Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandactyl
Jun 1, 2011

A kinder, gentler herpes
Grimey Drawer
These are the most glorious things I have seen in a while.

Pioneer HPM-100 Plexiglass Speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mandactyl posted:

These are the most glorious things I have seen in a while.

Pioneer HPM-100 Plexiglass Speakers.

They sound a lot worse than the regular HPMs (this goes for all of them) even though they definitely look cool as hell. Plexi isn't a particularly good material for big speakers, especially if there isn't any internal bracing or dampening material.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Found this McIntosh MAC 4100 and two reel to reel players this weekend. Works just great except the FM Tuner has a low volume. No biggie though I don't listen to the radio at all.

Mandactyl
Jun 1, 2011

A kinder, gentler herpes
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

They sound a lot worse than the regular HPMs (this goes for all of them) even though they definitely look cool as hell. Plexi isn't a particularly good material for big speakers, especially if there isn't any internal bracing or dampening material.

I don't want to listen to them, I was never a fan of these speakers in the first place, but they sure do look cool.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

Found this McIntosh MAC 4100 and two reel to reel players this weekend. Works just great except the FM Tuner has a low volume. No biggie though I don't listen to the radio at all.

That has all the charm of a ham radio but I love it.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Yeah it's pretty ugly, the plan is to turn around and sell it so I can get a proper Mcintosh pre amp for my MC2105.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
So I moved into my new flat over the weekend and finally got my system set up and I'm really happy with it! It was cobbled together from charity shops and presents, the only thing I actually dropped a fair amount of money on were the speakers.

One thing I noticed listening to some albums on LP through a decent set of speakers was the sheer difference in sound compared to streaming stuff off Spotify. I can kinda see where the urge for ever better sound that the Audiophiles constantly chase comes from, after hearing that difference. Not going to be buying any magic sound improving pebbles or mega expensive speaker wire. The £12 for 20m reel from Maplin sounds fine.

Consider me a very big convert.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Killer mono setup.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Killer mono setup.

:vince:

Yeah and I also wouldn't put the turntable on top of the receiver like that. Those vintage ones run HOT and the wood/MDF cases are really good insulators. All of that heat has to go through those vents on top.

Also- if you haven't set your Spotify sound quality preferences to "Extreme" (for mobile)/"High" (on the desktop client) yet you really should. It's 320kbps which is actually pretty drat good for 90% of the music listening that we do no matter what the kool-aid drinkers will tell you. Is Lossless "better"? Yes, but you'll need a pretty narrow use case/snazzy headphones to really notice.

And if you use iOS devices/Mac or iTunes on PC, then you should totally grab a used AirPort Express on Amazon for ~$60, a FiiO D03K 'Taishan' DAC for $30, and the requisite Optical and RCA cables that you'll need to plug them into the Pioneer's Aux port. That way you'll have a bitching AirPlay setup infused with the sound of sweet vintage audio (you can also save ~$35 and just plug the Airport straight into the receiver with an RCA-headphone adapter, but I find that it can sometimes be a bit noisier with older components).

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Hi fellow something awful posters, you may recognize me from the "Getting your first home audio system" thread, but if not here's a quick background: my audiophile father-in-law died earlier this month and since my wife was his only child we now have his very elaborate stereo system and record collection.

I'm in Dallas, TX and after the wife and I sort through all the records, where's a good place to sell what's left over? We're about a third of the way through them right now, and I hope to have an inventory put together when we're finished.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:vince:

Yeah and I also wouldn't put the turntable on top of the receiver like that. Those vintage ones run HOT and the wood/MDF cases are really good insulators. All of that heat has to go through those vents on top.

Also- if you haven't set your Spotify sound quality preferences to "Extreme" (for mobile)/"High" (on the desktop client) yet you really should. It's 320kbps which is actually pretty drat good for 90% of the music listening that we do no matter what the kool-aid drinkers will tell you. Is Lossless "better"? Yes, but you'll need a pretty narrow use case/snazzy headphones to really notice.

And if you use iOS devices/Mac or iTunes on PC, then you should totally grab a used AirPort Express on Amazon for ~$60, a FiiO D03K 'Taishan' DAC for $30, and the requisite Optical and RCA cables that you'll need to plug them into the Pioneer's Aux port. That way you'll have a bitching AirPlay setup infused with the sound of sweet vintage audio (you can also save ~$35 and just plug the Airport straight into the receiver with an RCA-headphone adapter, but I find that it can sometimes be a bit noisier with older components).

Pro tips itt is why I love it.

I was thinking about getting the Rockit, similar concept, and putting it through the tape monitor port. You can stream to it from a phone and that, plus you can use the Spotify Connect thing on it. My CD player is going via the Aux port, worst case I can just switch the two round when I need too, it's no bother.

Will shift it round to let the heat escape :)

Also that mono comment is pro tier :vince:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

The Mandingo posted:

Hi fellow something awful posters, you may recognize me from the "Getting your first home audio system" thread, but if not here's a quick background: my audiophile father-in-law died earlier this month and since my wife was his only child we now have his very elaborate stereo system and record collection.

I'm in Dallas, TX and after the wife and I sort through all the records, where's a good place to sell what's left over? We're about a third of the way through them right now, and I hope to have an inventory put together when we're finished.

eBay will probably net you the highest prices but you have to pay a 10% listing fee, 3% PayPal fee, and shipping is probably another 10%. For records, I would try Discogs. Other places to sell audio stuff would be Audiogon and maybe AudioKarma, but they may stagnate for a while and I think you have to pay fees. I would try Craigslist also if you don't want to ship or pay fees.

Also if you want, send me the inventory. I'd be interested in seeing what you're selling.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
SA Mart's always an option too.

And actually, I don't know what your market is like there, but if you want to move the records as one lot, you could probably do a lot worse than Craigslist. Big lots of records move fast around here if it's not all Perry Como/Herb Alpert/Babs thrift store garbage. If it's a bunch of pretty common classic rock stuff that's not really collectible, might be worth moving it all for $2 a record instead of busting your rear end on ebay to get $5 bucks a piece.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 27, 2015

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

The Mandingo posted:

I know this is a extreme long shot, but did you already sell some of the equipment on Ebay?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There's also US Audio Mart. My understanding, though, is that eBay and Audiogon are the best options. Audiogon used to be better, but people still search it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

TooLShack posted:

I know this is a extreme long shot, but did you already sell some of the equipment on Ebay?

No, we haven't even moved everything into our place yet, but we have gotten the most valuable equipment. I don't think my wife wants to sell anything besides some of the records anyways.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got this nice-looking Sony TC-K96R today at a church sale for $20.

It's in perfect physical condition, but of course it doesn't work perfectly. I think I've eliminated all the problems except there is a loud hiss in the left channel all the time. Even if you press play without a tape in it. It registers on the VU meters and peakmeter. Would that be a bad cap or something?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Even when you are listening to the source through the deck?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TooLShack posted:

Even when you are listening to the source through the deck?

I just tried recording with it and it played the source without the hiss. And the tape recorded without hiss as well. It's just when playing back (with or without a tape in it).

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Still learning on to fix tape decks, but there is a record/playback switch that needs to be cleaned sometimes that will cause problems. Block Diagram shows possibly two of them on this unit, but I might be reading it wrong.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/tc-k96r.shtml

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TooLShack posted:

Still learning on to fix tape decks, but there is a record/playback switch that needs to be cleaned sometimes that will cause problems. Block Diagram shows possibly two of them on this unit, but I might be reading it wrong.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sony/tc-k96r.shtml

Thanks, but I might need you to point out what you're seeing for me to find it in there. This thing has a crazy amount of components. I can get some pics if necessary.

EDIT: By some dumb stroke of luck, I fixed this. I took a piece of metal and poked around the points where the L and R signals came into the main board. There was some crackling and some bad sounds (maybe the meters going crazy?), and I thought I killed it. But it's working fine now. Can't say I'd recommend that as a fix but I won't question it.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 28, 2015

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I do the same thing but with a chop stick, tap around the circuit boards to find loose solder joints.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

hm

I didn't know Kevin made speakers.

What the hell is neads-neds???

wait

:aaaaa:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
"Nice speakers Kevin"

"Thanks man."

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The worst part is that my Bozak speakers sound crappy in comparison to the Kevins. :mad:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What drivers are in the Kevins? (if you can see in there)

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Have you recap'd the crossover in the bozaks? My friend did that to his pair and really made a difference in the sound according to him.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

taqueso posted:

What drivers are in the Kevins? (if you can see in there)

I can't take the fabric off without unstapling it. The grille on the back says Scan-Speak, and it looks like there's one 4.5" and one 8" driver in each.

TooLShack posted:

Have you recap'd the crossover in the bozaks? My friend did that to his pair and really made a difference in the sound according to him.

I haven't. Maybe if nobody buys the Kevins I'll see if the drivers fit in the Bozaks, too :unsmigghh:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Finally bought a AT-LP120 & a FiiO E09K headphone amplifier, for use with German Maestro GMP 8.35 D headphones.

Obviously a massive upgrade over the Soviet-era record player I had previously.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I turned the knob on the back of the Bozaks from "normal" to "mellow" and they sound better :toot:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I'm still having weird static and crackle issues so I bought a new Shure M97xE cartridge as step one in figure out where in the chain my sound problem is.

I could have probably gotten an aftermarket needle for my ancient Empire 4000 DIII cart that I found at my work and have been testing out on my setup (with a needle of questionable age and use that is probably the culprit) but I figure this way I'm totally safe, right? Just in case there's something going poopoo inside the cartridge itself! Right? Right?

Does anyone have a really good alignment video for a straight arm deck I could check out? I'm still not sure I'm doing it right. I keep lining this poo poo up on various protractors I've printed but it always just ends up with me thinking it doesn't sound great and then twisting the drat thing around and testing it until it sounds better. Is this standard practice :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

:catdrugs:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Aw man, don't be a square :v:

Of course they're from Sony, no one else is silly enough to use square drivers.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

KozmoNaut posted:

Aw man, don't be a square :v:

Of course they're from Sony, no one else is silly enough to use square drivers.

http://www.kicker.com/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fair enough, but it's still a stupid idea.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You'll notice it's a car audio brand. They thrive on gimmicks. I used to be in that industry and the amount of ignorance was unreal. Also gluing heavy glowing plastic bits to the speaker cones was a thing.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I just got an Audio Technica turntable to replace my old lovely one with a broken belt, and I set it up, but it won't spin.

I assume it's the motor broken, and I should just send it back to Amazon? Or is there One Little Trick that I missed for the LP60?

EDIT: Wait, manual was unclear, fixed it

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 9, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I just got an Audio Technica turntable to replace my old lovely one with a broken belt, and I set it up, but it won't spin.

I assume it's the motor broken, and I should just send it back to Amazon? Or is there One Little Trick that I missed for the LP60?

EDIT: Wait, manual was unclear, fixed it

I'm so sorry that you got an LP-60.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
the trick is not buying a garbage turntable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -