Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Personally, I found that the sites where Flash is needed for specialty video streaming were among the worst to use Shumway with, while Shumway is pretty good at like, Newgrounds flash games and other things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hmm. I was really hoping to not reinstall Flash. Games aren't so much an issue for me, more streaming audio (radio stations) and the odd video from news sites or the like.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

slidebite posted:

Hmm. I was really hoping to not reinstall Flash. Games aren't so much an issue for me, more streaming audio (radio stations) and the odd video from news sites or the like.

It could work on a few sites, but the main argument to still be using flash for video (other than your site is rear end-backwards) is DRM, which shumway won't support.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

slidebite posted:

Flash plus Click To Play Per Element should do what you need.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So is Adblock really as evil as I keep reading about? I've been suspecting it as the cause of my performance issues.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Xenomorph posted:

So is Adblock really as evil as I keep reading about? I've been suspecting it as the cause of my performance issues.

Adblock isn't evil, just old with a newer alternative that is more lightweight (uBlock).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Not sure if this is a firefox problem or something in my sound mixer, but:

A week or so ago one of the many many tabs in firefox started playing something. Since firefox still (AFAIK) doesn't have a "which tab is annoying you right now" add-on, I just went to my computers volume mixer and turned off the sound on adobe flash.

The problem - every time I kill the firefox process in flash manager (which I have to do every few hours when it starts to lag) restarting firefox turn off the sound on adobe flash. For some reason.

How do I fix this?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

For Youtube: Enable Media Source Extensions (about :config > media.mediasource.webm.enabled; you'll also have to whitelist mediasource: in NoScript or similar extensions, if you use them.) That way you can just use the HTML5 version of Youtube.

For other Flash stuff: Probably can't be done: Google blacklisted most plugins and where it uses its own, like Flash for Chrome, it's tweaked to tell Google explicitly that it's playing audio. The Firefox Flash plugin, not so much. It'd be nice if they could use two icons - one for "yup this is audio" and another for "this is a plugin and we have no idea if it's generating sound but you might want to look at it" but it probably gives Mozilla's UI people flop sweats.

Also stop with the wanton task-killing - it probably has something to do with Flash not releasing audio claims properly. Use the off button like a human being; it destroys the process gracefully unless your extensions are misbehaving. If there's still a memory leak report it.

This went right over my head. I enabled the thing in config, but what exactly is that supposed to do?

Also, what's "the off button"?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 28, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

For Youtube: Enable Media Source Extensions (about :config > media.mediasource.webm.enabled; you'll also have to whitelist mediasource: in NoScript or similar extensions, if you use them.) That way you can just use the HTML5 version of Youtube.

For other Flash stuff: Probably can't be done: Google blacklisted most plugins and where it uses its own, like Flash for Chrome, it's tweaked to tell Google explicitly that it's playing audio. The Firefox Flash plugin, not so much. It'd be nice if they could use two icons - one for "yup this is audio" and another for "this is a plugin and we have no idea if it's generating sound but you might want to look at it" but it probably gives Mozilla's UI people flop sweats.

Also stop with the wanton task-killing - it probably has something to do with Flash not releasing audio claims properly. Use the off button like a human being; it destroys the process gracefully unless your extensions are misbehaving. If there's still a memory leak report it.

Xenomorph posted:

Evil, no. Complacent, yes. Unoptimized, oh you betcha.

Also, as noble as their intent is (that eventually getting advertisers to behave themselves would in theory make ad-blocking obsolete), it makes the more ideologically-minded of users head for the hills (which uBlock doesn't) and their intent is tragicomedically futile as long as there's bad actors who capitalize on the facts that A) ad hosts generally don't perform due diligence to make sure that ads that serve up malware - or, for that matter, modes of social engineering or psychological exploitation that have been criminalized, or have been rejected by advertisers' associations, in other media - don't actually get served to users and that B) it seems almost impossible to hold ad hosts to account - whether criminal, civil, or equitable - for allowing such ads to be served to users (which may be why they don't perform due diligence). Maybe a couple DO, but I'd be surprised if anyone but maybe Apple actually looks over changes made to already-approved ads in flight for malicious stuff or exploits of the ad host's software.

And it's gotten harder and harder to find the lists AdBlock Plus maintains on their website instead of having to dive into their client.

