Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Why the hell would you auto-resolve battles in FOTS? They might just be the best part of it. Other TWs, sure, but what games do you can to take a single boat out and direct fire an entire flotilla into exploding wrecks?

Rush for foreign ships and just have an invincible death mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Sydin posted:

You basically never want to auto-resolve naval in FOTS, for the reasons you've stated. To lessen the tedium, just beeline to advanced armor piercing shells ASAP, since they have a huge range, great accuracy, and a solid chance of just sending whatever it hits up in flames.

As for affording the navies: foreign trade port. Seriously, that's about all you need. Beyond that, just make sure you're upgrading your trade goods (tea plantations/gold/etc) and plopping down economic buildings in any province not producing units.

Yeah, I guess in addition to having all the other imperial factions DOW me, that means I lost all my domestic trade. I only made it to about turn 30, but I guess if I beeline to foreign trade I should be able to make it there. I think I got blocked on development level in this last game, something that has never happened to me before.

The thing is the Naval battles are kinda fun once or twice, but they take for drat ever to close the starting distance, and the load time (even on an SSD) is still quite high.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Basically the two techs you want to beeline for are Foreign Affairs on the econ side, and Imported Guns on the military side. The first will give you access to foreign trade ports (build a trade port, wait for an offer from the Brits/Americans/French) and the second will give you Parrot and Armstrong cannons. The foreign trade will give you a good economic baseline to start modernizing with, while the cannons will help you start steamrolling in land combat. Once you have the foreign trade port, you can also pick up a foreign ironclad (at a hefty price, granted) that is essentially invincible until late game when the AI has to iron-plated ships with AP rounds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Alright, I've taken the advice from here and started a Choshu campaign. I blitzed towards Foreign affairs and I currently have a US trade quarter at Nagano, so hurrah for the Marines. My Daimyo is my main assault general, so he's vassaling a ton of places and generally being awesome and loyalty inspiring. I'm up to armor piercing shells for boats and have just started working on copper plating to iron so I can get an ironclad. Northern Kyushu is mine, with the Satsuma being my allies. Since I know these buggers are going to turn on me eventually, I'm focusing my military efforts northeastwards while building up a defense to hold back any armies they might throw my way. The Tosa are crippled from constant bombardment.

My plan is to keep building up until the Satsuma betray me, and once I weather their initial armies, sweep back in and push them down to the south.

A question about railroads, though. Do I need a railway station in each province for it to work? I'm building my first one in Suo, but would I need to capture another railway or build another one to link them? Also, how many artillery pieces should I be carrying around? I'm usually using 2-3 Parrot guns until I can build Armstrongs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arcsquad12 posted:

A question about railroads, though. Do I need a railway station in each province for it to work? I'm building my first one in Suo, but would I need to capture another railway or build another one to link them? Also, how many artillery pieces should I be carrying around? I'm usually using 2-3 Parrot guns until I can build Armstrongs.

You not only need to own any railroad station your army is passing through, you need to own any province the rail line passes through that you're sending your troops across. So for example if provinces A, B, and C are in a row, and there are stations in provinces A and C, you have to own both those stations, and then you have to either also own province B (since the line passes through it) or have a military access agreement with whoever owns it.

As for artillery, I generally have ~3-4. Sometimes more (6 armstrongs are a thing) but normally 3 is my bottommost limit.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gamerofthegame posted:

Why the hell would you auto-resolve battles in FOTS?

Because playing whack-a-mole with the tiny, poo poo navies the AI keeps sending to harass you is tedious as gently caress?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least naval combat in FOTS isn't completely painful like Shogun 2 where a couple bow Kobayas can destroy anything with fire arrows. The naval combat in Empire and Napoleon was fine apart from the wind mechanic loving you over every chance it got. Making all the boats steampowered fixed that right and small ships still have a fighting chance, unlike a Brig facing down a Heavy First Rate.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least naval combat in FOTS isn't completely painful like Shogun 2 where a couple bow Kobayas can destroy anything with fire arrows. The naval combat in Empire and Napoleon was fine apart from the wind mechanic loving you over every chance it got. Making all the boats steampowered fixed that right and small ships still have a fighting chance, unlike a Brig facing down a Heavy First Rate.

