Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish there had been an extra episode. I was okay with Gainer's ending because it addressed everything it needed to. Reco's did too but in such an incredibly rushed fashion it left me wanting even another 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think even though G-Reco's pacing was often really bad, the ideas and the story itself were really good and shone through the flaws. Like the ending was kind of surprising and abrupt when I was watching it but it holds up and works well when I think over everything it shows. It's probably never going to be entirely clear how much of this show's pacing problems are the result of Tomino and how much of it was interference from other parties deciding how many episodes he could have and what he had to put in them, but this show is definitely the best Gundam for a long time just for being interesting and having a really clear intent behind it, instead of just mindlessly regurgitating 0079 and Zeta for cool robot fights and pathos. I hope the next Gundam anime isn't poo poo.

Does anyone know how well the show has done in terms of profits/viewership/etc? I hope it's been profitable enough to make Sunrise consider making more shorter, interesting Gundam series.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Blaze Dragon posted:

My only real complaint about the ending is how suddenly Mask goes from "KILL BELLRI" to happy with his girlfriend and apparently no rage. Would've been nice to have one last talk between Bellri and Luin to finally clear their differences. They still had one awesome as hell giant robot battle so I'm willing to overlook it.

Getting laid works wonders.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I think even though G-Reco's pacing was often really bad, the ideas and the story itself were really good and shone through the flaws. Like the ending was kind of surprising and abrupt when I was watching it but it holds up and works well when I think over everything it shows. It's probably never going to be entirely clear how much of this show's pacing problems are the result of Tomino and how much of it was interference from other parties deciding how many episodes he could have and what he had to put in them, but this show is definitely the best Gundam for a long time just for being interesting and having a really clear intent behind it, instead of just mindlessly regurgitating 0079 and Zeta for cool robot fights and pathos. I hope the next Gundam anime isn't poo poo.

Does anyone know how well the show has done in terms of profits/viewership/etc? I hope it's been profitable enough to make Sunrise consider making more shorter, interesting Gundam series.

Even if G-Reco made a billion dollars it wouldn't do that. G-Reco probably only got what it got off the pedigree of Tomino being involved and I doubt we'll see another Tomino Gundam.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Better than expected, not the runaway hit of the season, which is Shirobako.

Gundam shows tend to have lower viewership numbers and this one airing at 2 in the morning didn't help matters much at all, it still pulled higher numbers than BFT though. BD sales are about 8000 per volume rounded up or down, the new releases tend to top Oricon for the first few days they're out and drop afterwards.

Entirely anecdotal but a huge portion of the viewership is women, especially the twitter base that actively talks about the show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Actually weird, the 1st volume did 7k and the 2nd did 11.

Why would you buy the 2nd without the first?

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Actually weird, the 1st volume did 7k and the 2nd did 11.

Why would you buy the 2nd without the first?

Does that factor in the Amazon exclusive set for Volume 1? Because that could account for the difference.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Oh G-Reco, you went out like you lived, with a bunch of flashy battles where the Mary G-self made up a few new abilities on the spot and absolutely nothing was resolved in any satisfactory way.

Thanks for all the entertainment over the last twenty five weeks thread, I won't be stopping in again because that ending was just too meh for me to even care enough to argue about it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

:stare: do not piss off Klim Nick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argas posted:

:stare: do not piss off Klim Nick.

Alternately do piss off Klim Nick because he's hilarious. :allears:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caros posted:

Oh G-Reco, you went out like you lived, with a bunch of flashy battles where the Mary G-self made up a few new abilities on the spot and absolutely nothing was resolved in any satisfactory way.

Thanks for all the entertainment over the last twenty five weeks thread, I won't be stopping in again because that ending was just too meh for me to even care enough to argue about it.

lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The "puppetmaster leaving the thread" post.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

The "puppetmaster leaving the thread" post.

He's mad they didn't kill the brown lady like he wanted.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
G Reco started confusing and fast-paced, doubled down on the former as things progressed, added new factions at a pace only marginally slower than the pace of new mobile suits (which was only marginally slower than the pace of introducing new characters), and ended the same way it began. The show seems thematically complete but not really complete in any other way. Aida had a satisfying character arc, but she was pretty much the only one (other than the dead).

