Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

tribbledirigible posted:

I didn't know Saints Row LARP was a thing.

It's called growing up in the hood. Read a book.

e, unrelated:

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I thought for sure this was going to turn out to be running in reverse, but it's apparently real. It's taken from this video.

ReverendGodless
Jan 9, 2013
This thread wouldn't be complete without the greatest machine in the world, Bagger 288.

and of course, bear cavalry.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Everyone loves a shockwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KuGizBjDXo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Cone on, that's not even close to the best one.

Volcano Eruption in Papua New Guinea: https://youtu.be/BUREX8aFbMs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
8 year old kid takes on famous breakdancer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l38qapc3rA

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Breakdancing is one of those things that was trivial as a kid and a massive feat as an adult. Still, that kid was Born to Serve.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I do love old pictures of giant things

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

It looks like a giant beautiful Jell-O mold.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

trickybiscuits posted:

It looks like a giant beautiful Jell-O mold.

Or a giant fiery buttplug

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Snowy posted:

Or a giant fiery buttplug

Well, I've found my new username request.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ReverendGodless posted:

This thread wouldn't be complete without the greatest machine in the world, Bagger 288.

and of course, bear cavalry.

haha this is basically the quintessential post of what goons think is badass

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

I don't know, he neglected to mention ancient sharks. Megalodons are pretty badass, especially when you start to fathom the scale. Imagine walking into a shark's mouth.

Although Megalodons are still dwarfed by Blue Whale's, the most massive animal to ever exist. Badass.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

It's cliche as balls these days but the water still holds with both

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I'm sure blue whales are gentle giants, but I owned a silver arowana and let me tell you something about fish(or possibly whales). The don't need to be aggressive in order to attempt to eat anything that can fit into its mouth.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

im pooping! posted:

I'm sure blue whales are gentle giants, but I owned a silver arowana and let me tell you something about fish(or possibly whales). The don't need to be aggressive in order to attempt to eat anything that can fit into its mouth.

A blue whale can't swallow anything larger than a grapefruit. So I'm not sure what exactly happens to things that would go in its mouth but not be small enough to swallow. I guess you'd just get spat out.
That does not mean that you wouldn't get hurt during the process.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Yeah man they eat krill

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

well the diver in that picture is more bad rear end than ill ever be

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

sulphix posted:

I don't know, he neglected to mention ancient sharks. Megalodons are pretty badass, especially when you start to fathom the scale. Imagine walking into a shark's mouth.

This is extra funny to me because I have pictures of two of those things on my phone that I took, bagger something and megalodon jaws.

Also here's a pick of a GIRAFFOTITAN skeleton. That it's real name, and it's pretty badass.

So basically, it's me.

I am the goon.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

im pooping! posted:

well the diver in that picture is more bad rear end than ill ever be

Would you be pooping

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

im pooping! posted:

Whales are mammals, fish are not.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Some new electric motorcycle from Japan

unfortunately it's ~$70k

Rubber Ducky
Nov 5, 2009
That exposed belt drive does not look even remotely safe.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Rubber Ducky posted:

I'm shocked that a motorcycle could be branded as unsafe.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

freelop posted:

I do love old pictures of giant things

In a book on the making of the Panama Canal there was a picture of the lock gates under construction taken from the floor of the lock. They looked like the Black Gates of Mordor.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Son of Rodney posted:

Also here's a pick of a GIRAFFOTITAN skeleton. That it's real name, and it's pretty badass.

It used to be called Brachiosaurus. It's in the Berlin Museum of Natural History. That particular specimen is the tallest mounted dinosaur in the world.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

It used to be called Brachiosaurus. It's in the Berlin Museum of Natural History. That particular specimen is the tallest mounted dinosaur in the world.

