Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Adnar posted:

In the lounge at KL airport and the only Aus Newspaper is a dozen copies of the Courier Mail. Who's exporting that poo poo?

Man KL airport is depressing. WiFi is good at least, but some of the worst coffee I've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Cartoon posted:

Just off my first shift of How to Vote.

No democracy sausage.

Was able to get a soy chia latte however.

Really hope the Nats get pushed into marginal territory in Oxley but I believe in human rights too.

Is this a typo for 'chai' or is a chia latte really a thing?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this point

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Murodese posted:

Is this a typo for 'chai' or is a chia latte really a thing?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised at this point

I was thinking the same thing, isn't chia just like moss poo poo you put on things to make it grow like a green fuzz? I remember chia pet's being some kind of lovely craze at the end of the 90's.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
Democracy sausages at Tighes Hill Public for any Newcastle lurkers

And espresso coffees wth

hawaiian_robot fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 28, 2015

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

CrazyTolradi posted:

I was thinking the same thing, isn't chia just like moss poo poo you put on things to make it grow like a green fuzz? I remember chia pet's being some kind of lovely craze at the end of the 90's.

They're some kind of seed similar to carroway that gets used as a protein-rich partial replacement for wheat in bread or something iono some hipster that eats quinoa can explain it better

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Murodese posted:

They're some kind of seed similar to carroway that gets used as a protein-rich partial replacement for wheat in bread or something iono some hipster that eats quinoa can explain it better

Got here as fast as I could.

People eat chia now, a very common dessert at all the most happening places is CHIA PUDDING amongst other things. It's kind of like gritty sago.

Also yeah chia seeds in everything.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
They probably still meant chai though.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I just followed the greens htv card in the Newtown electorate. No democracy sausage at Petersham tafe though. Boooooo.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Typo you drooling pedants.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Cartoon posted:

Typo you drooling pedants.

I honestly wouldn't put it past you.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Go NSW go, emulate your Queensland brethren!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
On the greatest day we will get in NSW this year to exercise our political freedoms, Auspol is debating whether a chia latté is a real thing. You can have a very trendy recipe for iskiate though, made famous by the book Born to Run

ISKIATE posted:

INGREDIENTS

4 cups water
2 limes, juice only
1/4 cup raw chia seeds
1/4 cup agave nectar, honey, or sugar

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Sausage status: democratic.

Also apparently some land tax people were promised payment, couldn't contact their office so hosed off.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
NSW election: full list of candidates signing St James Ethics Centre pledge

quote:

Listed by party, find every candidate for the New South Wales election on 28 March who has signed a pledge to abide by a moral code as an MP. A total of 215 candidates have committed to the pledge: 111 from Labor, 3 Liberals, 33 Greens, 19 Christian Democratic Party, 21 from the Australian Cyclists party, 2 from the No Land Tax party and 15 independents. This represents 23% of candidates in this election

The Politicians’ Pledge

In the pursuit of power, I will:
Act in good conscience;
Enable informed decision-making by my fellow citizens;
Respect the intrinsic dignity of all;
Refrain from exploiting my rivals’ private failings for political gain; and
Act so as to merit the trust and respect of the community.

In the exercise of power, I will:
Give effect to the ideals of democratic government and represent the interests of my electorate as a whole;
Abide by the letter and spirit of the Constitution and uphold the rule of law;
Advance the public interest before any personal, sectional or partisan interest;
Hold myself accountable for conduct for which I am responsible; and
Exercise the privileges and discharge the duties of public office with dignity, care and honour.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just taking a break atm, been HTVing since polls opened. Some CDP twat showed up, set up a card table and one sign, then vanished. How's that for effort?

edit: yes I voted before I started electioneering

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
what the actual gently caress
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbourne-priest-apologises-for-derogatory-comments-about-jill-meagher-20150327-1m9q0i.html

quote:

A Catholic Church official has apologised after a priest told parishioners that had murdered Melbourne woman Jill Meagher's faith been stronger, she would have been "home in bed" and not walking down a street on the night she was brutally raped and killed.

The controversial homily was reportedly delivered during an end-of-term service at St Christopher's Primary School in Airport West on Friday when the priest held up a newspaper article with an image of Ms Meagher's killer, Adrian Bayley.

Radio station 3AW reported that the priest made the comments to an audience of about 100 people, saying that if Ms Meagher had been "more faith-filled", she "would have been home in bed" and "not walking down Sydney Road at 3am".

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I just followed the greens htv card in the Newtown electorate. No democracy sausage at Petersham tafe though. Boooooo.

Stanmore public school had sausages but in rolls instead of white Coles bread. Was also the second thing on the menu so it was technically a failure.

Any syd goons going to the election after party in Broadway?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

No democracy sausage.

Was able to get a soy chia latte however.
I think you're in hell.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Petersham tafe is a hopeless. This morning they had a TV on in the voting room showing the news full of election stuff. They'd also set up so the security guard had to walk through the middle of the voting to get in and out of his office. Voting at taverners hill primary is much nicer and you can get a sausage, but they only do federal elections there.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Asphyxious posted:

Got here as fast as I could.

People eat chia now, a very common dessert at all the most happening places is CHIA PUDDING amongst other things. It's kind of like gritty sago.

Also yeah chia seeds in everything.

Does chia inflate the prices of the staple food of an impovrished ethnic group?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Plotterboy posted:

Nah, chia is super easy to grow. It's literally the seeds from those chia pets.

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Democracy sausage and democracy bacon and egg roll consumed, how to votes handed out, now to grab some sleep before election coverage and work.

Go Arthur Rorris in Wollongong and the Greens everywhere else.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Voted this morning in the lovely electorate of Penrith, at the local High School. Grabbed a greens HTV, probably 1 of 3 they hand out in the whole electorate :v:. Overheard the lovely comment 'Should place some pigs heads on stakes to keeps the muslims out' from a man with a Liberal HTV walking past the Christian Democrats. No sausage sizzle or cake stall either.
0/10 would not vote again.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is it legal to have poster boards saying that "You must number every box" outside of the polling booths?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Young Libs posted:

Shouting slogans at people that have already walked past us is a great way to get votes.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Land Tax girl was really nice to me in the line up to vote, no democracy sausage though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Democracy has been exersised and I had no money on me to buy a snag. Fuckin bullshit I tell ya.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-28/cabinet-committee-scrutinises-agriculture-white-paper/6355156

quote:

The Abbott Government's long-awaited agriculture white paper has become the latest target of Cabinet's powerful razor gang.

The Government said it wanted to release the white paper as soon as possible, but insisted it would take the time to get it right.

Originally expected to be released before Christmas, the Agricultural Competitiveness White Paper is now only "set for completion in 2015".

[...]
A senior Government figure familiar with the contents of the document said it contained "every crackpot idea" from the past 25 years.

Another well-placed Coalition source said it was "chock full of intriguing and expensive ideas".

Labor's spokesman Joel Fitzgibbon said agriculture was "spinning out of control under Barnaby Joyce".

"We've now been 18 months without an agriculture policy," he said.
Nationals voters are seriously the dumbest assholes.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

bowmore posted:

The Land Tax girl was really nice to me in the line up to vote, no democracy sausage though.

I would vote for a 'more land tax' party.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Laserface posted:

Democracy has been exersised and I had no money on me to buy a snag. Fuckin bullshit I tell ya.

Democracy sausage should have never been privatised, it is a common belonging to the people and now look at private industry trying to make a profit at the loss of the people. Government subsidise the democracy sausage, it should be free for all people (and have onions because a sausage without barbeque onions is just a meat tube.)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Good luck to all the goons working the booths out there today, and good luck to the goons up for election too.

We're all counting on you.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Handed out Greens HTVs from 8 to 1:30. Pretty boring stuff. The CDP had loving fetuses handing out HTVs (of the 4 people there, one was over 18, and two were under 10). The Libs had a bunch of unprincipled, uninformed barnacles who were just doing a favour for a mate wanting a suckhole job with Glenn Brookes. Labor were inoffensive. The No Land Tax guy was there because he was getting paid 30 bucks an hour, and was actually a swing voter who dabbled in the Greens for a bit.

The funny part is that he was never asked by the No Land Tax people for his TFN or bank details, and will likely not get paid for his day there. :lol:

East Hills is likely to swing back to Labor, and the response for us was really positive. Thumbs up, comrades.

Also I got a commemorative Glenn Brookes water bottle, replete with his reptile face. I'm keeping it if they decide to drag him over the coals for breaking the Electoral Act for electoral treating. But I suspect they won't bother, because Cameron Murphy will be too busy killing the Libs for calling him a rapist and a pedophile!

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."
Best of luck for today Greens Goons, volunteers and candidates both!

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

my stepdads beer posted:

I would vote for a 'more land tax' party.

lotta balmain folks not a fan of this

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Democracy sausage should have never been privatised, it is a common belonging to the people and now look at private industry trying to make a profit at the loss of the people. Government subsidise the democracy sausage, it should be free for all people (and have onions because a sausage without barbeque onions is just a meat tube.)
gently caress you.

Not content with ruining a perfectly good sausage by filling it with onion powder and garlic, you must now slather it in the wretched stuff. You are worse than people who think pineapple belongs on pizza.

ON TOPIC:

Gillian Triggs says Coalition chose to challenge Basikbasik report via media

quote:

Gillian Triggs, the president of the Australian Human Rights Commission, has said the government has rarely challenged her findings and recommendations, while facing heavy questioning from Coalition senators.

In estimates on Friday, Triggs was again grilled by senators over a recommendation she made that John Basikbasik receive $350,000 for the time he was held in detention without charge following the serving of a prison sentence for manslaughter.

Triggs has faced sustained attacks from the government – including Tony Abbott – in the lead-up to a damning report released by the commission on children in detention.

Triggs told the estimates committee: “My job as president is to make findings and recommendations, which are discussed with government and a report is finally made to parliament, along with scores of other such reports.

“The government has the option of appealing against my findings and recommendations and has chosen not to do so, and in fact very rarely does.”

“Normally it would be for members of parliament to read my reports, to question them if they chose to, and if appropriate, for the attorney to appeal against them.

“That has not been done and unfortunately the choice has been made to do so in the pages of a particular newspaper, where the facts and legal reasoning were grossly misstated.”

Basikbasik is a West Papuan activist who opposed the Indonesian occupation of his country. After being granted refugee status in Australia, he was charged in 2000 with the manslaughter of his partner.

He remained in Villawood detention centre after serving his full sentence, because he cannot be returned to Indonesia.

The Liberal senator Ian Macdonald repeatedly questioned Triggs on the case, and asked her to provide specific details on the length of time of the investigation. Triggs said it “would take months” but she did not believe it had taken years.

She told the committee that after serving his sentence he had now been held for “close to eight years without charge and without trial”.

“While the government of course has an executive power to detain someone … that executive power must be exercised in a way that is necessary and proportionate to achieve a legitimate aim,” she said.

“I think most fair-minded Australians would say that holding someone for eight years after he has served his prison sentence is something that does require at least the regular consideration of his case, and regular consideration of whether or not alternative forms of detention or supervision might be used.”

After the release of the children in detention report it was revealed that the government had sought Triggs’s resignation.

The shadow attorney general, Mark Dreyfus, wrote to the Australian federal police to ask them to examine whether the attorney general, George Brandis, had committed an offence by offering Triggs a job in exchange for her resignation.
The LNP playbook: Trial by media, because unlike reality, the press does not deal in facts but in right wing propaganda, and the only interest of the right when it comes to human rights these days is discrediting those who try to hold us to them.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Pickled Tink posted:

gently caress you.

Not content with ruining a perfectly good sausage by filling it with onion powder and garlic, you must now slather it in the wretched stuff. You are worse than people who think pineapple belongs on pizza.

ON TOPIC:

Gillian Triggs says Coalition chose to challenge Basikbasik report via media
The LNP playbook: Trial by media, because unlike reality, the press does not deal in facts but in right wing propaganda, and the only interest of the right when it comes to human rights these days is discrediting those who try to hold us to them.

Did you just literally compare pineapple on pizza to onions on a sausage sizzle? The gently caress is wrong with you?

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."

Pickled Tink posted:

What the gently caress is your damage.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Plotterboy posted:

You can buy Australian quinoa fyi

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Also shut the gently caress up about "democracy sausages" and food in general jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Also shut the gently caress up about "democracy sausages" and food in general jesus christ

No.

My place had no democracy sausage so went and had democracy pho brought to you by Malcolm Fraser.

• Locked thread