So maybe evil isn't off the table.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 28, 2015

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Xenomorph posted:

isndl posted:

Adblock isn't evil, just old with a newer alternative that is more lightweight (uBlock).

Well, they did do some lovely things. They introduced this whole idea of "non-intrusive ads". Basically, they're requiring that companies that want to let ads through must pay them to be placed on their whitelist. Some argue that this is actually extortion ("you pay me to allow your ads, or else no one will ever see them").

http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/06/google-and-others-reportedly-pay-adblock-plus-to-show-you-ads-anyway/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2476293,00.asp
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-25219922

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I don't mind ads.

I've made money from ads.

I HATE distracting, terrible, lovely ads. I also hate ads that track me from site to site. I don't need some obscure Amazon or eBay search leading to "related products" showing up in my Facebook feed. I always used the "Element Hiding Helper" extension with Adblock to easily erase annoying parts of sites. Many times blocking a domain or script (via NoScript) leads to a bunch of empty boxes on the site.

However, It seems like since disabling Adblock Plus, all the performance issues I've had with Firefox disappeared.

Edit, actually, I take that back. I left it enabled, but disabled their stupid default list of 100,000,000,000 things to block. With just my custom list, things are still fast.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 29, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Ads had their chance, but ad companies have repeatedly proven that they don't care about preventing malware in their ads. I'd allow non-annoying ads except that I'm worried about some payload getting through a new vulnerability than anything else. Even on the sites that I want to enable ads on because they're small and depend on the revenue I don't because of the risks.

Adblock Plus is slow but ublock does the same thing while being faster.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, I have noticed an issue with a website that I don't think I had before I updated to 36.0.4

For some reason, when I open a story on CTVs website, the page get into an endless cycle of loading. Finishes rendering, reload. Finishes loading, reload, repeat.

For example, the link below does this:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/air-canada-flight-ac624-tweets-photos-from-the-scene-1.2302756

Anyone else have the issue?

I tried disabling uBlock and all my other extensions, didn't effect it.

I have:

Ublock
Camelizer
Flashgot
ConvertToMP3

ideas? Doesn't seem to effect IE

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

slidebite posted:

For some reason, when I open a story on CTVs website, the page get into an endless cycle of loading. Finishes rendering, reload. Finishes loading, reload, repeat.

It reloaded for me exactly once and then stopped and everything was ok.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks, I was watching the URL closely as it was cycling and caught a glimpse of something "set cookie". I have my privacy to not accept 3rd party cookies. If I changed that to accepting them, the loop went away. Still weird though, first time I've seen that happen.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So... I'm not sure what that was supposed to do, but I did it and it didn't help - whenever I restart firefox, adobe flash sound gets turned off in the sound mixer thing.

Oh hey:

Revitalized posted:

A couple of days ago, Firefox would drop the volume on any content it could play after an extended period of time.

So like, after say, 15 to 20 minutes of using Firefox and watching a video or listening to music on youtube, the audio would suddenly and abruptly become fairly quiet. The little Windows sound mixer in the System Tray would show the green volume indicator as super tiny, like there's not that much sound. If I restart Firefox, the audio returns to normal, and the green volume indicator returns to normal levels.

Other applications like video games remain unaffected. Any ideas?
Same problem, essentially?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 31, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On 36.0.4, while listening to Google Play Music, the music will stutter every maybe 45-60 seconds, just for short fraction of a second. I'm wired to my router, so the connection should be fine. This doesn't happen in Chrome. Any ideas why?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
A couple of days ago, Firefox would drop the volume on any content it could play after an extended period of time.

So like, after say, 15 to 20 minutes of using Firefox and watching a video or listening to music on youtube, the audio would suddenly and abruptly become fairly quiet. The little Windows sound mixer in the System Tray would show the green volume indicator as super tiny, like there's not that much sound. If I restart Firefox, the audio returns to normal, and the green volume indicator returns to normal levels.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Is there anyway to make firefox not use system borders? it wastes quite a lot of space on the top bar with that

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

hooah posted:

On 36.0.4, while listening to Google Play Music, the music will stutter every maybe 45-60 seconds, just for short fraction of a second. I'm wired to my router, so the connection should be fine. This doesn't happen in Chrome. Any ideas why?

