Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

I'm pretty sure that scene was handled better than anything in American Sniper. At least the kid was real and not a doll.

Well yeah, they killed the mannequin off in the season premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's why they need to just go ahead and make Diggle The Green Lantern, motherfucker is a soldier and would handle poo poo like nobodies business.

Then we could finally get the Green Lantern / Green Arrow combo :).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

By the way, Marc Guggenheim confirmed today in a Q&A on his website that Deadshot was killed on the show because DC said that they couldn't use him anymore.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
What the gently caress is DC's hard on for character embargos

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Welp better enjoy the next 3 seasons of The Flash then since it's gonna get dropped like turd once they start the Flash film hype train. :(

Worst part is that these two shows are really amazing and DC can't see that these embargoes are going to do them harm in the long run.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Laurel seems a bit tolerable now but they've managed to make Felicity completely insufferable, what the gently caress show.
I can't stand Felicity any more, she's always loving weeping about something and in a tug of war between Ollie and Ray, stop leaking your WB bullshit into your shows, CW. :argh:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Scyantific posted:

Welp better enjoy the next 3 seasons of The Flash then since it's gonna get dropped like turd once they start the Flash film hype train. :(

Worst part is that these two shows are really amazing and DC can't see that these embargoes are going to do them harm in the long run.

Yeah, that's going to suck. Because their features are probably too big to fail (commercially), even if they're not good (critically.)

Grant Gustin is Peter-Parker-as-Flash in what's closest to a TV version of the Raimi Spider-Man movies. Tonally, it's pitch-perfect. If Man of Steel is a style guide for the other feature JL properties, I can't picture how they'd approach the Flash as a character that fits into that, and definitely can't imagine it being better.

I feel like Arrow will be fine, though, beyond some intervention regarding tertiary characters. DC is introducing like 6 more major characters into their features that *aren't* Green Arrow over the next few years; if and when they get around to him, the show will probably have run its course already anyway.

(And honestly...just make new characters. If DC is going to be pedantic, gently caress em. Take characters that are available and make them into what you wanted in the first place.)

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I am glad they're preventing characters being in both the movies and the tv shows, otherwise I would get confused!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Deadpool posted:

By the way, Marc Guggenheim confirmed today in a Q&A on his website that Deadshot was killed on the show because DC said that they couldn't use him anymore.

Maybe this means the Movie Version will be Wally or Jay or something so we can keep The Flash TV Show.

But yeah this is some ol bullshit and gently caress DC/WB for it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How would they even approach a Flash movie after this version of the show is around for a few seasons? Good luck. I can understand nobody raising a fuss when Wellington never made it past Smallville because nobody cared about Smallville, but this show is really good :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
DC editorial/upper management has always been a shitshow---especially in the last two years or so. :smith:

On the other hand, this is the first episode where Ollie stops being Dickhead Replacement Batman and starts acting like the goddamn Green Arrow. Now that we're finally past the Felicity thing, maybe we can get on to him and Laurel getting together and finally get the train out of Angst Town.

Though probably not before Captain Lance dies :smith:

DC: :smith:, the Franchise

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Still, the scene with Ollie and Ray went down exactly as expected and was hilarious.

:smug: Ha ha! Looks like I have you now!

t:mad: gently caress you, junior. You ain't got poo poo on me.

:smith:

t:mad: And stop being a dick to your goddamn girlfriend! Seriously!

:smith: ...yeah okay.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

DC has consistently treated their creative teams like dogshit. They really have managed to scare away a great amount of writing talent over the years. When he was on the outs with them, Greg Rucka gave a few interviews where he absolutely torched their management style.

I'm not hugely saddened by the loss of the suicide squad, but this does not bode well for the future. If DC were smart, they could leverage the modest success of The Flash/Arrow into a solid bridge to their oncoming films.

But I have zero faith in the films at this point. They're rushing the universe-building, casting big names in the wrong roles, and mistreating creative teams left and right.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

What the gently caress is DC's hard on for character embargos

Look, it's simple. If there's too many versions of characters people will get confused and stop caring!

