Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Anyone pick up Invincible #118 because free? Because bravo Robert, what sells new readers on a superhero book better than tearful RAPE CONFESSIONS?! Jesus Christ. It's more and more clear the dude has one mode that he slaps different genre trappings on as needed.

I just picked it up and came here to see if this was being discussed. Not only was there a rape confession, but there was also the fact that there was no super hero action at all, he is never in his costume, he spends most of the issue taking care of his baby and having dinner with his brother, and then he takes a really big poo poo which his wife has to help him unclog which is what leads to the rape confession. In a free comic to draw in new readers. What a train wreck.

I have no idea what Kirkman's contract is like, I assumed the comic was creator owned otherwise my assumption at this point is that he has got to be intentionally tanking sales to get it cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Invincible is creator-owned, just as all Image titles are. He's also an Image partner, so he can probably keep it going as long as he wants provided he can afford to pay the artist.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I just picked it up and came here to see if this was being discussed. Not only was there a rape confession, but there was also the fact that there was no super hero action at all, he is never in his costume, he spends most of the issue taking care of his baby and having dinner with his brother, and then he takes a really big poo poo which his wife has to help him unclog which is what leads to the rape confession. In a free comic to draw in new readers. What a train wreck.

I have no idea what Kirkman's contract is like, I assumed the comic was creator owned otherwise my assumption at this point is that he has got to be intentionally tanking sales to get it cancelled.

... :psyduck: This is a real comic that exists? What? I ... almost want to read it to see the trainwreck, now.

Edit: I read it and, uh. ... I mean, at least the rape confession ... wasn't the main character admitting he raped somebody? There's that? Good lord. That's such a weird issue to try and welcome new readers on board with.

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 28, 2015

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Invincible is creator-owned, just as all Image titles are. He's also an Image partner, so he can probably keep it going as long as he wants provided he can afford to pay the artist.

Then I just have no idea what the gently caress

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

... :psyduck: This is a real comic that exists? What? I ... almost want to read it to see the trainwreck, now.

Edit: I read it and, uh. ... I mean, at least the rape confession ... wasn't the main character admitting he raped somebody? There's that? Good lord. That's such a weird issue to try and welcome new readers on board with.

Not quite. He was admitting to being raped, which was shown on-panel, and the female Viltrumite responsible has come on to him aggressively a couple times since then.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Inkspot posted:

Not quite. He was admitting to being raped, which was shown on-panel, and the female Viltrumite responsible has come on to him aggressively a couple times since then.

Oh, yeah, I got that he was the one who'd been raped. I was saying at least it wasn't the main character doing the raping. Admittedly I did not phrase it especially coherently because I was busy being confused as to why you'd include that in an issue offered for free as a starting point for new readers. Like, I was offering that statement as a conciliatory question to myself - "at least the main character isn't a rapist?" because it coulda been worse.

That was my first experience with the series, and it was a weird one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll be honest, the sitcom-like elements at the start I was down with. Like, the whole thing with Mark's brother's girlfriend being unattractive to us, and the joke is he finds human girls ugly is a bit groan-worthy, but it's sold with enough aplomb that I was "OK, this is an interesting direction" and then the alien poop joke and the tearful confession and the cot-death/SIDS cliffhanger and I should really have figured it out when the 'previously on' ended with the rad robot guy from the early issues being a genocidal dictator because... um... :confused:

It's mindboggling when you look at the first Invincible trade and it has a foreword by Bendis telling Kirkman that he's never giving up USM but this is the next best thing and now I'm like... well, one of those things is true?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Oh, yeah, I got that he was the one who'd been raped. I was saying at least it wasn't the main character doing the raping.

In hindsight, that is painfully obvious and I feel stupid.

So, I'm all caught up with Deadly Class and They're Not Like Us, and I'm kind of over both of them for the opposite reason. I just want Deadly Class to slow down so I can enjoy the characters more, and I want They're Not Like Us to GET TO THE loving POINT ALREADY.

I did swipe some of Rus Wooton's lettering tricks from Deadly Class, which he in turn looks to have swiped from John Workman, for a book I worked on. So there's that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

the cot-death/SIDS cliffhanger

Oh my god I forgot about that too! There was just so much bonkers poo poo in this comic that I can't keep it all straight.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

That was my first experience with the series, and it was a weird one.

Here's the thing, the first arc starts off as a super-good teen superhero book! Then there's some ultraviolence, but it's built to well enough that you can roll with it as selling the stakes. Then the series keeps going and it becomes increasingly clear that the shock and violence aren't being done for dramatic effect, as much as because Kirkman doesn't know any other way to tell stories.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fantagraphix has a sale on till the 1st.
http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=804&Itemid=62

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Gaz-L posted:

Here's the thing, the first arc starts off as a super-good teen superhero book! Then there's some ultraviolence, but it's built to well enough that you can roll with it as selling the stakes. Then the series keeps going and it becomes increasingly clear that the shock and violence aren't being done for dramatic effect, as much as because Kirkman doesn't know any other way to tell stories.

After a while you stop seeing it as shock or violence and just see every Invincible fight as comedy gore. Everyone contains forty gallons of blood and their limbs come of if they sneeze.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
A tv show is the greatest thing to happen to Kirkman in the history of forever. That way he can have a solid idea, and people take it and work with it. And he can have an ok idea, and people take it and polish it up and good actors sell the hell out of it. And he can have a really loving stupid idea, and then someone hits him in the God drat face with a rolled up newspaper and they dial that poo poo down to something more workable.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Boogaleeboo posted:

A tv show is the greatest thing to happen to Kirkman in the history of forever. That way he can have a solid idea, and people take it and work with it. And he can have an ok idea, and people take it and polish it up and good actors sell the hell out of it. And he can have a really loving stupid idea, and then someone hits him in the God drat face with a rolled up newspaper and they dial that poo poo down to something more workable.

lol, if you think the Walking Dead is a good show with good actors.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lol, if you think the Walking Dead is a good show with good actors.

The actress playing Carol and the actor playing Daryl are both excellent. Helps that they have excellently written characters (who are either original to the show or so altered they may as well be) to play as well.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I enjoy comic book Walking Dead but everything they have done to steer away from the comics has been good choices as far as I'm concerned. Shane living longer, the individual character studies on the way to terminus, the prison - it was all better.

Season 2 sucked though, and I haven't seen anything post Terminus-intro.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
drat Southern Bastards is so so good

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

bobkatt013 posted:

It's just amazing.

How good is Jupiter Ascending?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Jason Aaron and Jason Latour were both at a local Comic Con and I cursed both of them for making me feel sympathetic to Coach Boss. Jason Latour told me "to wait until the next issue." and I agree. All the good will I had towards Coach Boss is gone. I can't wait to see where we go from here. Hell of a ride so far.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

Jason Aaron and Jason Latour were both at a local Comic Con and I cursed both of them for making me feel sympathetic to Coach Boss. Jason Latour told me "to wait until the next issue." and I agree. All the good will I had towards Coach Boss is gone. I can't wait to see where we go from here. Hell of a ride so far.

I read this post before I read the issue, since I decided to do a full reread before it, and ... god drat, haha. Yup. loving hell. That was a ride indeed.

Aaron and Latour are really bringing it on this book.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I read this post before I read the issue, since I decided to do a full reread before it, and ... god drat, haha. Yup. loving hell. That was a ride indeed.

Aaron and Latour are really bringing it on this book.

I apologize if I accidentally spoiled anything for you :(

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

I apologize if I accidentally spoiled anything for you :(

You did not, don't worry! The notion that I'd lose sympathy for the dude didn't wreck what happened in the slightest. Also, I'm the one who clicked the thread on a Wednesday knowing full well I hadn't read everything yet. I was mostly just posting to agree with you.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

A Tin Of Beans posted:

You did not, don't worry! The notion that I'd lose sympathy for the dude didn't wreck what happened in the slightest. Also, I'm the one who clicked the thread on a Wednesday knowing full well I hadn't read everything yet. I was mostly just posting to agree with you.

Southern Bastards is such a great book. A co-worker of mine (who doesn't read comics) walked past my desk and was like "What is this?" and picked up issue #1. I told him it was a "Walking Tall" esque book set in Alabama. He asked if he could read it, now he reads Southern Bastards, Saga, Rocket Raccoon, Hawkeye, and all the Marvel Star Wars books right now. The kid is turning into an addict. He was at the comic con with me and was super excited to meet Jason Aaron and Latour.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I read the first seven issues of Trees, is it Warren Ellis's lost script repository or what? Err, I mean, do the threads tie together soon? The trees have meant gently caress all while Ellis remakes the world in his dialog.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Space Fish posted:

I read the first seven issues of Trees, is it Warren Ellis's lost script repository or what? Err, I mean, do the threads tie together soon? The trees have meant gently caress all while Ellis remakes the world in his dialog.

That's kind of the point. The story isn't so much about what the trees are, but how they've affected the world. So it's more like a series of stories, they don't really link up.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is Copra Round Two out yet? How is it? I enjoyed Round One and want to support Fiffe, but as a huge Suicide Squad fanboy, I wanted to like it more than I actually did. Does that make sense?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is Copra Round Two out yet? How is it? I enjoyed Round One and want to support Fiffe, but as a huge Suicide Squad fanboy, I wanted to like it more than I actually did. Does that make sense?

It has been out through Bergen St for a month or so, but they're now sold out. It was solicited as being available from Diamond this past Wednesday, but none of the local shops around me got it (honestly, only 2 of the local shops would probably stock it).

Though Ostrander's Suicide Squad is obviously a huge inspiration for Fiffe, it's not the ONLY thing he's riffing on. Copra is more like Savage Dragon in how it filters a huge amount of comic book history through the mind of one writer-artist and out spills an amazing funnybook.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Picked up Kaijumax on a whim. I didn't know I needed a tokusatsu prison book in my life, but here we are.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Space Fish posted:

That was my complaint as well, but as was pointed out to me as well the Trees themselves are not the focus of the story. At this point they've been there for 10 years so nobody really even cares about them at this point.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Inkspot posted:

Picked up Kaijumax on a whim. I didn't know I needed a tokusatsu prison book in my life, but here we are.

I didn't even know this existed until now, but I'm already sold.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I should clarify my question, because I can see where I sounded too much like Milhouse demanding why Itchy & Scratchy weren't at the fireworks factory...

The Trees being in the background of the different stories' world is fine by me; what I want to know is, have the different story threads gone anywhere more interesting than they did in the first seven issues? Or combined at all?

Separately: even when Deadly Class's dialog/ultraviolence are a little too over the top for me, the art (colors & layouts especially) is so loving gorgeous that I can overlook anything else. Such a pleasure to read, every issue.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Space Fish posted:

Separately: even when Deadly Class's dialog/ultraviolence are a little too over the top for me, the art (colors & layouts especially) is so loving gorgeous that I can overlook anything else. Such a pleasure to read, every issue.
I feel the same. The story and just the interactions of it are so livid and intense that I trade wait it because I don't think I could handle waiting for it monthly.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I just got caught up on the first 3 Lazarus trades. Holy poo poo it's good.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

pugnax posted:

I just got caught up on the first 3 Lazarus trades. Holy poo poo it's good.
I know, right?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Rebels #1 is excellent right from the start. If you like Northlanders, this is definitely up your alley.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I kinda feel like people stick this "it started out as a fun superhero book!" tag to Invincible, when in actuality, it was only six issues in when the Omni-Man heel turn happens and the book goes into bodies-exploding territory.

Not to mention Kirkman's always been an unapologetic Erik Larsen fan, whose own Image book heavily influenced young Kirkman. The guy was never aiming at an intellectualy dissection of the superhero myth ala Morrison or Ellis. Were you really expecting anything else by a guy who got into comics with a book that had covers like this (slightly :nws:)? Really?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The entire appeal of Invincible to me was the mashup of super strength + violent application of that strength.

I like a lot of other elements too (although I stopped reading around the time the T-Rex Terrorist and Invincible started teaming up) and I don't get why people are put off by the violence or act as if it wasn't always there.

I mean the first arc, as you mentioned, involves that spoiler. That sets it apart from Teen Superman Sitcom pretty clearly.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Sigma-X posted:

The entire appeal of Invincible to me was the mashup of super strength + violent application of that strength.

I like a lot of other elements too (although I stopped reading around the time the T-Rex Terrorist and Invincible started teaming up) and I don't get why people are put off by the violence or act as if it wasn't always there.

I mean the first arc, as you mentioned, involves that spoiler. That sets it apart from Teen Superman Sitcom pretty clearly.

So far, you are the only person I've heard of who wasn't surprised by the massive and continuous escalation in violence and gore of that series.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Hey! Kaptara was lots of fun! I mean, I expected it would be because Chip Zdarsky, but still, it was just super enjoyable all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I enjoyed Kaptara as well. Chip Zdarsky is the best. Another new book I picked up this week was The Infinite Loop. The artwork in it is outstanding. Very stylish. Probably not a style for everyone but man I loved it.