Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Telex posted:

other than being faster (a non-issue for me since it's on a nas4free server sitting in the corner that only does usenet and holds my raid, basically) what's the advantages of Sonarr over Sickbeard?

It looks like to even give it a shot I have to upgrade my nas to get off FreeBSD 9.1 and get to 9.2 or beyond, so I'm not super thrilled about fixing what isn't broken unless there's a killer feature for doing it.

I like Sonarrs blacklist and manual search selection functions, both of which Sickbeard does not have. The preference feature for Usenet versus Torrent is something that I use also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Telex posted:

other than being faster (a non-issue for me since it's on a nas4free server sitting in the corner that only does usenet and holds my raid, basically) what's the advantages of Sonarr over Sickbeard?

It looks like to even give it a shot I have to upgrade my nas to get off FreeBSD 9.1 and get to 9.2 or beyond, so I'm not super thrilled about fixing what isn't broken unless there's a killer feature for doing it.

Sonarr isn't faster. Sickbeard and Sonarr both work in the same basic way: they set there listening to RSS feeds and if they see a show you're monitoring, they send it to your download client.

The most significant reason to switch to Sonarr is that it handles failed downloads in an intelligent manner.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Eh Sonarr comes so close on the 'mobile interface' but it just seems like it's trying to be responsive and isn't wonderful at it. Messes up a lot, hard to navigate the show because it uses iFrame style things, needs multiple taps to get something to respond. It's not awful, it just could be so much better.

If you have an android phone get nzb360 its worth it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

iPhone here, and my old nzb apps don't play ball anymore. It's no massive deal, I rarely have to use it and can usually get it to do what I want in the end.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Have the little NZB download arrows I normally click on nzbs.org disappeared?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I gave up on my sonarr experiment for now because it ended up being a bigger deal than I thought to get my SSL certs working in mono with an intermediate cert. I'm sure it's something simple that I could have sorted out eventually with compiling a newer version but I generally just give up if what I want to do isn't in debian testing. With both sabnzbd and sickbeard I can just specify the certificates in the GUI.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I played around with Sonarr for like 2 hours and couldnt really see it being much more efficient than Sickbeard. It doesnt automatically post process like Sickbeard does and relies on its Drone Folder to process stuff, which I guess isnt bad but if I grab a series off bit torrent, it will start processing the created but unfinished files, which is bad.

The interface is nicer but thats not really an issue with sickbeard. I open the page, add a show/select items I want, close it again. I dont really need blurbs and posters.

Overall I am not that impressed so I might stick with sickbeard until its no longer supported by OS X updates.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Laserface posted:

I played around with Sonarr for like 2 hours and couldnt really see it being much more efficient than Sickbeard. It doesnt automatically post process like Sickbeard does and relies on its Drone Folder to process stuff

Not true.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

I played around with Sonarr for like 2 hours and couldnt really see it being much more efficient than Sickbeard. It doesnt automatically post process like Sickbeard does and relies on its Drone Folder to process stuff, which I guess isnt bad but if I grab a series off bit torrent, it will start processing the created but unfinished files, which is bad.

Yes it does do that, enable Completed Download Handling. In my experience its slightly faster at searches and supports failed download handling as well. Beyond that if none of those grab you then keep using Sickbeard. Just the failed download handling alone is huge for me, especially as DMCAs have become more aggressive.

Also the dev who left Sickbeard wasn't Midgetspy I thought and the project is still alive AFAIK.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Yes it does do that, enable Completed Download Handling. In my experience its slightly faster at searches and supports failed download handling as well. Beyond that if none of those grab you then keep using Sickbeard. Just the failed download handling alone is huge for me, especially as DMCAs have become more aggressive.

Also the dev who left Sickbeard wasn't Midgetspy I thought and the project is still alive AFAIK.

I have completed download handling enabled, not sure why its not working, but sickbeard works like a charm for now so Im pretty content to not rock the boat.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

I have completed download handling enabled, not sure why its not working, but sickbeard works like a charm for now so Im pretty content to not rock the boat.

You probably didn't have your download client configured correctly in Sonarr, categories are case sensitive.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Anyone having any issues with dogzb? It's telling me I've already downloaded 1000 items today (real number is none) - and their forums seem to be unavailable. bAh.

edit: and back. nothing to see here.

porktree fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 24, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah their API has been flaky for a bit now.

Mighty Zoltar
Aug 18, 2004

I AM A PIECE OF SHIT. IF YOU SEE ME ON THE STREET, PLEASE STAB ME.
I've been using Supernews with nzbs.org for a while now. Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed more items are showing up as out of the servers retention in Sab. Just yesterday, I was looking at some S01E01 over the past 2 months or so, and most items failed. These will have been pretty new, and therefore the retention shouldn't be an issue.

I've not done enough testing to see if it's just TV that is an issue at this time.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Mighty Zoltar posted:

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?
The DMCA

Mighty Zoltar
Aug 18, 2004

I AM A PIECE OF SHIT. IF YOU SEE ME ON THE STREET, PLEASE STAB ME.

Any way to work around it? Is there a provider that has less issues than Supernews?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mighty Zoltar posted:

Any way to work around it? Is there a provider that has less issues than Supernews?

Having a backup service like Blocknews. That's been my setup with Supernews.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Mighty Zoltar posted:

Get two block plans on backup providers. Block news and Tweaknews.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Another vote for super news and block news combo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Don't forget the free 1mbit/sec plan fro xsusenet.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've found DMCAing to be pretty aggressive and even with Supernews/Block/Tweak I still get a few failures a month. Thankfully Sonarr's excellent failed download handling takes care of it automatically so I don't even notice unless I look at the historical.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And most of the time with Sonarr, Sickbeard and Couch Potato, you should be grabbing the files faster than they're being DMCA'd (unless you're backfilling). If not, need to adjust your settings, get a faster indexer etc.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

EL BROMANCE posted:

And most of the time with Sonarr, Sickbeard and Couch Potato, you should be grabbing the files faster than they're being DMCA'd (unless you're backfilling). If not, need to adjust your settings, get a faster indexer etc.