It's such a shame, because there have been a handful of games that have the wind/sails mechanic down on huge warships and it's super fun (Commander: Conquest of the Americas comes to mind)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sydin posted:

You not only need to own any railroad station your army is passing through, you need to own any province the rail line passes through that you're sending your troops across. So for example if provinces A, B, and C are in a row, and there are stations in provinces A and C, you have to own both those stations, and then you have to either also own province B (since the line passes through it) or have a military access agreement with whoever owns it.

As for artillery, I generally have ~3-4. Sometimes more (6 armstrongs are a thing) but normally 3 is my bottommost limit.

In my experience, military access treaties for railroad use are worthless because the AI doesn't build railroads. Has the AI changed significantly since... uhh, two years or so after release?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

canyoneer posted:

It's such a shame, because there have been a handful of games that have the wind/sails mechanic down on huge warships and it's super fun (Commander: Conquest of the Americas comes to mind)

I like to dream when they roll around to the 17th to 19th century era they finally get modern naval warfare right.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

In my experience, military access treaties for railroad use are worthless because the AI doesn't build railroads. Has the AI changed significantly since... uhh, two years or so after release?

Nope, but like he was saying: Sometimes railroads pass through regions that don't actually have stations, and you still need to have military access to those regions for that railroad segment to work.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They tend to build them in my experience. They don't rush to them, but usually when I start building them someone else will do it too not long after. Then again I don't really rush to them either.

It has a lot of quirks but FotS is easily my favourite TW game. I really wish they'd given it some actual post-release support. :sigh: they didn't even fix the invincible-cannons thing.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I didn't like the naval combat in FotS at all, until I teched up to ironclads. The AI will often just park their rear end at the farthest section of the map, and it's a huge pain to sail over, change course at exactly the right moment, and shoot them, turn after turn after turn.

Another funny feature is how vassal clans don't switch to your allegiance after realm divide. Instead, they betray you as soon as possible. It's a good way to generate chaff armies to obliterate.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Koramei posted:

They tend to build them in my experience. They don't rush to them, but usually when I start building them someone else will do it too not long after. Then again I don't really rush to them either.

It has a lot of quirks but FotS is easily my favourite TW game. I really wish they'd given it some actual post-release support. :sigh: they didn't even fix the invincible-cannons thing.

You'll get one or two factions building a railroad in some random region, but I've never seen my allies build a railroad the stretches more than two stations in a row, making it useless.

The railroad ends up being useful if you make conquering all the railroad provinces your specific goal, but you have to gently caress over your allies to do that.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I, for one, recommend going for railways at the expense of dumb AI buddies, especially if you want a republic victory.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah, for one thing having cool little trains going back and forth on the map is totally sweet. Completely worth it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

In NTW, is Napoleon himself unkillable? I'm playing as Austria, which means I'm literally the only Coalition member that shares a direct border with France. Britain spends all of its time rearranging its troops in London, Russia sends out a regiment every now and then that dicks around in Bavaria doing nothing, and Prussia won't declare war on France no matter how much I beg and plead.

Really, nothing would satisfy me more than watching that puny Corsican's head get blown off by a cannonball.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

In NTW, is Napoleon himself unkillable? I'm playing as Austria, which means I'm literally the only Coalition member that shares a direct border with France. Britain spends all of its time rearranging its troops in London, Russia sends out a regiment every now and then that dicks around in Bavaria doing nothing, and Prussia won't declare war on France no matter how much I beg and plead.

Really, nothing would satisfy me more than watching that puny Corsican's head get blown off by a cannonball.

Pretty sure he's unkillable, since he's also France's head of state. Hope you enjoy having objectively worse everything than France! Even your cavalry bonus can't make up for your lack of special units.

You can still functionally kill him on the battlefield, but he'll always return.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

Sounds exactly like it was in 1805-1808. God I love that game.

But yeah, Napoleon can't die. If he does the whole universe ceases to exist.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sounds exactly like it was in 1805-1808. God I love that game.

Austria has always been the true hero of Europe.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Not sure about that. If we ever get Empire 2 I'm coming for you, Franz Josef you beardy gently caress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I wish they'd do for future Total War games is bring back the uniform upgrades like Medieval 2 had. It would be sweet going from the tricorn hats of the Revolutionary War to the tall hats of Napoleonic Wars.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It would be even more awesome if you could have some choice on what colour and style of uniform your guys can wear as well.