It was overall fun to watch.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

G Reco started confusing and fast-paced, doubled down on the former as things progressed, added new factions at a pace only marginally slower than the pace of new mobile suits (which was only marginally slower than the pace of introducing new characters), and ended the same way it began. The show seems thematically complete but not really complete in any other way. Aida had a satisfying character arc, but she was pretty much the only one (other than the dead).

It was overall fun to watch.

I concur, really fun but flawed is how I'd describe it to people.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That was an okay ending but definitely could have done with like another episode at least to flesh things out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

That was an okay ending but definitely could have done with like another episode at least to flesh things out.

Right. they could at least shown us a few more stops on Aida's grand tour of diplomatic negotiations via high-velocity spaceship impact. :unsmigghh:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sharkopath posted:

He's mad they didn't kill the brown lady like he wanted.

Is that who you've been referring to the last couple of pages while saying all the people who wanted a killing spree ending would be disappointed? Christ, I've spent the last few days wondering about that whenever I read this thread, because I honestly couldn't think of a single person who'd expressed a desire for such in the thread for you to be railing against.

So...did Cumpa die? I assume he did. His role in the story just kind of fizzled out in the end, so I suppose a slightly funny, anti-climactic but kind of ambiguous death like that fits the bill. And the nuclear bomb in the G-self thing went nowhere as well. What was the point of including it at all? I suppose there might have been meddling from above, but the show never seemed like it was going for a particularly unhappy ending or that it's gone through much in the way of meddling, at least from a viewer perspective, so it just looks like another thing Tomino forgot or got bored off.

Fun, if somewhat underwhelming ending to a show that was much the same the whole way through. I don't regret watching it, and there were some great moments in the show, but I don't think I'll be racing to recommend it to anyone or re-watch it either at the same time. I'm also gonna disagree and say that I think 00 was a better show from the last decade, along with Build Fighters. I'm not including Try, for the same reason I wouldn't be including Z or ZZ if I was talking about 0079. 00 didn't have nearly as fun a cast, but I think it was more interesting, coherent and better put together overall. The second season drags things down, but the first is good enough that it comes out better to me on balance.

Still, some great little touches in the last episode. Cumpa smacking his head on the cockpit of the glider got a good laugh out of me, especially when Bell's mom caught him in the chin a few seconds later. Mick Jack still fiddling with the control boards in her new unit even in the finale was nice too. Also looking forward to seeing some art of the Dahack and all the other units introduced in the final episodes. There's some really neat looking designs there, but it was hard to get a good sense of them during the fights since things were moving so quick.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

A whole bunch of people wanted it to end bloodily, or even straight out moonlight butterfly society collapses millions die.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

everythingWasBees posted:

A whole bunch of people wanted it to end bloodily, or even straight out moonlight butterfly society collapses millions die.

I meant this thread specifically, since I'm aware there are some folks on /m/ that thought it likely or said they wanted it to happen. I don't know how many of those were facetious, 4chan being what it is and all though - especially the Moonlight Butterfly ones, which I assume were almost all, if not entirely all joke posts. I certainly wouldn't be giving a lot of stock to those posts. I just found it weird how much joy Sharkopath was taking in decrying it given there didn't seem to be anyone in thread that was of that opinion. I figured it might happen for a time myself, based on some recently translated Turn-A artbook stuff from shortly after that show aired that talked about very similar events that ended with the fall of an orbital elevator. The closer things got to the end though, the more unlikely that seemed and I certainly never wanted it to happen, or even posted about it beyond to say that it was possible given that information. Just Shark's quirky posting style I suppose.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

To be honest, it would have been quite narratively satisfying simply because the show had given us little reason to hope. There were few meaningful triumphs for human decency and the righteousness of our heroes' cause like, say, Dakar Day in Zeta, just a bunch of cocky idiots behaving ever-more recklessly and making the situation worse and worse. It's why I hesitate to call this Gundam's happiest ending - yes, most of the main cast came out of it OK, but it felt like the structural issues had not and could not be addressed, and it was only a matter of time before another, more devastating flareup happened. I mean, poo poo, the show ended with the mostly-unarmed symbol of cooperation between Earth and space starting its peace and goodwill tour across the solar system by killing a chief of state by loving crushing the political rally he was holding in the middle of a city.

