Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's actually pretty nice to have the best card from a set be a common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Since nobody else posted it, here's the wallpaper sized art for the new Thalia:

http://i.imgur.com/TvZ9AOm.jpg

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Hey at least the new Thalia has an actual hair color. (The new art owns bones actually and I wouldn't mind getting a copy)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The best card in Khans is a common too!

Toshimo posted:

Since nobody else posted it, here's the wallpaper sized art for the new Thalia:

http://i.imgur.com/TvZ9AOm.jpg
loving laughed out loud at a goddamn Toshimo post

loving god drat it

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
So standard is over - how did that esper deck do? I agree the list looks sweet, though I would prefer no creatures at all/far fewer wincons like my UB deck.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Terrible Horse posted:

So standard is over - how did that esper deck do? I agree the list looks sweet, though I would prefer no creatures at all/far fewer wincons like my UB deck.

3-1.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Spiderdrake posted:

loving laughed out loud at a goddamn Toshimo post
I did too. I didn't know Toshimo could do anything pleasant.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Veyrall posted:

I did too. I didn't know Toshimo could do anything pleasant.

Realchat and I don't mean to single this post out, but all the sniping at individuals in the magic threads shits up otherwise good discussion back down to mtgsalvation quality. Back in my day we just argued about the reserve list until I put JerryLee on ignore, but it seems like nowadays all you whippersnappers just poo poo on each other instead of arguing about which wizard is strongest.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Angry Grimace posted:

I see Magic art has come full circle and gone back to way too close faces

Hey, now I can complete my set. Although the value compared to the previous ones is a bit low.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sigma-X posted:

Realchat and I don't mean to single this post out, but all the sniping at individuals in the magic threads shits up otherwise good discussion back down to mtgsalvation quality. Back in my day we just argued about the reserve list until I put JerryLee on ignore, but it seems like nowadays all you whippersnappers just poo poo on each other instead of arguing about which wizard is strongest.

Because it's obvious that Jace is the strongest. No need to argue.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Holy poo poo Eli's deck.

Miscut Volcanic Island, beta Volcanic Island, Judge promo Force of Will. That's just the first 2 turns.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah, I'm guilty of this to an extent, though it gets more frequent around spoiler season. With back to back spoiler seasons, it should lighten up decently soon. Still, it's not great and has been mostly personal stuff between people and their opinions on card power levels.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Never thought I'd see the day the SomethingAwful MTG thread would come out so strongly in favor of some lovely Steve Argyle art. That Thalia looks so bad.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

qbert posted:

Holy poo poo Eli's deck.

Miscut Volcanic Island, beta Volcanic Island, Judge promo Force of Will. That's just the first 2 turns.

All the miscuts are not real miscuts. They were made in a print shop and Eli sells them.

Hopping Ghost posted:

Never thought I'd see the day the SomethingAwful MTG thread would come out so strongly in favor of some lovely Steve Argyle art. That Thalia looks so bad.

Seriously.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Bugsy posted:

All the miscuts are not real miscuts. They were made in a print shop and Eli sells them.

Whoa. How does that work, exactly? He got an actual printed sheet of Revised cards that included a Volcanic Island, then cut the card out wrong?

Still impressive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bugsy posted:

Bizarre.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

qbert posted:

Whoa. How does that work, exactly? He got an actual printed sheet of Revised cards that included a Volcanic Island, then cut the card out wrong?

Still impressive.

Yeah, pretty much. It's really dumb.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I joined the misprints / oddities trading group on facebook and it's full of "NFCs" which stands for Not Factory Cut and it's basically dumb motherfuckers taking their full sheets and cutting them badly (given they want to charge a premium for them too, it seems to be on purpose).

It's dumb as hell.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

They're fashionable in the same way that ripped jeans are fashionable.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

How would you even go about acquiring a full sheet of Revised that includes dual lands today? How many Volcanic Islands are on each sheet? Did he have to get 4 of them?

I know Legacy is expensive but that is some insane disposable income.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

qbert posted:

How would you even go about acquiring a full sheet of Revised that includes dual lands today? How many Volcanic Islands are on each sheet? Did he have to get 4 of them?

I know Legacy is expensive but that is some insane disposable income.

At some point if you have a print shop and are slicing up card stock I wouldn't really trust them to be legitimate, but that's just me.

Is this an SCG stream?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

Is this an SCG stream?

Yep, SCG Invitational.

twitch.tv/scglive

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

I joined the misprints / oddities trading group on facebook and it's full of "NFCs" which stands for Not Factory Cut and it's basically dumb motherfuckers taking their full sheets and cutting them badly (given they want to charge a premium for them too, it seems to be on purpose).
I'm not a fan of misprints or alters in general, but those are the worst of the bunch.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hopping Ghost posted:

Argyle is problematic when he's doing T&A stuff. Otherwise, he's just A Magic Artist. That Thalia art is such an extreme close-up that it cannot possibly be T&A.

