Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is insufferable.

She says what we're all thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Art jokes done well.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Two worlds collide!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yes, all tribal witch doctors take the Hippocratic oath, why not. Myself, I have sworn upon Hermes' name to post Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Yes! My favourite fan art is canon!

Ballard Street

Herding dogs have a strong instinct to protect the flock above all else, and that includes weeding out the weak and sickly before they threaten the rest.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Second: Vigilantism is rad.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The morality of The Phantom gets more bizarre every time I look at it.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Umm...have they established that the Mandrake family has any powers besides illusions? Because if he conjures up a net, this could get messy.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

This guy is actually depicted getting girls too.

Bleeker

I thought Karl was going to perform some pagan ritual with those items and was kinda disappointed.

On the Fastrack

What about dyslexic Egyptian-aficionado kid?

Safe Havens

Yeah, screwing with your own DNA is one thing but now there are other lives you might gently caress up

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Yeah, screwing with your own DNA is one thing but now there are other lives you might gently caress up

Maybe they already hosed up their baby and it'll be born as some non-human "miracle".

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Mehuyael posted:

Maybe they already hosed up their baby and it'll be born as some non-human "miracle".

This is exactly what I was thinking. I mean, you two have hosed around with your DNA so much, you have to have introduced a shitload of errors and defects.

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

What about dyslexic Egyptian-aficionado kid?

The thing that weirds me out the most about this is isn't the guy Dethany's old Middle School teacher? I always assumed the characters in On The Fast Track were all about the same age. That's a fairly decent age gap. But, whatever I guess. I mean, it happened in Sally Forth, so I guess it could happen here.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Evil Mastermind posted:

God dammit this isn't even a joke. This loving comic doesn't even make jokes 90% of the time. It just says "This thing is 'nerd thing.' You like nerd thing? Others like nerd thing too!" Between this and Intelligent Life this looks to be an unfortunate trend. I blame marketing people.

In this case, he happens to be deciding which he misses more, a show that's over a decade old and another even loving older. Can this really even be called a "geek" thing at this point, or is it more a "can't move on in life" thing?

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Oh and that first panel with the awkwardly placed head profile in the corner thing this guy does annoys the hell out of me.

Thank you for reading my strong opinions on "nerd comics."

F Minus

Mary Worth

She's a gelfling!

Rex Morgan MD

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

What bugged me most in Intelligent Life this time was that the first comic's premise was "hey you should break up with him" and the second comic's was "what why do you want to break up with him??" which is just so... I mean, does he not even read the comic he just wrote?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Seriously, is this old lady in Rex Morgan a mob boss or something? I'm also laughing at Chufty Rex getting yelled at.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

In this case, he happens to be deciding which he misses more, a show that's over a decade old and another even loving older. Can this really even be called a "geek" thing at this point, or is it more a "can't move on in life" thing?
There's a difference? :v:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
You may be a geek if...

:getin:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Seriously, is this old lady in Rex Morgan a mob boss or something? I'm also laughing at Chufty Rex getting yelled at.

She's a mob widow! And it's about time we got to the shaking down portion of this arc!

Luann

I guess the important lesson being taught here is that art is bullshit and we should defund arts programs, like, yesterday.

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Flightless Boob Lady, Black Widow, to the rescue! Presumably she intends to absorb the shock of their landing with her pillowy breasts.

Juliet Jones

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

People in the old days really must've hated their jobs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So would you if you spent 10 hours a day standing at a smokey, oily machine making the same boring doodad over and over again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

goatface posted:

So would you if you spent 10 hours a day standing at a smokey, oily machine making the same boring doodad over and over again.
In terrible safety conditions no less! Slacking off as much as you can is a survival tactic.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Flightless Boob Lady, Black Widow, to the rescue! Presumably she intends to absorb the shock of their landing with her pillowy breasts.

She won't have to, seeing as she's holding some kind of safety line.

Also, Black Widow??Does this mean the rest of the cast of Age of Ultron are going to be showing up in this story?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mehuyael posted:

Paving the way for a(nother?) Kevin & Kell crossover!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Also, Black Widow??Does this mean the rest of the cast of Age of Ultron are going to be showing up in this story?

