Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Reason I ask is I understood it was a pretty steep descent but somehow they know he throttled up at the same time.

The engines, being full FADEC, would have done whatever they needed to do to give the thrust required for the requested vertical speed change. That could have involved spooling up, down, or keeping on trucking. But yeah, probably lost in media translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

An axe? On an airplane? Really?

There's many airlines with a code locked comparent with handcuffs, axe and expandable baton and some other stuff in there for miscellaneous emergencies.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phanatic posted:

Do you have *any* evidence whatsoever that any of what you describe had the slightest thing to do with this enormity?

Because until you do, you're just jumping to conclusions and doing things that might make things worse. Safety is complicated, especially when you're trying to minimize the risk of fantastically unlikely events. On 9/11, nutbags forced their way into the cockpit of four planes, took control, and flew them into large solid objects. So hey, we implement, without a whole lot of thought about how fantastically unlikely that sort of thing is, secure cockpit doors to make it impossible for people to break into the cockpit. And lo, we contribute to another fantastically unlikely event that kills a bunch of people because this time the nutbag was already in the cockpit from the beginning.

Maybe on balance secure locking doors is a good idea, 9/11 certainly wasn't the first time that someone forced their way into the cockpit and killed the crew. But ihis isn't first pilot who decided to take the enter passenger manifest into the ground with him, either. Until you understand what happened, Doing Something to prevent that thing from happening again is fraught with peril.

Uh, I'm trying to figure out how your reply has anything to do with what I wrote. It sounds like you just read my post and decided to piss a stream of consciousness onto a small wall of text.

I wasn't talking about cockpit doors at all, and my 'evidence' is the instances where actual *pilots* have tried to or succeeded in crashing a plane intentionally. And it's well-known that airline pilots are notoriously overtaxed time-wise, even with FAA regulations designed to make sure they're not getting behind the controls strung out.

...seriously..."doing things that might make things worse." Who do you think I am, the head of the FAA?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 27, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

and decided to piss a stream of consciousness onto a small wall of text.

haha I bet some people thought that about your post

It probably didn't help that you ended your post by deciding blame for this "kind of" lies on the customer who wants to spend less money as opposed to more money on air travel, as if someone's ticket price going up $100 would do gently caress all beyond padding an airline's bottom line as opposed to making any positive safety enhancements on air travel.

e: if you want substantive, industry-wide changes to policy that might change overall "flight safety" for the better, I feel like you're really advocating re-regulation of air travel. What else would work?

I put that in quotes because it's complicated - change procedures to protect against X event, suddenly more vulnerable to Y event. Then you get into probability analysis and I'll just be stopping this post now.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 27, 2015

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Guys it was a US Air Force laser.

http://www.eutimes.net/2015/03/us-laser-test-destroys-germanwings-airliner-killing-150-innocent-civilians/

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Well, that certainly explains everything on the flight recorders...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Are the commenters on that site in on the joke? Because after clicking around on the some other incredibly well-sourced factual articles, wow...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It appears a ghost set the thread title.

Stay safe captain ghost.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I really wish it'd been "The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, the plane turned back" though

that was hilarious, this is depressing.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

david_a posted:

Are the commenters on that site in on the joke? Because after clicking around on the some other incredibly well-sourced factual articles, wow...

There's no reason to read the public comments section of anything ever. Even if you find 1-2 decent posts, the other 100 you wade through will make you hate the entire human race really quickly.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The guy in front of the grocery store told me it was the large hadron collider.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Beyond this thread, there is no good, well thought out, and logical discussion on aviation anywhere else. Probably because so many of us are/were flyers or work in aviation.

R/aviation has a few moments, but it's still mostly a cesspool.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

david_a posted:

It's a site for conspiracy nuts, by conspiracy nuts, they're 'in on it' as much as they think nothing happens without some shadowy organisation being behind it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Beyond this thread, there is no good, well thought out, and logical discussion on aviation anywhere else. Probably because so many of us are/were flyers or work in aviation.

R/aviation has a few moments, but it's still mostly a cesspool.

Theres also the ask/tell threads.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

The GiP Cold War Airpower thread is pretty good. Or it was.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

The GiP Cold War Airpower thread is pretty good. Or it was.

It's TFR not GIP.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wouldn't a GiP Cold War air power thread just be "my 707 is better than yours"?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any thread in GiP, despite the topic, will eventually be about dogs, Katy Perry's butt, or trans raptors.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Any thread in GiP, despite the topic, will eventually be about dogs, Katy Perry's butt, or trans raptors.

And God bless you for it, every one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

No T.Swift?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sorry we're into women with actual butts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ugh, GiP threads always seem to turn into a Conservative poo poo show...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sorry we're into women with actual butts.

Haters gonna hate.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Haters gonna hate.

See also:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
drat.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
:swoon:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Oh god, what have I started?

Edit: 'Dem hush kits, tho...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Oh god, what have I started?

Edit: 'Dem hush kits, tho...

Embrace all that is good.

Seriously, you guys. Watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-ob6PRvdY

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

CommieGIR posted:

Ugh, GiP threads always seem to turn into a Conservative poo poo show...

If gip and dnd are opposite ends of the spectrum the pendulum definitely swings further out in dnd.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I think he's joking.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I think he's joking.

I'm not so sure about that.

But holy poo poo was the B-58 ever a sexy deathtrap.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

gfanikf posted:

Also does NTSB ever play a part in Military aircraft accidents?

Military investigates themselves.

I'm sure there's some unusual circumstance where the NTSB would be involved with a military mishap but the military has their own investigative process, investigators, etc.

I think he's joking.

Except when Sky Shark occasionally shows up

(which is usually still pretty funny)

(:()

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I think he's joking.

God I love that thing.

Sexy Death Trap

Death-y Sex Trap

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Has anyone ever checked out this place in mall of America

http://youtu.be/9hGs7iD1LNI

I got a day to waste in Minneapolis and this seems like an excellent way to do it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

jaegerx posted:

I got a day to waste in Minneapolis and this seems like an excellent way to do it.

It's forty bucks for 30 minutes, by the way.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's forty bucks for 30 minutes, by the way.

Is it worth it? Just a couple attempts on a carrier seem worth it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Also bathing the Earth in nuclear fire.

I am pro all of these things.

CommieGIR posted:

Death-y Sex Trap

Mods

VVV hahahahaha!

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 28, 2015

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Bud Holland's Advanced Flight Trainer

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

SyHopeful posted:

drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

SyHopeful posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo son.

The Hustler is sexy and all, but the Valkyrie was the most beautiful thing to ever fly. Poor Valkyrie, you were too good for this ugly world.

jaegerx posted:

I'm honestly surprised they didn't use Sail in that video.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 28, 2015