None of the above is a criticism, mind you - it just doesn't seem that Tomino has lost his old cynicism as much as some suggest.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
OK now that it's done I might as well say my piece.

For clarification, I'm arguably more of a peripheral Gundam fan than anything. I saw snatches of the original show and Gundam Wing as a kid, watched both seasons of 00 after they'd aired, both of GBF too, and all of the Unicorn OVAs. So this was my first Tomino show, really, and uh, I'm not sure I'm a fan...

I mean, I enjoyed G-Reco as much as a some others here, but it was just too weird and disjointed for me to actually call it "good." Or rather, it had a lot of good aspects to it that never really came together. To talk positive first: a lot of the robits looked cool and took MS designs in a unique direction, the overarching plot was interesting, and it's got some of the best incidental character animation I've seen. But the actual story was just real off-putting. Things just happened and people just did things with little logical impetus and by the end of it I'd shut my brain off and watched them do fun/stupid stuff. While Klim Nick should be elected God King, he (and by pure association, Mick Jack) was the only character I gave a drat about. Like, if asked to pin down Bellri and his motivations I'd just shrug and mutter something about "peace?" and while I thought Luin was kind of a jobbing goon he was right about one thing; Bellri never earned. Finally, while I read some praise for the battle choreography, I just don't see it. Apart from the duel with Kia and maybe one or two of the Bell VS Mask fights, everything just blurred together into more and more varied (cloaks! trees! centipedes!) types of beam spams.

Again, I had a lot of fun with the series despite all my bitching, but there you go. :shrug:

Def buying some of that plastic tho, so I guess Bandai wins anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

I just don't see it. Apart from the duel with Kia and maybe one or two of the Bell VS Mask fights, everything just blurred together into more and more varied (cloaks! trees! centipedes!) types of beam spams.

G-Reco has a lot of really distinctive and interesting robot animation, with a lot of effort put into both animating them in distinctive ways and giving them unique choreography. They're pretty much the exact opposite of beam spam, unless you're using it in a different way from the norm. Almost every fight tries to do something distinctive with the environment or the unit's weapons or the way the units interact together. Stuff like the Mack Knife or Dehack stands out really distinctively from the boatloads of generic Gundams in recent shows.

Even the G-Self is a fairly distinct unit despite being the modern backpack idea. Every G-Self backpack has a distinct use and animation style and while most of them are only briefly utilized they're used in distinctive ways. The Assault Pack is a great example here. It's the 'big heavy gun backpack' but they keep using it differently. Bellri pushes it around and uses it as a weapon when in the Perfect Pack. They have a long-range out-of-line-of-sight battle with it prior to that. It only gets used a handful of times but each time it is used tries to make it something besides a GP-03/Meteor/GN-ARMS thing.

A lot of the criticism of G-Reco is pretty well founded but it has mechanical design and choreography head and shoulders above pretty much every recent Gundam show on a fairly consistent basis. Some of the combat choreography is a little weak but Gundam of recent years has had some remarkably poo poo combat choreography between SEED, 00 and AGE so I'll take "a little weak' over the shitfest that was most of AGE's combat sequences for example. (All of the shows I mentioned do have some strong moments so I'm not speaking universally.)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I pointed out the shot of the Kabakali jumping all over the caves of Jaburo but in that same scene you also have really cool cuts of it firing wildly into separate caves that glow with the light and shifting its aim point around to track the g-self. The absolute weakest shot of the finale was definitely the original clash between the gastima and dahack, but again, as part of the same sequence you had Chickara's death which was animated with a lot of energy.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

After the final episode I feel like I've constantly been in a drunken stupor even though I've always focused watching the episodes. I haven't seen a show in my life which experienced so bad effects due to bad pacing. A lot of the character actions still don't make any reasonable sense. No one felt like a human

It was fairly well crafted show regardless and delivered entertainment. Character motivations and pacing were so off though that it felt absolutely ridiculous. Real ADHD material.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If any other aussies been waiting for AnimeLab to fix their simulcast of the final episode like I have (it cut off at 16:41 for some reason), they've gotten it fixed.

edit: Holy poo poo, did not expect Cumpa to get wiped out that casually :munch:

Wow you do not gently caress with Klim Nick

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 28, 2015

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I enjoyed the show, but I'd have a hard time recommending it to someone.

