Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Yes you sociopath

EDIT: Annie's theme song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOubzHCUt48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Freudian posted:

Yes you sociopath

?????????????

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Jesus Tony you should have closed the door first.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Lurdiak posted:

It's interesting to consider, though. Annie's dealing in matters of life and death and existence, and her life expectancy is like 35. Should she really be taking classes on math? Education can be seen as self-enrichment, but at the high school level, it really isn't.

Considering her abilities and that fact, it probably would be better for her to receive an alternative form of education.

One interesting thing I noticed: Anthony said that Annie was cheating from Kat "in particular." Does that mean Annie's been cheating off of other students as well?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I like the detail that he has to confirm his best friend's daughters name.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dammerung posted:

Considering her abilities and that fact, it probably would be better for her to receive an alternative form of education.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

like a school for magical people and weirdoes or something, run by a clandestine organization, opposite a the fey realm, but in reality a front for ~*something*~

gunnerkrigg court's a pretty awful school actually now that i think about it

like it's basically just there to keep faeries from trying to go out into the actual rest of the world isnt it by keeping them preoccupied with high school

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Annie's only going to die if she has a child. Her life expectancy is perfectly fine as long as she doesn't decide to marry some jerk for unknown reasons and then decide to stop using protection so she can die and leave her child to be (not) raised by Professor Satan.

So... learning math might be useful. Unless she becomes a professional spirit medium, in which case yes anything besides basic personal financial literacy is going to be purely for her own enjoyment (which apparently doesn't exist).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Annie's only going to die if she has a child.

When.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Rei_ posted:

gunnerkrigg court's a pretty awful school actually now that i think about it

like it's basically just there to keep faeries from trying to go out into the actual rest of the world isnt it by keeping them preoccupied with high school

It really is - I don't think there was any mention of extra help being provided/offered to Annie when she first arrived. If the court had known about her cheating, the professors of the classes she cheated in should have (more gently) confronted her about it, let her know that they were aware of it and that it was unacceptable, and then worked with her to get her up to speed. It's not the end of the world, and they could have done a lot more to offer assistance and guidance.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The position of both sides is at least somewhat sympathetic. On an ethical level, what Antimony is doing is straight up wrong. It's dishonest and lovely to her friend.

Her core motivation for cheating is at least somewhat understandable however. It's gotta be fairly hard to give a poo poo in earnest when you've got so much magical poo poo going on in your life which seems orders of magnitude more important. If you mostly plan to grow up to be a Medium and a Psychopomp who gives a ghost of a gently caress about math?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Antimony doesn't want to be a psychopomp, she just keeps getting caught up in their poo poo.

Besides, one day she might meet a ghost or a fairy who's trapped forever unless they can solve for x. What then????????

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Don't forget Annie was cheating even before learning what a Medium was.

Also don't forget that I don't think she ever went to primary school, so she's probably pretty lost in a lot of classes. It makes sense that the subjects she wouldn't need to cheat in would be ones she'd be exposed to talking to patients in a hospital and psychopomps.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

She can always join a circus as a fire eater.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Well that was a pretty fast turnaround from "I wonder if this'll come up in this chapter" to "whoops there it is".

rear end in a top hat dad aside, I wonder if this is some sort of intentional play by the Court to drive Annie out into the forest for some reason?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ursine Asylum posted:

Well that was a pretty fast turnaround from "I wonder if this'll come up in this chapter" to "whoops there it is".

rear end in a top hat dad aside, I wonder if this is some sort of intentional play by the Court to drive Annie out into the forest for some reason?

I suspect that for the story to conclude, there has to be an open conflict between the Court and the Forest, with Annie and Kat finding themselves on opposing sides. For that to happen, there would have to be a spectacular upheaval in the status quo; the way this chapter is going, it could be the setup for annie permanently fleeing the Court.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

If

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do not think we have actually seen enough of Anthony to say anything about his character besides "cold, distant", and I would be very surprised if Tom writes him as a two-dimensional shitheel.

Having your daughter's birth literally take away the inner fire that keeps your wife alive cannot be easy to go through, and distancing himself emotionally as a defense mechanism is understandable. Not good, but understandable.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think it's more like old greyface Llewellyn putting the screws on rather than an attempt to drive her out, though. Antimony basically ignores the school rules? Fine, we'll get someone she will listen to. Monday is going to be
:geno: "And therefore I am going to be taking steps to correct your behaviour. You are moving in to my lodgings, you will go from there to class and back, and you will be in detention with tutors for two hours after school until such a time that your grades reach an acceptable level. Until that time, and until I give you explicit permission, you are grounded. Now go and collect your belongings from your former room".