Oh my god I hope so. :allears:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

God dammit this isn't even a joke. This loving comic doesn't even make jokes 90% of the time. It just says "This thing is 'nerd thing.' You like nerd thing? Others like nerd thing too!" Between this and Intelligent Life this looks to be an unfortunate trend. I blame marketing people.

... said the guy who just made a Dark Crystal joke.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Ensign_Ricky posted:

All of a sudden I want to see J. Jonah Hitler Iron Man in an upcoming Marvel film.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Grilox posted:

What bugged me most in Intelligent Life this time was that the first comic's premise was "hey you should break up with him" and the second comic's was "what why do you want to break up with him??" which is just so... I mean, does he not even read the comic he just wrote?

The most recent intelligent lifes were posted in reverse chronological order though so...

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I guess the important lesson being taught here is that art is bullshit and we should defund arts programs, like, yesterday.
I wonder how many hundreds or thousands of dollars Luann is paying for this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Midnight Moth posted:

I wonder how many hundreds or thousands of dollars Luann is paying for this.

Community college? As low as $300, maybe.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what this Luann storyline is meant to be saying. Is it just "modern art is rubbish"? "Modern art teachers are rubbish"? "Studying the liberal arts is rubbish"?

Is it going to turn out that the idiocy is in fact a work of performance art and they all failed for following along like sheep?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I mean, you two have hosed around with your DNA so much, you have to have introduced a shitload of errors and defects.

The thing that weirds me out the most about this is isn't the guy Dethany's old Middle School teacher? I always assumed the characters in On The Fast Track were all about the same age. That's a fairly decent age gap. But, whatever I guess. I mean, it happened in Sally Forth, so I guess it could happen here.
Fi is somewhere around 40 apparently. Dethany is 28 I think.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

This. I try not to assume that the story necessarily represents what the writer thinks, but it's getting hard to avoid the impression that the Evanses really, really hate arts instruction. I get that we're supposed to hate Mr. Pretentious Art Teacher, but he is so one-dimensional and over the top that I end up hating on the strip instead. It was the same with Ms. Pretentious Drama Teacher a while back.

Yup. Angry about this comic.

(Disappointed rather than angry, really; I haven't cared enough to get angry about Luann up until now.)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

True to traditional Evans form I'm baffled as to whether or not we're meant to like Zebo, and whether or not the reason I don't like him is the reason I'm meant to not like him. Nor can I tell if we're supposed to agree with this whole "you must remove yourself from the creative process" angle, because on the one hand that's a baldly hypocritical position for Evans to take up, but on the other hand it's not really being openly condemned.

Most of all, though, I can't quite figure out if I'm supposed to have opinions about this character at all or if this is just some badly executed "Hahaha man art classes amirite?" "humor."

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
The Evanses are bad writers but I'll give them credit for being more creative than their fanbase, who would just write the most boring and predictable storylines.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think Luann is going for a moral or anything. This is just "Look at this thing that has happened, there is a punchline in the last panel". There is no message, just a pun and a 'take statement literally'.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

WindyMan posted:

All of a sudden I want to see J. Jonah Hitler Iron Man in an upcoming Marvel film.

I could give a poo poo whether or not spiderman shows up in the third Avengers movie.

JK Simmons in an iron man suit? I'd kill somebody for that. Anybody here, *shht* just like that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

So are they the only three students in this class?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sitting behind the only table in the room.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

I don't think Luann is going for a moral or anything. This is just "Look at this thing that has happened, there is a punchline in the last panel". There is no message, just a pun and a 'take statement literally'.

It doesn't have to be a moral to take the piss out of the art world.

Also it would be cool if the jokes were funny. I"m not even sure if those are actually punchlines. They could use some punch.

fake edit: attempt to take the piss?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I do like rendering that shredding noise as gurnza gurnza. That made me smile a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life
We don't do miracles, but Laserbomb and I felt the need to make this one better.

• Locked thread