It had a lot of great elements (mechs, characters, etc.), but they didn't come together too well. The big picture was odd and hard to understand. I probably would have been pretty lost if I wasn't following along with this thread. I don't even know what people were fighting about in this episode, or why they stopped.

That said, I enjoyed watching it. So good job Tomino I guess.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I enjoyed the show, but I'd have a hard time recommending it to someone.

It had a lot of great elements (mechs, characters, etc.), but they didn't come together too well. The big picture was odd and hard to understand. I probably would have been pretty lost if I wasn't following along with this thread. I don't even know what people were fighting about in this episode, or why they stopped.

That said, I enjoyed watching it. So good job Tomino I guess.

It was the Capital Army and their handful of ships fighting against an Amerian invasion force trying to occupy their territory, while in the background the pilots who fell to earth from last episode continued to have a big free for all.

People stopped fighting because a lot of them were dead and most of the ships were downed.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well that sure was an ending.

Once someone explained the core concepts of the show to me I could follow what was going on thematically easily enough, but the show itself never rose above "a series of things that happen" for me. I never really cared about any of the characters beyond laughing at some of the funnier ones, there were some nice fights but nothing really stuck in my mind beyond that one fight in the water, I appreciated how unique the designs were but didn't really like anything beyond the G Self Perfect Pack, and I don't remember a single song from the soundtrack besides the main theme. Honestly, the main thing I'm going to remember about this show is Sharkopath's quadruple posts in this thread.

It was an okay way to spend half an hour every Thursday I guess. Definitely better than Try, but worse than Build Fighters. Maybe if it had, like, a couple more episodes it could have been great but as is it's just a thing.

Mordja posted:

Like, if asked to pin down Bellri and his motivations I'd just shrug and mutter something about "peace?"

I think that's the point? He didn't really have a motivation, so he just followed what Aida wanted, first out of love and then because he believed in her. Once everything was all wrapped up he decided to do his own thing for once, and ditched everyone to go travel the world.

I see it as a fairly natural result of G Reco's little solar system tour. Now that Bellri has started to grasp of how much there is in the world, he wants to see it all.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 28, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BlitzBlast posted:

I think that's the point? He didn't really have a motivation, so he just followed what Aida wanted, first out of love and then because he believed in her.

The downside of that I suppose is that Aida just wasn't that strong or interesting a leader. At least, not to some viewers, and apparently not to Tomino himself. I certainly wouldn't be putting her on Kihel or Dianna's level for instance, both of whom felt like they had more going on as well as being more involved in the non-fight side of events. I suppose it's partly down to the pacing and episode order, as well as down to Tomino's loss of interest in her as a character - but she barely seemed to feature a lot of the time outside of fights, at least to my recollection. For a story about the birth of a queen, the actual genesis and birth of the queen seemed to just get lost in the shuffle. She wasn't even particularly prominent in the ending - Klim got more focus than her in it.

I know she had story with La Gu and all, but I can barely recall her doing anything else besides fight badly for much of the show. Kihel and Dianna had some of the best parts of Turn-A on the other hand, and the closest they got to action was Dianna threatening Corin, in his mobile suit no less, with a rifle. I really feel like she should have given up mobile suit fighting almost, if not entirely part way through the show to focus on the larger issues, both because she wasn't very good at it and barely contributed to fights and because it would have allowed her to stand out from the swath of other pilots in the show by doing something different to them. Raraiya could have gotten the G-Arcane instead of the G-Lucifer. Even toy-wise it wouldn't make much difference since the Trinity that Mick Jack got and the G-Lucifer share quite a similar aesthetic and the Trinity didn't actually see much action. Just have Mick get the G-Lucifer instead. Or Noredo.

Speaking of, why did she even become a (secondary) pilot? She didn't really do anything? Why was Ringo a recurring member? The Megafauna already had some grunt pilots who did a good job as background members, confined to having the occasional bit of fun in episodes and fights, and seem to have disappeared, at least from my memory, when you add in Noredo and Ringo.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Great ending, could have used another 10-15 min for wrap up though (or a separate episode after the fighting here).

Just wondering, but what about :

Violet haired Venus-girl baby? Where did that come from? Obviously time-skip, but I must have missed something
Banana Pear seemingly ejected in her last fight and then... nothing?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tsob posted:

And the nuclear bomb in the G-self thing went nowhere as well. What was the point of including it at all?

Th G-Self has an insane amount of destructive potential that Bellri reined in. It's like the Photon Torpedoes. He used them once on a low power level, saw how horrifying they were, and never used them again.

The G-Self could've destroyed loving everything, but Bellri always managed that power and never let it get out of control.

Pimpmust posted:

Violet haired Venus-girl baby? Where did that come from? Obviously time-skip, but I must have missed something

It was probably Kia Mbeki's.

Pimpmust posted:

Banana Pear seemingly ejected in her last fight and then... nothing?

She was caught by the explosion and died.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 28, 2015

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Well, that was an end I guess. Cool mobile suits, decent action scenes and a very interesting setting & premise. I'm glad I got to watch Tomino's likely final work as it aired. Klim Nick & Mick Jack were fun to watch and Mask & Manny were the most fleshed out and relatable human beings in the cast, but Bellri & Aida were just there. I wish we had gotten one last episode to see the peace talks that followed if only so Aida would get a legitimate moment of badassery and let everyone else's character arcs have some closure.

Ah well, it'll make great SRW fodder at least. G-Reco is an interesting and entertaining show but not a good one, which is a shame.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

boom boom boom posted:

Th G-Self has an insane amount of destructive potential that Bellri reined in. It's like the Photon Torpedoes. He used them once on a low power level, saw how horrifying they were, and never used them again.

The G-Self could've destroyed loving everything, but Bellri always managed that power and never let it get out of control.

Ignoring that the G-Self was extremely destructive regardless of the nuclear bomb, I doubt this was supposed to be the case simply because it never came up again. If the show had orchestrated a situation where people were urging Bellri to use it as the simplest solution to a problem, or it had activated on it's own for some reason and he had found another solution besides blowing up the nuke then I could totally see that being what the point of the nuclear bomb was. It was mentioned once and just forgotten though so I see no reason to assume that was the point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Ignoring that the G-Self was extremely destructive regardless of the nuclear bomb, I doubt this was supposed to be the case simply because it never came up again. If the show had orchestrated a situation where people were urging Bellri to use it as the simplest solution to a problem, or it had activated on it's own for some reason and he had found another solution besides blowing up the nuke then I could totally see that being what the point of the nuclear bomb was. It was mentioned once and just forgotten though so I see no reason to assume that was the point.

The nuclear bomb has two points:

A) It does make the G-Self more destructive.
B) It emphasizes that the Rayhuntons did not just sent the G-Self to Earth to find Bellri and Aida, they sent it there as a powerful and destructive weapon and a potentially indiscrimenent one. Cumpa only pulled it out because the Rayhunton guy was bitching at him about what he did on Earth, it wasn't brought up offhand.

It was never intended to be a Chekov's Bomb and it was never even foreshadowed as one. It was there to give us a bit more of Cumpa's personality and emphasize that the Rayhuntons were not treating the G-Self like a magical wonder machine, they were treating it like a goddamn serious weapon of war.

"It was mentioned once" is a weird argument when it comes to G-Reco because G-Reco mentions so much stuff once. It doesn't labor over points and just brings them up and assumes the audience remembers them unless they become important again. So much of the world and setting and characterization is brought up once and you're assumed to have gotten it. It's very arguably bad writing (reminding the audience, especially in a weekly show, is important) but it is consistently what the show does.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 28, 2015

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
It could also just be Cumpa's way of mocking Lorucca for creating something so loaded up with taboo technology and sending it down to Earth. Now, we know that nuclear weapons are very taboo subjects in Japan, and naturally, nuclear bombs and such would be incredibly high up there on the Ag-Tech taboo ban list. It's just Tomino's way of comparing the G-Self's potential as a destructive weapon to a nuclear bomb, I think. Once people see what it can do, everyone is racing to get it for themselves in order to gain an advantage over their rivals, leading to further escalation of conflict.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Someone on 4chan made an excellent point about Mask and Bellri's relationship

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Did they ever explain why the Crescent Ship gained that power boost upon acceptance of the Rayhunton code?

I was pretty intrigued about the mysteries behind the G-Self and other Rayhunton activated devices but it seems like that went nowhere. Am I right in thinking the G-Self itself isn't anything that special aside from the DNA keycoding? I thought it had some weird Rayhunton tech in it similar to the Crescent Ship but it seems like most of its god tier power in the last episodes came from the backpack. Doesn't this mean anyone with the Hermes blueprints could make a bunch of similar backpacks, slap them on some grunts with a shitton of batteries strapped to them, and and photon torpedo the hell out of everything?

Doesn't seem like Ameria or the Capitol Tower are likely to do that at this point but who knows what the leadership in Gondowan is like, presumably they're as war hungry as the Amerian leadership used to be. Who needs moonlight butterfly when you have massed produced perfect backpacks.

Speaking of moonlight butterfly, I like how the backpack had a function to detect photon batteries/advanced technology via a mysterious cloud of particles :tinfoil:

Edit: Now that I think about it Bellri's entire idea that he could stop the fighting if he just destroyed all the advanced tech is pretty chilling in terms of the moonlight butterfly.

Edit 2: Since this is a fun line of thought: So currently we have a bunch of the ingredients for the moonlight butterfly scenario, including a pilot who has seen and been horrified by what technology can do who already has the idea planted in his head that destroying the technology to fight can end the fighting (who is on a world tour, making him the perfect witness to more horrors if the fighting continues), a potentially powderkeg scenario of all this rediscovered tech suddenly made available to everyone and rapid uncontrolled advancements being made, plus a program that can basically detect technology or energy sources or whatever in possibly nanomachine format. There's probably not enough energy for a single mobile suit to do something on the scale of the moonlight butterfly due to the limitations of photon power or even minovsky power, which the last episodes make a big point of . . . then comes the Turn X from deep space with a reactor powerful enough to let it travel between solar systems, mirroring how in Turn A the X had the power to unleash the moonlight butterfly but not the program or nanomachines to do so (this could explain why--it originally didn't have them). The Turn A gets built, Bellri is put in the pilot seat, and the rest is dark history.

I would think this was stretching it, but considering how carefully and deliberately G-Reco was written and how much it has left up to the viewer to figure out through its whole run, I'm not so sure. I feel like there must have been some greater reason behind showing how horrified Bellri was of the tech at his command, plus some reason they did that whole black cloud scan for technology even though nothing ultimately came out of it. While I doubt they'd actually animate any of this happening, it kind of feels like a wink wink nod to older gundam fans, much along the same lines of the Jaburo cameo.

Xy Hapu fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 29, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Once someone explained the core concepts of the show to me I could follow what was going on thematically easily enough, but the show itself never rose above "a series of things that happen" for me.

Yeah, this is the case for me. It wasn't terrible, just not very good. Definitely one of those "watch it for the designs/animations" shows rather than something I'd actually advice people to watch (unlike e.g. Turn-A).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Xy Hapu posted:

Did they ever explain why the Crescent Ship gained that power boost upon acceptance of the Rayhunton code?

I was pretty intrigued about the mysteries behind the G-Self and other Rayhunton activated devices but it seems like that went nowhere. Am I right in thinking the G-Self itself isn't anything that special aside from the DNA keycoding? I thought it had some weird Rayhunton tech in it similar to the Crescent Ship but it seems like most of its god tier power in the last episodes came from the backpack. Doesn't this mean anyone with the Hermes blueprints could make a bunch of similar backpacks, slap them on some grunts with a shitton of batteries strapped to them, and and photon torpedo the hell out of everything?

Doesn't seem like Ameria or the Capitol Tower are likely to do that at this point but who knows what the leadership in Gondowan is like, presumably they're as war hungry as the Amerian leadership used to be. Who needs moonlight butterfly when you have massed produced perfect backpacks.

Speaking of moonlight butterfly, I like how the backpack had a function to detect photon batteries/advanced technology via a mysterious cloud of particles :tinfoil:

Edit: Now that I think about it Bellri's entire idea that he could stop the fighting if he just destroyed all the advanced tech is pretty chilling in terms of the moonlight butterfly.

Edit 2: Since this is a fun line of thought: So currently we have a bunch of the ingredients for the moonlight butterfly scenario, including a pilot who has seen and been horrified by what technology can do who already has the idea planted in his head that destroying the technology to fight can end the fighting (who is on a world tour, making him the perfect witness to more horrors if the fighting continues), a potentially powderkeg scenario of all this rediscovered tech suddenly made available to everyone and rapid uncontrolled advancements being made, plus a program that can basically detect technology or energy sources or whatever in possibly nanomachine format. There's probably not enough energy for a single mobile suit to do something on the scale of the moonlight butterfly due to the limitations of photon power or even minovsky power, which the last episodes make a big point of . . . then comes the Turn X from deep space with a reactor powerful enough to let it travel between solar systems, mirroring how in Turn A the X had the power to unleash the moonlight butterfly but not the program or nanomachines to do so (this could explain why--it originally didn't have them). The Turn A gets built, Bellri is put in the pilot seat, and the rest is dark history.

I would think this was stretching it, but considering how carefully and deliberately G-Reco was written and how much it has left up to the viewer to figure out through its whole run, I'm not so sure. I feel like there must have been some greater reason behind showing how horrified Bellri was of the tech at his command, plus some reason they did that whole black cloud scan for technology even though nothing ultimately came out of it. While I doubt they'd actually animate any of this happening, it kind of feels like a wink wink nod to older gundam fans, much along the same lines of the Jaburo cameo.

The G-Self can coax a lot more power out of photon batteries than other suits, essentially. That's its big technological advantage, and why it can do flashy particle poo poo even without the backpack, because it's built to put out a lot more power and glowy photon particle poo poo than other suits, and control that power to boost its performance and shoot confusing glowy poo poo at people and generate shields. In the same way, it boosted the power output of the crescent ship. The ending is very condensed and kinda relies on you to piece together what's going to happen in the future based on everything the show has told you about the setting, but the implication is that the energy distribution talks are going to/are going well in part because La-Gu mentions that their original plan to make enough batteries to end energy scarcity can be sped up with the technology from the G-Self, and energy shortages in Ameria and Gondowan were a big factor in starting the conflict in the first place.

The show also repeatedly shows us people getting caught up in the heat of conflict and then being horrified at what they were doing afterward, so my read at least on the ending is that it's a similar thing and there isn't a "powder keg scenario" or any fighting after the last episode. As soon as the Venus Globe tech shows up, everything goes completely out of control and we get a firsthand look at the kind of technology that almost destroyed humanity and forced the show's weird pacifist religion/energy superpower/secret space colonies situation to be established. G-Reco is about people's ignorance of war leading them to start conflicts, and the ending is very optimistic as it is saying that now people have seen just how bad things can get, they'll lose the desire to continue and accept the alternative. Bellri talks down the Venus Globe lady. Luin crashes his robot, totally spent. The Amerians lost their military commander and the Dorette Fleet is essentially out of the picture at this point, and Cumpa gets thrown down a hole and blown up by a plane. Klim called it a day because he knew if they carried on his girlfriend will probably die - he's finally started to realise that war has consequences and isn't just him doing cool robot fights all the way to the future White House. Tomino has always framed war as something caused by individuals and ideologies, and by the end of the story the characters that the show was holding up as the people pushing the conflict forward are all dead or unwilling to fight anymore, and the false perception/ideology of war as something glorious has been completely shattered.

• Locked thread