Now if you'll excuse me it's time to start planning for the biannual marketing gimmick comics reboot where we introduce 10 new alternate universes that'll exist for 6 issues and everyone has new origins or outfits or just stopped existing altogether

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

DC editorial/upper management has always been a shitshow---especially in the last two years or so. :smith:

On the other hand, this is the first episode where Ollie stops being Dickhead Replacement Batman and starts acting like the goddamn Green Arrow. Now that we're finally past the Felicity thing, maybe we can get on to him and Laurel getting together and finally get the train out of Angst Town.

Though probably not before Captain Lance dies :smith:

DC: :smith:, the Franchise

I'm always amazed that DC animation has been consistently great, but their live action has been poo poo. Marvel has been great at live action, but their cartoons have been horrible.

Seriously, DC needs to ditch Snyder, and bring in some of the old Batman Cartoon writers. Why would any sane person think that the guy who made Superman depressing should be in charge of all the movies?

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 28, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Snyder didn't write Man of Steel, David S. Goyer did.

Also I'm much more afraid of DC ditching Snyder and getting someone less interesting to try to ape his style badly than I am of Snyder himself making more superhero movies.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I wish they would just have the two universes be separate, I'm not a huge comic book guy but isn't multiple universes a big thing for DC? Why would they not tie it into what they already do and have a TV universe and a Movie universe and then have some kind of cross over movie/tv story arc with the worlds merging together or some non sense?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The universes are separate. This makes me wary for how they are going to deal with The Flash as the movie gets closer to filming.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This whole thing with DCMU and DCTVU is a clusterfuck.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TyrantWD posted:

The universes are separate. This makes me wary for how they are going to deal with The Flash as the movie gets closer to filming.

In a shocking mid-season break, Barry Allen gets absorbed into the Speed Force! The show resumes as the Vibe & Killer Frost Science Hour, and Barry is never mentioned again.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

This whole thing with DCMU and DCTVU is a clusterfuck.
DCTVU and DCTVU was a clusterfuck already. We didn't get a development of Batman and Wonder Woman's relationship in JL, because they didn't want to mess up continuity with Batman Beyond. :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

boom boom boom posted:

In a shocking mid-season break, Barry Allen gets absorbed into the Speed Force! The show resumes as the Vibe & Killer Frost Science Hour, and Barry is never mentioned again.

They'll make the hero of the show Firestorm but keep calling it The Flash.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So was Ray's hosed up eyes in the episode going to be a point about the strain he's under or does Brandon Routh have an issue that make-up didn't bother fixing?

Edit: VVV His right eye was blood shot the entire episode, like he burst a vessel in them. I didn't want to assume something was wrong with the actor since it fits into the character.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 28, 2015

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't notice anything specific about his eyes but a big part of that episode was definitely Ray's unraveling mental state. It's important to remember that Ray's driving motivation is grief and trauma over his wife's murder, which he indirectly links to the Arrow. So he has his super suit and then he finds out the Arrow is killing again and then he finds out his girlfriend has been lying to him and protecting the Arrow and then he figures out the ADA is in on it too. Ray was uncovering a deep conspiracy that ties back to his wife's death and he was understandably losing it a little.

I mean, we're watching a comic book show so it's easy to forget but we should always remember that you have to be more than a little crazy to put on a suit and fight crime. Oliver was deply traumatized, Roy was bordering on depression, and Laurel is deep in grief. You gotta be a little more crazy to fly around in an untested battle suit and take on who you believe to be a sociopathic serial killer who may be pissed you took his company and girl from him.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
His right eye was red the whole episode, to the point my preschool teacher wife yelled "ew! Pink eye!" every time he came on the screen

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I would buy Ray having pink eye. I could totally buy Ollie breaking into Roy's apartment and farting in his pillow to get back on him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ufarn posted:

DCTVU and DCTVU was a clusterfuck already. We didn't get a development of Batman and Wonder Woman's relationship in JL, because they didn't want to mess up continuity with Batman Beyond. :smith:

Justice league was in direct continuity with Batman Beyond, it was by the same people. They didn't develop Barman and Wonder Woman's relationship because that's how it always ends up, they have a brief fling but can't be together because they're too different.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WB is so stupid. Okay, so you aren't going to tie in the shows to the movies and recast all the parts, great. But then they say the TV show can't use a character because he'll be in the movie. But they're not tied together! What does it matter?

Either tie them together or let them do whatever they want and use whatever characters because it's not gonna matter to the movies. They're hamstringing the TV shows for no reason.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's like someone high up at DC heard about the concept of brand dilution and just latched onto it with maniacal fervour and invokes it with almost religious awe whenever the subject comes up. "There can be only one Batman at a time! Otherwise the brand will get diluted! Do you want the brand to get diluted?!? WELL, DO YOU?!? THE BRAND MUST REMAIN PURE!!!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You know, the best part about Ray's suit is that, despite being ultra-sophisticated, it apparently has a major, glaring design flaw in the form of an external and unprotected power... thingie... that, when hit with an object, instantly causes the entire suit to shut down. No backup components or redundancy or anything. So much for the guy being a genius! :v:

Then again, I guess that's the only way they could have had Ollie win that fight, since he was so hopelessly outmatched otherwise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

You know, the best part about Ray's suit is that, despite being ultra-sophisticated, it apparently has a major, glaring design flaw in the form of an external and unprotected power... thingie... that, when hit with an object, instantly causes the entire suit to shut down. No backup components or redundancy or anything. So much for the guy being a genius! :v:

Then again, I guess that's the only way they could have had Ollie win that fight, since he was so hopelessly outmatched otherwise.

How could he anticipate ever fighting an opponent with the penetrative power of an arrow?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm really disappointed that the Atom is just a wannabe Iron Man, too. That fight was pretty awkward with all the obvious special effects. But okay, I get that you couldn't use Blue Beetle for some reason, but making the Atom just a low-rent Iron Man didn't really help. Make him Rocket Red or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I interpreted that in my head as a practical flaw Ray didn't anticipate because he's an inventor, not a fighter. He assumed he could just go into a fight with his power suit and kick rear end but Ollie has practical knowledge and fighting skills so he was able to quickly identify Ray's weakness and say "Its an electrical suit so if I can zap some of the connections or power supplies I can short circuit it."

Ray was just silly to build a suit and go out and rush into a fight because of his grief and trauma. I'm no tech guy but he was basically taking a prototype on a mission he had done no prep for. poo poo had bugs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC told them who to use too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I assumed the dart Ollie the was a tazer dart of some kind

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Phylodox posted:

It's like someone high up at DC heard about the concept of brand dilution and just latched onto it with maniacal fervour and invokes it with almost religious awe whenever the subject comes up. "There can be only one Batman at a time! Otherwise the brand will get diluted! Do you want the brand to get diluted?!? WELL, DO YOU?!? THE BRAND MUST REMAIN PURE!!!"

The irony here is that they've gone and diluted their two biggest franchises by constantly rebooting them every few years.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I don't think DC trying to limit overlap is necessarily such a bad thing. Agents of SHIELD being tied-in to the MCU is a known deal, and I can see viewers getting confused that DC's TV and film franchises are different. I don't support it, but I can see their reasoning.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Well yeah, they killed the mannequin off in the season premiere.

This is not getting enough love :golfclap:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

AGirlWonder posted:

I don't think DC trying to limit overlap is necessarily such a bad thing. Agents of SHIELD being tied-in to the MCU is a known deal, and I can see viewers getting confused that DC's TV and film franchises are different. I don't support it, but I can see their reasoning.

Embrace multiverse weirdness and do an Earth-1/Earth-2 kinda thing. Viewers understand that stuff intuitively now, once prompted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Embrace multiverse weirdness and do an Earth-1/Earth-2 kinda thing. Viewers understand that stuff intuitively now, once prompted.

You'd have to prompt viewers almost every episode though.

• Locked thread