Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Antifreeze Head posted:

How did they attach what they have there though - wood screws into the stepping surface on the inside edge of that top stair?

I want to believe they just rest against the deck ladder-style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

some texas redneck posted:

I wish I only used 800 kWh a month. :smith: I think our low record in the winter is about 900 - that's with a gas furnace, LED/CFL lighting in the entire house, very conservative thermostat settings, etc.

Don't forget losses due to conversion. A really good inverter might top out around 85-90% efficiency when fully loaded (and dropping to 50% or less while lightly loaded), plus you're looking at a square sine wave instead of true with most inverters. Anything with a motor in it will draw more power than it would when on utility AC, if it's getting power from a square sine wave. This may also throw off anything that relies on a true sine wave for a clock (so a lot of AC powered clocks may be a bit off, especially an oldschool clock with a motor instead of electronics).

For comparison (and maybe some bragging) our house is heated by a heat pump that runs on electricity and uses a 130m deep borehole that extracts heat from the ground water. The net usage for the coldest winter months this year (I'm in Finland) is about 900 kWh a month, that includes all heating and lighting, anything that draws power. Also includes my freestanding garage/workshop being heated in that (with a small 2kw element) and the running of various heavy machines. We keep the indoor climate at 21C.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

We keep the indoor climate at 21C.

Meanwhile, I'm over here in California, albeit near the ocean...I turned my furnace on less than 20 times this winter, and most of the time I leave my back door open (when I'm home) so my dog can go out back freely. This tends to result in temperatures during the day of 58°-66°F or so (14.4°-18.9°C), and colder at night.

Of course, most of us can't get away with never turning on the heat, but lowering the temperature of your house can go a long way to saving on energy expenditures (scroll down to "Expectations in Other Climates"). For each extra degree your house is warmer than the outside, you have to spend a ton of extra energy -- so if you can get used to a 15°C house, you'll save a lot of energy vs. being in a 21°C house. And you can get used to a 15°C house.

(The story's probably different if you have a newborn or the elderly in your home, though, since they're less good at regulating their body temperatures)

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Antifreeze Head posted:

They're steep because they are upside down. The good news is it won't take more than a couple hours and not more than $20 to fix.

Yeah, we figured that out immediately, but like Naturally Selected points out, the fix isn't quite that easy. It's fine, though - I wanted to rebuild that porch this spring anyway, put some benches on it and poo poo - right now it doesn't even have railings and it's way too high off the ground for that to feel safe. And as long as we need to get a permit and do a bunch of work out there anyway, we'll put in some stairs that are installed correctly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I helped my dad demolish the deck in their garden last weekend, really well built, ten times as many screws hiding the boards down as you'd want, (no kidding, a screw every 1/2"), massive lag bolts hiding the posts to the frame.

And lovely untreated wood :doh: That's stuff gets heavy when it's waterlogged.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

(The story's probably different if you have a newborn or the elderly in your home, though, since they're less good at regulating their body temperatures)

With a toddler and pregnant wife in the house this last winter, I preemptively lost every single thermostat battle

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

With a toddler and pregnant wife in the house this last winter, I preemptively lost every single thermostat battle

Babies are huge energy-wasters - for each baby you shut down when you're not using it you could save an easy 1000kWh per month.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

killhamster posted:

You forgot one crucial detail:

Ok, NOW it looks like HL2.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

Were your gamma settings off? I remember HL2 being rather dark.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Yeah, if HL2 looked like that something was off with your graphics.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SoundMonkey posted:

I think you installed the HL2: Update mod wrong.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Meanwhile, I'm over here in California, albeit near the ocean...I turned my furnace on less than 20 times this winter, and most of the time I leave my back door open (when I'm home) so my dog can go out back freely. This tends to result in temperatures during the day of 58°-66°F or so (14.4°-18.9°C), and colder at night.