Itzena fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 27, 2015

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah that's more or less how I see it going down.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Freudian posted:

Yes you sociopath

I think you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyFc-pbcO94

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Ahem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M :colbert:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Also wasn't Kat aware of the cheating? Otherwise how was Antimony getting the books to copy? Was she just stealing from her?

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Rei_ posted:

Also wasn't Kat aware of the cheating? Otherwise how was Antimony getting the books to copy? Was she just stealing from her?

Latter as far as the story hints at.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Rei_ posted:

Yeah, she was.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Oblivious posted:

The position of both sides is at least somewhat sympathetic. On an ethical level, what Antimony is doing is straight up wrong. It's dishonest and lovely to her friend.

Her core motivation for cheating is at least somewhat understandable however. It's gotta be fairly hard to give a poo poo in earnest when you've got so much magical poo poo going on in your life which seems orders of magnitude more important. If you mostly plan to grow up to be a Medium and a Psychopomp who gives a ghost of a gently caress about math?

Didn't she start cheating way before the magic shenanigans came to full force?
Plus everyone else studies so why would she get special treatment. :colbert:

Tenebrais posted:

Don't forget Annie was cheating even before learning what a Medium was.

Also don't forget that I don't think she ever went to primary school, so she's probably pretty lost in a lot of classes. It makes sense that the subjects she wouldn't need to cheat in would be ones she'd be exposed to talking to patients in a hospital and psychopomps.
I'm pretty sure normal people would ask for tutoring or at least tell their teachers they don't know the fundamentals.
(That said the court should've figured something was up by now but they aren't a particularly great educational institute either. And the cheating probably masks at least some of Annie's weaknesses)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 28, 2015

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

In the same bit where Renard suggests Kat is letting her do it?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Caphi posted:

In the same bit where Renard suggests Kat is letting her do it?

Well, he says that Kat shouldn't let Annie do it -- possibly based entirely on Annie's claim that "She said I could." EDIT: Tom's author comment for that page is "Did Kat really say that?"

I wouldn't be surprised if Kat has said on occasion that Annie can look over her work, but wasn't aware of the extent of it.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 28, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Freudian posted:

Yes you sociopath

Lmao the guy is right. High school is not the place for someone who will probably die in their 30s. And I don't mean your fancy idealized version of education for teenagers, I mean modern western high school education.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Maybe Coyote put a binding on Anthony that snipped off his hand.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kyte posted:

I'm pretty sure normal people would ask for tutoring or at least tell their teachers they don't know the fundamentals.
(That said the court should've figured something was up by now but they aren't a particularly great educational institute either. And the cheating probably masks at least some of Annie's weaknesses)

Annie isn't exactly a normal person.

Also her best friend is a genius; she'd probably feel especially shy about admitting she doesn't understand fractions when Kat is her comparison.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
So Anthony's schedule upon returning to the Court is:

Get set up as a teacher
Prepare a curriculum
Review his daughter's grades and schoolwork
Start teaching

I suppose it's the little things with him, but he's kinda flipping his daughter's life upside down. You'd think a 'hi I'm back in your life' would be warranted.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Come on Annie don't you know when you cheat you're supposed to change one or two of the answers so it's not an exact copy? I guess she was failing Cheating 101 too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

M.c.P posted:

You'd think a 'hi I'm back in your life' would be warranted.

"Admitting he cares" is like his #1 weakness, though.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Tenebrais posted:

Annie isn't exactly a normal person.

Also her best friend is a genius; she'd probably feel especially shy about admitting she doesn't understand fractions when Kat is her comparison.

Kat's really kind and understanding, though. I'm sure she'd be happy to teach Annie, and hopefully she still will be after this truth comes to light!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m46gd0C9ZV4
Three out of three. :colbert:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Lmao the guy is right. High school is not the place for someone who will probably die in their 30s. And I don't mean your fancy idealized version of education for teenagers, I mean modern western high school education.

This is gunnerkrigg court, it has a virtual reality classroom and robot butlers

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Rand Brittain posted:

"Admitting he cares" is like his #1 weakness, though.

Nah, you totally have to care to be disappointed.

That's why you lead off with your daughter's shortcomings when you haven't seen them for like half their life so far. Gotta put your best foot forward and show how concerned you are!

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Blackheart posted:

This is gunnerkrigg court, it has a virtual reality classroom and robot butlers

I know, you'd think they'd be able to change up the formula a bit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Hodgepodge posted:

Nah, you totally have to care to be disappointed.

That's why you lead off with your daughter's shortcomings when you haven't seen them for like half their life so far. Gotta put your best foot forward and show how concerned you are!

Never seen asian parents? :v: