Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
The Andromeda Strain is a little-known gay scifi tour de force from the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

The Andromeda Strain is a little-known gay scifi tour de force from the 70s.

ding ding ding

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gay crackers from outer space

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

If it makes you feel any better, there was a dinosaur about the same size as the movie's velociraptor: the Utahraptor. They even tried to get it named after Spielberg, but couldn't get enough support.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

bobkatt013 posted:

Patrick Bateman would have purchased it since it costs money and one of his "friends" might have bought one.

This explains most irrationally irritating things about the character. In the book he has an existential crisis because he thinks a restaurant is poo poo and someone tells him Donald Trump's wife eats there.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Kuroyama posted:

If it makes you feel any better, there was a dinosaur about the same size as the movie's velociraptor: the Utahraptor. They even tried to get it named after Spielberg, but couldn't get enough support.

Yeah the Utahraptor was first discovered after the movie came out as well which was kind of funny.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Deinonychus just doesn't have the same ring to it

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Pretty sure that is a goose.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Vulpes posted:

Part goose, swan, and platypus. The swan's ugly, the goose can break your arm in a single wing swing, and the platypus injects you with poison.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vulpes posted:

The most dangerous dinosaur.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Around the time Crichton was writing Jurassic Park, some paleontologists supported lumping a number of dinosaur genera, and at least one book (Predatory Dinosaurs of the World) explicitly supported this view. It includes Deinonychus antirrhopus (closer in size to the raptors of Jurassic Park) in the genus Velociraptor, and Crichton probably got it from that book or similar source when researching Jurassic Park.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The velociraptors in the book are described as being pretty small. It was the movie that upscaled in size them because it made them work better as a movie monster and so they could fit a dude into the raptor costume.

Here's a video about the costume they used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAzQr3Ml0UI

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Deinonychus just doesn't have the same ring to it

You're the expert.

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008

Lagomorphic posted:

The velociraptors in the book are described as being pretty small. It was the movie that upscaled in size them because it made them work better as a movie monster and so they could fit a dude into the raptor costume.

Man, it makes me so sad to see the way that movies are going nowadays. The suit looks so much more organic than the later films, where CGI was poo poo out everywhere. Jurassic Park isn't the worst offender, Star Wars cough, but it does say something when the first one holds up much better than 3.

Speaking of the film, I would absolutely love to see that trash bag queen alien. That sounds hilarious/awesome.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

I love this video.
My dad is friends with someone at Stan Winston studios(Now Legacy Effects) and I got to go through their shop in Burbank and it was loving awesome.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rurea posted:

I love this video.
My dad is friends with someone at Stan Winston studios(Now Legacy Effects) and I got to go through their shop in Burbank and it was loving awesome.

It's so cool how they're testing out the raptor with Arnie and the T100, Predator and the penguins from Batman Returns in the background. :allears:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Trent posted:

They were introducing Velociraptors to the audience. Everyone knew what a T-Rex was, and a stegosaurus and a triceratops and a brontosaurus brachio- veggie-saurus were, but raptors were both new to most viewers and the big bads of the movie. It wasn't scientifically accurate, but it was good storytelling.

I feel like a lot of things in this thread can be explained by 'It was good storytelling'.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Toastymcfly posted:

Speaking of the film, I would absolutely love to see that trash bag queen alien. That sounds hilarious/awesome.

It was part of the special features on the Laserdisc I had back in college. That drat disc had so much extra material. Like, two or three drafts of the entire script, that sort of thing. Anyway, the trash bag alien queen was pretty neat...it was actually full-size & they had it out in a parking lot, making it move every which way. No audio, as I recall.

Lincoln has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Mar 27, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Toastymcfly posted:

Man, it makes me so sad to see the way that movies are going nowadays. The suit looks so much more organic than the later films, where CGI was poo poo out everywhere. Jurassic Park isn't the worst offender, Star Wars cough, but it does say something when the first one holds up much better than 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vtLK-DxdGc

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

You can tell they're professionals because they remembered to draw teeth on it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
God Sparticus drives me up the loving wall. My roommate is binge watching it. It's nothing but slow motion 300 hits, loving, and using modern curse words in some awkward English-Roman accent.

Seriously, every time I look up there's tits, slow mo blood, or some twisted face jackass telling someone to gently caress off or to get off his nuts or something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah it's loving awesome

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I haven't seen it but if it's really called Sparticus, that's where it annoys me tbh.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I haven't seen it but if it's really called Sparticus, that's where it annoys me tbh.

Sparticles.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Yeah it's loving awesome

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Frostwerks posted:

Sparticles.

Bloodsporticus.

Religious Man
Nov 28, 2010

Perfect God and Perfect Man
Spar tits cuss

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

once again the gods see fit to spread cheeks and ram cock in rear end

also there are some penises and removal of same

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I saw a clip of the show, and it bugged me. It was some sort of sword fight and one guy sliced upwards into another guy's face, and cut the front part of his head off.

Cool video effect, but it was ruined for me when the body fell to its knees and the brain slid out of the front hole. That's not how brains work. They are still connected to the spinal cord.

Anyway, that's my irrational irritation at that show.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

mng posted:

once again the gods see fit to spread cheeks and ram cock in rear end

This is exactly what I was trying to describe. The whole show's dialogue is terrible. Fix that, maybe not make every single contact point in battle so exaggerated, and we'll talk.

Remember, I don't have to be rational in this thread.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Rolo posted:

This is exactly what I was trying to describe. The whole show's dialogue is terrible. Fix that, maybe not make every single contact point in battle so exaggerated, and we'll talk.

Remember, I don't have to be rational in this thread.

Hehe, yeah I know. I thought it was cool to begin with, then it got a bit grating. Personally I think the combat and crazy blood effects are cool, though I did have to laugh at the brain plopping out of that guy's skull.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I saw a clip of the show, and it bugged me. It was some sort of sword fight and one guy sliced upwards into another guy's face, and cut the front part of his head off.

Cool video effect, but it was ruined for me when the body fell to its knees and the brain slid out of the front hole. That's not how brains work. They are still connected to the spinal cord.

Anyway, that's my irrational irritation at that show.

Are you thinking of Equilibrium, that final fight between Bale/Diggs?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching Game of Thrones.

How did Littlefinger not recognize Arya Stark when she was in the burned out castle and was serving as a cupbearer? I know she looks nothing like her sister but of all people Littlefinger should know. Along similar lines, other than the girls, do the younger Stark boys have any idea about the Red Wedding happening? I can't remember Bran talking about it at all but compared to other characters his is kinda forgettable.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

How did Littlefinger not recognize Arya Stark when she was in the burned out castle and was serving as a cupbearer? I know she looks nothing like her sister but of all people Littlefinger should know. Along similar lines, other than the girls, do the younger Stark boys have any idea about the Red Wedding happening? I can't remember Bran talking about it at all but compared to other characters his is kinda forgettable.

I'm pretty certain little finger does know it is arya. But calling her out would prove no advantage to him. He still wants to marry into nobility and has his sights on the other stark girl, but arya would work in a pinch. and I'm pretty sure planning on killing all the lannsters at some point and already has their trust from betraying Ned stark. So pointing out Arya would just get her killed.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

He did recognize her, he just didn't rat her out because he had the hots for her mom(and sister) and knew Tywin would find a particularly unpleasant way to kill her if he did.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Are you thinking of Equilibrium, that final fight between Bale/Diggs?

no in equilibrium digg's face just slides off, there's no brain action there

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Alouicious posted:

no in equilibrium digg's face just slides off, there's no brain action there

Give taye diggs a break, his acting wasn't that bad.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Jaramin posted:

He did recognize her, he just didn't rat her out because he had the hots for her mom(and sister) and knew Tywin would find a particularly unpleasant way to kill her if he did.

But if I remember right, weren't the Lannisters still trying to trade the girls for Jamie? Actually having them both meant they could do the trade.

Or was Littlefinger already working for the Tyrells at that point and pretty much gave no shits about the Lannisters having the girls?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jaramin posted:

There's no way in hell they would kill Arya, she had been missing in action for months at that point and would be a huge bargaining chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

But if I remember right, weren't the Lannisters still trying to trade the girls for Jamie? Actually having them both meant they could do the trade.

Or was Littlefinger already working for the Tyrells at that point and pretty much gave no shits about the Lannisters having the girls?

Dude it is Littlefinger. He is the reason everything went to poo poo. The entire civil war is his fault. He has been scheming from the start. He doesn't work for anyone. He is working to get everyone else killed and put himself in charge.