Of course, most of us can't get away with never turning on the heat, but lowering the temperature of your house can go a long way to saving on energy expenditures (scroll down to "Expectations in Other Climates"). For each extra degree your house is warmer than the outside, you have to spend a ton of extra energy -- so if you can get used to a 15°C house, you'll save a lot of energy vs. being in a 21°C house. And you can get used to a 15°C house.

People in Finland are used to 22-24 degree indoor climates and lots of people think we have it too cold actually. We did build a very energy efficient house with cheap heating (also an accumulating fireplace for additional heat) so we could keep it warmer with a better conscience, and easier wallet.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Ever since my daughter was born, we have to keep the temperature lower than comfortable because she's always hot. Daddy's little nuclear reactor!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

some texas redneck posted:

That was 11 years ago; it still rents for $600/month, according to their website (which is what I paid from 02-04). :confused:

Ha, that reminds me. When the landlady called me on the Saturday we were moving to tell me I had to be out by Monday or they'd gently caress over my credit, she said "That's the 4br/2bath, right?"
"Well, no, you advertise it as a 3/1, but the third 'bedroom' is between the kitchen and laundry room."
"Oh. And that's $850 a month? Wow. That's weird."

Maybe since they realized they'd been overcharging us all these years they'll go easy on the cleaning bill/credit fuckery :v:

kastein posted:

on topic poo poo: I was hanging with my brother Monday night and he told me some stories of his ghetto apartment in Manchester NH. The place was wired for three and four way switches for the living room light, but some chucklefuck maintenance handyman had replaced them all with regular switches and swapped wires till it worked. As a result there were 3 switches that ran the light, and any of them would turn it off but they all had to be on to turn the light on.

The best part? They didn't all face up when on and most weren't marked. It took quite a while to figure out how to turn the light on and why there were so many "dead" switches that "did nothing."

There was one switch in the falling-down shithole that never worked, and I was too lazy to bother diagnosing.fixing it -- it had a switch for the kitchen light in the door from the living room, and one in the side door from the kitchen to outside, only the latter worked. Probably the same case as that. We just left the kitchen light on as a night light for the birds.

The new place has a switch by the front door sharing a plate with the porch light switch and I haven't the slightest idea what it does. The switch for the living room light is a single plate 6 inches away. Any guesses? Maybe some of the outlets in the room are switchable for lamps? But surely they weren't still doing that at the turn of this century.

Luckily my dad and uncles are/were HVAC techs with a minor in general contracting, so if anything goes wrong at the new place that I can't handle myself, I can get it fixed for a sixpack of lovely beer, and cost price for any parts they don't have on the truck -- my dad's been retired for 5 years, but his last employer let him keep the van and all the poo poo in it, in case he needs to call him in to fill in when somebody takes a vacation.

Antifreeze Head posted:

They're steep because they are upside down. The good news is it won't take more than a couple hours and not more than $20 to fix. You'll need some construction hangers from Home Depot and another length of pressure treated 2x4 or 2x6 to run between the 4x4 supports, but you already have some sort of concrete footings there for the step down to the ground. At least that is what my rough eyeball math tells me. Worse case scenario is you have to buy (or make) some four step stringers and install them the correct way.

How did they attach what they have there though - wood screws into the stepping surface on the inside edge of that top stair?

Yeah, my uncle who was helping us move commented at length on How Stairs Are Done (I'm out of town and don't have my Bible handy to quote the actual numbers), and on second look I realized they're correct, just installed the wrong way 'round.

They're probably just toenailed through the top step. We're planning to redo the back porch anyway, as InediblePenguin said, and will probably end up going with normal-slope stairs off the near side (opposite the A/C), or if we decide to be fancy, a turn with a landing off the current attachment point. Also eventually a proper step up to the shed -- that cinderblock is one I brought from the previous house and put there on moving day.

Also the new place quite literally isn't up to code, but is grandfathered in -- the original plan was for us to move our trailer to another lot so the previous owner could keep her address, but the grade of the lot is too steep to put a trailer on now, so she just took the lot we were going to move to, to avoid paying for the dirt work. Also saved us $2000 or so not having to move it across the street. She had the trees blocking the moving process cut down before she realized that, so we also save on roof repairs from pine branches crushing our house!

Edit: If any of y'all are engineers/draftsmen/good with CAD programs made in this century and are willing to throw together a porch design for me for the price of a forums upgrade, PM me. The park requires plans to be submitted to build a porch, I'm not sure what the city requires, though I'm pretty sure it's a case of "the neighbors won't report my porch to the city if I don't report their meth lab." I took drafting classes in high school, but I've been out of the game for 15 years and forget how to AutoCAD. My brother and cousin are in surveying -- cousin's a licensed surveyor, brother's the lead machete guy for the college boy he works with -- so I could get the lot half-assedly surveyed if anybody wants to have a go at it.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 27, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Delivery McGee posted:

Maybe some of the outlets in the room are switchable for lamps? But surely they weren't still doing that at the turn of this century.

That's very common. And it's probably not that entire outlets are switched, but rather that they're half-switched, i.e. just the top or just the bottom. My house was built in 2007 and has that in the living room. I use it for the Christmas tree.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KillHour posted:

Were your gamma settings off? I remember HL2 being rather dark.

Nah in the big open areas (like the airboat levels) it was definitely quite bright-pale, though not nearly as edge-detecty as that image seems to be.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Nah in the big open areas (like the airboat levels) it was definitely quite bright-pale, though not nearly as edge-detecty as that image seems to be.

That was because someone went "GUYS, WE INVENTED HDR RENDERING! WE NEED TO USE IT EVERYWHERE!" And someone else went "Okay, but everything still has to look gloomy and depressing." Hence perpetually hazy skies with ridiculous amounts of global illumination.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KillHour posted:

That was because someone went "GUYS, WE INVENTED HDR RENDERING! WE NEED TO USE IT EVERYWHERE!" And someone else went "Okay, but everything still has to look gloomy and depressing." Hence perpetually hazy skies with ridiculous amounts of global illumination.

HDR actually wasn't introduced until Lost Coast came out, like a year after the game was released
:goonsay:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

HDR actually wasn't introduced until Lost Coast came out, like a year after the game was released
:goonsay:

Day of Defeat: Source was the first major Source engine game that had HDR in it from the very beginning. Also, HDR was hilariously expensive back in 2004 land, whereas now it's more or less free processing power-wise.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Sorry to interrupt vidyagame chat, but has this shown up here yet?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

apatite posted:

No, which HL2 map is that from?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Bad Munki posted:

No, which HL2 map is that from?

original Quake Team Fortress mod

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

apatite posted:

wow. That's... wow.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Either the camera has lens distortion, or my mind is mentally viewing that load bearing 2x4 as bowing. Or, it is already bowing.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Manslaughter posted:

Either the camera has lens distortion, or my mind is mentally viewing that load bearing 2x4 as bowing. Or, it is already bowing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Manslaughter posted:

No. It's totally bowing. Compare it to the the other straight lines near it. Barrelling usually happens on the sides with wide angle lenses and affects everything in the picture, not just certain elements.

EDITS: The knottiness of the wood is just icing on the cake.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 27, 2015

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
If that's a door up there, someone's gonna step out for a smoke and die of something other than lung cancer. :v:

However, it looks like it's up a against a window, so I'll naively pretend that someone built a deck for their cat(s).

EDIT: VVVVVV god help us all, then. :ohdear:

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 27, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Orange Mage posted:

If that's a door up there, someone's gonna step out for a smoke and die of something other than lung cancer. :v:

However, it looks like it's up a against a window, so I'll naively pretend that someone built a deck for their cat(s).

No, I'm pretty sure that's a door. It has a porch light and everything. Count the siding.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

So besides the balcony of doom, why the hell do houses get built that close together? Do the residents not mind that there's about a foot of space between your home and your neighbor's and that that entire side of the house is not going to get any light at all?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Manslaughter posted:

So besides the balcony of doom, why the hell do houses get built that close together? Do the residents not mind that there's about a foot of space between your home and your neighbor's and that that entire side of the house is not going to get any light at all?

My house is 11 feet from my neighbors, which is the least amount of space per city law. Pack em in.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Manslaughter posted:

Do the residents not mind that there's about a foot of space between your home and your neighbor's and that that entire side of the house is not going to get any light at all?
It's not about whether people "mind," it's about how many houses you can cram in a development, and people are gonna buy them because where else are you gonna live??

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Densification is a good thing; burn suburbia to the ground.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Linguica posted:

It's not about whether people "mind," it's about how many houses you can cram in a development, and people are gonna buy them because where else are you gonna live??

That's why the build the houses on the smallest lots possible, but the reason why the houses are packed as close as they possibly can is because they're trying to make the houses as large as they can on those small lots. And people will eagerly snatch them up because successful people live in big houses and everyone who gazes upon their possessions must immediately understand how successful and proper they are.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Densification is a good thing; burn suburbia to the ground.

I don't think you understand. They're still building the same suburban sprawl. Expect instead of having 10 houses on a block you now have 25.
I don't even get it anymore, why not just build rowhouses at that point.

I dream of buying a proper house someday, but I'm going to drop a quarter to half a million on a decent home it drat well better have more than 3 feet between my neighbor's way. And not be a cookie cutter cinderblock and stucco monstrosity.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

if you can't hear/smell the neighbor fart your houses are too far away from each other

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zhentar posted:

That's why the build the houses on the smallest lots possible, but the reason why the houses are packed as close as they possibly can is because they're trying to make the houses as large as they can on those small lots. And people will eagerly snatch them up because successful people live in big houses and everyone who gazes upon their possessions must immediately understand how successful and proper they are.

Or they have a family or they'd like something larger than 2-3 bedrooms but whatever I guess everyone should live in a 800sq. ft. shoebox because you have a deep understanding of everyone's living situation.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This guy is possibly the most annoying person on YouTube but if you put it on silent you can see this guys amazing Bitcoin mining shed. Gaze upon the power extension cord hanging from the second story air conditioner and through several puddles, pushing an obviously higher load than rated for. Marvel at the single 120mm computer case fan cooling the entire operation, a fan exposed to the elements and letting rain inside on a frequent basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ylVOLvoiY

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Manslaughter posted:

It never ceases to amaze me watching videos on Jim the Realtor's Youtube channel that so many people are willing to pay $1- 2.5 million for houses that are literally 3 feet away from each other.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

FCKGW posted:

This guy is possibly the most annoying person on YouTube but if you put it on silent you can see this guys amazing Bitcoin mining shed. Gaze upon the power extension cord hanging from the second story air conditioner and through several puddles, pushing an obviously higher load than rated for. Marvel at the single 120mm computer case fan cooling the entire operation, a fan exposed to the elements and letting rain inside on a frequent basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ylVOLvoiY

Dude needs to clean off his upper lip real bad. You got to commit. Grow that stache or don't.

Had to skip around on that video. Looks like he's about ready to start using some all-natural free water cooling from the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

nmfree posted:

It never ceases to amaze me watching videos on Jim the Realtor's Youtube channel that so many people are willing to pay $1- 2.5 million for houses that are literally 3 feet away from each other.

3 feet away? poo poo, that's enough space for a hammock! I live in Vancouver near a neighbourhood called Strathcona where the 60 to 100 year old houses are built so close together that the loving gutters overlap. I'm pretty sure one house fire could easily take out an entire block.

)

Want to purchase a stand alone property in this wonderful neighbourhood where a 25 year old woman had several fingers cut off during a random sexual assault two days ago? A tear-down will run in you in the $750k-range, with a fixer upper easily a million plus. You too could live next door to Vancouver's worst neighbourhood!

e. fixed link

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 28, 2015