I still remember the in retrospect hilarious over the top promise of a uniform editor from CA for NTW. Good times.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Are you sure you're not thinking of Shogun? I think the multi had some kind of editor. I think.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nope. They vaguely promised some sort of troop uniform editor or faction army appearince editing function with Napoleon. I remember it well because it never happened.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nope. They vaguely promised some sort of troop uniform editor or faction army appearince editing function with Napoleon. I remember it well because it never happened.

post/username

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Humbly report sir, it is of course an honor and a privilege to be blown to bits by Serb artillery to protect the honor of his Imperial and Royal Highness in vengeance for his son being popped off in most undignified fashion. Why there will be so many of our parts flying to and fro over the battlefield, sir, that those Serbs will never know what hit them.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 30, 2015

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Earwicker posted:

Humbly report sir, it is of course an honor and a privilege to be blown to bits by Serb artillery to protect the honor of his Imperial and Royal Highness in vengeance for his son being popped off in most undignified fashion. Why there will be so many of our parts flying to and fro over the battlefield, sir, that those Serbs will never know what hit them.

The funny thing was that Franz Ferdinand was his nephew, not his son. Franz Joseph's son Rudolph died in a suicide pact with his mistress in 1889, and so his nephew, who wasn't particularly liked by anyone (including Franz Joseph), became the next heir.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

His bro was Emperor of Mexico as well.

It didn't end well for him.

Also, not sure what hosed him over more losing to Napoleon III or being rocked by the Hungarian Revolution.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Spiderfist Island posted:

The funny thing was that Franz Ferdinand was his nephew, not his son.

Yes I'm aware :) it was a reference to the Good Soldier Svejk, who refers to Franz Ferdinand as the son

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Earwicker posted:

Yes I'm aware :) it was a reference to the Good Soldier Svejk, who refers to Franz Ferdinand as the son

Ah, I didn't get the reference. My apologies.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

His bro was Emperor of Mexico as well.

It didn't end well for him.

Also, not sure what hosed him over more losing to Napoleon III or being rocked by the Hungarian Revolution.

TW: Mex-Am 1814-1900 - so you're playing the transition between Napoleonic combat and pre-wwi weaponry/tactics, but you're either A) Indians reeling from US western expansion, B) the broke rear end, newborn Mexican Republic, C) American settlers with no backing from the central government, or D) Federal/confederate troops at the ragged-rear end end of a long damned supply line. So it'd be all about utilizing your few well-equipped/trained units while making do everywhere else with levies/militias of wildly varying equipment and morale.

Don't forget your Gatlings, 7th cav!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd play it to gently caress over President Polk. You see, the 19th century Total War game would be so amazing play simply because of all the so called horrible gentlemen you can humble.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Since I'm currently nearing the endgame in my Choshu campaign, I'm dicking around with experimental armies. Since I plan on overrunning the Satsuma the minute they turn on me, I was wondering if a Traditional Samurai army with Armstrong gun backup would be viable on a Siege assault.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Since I'm currently nearing the endgame in my Choshu campaign, I'm dicking around with experimental armies. Since I plan on overrunning the Satsuma the minute they turn on me, I was wondering if a Traditional Samurai army with Armstrong gun backup would be viable on a Siege assault.

Anything + Armstrong Guns is pretty much going to work. Victorian-era artillery is that good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh god Ironclads are hilarious. I was having fun blowing poo poo up with the Roanoke, but the regular ironclads are even more fun. Get three or four, load up advanced armor piercing and charge directly at the enemy fleet. They lose more troops because they aren't all below decks, but there's something cathartic about popping a half dozen ships in two volleys and then raking them with machine guns.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Are there any good mods for agent spam in Shogun II? Steam Workshop isn't helping a ton.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Don't forget your Gatlings, 7th cav!

Wouldn't have mattered :colbert: People always want to blame some mistake on custer and his command when it's really just that the sioux and cheyenne were loving ballers and the US army usually came out worse for wear in actual armed conflict with these people.

Also I'd play this game forever

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 4, 2015

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Is there a mechanical reason to go Republic in FotS or is it just a fluff thing you do for bragging rights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Is there a mechanical reason to go Republic in FotS or is it just a fluff thing you do for bragging rights?

It's essentially just Hard Mode (and it gets extremely tedious by the end) but it is probably the Best Outcome from a flavour point of view.