Speaking of, I hope it isn't just a quirk of Tarkir's flavor but Magic's seems to be moving away from sexually proactive art as of late, and I appreciate it.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Argyle is problematic when he's doing T&A stuff. Otherwise, he's just A Magic Artist. That Thalia art is such an extreme close-up that it cannot possibly be T&A.

Speaking of, I hope it isn't just a quirk of Tarkir's flavor but Magic's seems to be moving away from sexually proactive art as of late, and I appreciate it.

Yeah, I'm not saying the Thalia art is problematic. SA MTG threads have had a history of (justifiably) hating on Steve Argyle for his pieces that are problematic and also just generally making everyone he draws look like a shiny rubber halloween mask, so it's funny to me to see a bad piece of his getting much praise here. (Bad in that it just looks really bad, not that it's offensive.)

Completely agreed on the latter point.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Apparently Eli actually bought an official paper cutter thing for to make those miscuts.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

Apparently Eli actually bought an official paper cutter thing for to make those miscuts.

a paper guillotine or something more... serious?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Oraculum Animi posted:

Like he bought a machine from a closing printer that printed magic cards.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Oraculum Animi posted:

You can spend enough money to make a press that cuts to the dimensions of a card, including the corners. Though you'd still have to cut a sheet into rows to avoid bending things too much.

Sigma-X posted:

It's dumb as hell.

As lovely as this is, as least they're upfront about them being non-factory cuts.

BrokenKnees fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 28, 2015

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Where's that image that shows the before and after for tarkir cards and people? Like despise -> duress and feed the clan -> ancient carp?

VVVVVVVVVV THANKS!

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 28, 2015

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I had tweeted this one, from this thread: http://t.co/Xs8nxjxHWu

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

From the new M files Scaleguard Sentinels are meant to be a dragon-shifted version of Kin-Tree Warden.

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.
I will out myself as a pack-opener and I didn't get anything notable in my 36 packs today. 3 foil rares (definitely above normal quantity) were Arashin Sovereign, Foul Renewal, and Sunbringer's Touch. 4 mythics were Clone Legion, Dragon Whisperer, Ojutai Examplars, and Shorecrasher Elemental.

I've never resold a single rare for cash or trade, but this box (and set in particular) leaves me feeling no itch to continue opening packs outside of drafts.
Learn from me, poor goons. Don't open packs.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Recess Rapist posted:

I will out myself as a pack-opener and I didn't get anything notable in my 36 packs today. 3 foil rares (definitely above normal quantity) were Arashin Sovereign, Foul Renewal, and Sunbringer's Touch. 4 mythics were Clone Legion, Dragon Whisperer, Ojutai Examplars, and Shorecrasher Elemental.

I've never resold a single rare for cash or trade, but this box (and set in particular) leaves me feeling no itch to continue opening packs outside of drafts.
Learn from me, poor goons. Don't open packs.

This set is dogshit for pack opening. All the value is incredibly skewed. It reminds me of Worldwake, except Worldwake would eventually have like infinite loving ridiculous money cards as cards got broken.

So I'm hopeful, but doubtful.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sigma-X posted:

This set is dogshit for pack opening.
Funny you should say that, because tonight I opened my packs and got my second narset (which I traded for a pile of fetches and shocklands), foil anafenza, and last & most glorious, a foil Sarkhan, Unbound. I then traded that for an Ugin and $30.

It was a good night for MTG finance.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
We did sealed at my LGS and my pool had Deathmist Raptor, Tasigur and Foil Warden of the First Tree (same pack for those last 2).

I immediately flipped the Raptor and the Warden because I have no intention of playing them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I traded for a Korean Anafenza waifu tonight. I will also get japanese and chinese to complete the waifu trilogy.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
At my LGS someone got passed a Tasigur in pack 3 (apparently the pack had a foil Tasigur as well) and then a Flooded Strand as 3rd pick in that pack that somehow made it past two people. Then he went undefeated.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Shovelmint posted:

At my LGS someone got passed a Tasigur in pack 3 (apparently the pack had a foil Tasigur as well) and then a Flooded Strand as 3rd pick in that pack that somehow made it past two people. Then he went undefeated.

I was almost wondering if this was me for a second. I was playing Ojutai based on 2 Breezedancers and opened a third pack with Tasigur as the rare and Flooded Strand in the land slot. Took the strand since it was completely on color and worth more.

Managed to 2-0 and split first place. Just barely lost the last game when we played it out afterwards.

It's a very easy format compared to Khans. Just stick to two colors unless there's a really cool off color dragon that's in one of your colors. They're all expensive enough CMC wise that a light splash will get you there no troubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Sigma-X posted:

This set is dogshit for pack opening.

It's been like this for 3rd sets in the last few blocks, where it seems a most of the rares are weird utility cards meant mostly for limited. It was the same in Journey Into Nyx and Dragon's Maze, where most of the value of the set rests on 2 or 3 overpriced cards (Ajani, Confluence/Voice, Blood Baron), and the rest are either bulk or are devalued by being in intro decks (Exava, Doomwake Giant, Myth Realized).

• Locked thread