I had to set a delay in Sonarr because it was finding nzb's before the file had even finished propagating.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

suddenlyissoon posted:

I had to set a delay in Sonarr because it was finding nzb's before the file had even finished propagating.

Ah this is what is happening to me, but with sb.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

The Gunslinger posted:

How does Sonarr compare to sickbeard in regards to updating TV schedules. I've found on and off over the last 6 months that sickbeard will regularly fail to properly update a series and as a result it will miss an episode of something. This fixes itself when i go in and do a forced manual refresh of a show but it's pretty annoying that i have to do that, never mind that i feel like i have to constantly check things to make sure the schedule is up to date and that nothing has been missed.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 27, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Kin posted:

How does Sonarr compare to sickbeard in regards to updating TV schedules. I've found on and off over the last 6 moths that sickbeard will regularly fail to properly update a series and as a result it will miss an episode of something. This fixes itself when i go in and fo a forced manual refresh of a show but it's pretty annoying that i have to do that, never mind that i feel like i have to constantly check things to make sure the schedule is up to date and that nothing has been missed.

I don't think this has happened to me ever using sonarr, and I have been using it since the early days.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kin posted:

How does Sonarr compare to sickbeard in regards to updating TV schedules. I've found on and off over the last 6 months that sickbeard will regularly fail to properly update a series and as a result it will miss an episode of something. This fixes itself when i go in and do a forced manual refresh of a show but it's pretty annoying that i have to do that, never mind that i feel like i have to constantly check things to make sure the schedule is up to date and that nothing has been missed.

I've been on sonarr for 6 months or so, but I used sickbeard for years prior to that and never had that issue, so my guess is you had some other issue that may or may not affect sonarr as well.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Kin posted:

I switched to Sonarr maybe a year ago, and I recall having this issue with Sickbeard as well. From what I remember Sickbeard doesn't really update shows except when it starts up, so since I left my computer on for months and months at a time it would never get a chance to do so. Haven't had an issue with Sonarr.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I had the same issue with Sickbeard a few times, definitely something up with it. Not had it with Sonarr yet.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I've asked this before I think but I hope that maybe they implemented it or perhaps will do in the future. Does Sonarr allow you to create a catch all download folder? With sickbeard I download everything to one folder watch it and either delete it after or copy it to an external drive once every few weeks. I can't find anything about if thats possible on the sonarr forums.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

elwood posted:

I've asked this before I think but I hope that maybe they implemented it or perhaps will do in the future. Does Sonarr allow you to create a catch all download folder? With sickbeard I download everything to one folder watch it and either delete it after or copy it to an external drive once every few weeks. I can't find anything about if thats possible on the sonarr forums.

Yeah, it's called Drone Factory or something like that, should narrow down your searching.

Misread your post. I don't think so.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Disgustipated posted:

I switched to Sonarr maybe a year ago, and I recall having this issue with Sickbeard as well. From what I remember Sickbeard doesn't really update shows except when it starts up, so since I left my computer on for months and months at a time it would never get a chance to do so. Haven't had an issue with Sonarr.

I did wonder if it was to do with that, as i used to just sleep my machine but for the last 3 months I've been shutting it down completely. I've got sickbeard set to launch as soon as my machine starts up so maybe that's loving with it.

If Sonarr doesn't have that issue I'll try making the switch.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

elwood posted:

Sure.

Turn off completed download handling.

Then files will just stay wherever your download client puts them.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Has anyone ever had any luck with foreign language content on Sonarr/Sickbeard/CouchPotato?

How did you make it work?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I've just about had it with DogNZB's dogshit worthless broken API. Are there any decent alternatives that aren't closed off, or am I pretty much stuck rolling my own newznab indexer? If so, how much work is involved in that if I really only care about HD shows, HD movies, and music albums?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've just about had it with DogNZB's dogshit worthless broken API. Are there any decent alternatives that aren't closed off, or am I pretty much stuck rolling my own newznab indexer? If so, how much work is involved in that if I really only care about HD shows, HD movies, and music albums?

Use Sickbeards indexer: http://lolo.sickbeard.com

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

I'm using that in Sonarr just fine. My problem is for when I want to search for something through NZB 360 on my phone. Sure I can still use the DogNZB website through the mobile browser, but I'd prefer it to just work.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Gentlefolk: I need a sanity check. I've had SONARR and SABNZBD running flawlessly for some time now, so I haven't had to tinker. I just got a replacement external HDD and copied over my libraries to it.

Basically I need to point everything in SONARR and SABNZBD from old Drive X to new Drive Y.

I can't find anything relevant in Settings for SONARR or Config for SABNZBD.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm using that in Sonarr just fine. My problem is for when I want to search for something through NZB 360 on my phone. Sure I can still use the DogNZB website through the mobile browser, but I'd prefer it to just work.

I recently switched to Sonarr but couldn't get the sickbeard indexer working, how do you do it exactly?

It's possible the indexer was down at the exact moment i was trying though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Feenix posted:

Gentlefolk: I need a sanity check. I've had SONARR and SABNZBD running flawlessly for some time now, so I haven't had to tinker. I just got a replacement external HDD and copied over my libraries to it.

Basically I need to point everything in SONARR and SABNZBD from old Drive X to new Drive Y.

I can't find anything relevant in Settings for SONARR or Config for SABNZBD.

Sonarr -> Series -> Add Series -> Import existing series from disk -> enter new HDD path
No idea on SABNZBD.