet says

You're probably safe with the line-in jack, but if in doubt there are some line transformers that will prevent power from getting transferred back down the line. I don't know of any off the top of my head, but I know I've used one for basically that purpose before with an old U47 transformer.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Ah, thanks. It also occurred to me that I can break out my multimeter and double check before hooking it up.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Yay! I can finally share something I've been working on!

I mentioned a little while back that I had the opportunity to cast and direct an anime series a few weeks ago. What I don't think I mentioned is that I also got to play one of the main characters! I just put a clip up on my website of my scenes in Media Blasters' dub of the anime series Holy Knight, in which I play Chizuru Makimura, the best friend/sort-of-kind-of love interest of the male protagonist. Fun fact #1: Opposite me in the second of the two scenes in that clip is Michele Knotz, who is currently the voice of Jessie (from Team Rocket) on Pokémon.

Also pretty cool is that we got to cast a number of my current and former VO students in the series! I put together a short compilation of clips featuring them as well. Fun fact #2: Michael A. Zekas (Cliff) and Devon Talbott (Plum) voiced Lord Nengorth and Lord Ovengel, respectively, in the game TheJoeMan cast last year, Lords of Xulima. They give some of my favorite performances in this series. :3:

Fun fact #3: This was my anime debut, fulfilling a dream of mine I've had since high school. :3: :3: :3:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Rockin', dude. Hope you enjoy your otaku fanboys dribbling on your shoes! :argh:

I kid, nice job.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

blinkeve1826 posted:

Yay! I can finally share something I've been working on!

I mentioned a little while back that I had the opportunity to cast and direct an anime series a few weeks ago. What I don't think I mentioned is that I also got to play one of the main characters! I just put a clip up on my website of my scenes in Media Blasters' dub of the anime series Holy Knight, in which I play Chizuru Makimura, the best friend/sort-of-kind-of love interest of the male protagonist. Fun fact #1: Opposite me in the second of the two scenes in that clip is Michele Knotz, who is currently the voice of Jessie (from Team Rocket) on Pokémon.

Also pretty cool is that we got to cast a number of my current and former VO students in the series! I put together a short compilation of clips featuring them as well. Fun fact #2: Michael A. Zekas (Cliff) and Devon Talbott (Plum) voiced Lord Nengorth and Lord Ovengel, respectively, in the game TheJoeMan cast last year, Lords of Xulima. They give some of my favorite performances in this series. :3:

Fun fact #3: This was my anime debut, fulfilling a dream of mine I've had since high school. :3: :3: :3:

My jealousy cannot be measured by current standards. It is, indeed, a jealously heretofore unknown to reality.

In all seriousness, great job. Haven't seen the series yet, so I might have something new to watch.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Sometimes I read stuff for fun. Thoughts?

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

J.A.B.C. posted:

My jealousy cannot be measured by current standards. It is, indeed, a jealously heretofore unknown to reality.

In all seriousness, great job. Haven't seen the series yet, so I might have something new to watch.

Haha, thanks guys. :) The series itself is, uh...a little *out there*. Not my taste, might be yours. Maybe I'm just annoyed by the fact that I didn't have control over the post-production once it left our hands, which affected how people will see the work we did. But I'm happy to have an anime role under my belt, at the very least. ALTHOUGH I just found out that one of my students booked a recurring role on Yu-Gi-Oh so I very fully understand the happy/jealous thing. ;)

I'm also in this week's issue of Backstage Magazine, apparently! I'm featured along with the other 2014 Backstage Readers' Choice Awards finalists for Best Voiceover Teacher. I don't think you can find the article online yet, but I have it up on my website here.

TerminalSaint posted:

Sometimes I read stuff for fun. Thoughts?

About what exactly do you want to hear our thoughts? Your delivery? Your audio quality? What is this for? Be specific. Help us help you.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Oh, sorry. I'm interested in thoughts on delivery; I know the setup I recorded that with leaves a lot to be desired.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's not one of....THOSE, is it, blinkeve? You know what kind of anime I'm talking about.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

It's not one of....THOSE, is it, blinkeve? You know what kind of anime I'm talking about.

Did some basic research, it's exactly what you think it is.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
EDIT: I was misinformed.

TerminalSaint posted:

Oh, sorry. I'm interested in thoughts on delivery; I know the setup I recorded that with leaves a lot to be desired.
Not terrible. Work on enunciation of your T's & N's. Try not to slur-blend your words together within each sentence. Usually that's an issue with speed but that's not really the case here. It sounds lazy, and not in the way you're going for. Emphasis could be improved on your "punchline" words; as of now, it's spread out a bit randomly.

Overall decent and potentially good/great.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 24, 2015

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
corrected

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 24, 2015

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

EDIT: I was misinformed.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 24, 2015

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

It was in jest. Based on what cubemario said, I assumed it's vocals for hentai.

EDIT: And if it's not clear (it's not), I'm not knocking it. Make that money however you can. The erotic audiobook was a legit suggestion.

The anime has full nudity and large amounts of fanservice, especially since it's a short OVA (Original Video Animation or Direct to Video). It's adapted from an ero-manga. It's rated as generally poor, but they are one of the few anime which get adapted overseas because it's easier to translate and sex is known to sell.

Erotic stuff isn't for everyone, personally it's not my bag. Which is why I generally have no aspirations to get a role in anime, because I'm not comfortable with the erotic elements most of them have.