This confused me for a minute so here:

wikipedia posted:

When describing the brachiosaurid material from Tendaguru in 1914, Janensch listed a number of differences and commonalities between them and B. altithorax.[36] In three further publications in 1929,[37] 1950 [45] and 1961[46] Janensch compared the two species in more detail, listing 13 putative shared characters.[5] Of these, however, only four appear to be valid, while six pertain to more inclusive groups than Brachiosauridae, and the rest are either difficult to assess or refer to material that is not Brachiosaurus.[5]

In 1988, Gregory Paul published a new reconstruction of the skeleton of "B." brancai, highlighting a number of differences in proportion between it and B. altithorax. Chief among them is a difference in the way the trunk vertebrae vary: they are fairly uniform in B. altithorax, but vary widely in the African material. Paul believed that the limb and girdle elements of both species were very similar, and therefore suggested to separate them not at genus, but only at subgenus level.[7]

Giraffatitan was raised to genus level by Olshevsky without comment.[32] A detailed study of all material, including the limb and girdle bones, by Michael Taylor in 2009 found that there are significant differences between Brachiosaurus altithorax and the Tendaguru material in all elements known from both species. Taylor found 26 distinct osteological (bone-based) characters, a larger difference than that between, e.g., Diplodocus and Barosaurus, and therefore argued that the African material should be placed in its own genus, Giraffatitan, as G. brancai.[5] An important difference between the two genera is the overall body shape, with Brachiosaurus having a 23% longer dorsal (trunk) vertebrate series and a 20 to 25% longer and also taller tail.[5]

So Giraffatitan is a separate genus from Brachiosauridae. Brachiosaurus is still a dinosaur, albeit stupider looking.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Khazar-khum posted:

Yeah, that's where I took the picture :) The rest of the museum is not that impressive, but if any of you ever find yourself in berlin it's like 4€ and the dinosaur skeletons are really cool.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
It's always staggering to me just how massive a lot of those prehistoric skeletons are, and even modern animal ones. I mean yeah, in pictures they look big, but until you're next to one physically, it's night and day comparison. I remember seeing a whale skeleton as a kid in a UK Natural History museum (think it was a blue whale, not sure though) and I must've stared slack-jawed at it for a solid 5 minutes like "whoa...that's freaking HUGE :aaa:"

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Rubber Ducky posted:

It's not so bad

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dog Case posted:

It's not so bad

Ok, you're losing your pant leg from the belt and your spinal column from that seat.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ozz81 posted:

It's always staggering to me just how massive a lot of those prehistoric skeletons are, and even modern animal ones. I mean yeah, in pictures they look big, but until you're next to one physically, it's night and day comparison. I remember seeing a whale skeleton as a kid in a UK Natural History museum (think it was a blue whale, not sure though) and I must've stared slack-jawed at it for a solid 5 minutes like "whoa...that's freaking HUGE :aaa:"

Reminds me of a local museum I would go to as a kid had ice-age era moose ancestors on display, and the things' kneecaps were higher than me, let alone the whole huge stilty body that had to be over 2 stories tall. I took my kid there last summer and was disappointed to see they weren't there anymore, though there was tons of cool stuff still to see.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Choco1980 posted:

Reminds me of a local museum I would go to as a kid had ice-age era moose ancestors on display, and the things' kneecaps were higher than me, let alone the whole huge stilty body that had to be over 2 stories tall. I took my kid there last summer and was disappointed to see they weren't there anymore, though there was tons of cool stuff still to see.

Giant Irish Elk?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Amateur.

Here's how the pros do it:

There's a documentary about this (apparently a subculture in Baltimore, also dirtbikes), have been meaning to get around to watching it.

Here we go: 12 o'clock boys

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Giant Irish Elk?

Probably something similar. The museum is in Michigan, and the animal was taxidermized, not just skeletons. They still have fetuses in jars there meanwhile to freak you out though.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

Giant Irish Elk?

Tha Dublin Natural History Museum is a national treasure, the whole museum is itself a museum piece.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Giant Irish Elk?

It's a pity the Ice Age animals don't get more love.