That's good advice for anyone, if you have an issue with a certain thing, don't do it for the money, you won't be able to have a believable performance. Go for work in genres and mediums which you're comfortable with. An uncomfortable actor is a terrible actor.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

The Joe Man posted:

Not terrible. Work on enunciation of your T's & N's. Try not to slur-blend your words together within each sentence. Usually that's an issue with speed but that's not really the case here. It sounds lazy, and not in the way you're going for. Emphasis could be improved on your "punchline" words; as of now, it's spread out a bit randomly.

Overall decent and potentially good/great.

Thanks, I'll keep these things in mind.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Choose to do erotica audiobooks if the idea of constantly voicing generic homosexual self-insert fiction appeals to you.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Oh, okay, this got super creepy super quickly. To clarify a few key things: 1) The series is fan service-y (there are gratuitous panty shots because anime) and weird/creepy at some points (the plot is essentially that the female protagonist has to conceive a child with the heir of a line of vampire hunters, kill him and the child, and bathe in their blood, but there is no full nudity anywhere in the series. You see boobs in two scenes (a shower scene and a scene in which the female protagonist has been abducted) but there's no explicit sexual content. At all. 2) There is such content in the (much more explicit) manga on which the series is based, but the anime is completely different, with much of the story and characters changed. 3) I have no interest whatsoever in doing erotica or anything sexual in nature and don't appreciate the implication or association with my name, so please be careful what you say and about whom, cubemario (or what ideas you spread based on misinformation, TheJoeMan).

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

... and who, exactly, is our dear goon voicing in all of this?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

My bad, I didn't look into it (nor cared, since I was only joking based on the subject matter I thought it was).

Congrats on the gig!

EDIT: Whited out misinformation if any other goons wish to do the same on quotes.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Gotta make this quick as I'm swamped with this, BUT I'm casting an awesommmmmme video game and you are all invited to audition for it!

Details are all here: http://www.listentomelanie.com/casting/norsenoir/

The only thing you should change is preceding the subject line of your email submission with SA USERNAME SAUSERNAME (yes, in all caps--i.e. SA USERNAME BLINKEVE1826) so I know where you're coming from and your submission doesn't get overlooked.

Good luck, goons!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

blinkeve1826 posted:

Gotta make this quick as I'm swamped with this, BUT I'm casting an awesommmmmme video game and you are all invited to audition for it!

The only thing you should change is preceding the subject line of your email submission with SA USERNAME SAUSERNAME (yes, in all caps--i.e. SA USERNAME BLINKEVE1826) so I know where you're coming from and your submission doesn't get overlooked.

Good luck, goons!

Awesome, thanks for posting this.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

blinkeve1826 posted:

Good luck, goons!

Yesss. I think I directed them this way? Regardless of whether I had any part on that, I'm glad they snagged you. Going to get in an audition for sure.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

blinkeve1826 posted:

Good luck, goons!

Ta muchly.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

JossiRossi posted:

Yesss. I think I directed them this way? Regardless of whether I had any part on that, I'm glad they snagged you. Going to get in an audition for sure.

You did, and it's been an excellent recommendation - Great, professional service so far and really looking forward to working on this project with Melanie. Also hopefully some of you!

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

blinkeve1826 posted:

Good luck, goons!

Awesome! Gonna record up something tomorrow with a friend. It's cool if he doesn't have an account right?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

blinkeve1826 posted:

Good luck, goons!

I am all over this kind of thing!

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

blinkeve1826 posted:

Good luck, goons!

This is really cool, thanks for telling us about it!

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

JossiRossi posted:

I didn't realize you led them this way! Thanks for inadvertently connecting us, then. I'm very happy to be working on this project.

Correnth posted:

You did, and it's been an excellent recommendation - Great, professional service so far and really looking forward to working on this project with Melanie. Also hopefully some of you!

Honestly, you guys have made it easy by being some of the most pleasant clients I've worked with! Despite (or perhaps because of?) the craziness of it all, I'm quite enjoying it!

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Awesome! Gonna record up something tomorrow with a friend. It's cool if he doesn't have an account right?

Yes, that's fine! It's public and open to anyone who's interested in auditioning!!

We are particularly interested in actual Norwegian actors (or those fluent in a Norwegian accent) for Lars/Loki, so if you happen to know Norwegian folks, even if they're not overly experienced, please send this along. I'd really like to hear both new and experienced voices for this.

Really looking forward to hearing ALL of your auditions!! GO GOONS GO!

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
Alright, just sent my audition over.

In other news, I just updated my demo reel and wanted to see what you guys think

https://soundcloud.com/metalrayproductions/zach-demo-reel

I came up with most of the voices while messing around with a friend of mine, doing small workshops to come up with different things. A couple of them were edited in post to give some extra effect

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

In other news, I just updated my demo reel and wanted to see what you guys think

https://soundcloud.com/metalrayproductions/zach-demo-reel

I came up with most of the voices while messing around with a friend of mine, doing small workshops to come up with different things. A couple of them were edited in post to give some extra effect

Production quality is dogshit, for starters.

EDIT: I suggest you scrap the entire demo.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 30, 2015

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Joe Man posted:

Production quality is dogshit, for starters.

EDIT: I suggest you scrap the entire demo.

Joe's a bit rough but he's right. It sounds like you are down a hallway speaking through a tin can. It's hard to judge your voice when you can't hear it accurately.

er... I mean Dogshit... it's ALLLLL dogshit! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

blinkeve1826 posted:

Good luck, goons!

Threw my hat into the ring as well. Good luck, everyone!