Usually this only happens for me if I'm stressing the browser a lot in some other way; that could be a factor. (But normally I find Firefox is ironically better than Chrome for GPM)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TheQat posted:

Usually this only happens for me if I'm stressing the browser a lot in some other way; that could be a factor. (But normally I find Firefox is ironically better than Chrome for GPM)

Unfortunately, this happens when GPM is the only tab open in the only FF window.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Is this also the thread to bitch about Firefox Android? Because holy poo poo this these latest versions (36.0.x) have been loving terrible.
The canvas keeps corrupting on zooming or switching tabs or even loading pages and the only way to fix it is to scroll the page far enough that it has to render a new bit.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Celexi posted:

Is there anyway to make firefox not use system borders? it wastes quite a lot of space on the top bar with that

Try the Australis Slimmr add-on.

Geemer posted:

Is this also the thread to bitch about Firefox Android? Because holy poo poo this these latest versions (36.0.x) have been loving terrible.
The canvas keeps corrupting on zooming or switching tabs or even loading pages and the only way to fix it is to scroll the page far enough that it has to render a new bit.

Which device and Android version are you using? On my 2013 Moto X with stock Android 4.4.4 I haven't seen any of those problems.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

that unfortunately does nothing to the top bar on linux (gnome 3.x)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Which device and Android version are you using? On my 2013 Moto X with stock Android 4.4.4 I haven't seen any of those problems.

Samsung Galaxy S4 with stock Android 4.3. I know it's not the latest firmware, but the latest firmware blows chunks.

Also, hilariously, the released-just-today update to Firefox 37 seems to have fixed it. :shrug:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

This also means that you can expect OSX and Win32 to auto to 37.0 soon (and Linux and other centrally-managed OSes to see it in repository soon). Title change I guess?

Win64 has no release fork yet, but 38.0b1 hit today; you might have to dig that out of ftp.mozilla.org manually. Also the whole "official Win64 Firefox" thing probably belongs in the OP.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 31, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Haha, right as I closed this tab, I saw the update notification for 37.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Win64 has no release fork yet, but 38.0b1 hit today; you might have to dig that out of ftp.mozilla.org manually.

The second statement contradicts the first: if a build is only published on the FTP, it hasn't actually been released yet. I'd recommend waiting until the beta is officially released (read: it's posted on the website), unless you like running builds that haven't had a sanity check yet.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Revitalized posted:

Do you use voice chat, like Skype? By default Windows will lower the sound of active media when it detects voice communications, and sometimes doesn't return it to normal levels afterwards. It's one of the things I have to disable on every install of Windows.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I only noticed this now, I don' know if it has any thing to do with updating to FF 37.0 today, but the add-on Text Link doesn't seem to work anymore, anyone else in the same boat, and what's a good alternative? I tried Plain Text Linker from some random in the Text Link comments, but it forces link to open in the foreground and not background (deal breaker).

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Im_Special posted:

So I only noticed this now, I don' know if it has any thing to do with updating to FF 37.0 today, but the add-on Text Link doesn't seem to work anymore, anyone else in the same boat, and what's a good alternative? I tried Plain Text Linker from some random in the Text Link comments, but it forces link to open in the foreground and not background (deal breaker).

DownThemAll has an option to recognize text links:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Im_Special posted:

So I only noticed this now, I don' know if it has any thing to do with updating to FF 37.0 today, but the add-on Text Link doesn't seem to work anymore, anyone else in the same boat, and what's a good alternative?

You may already know this, but text links are already clickable in Firefox; you just have to select and right-click them, and the context menu will show some entries to open the link.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Avenging Dentist posted:

You may already know this, but text links are already clickable in Firefox; you just have to select and right-click them, and the context menu will show some entries to open the link.

Yeah but I'm to use to double clicking. Anyway! I did some digging and some dude made a fork on github that makes it work, only downside is it's from a random dude and from github, so if you trust that by all means.

The offical Github that led me to this fork, the changes me made to it (looks harmless) and the link to download the raw textlink.xpi.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Has anyone else found the "new" Google Maps crashing the poo poo out of Firefox over the last few weeks? Seems like using or even trying to close a Google Maps tab will crash the whole fuckin' browser.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Has anyone else found the "new" Google Maps crashing the poo poo out of Firefox over the last few weeks? Seems like using or even trying to close a Google Maps tab will crash the whole fuckin' browser.

Last time I had that problem it was an issue with my graphics driver that got fixed when Nvidia updated.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I dunno if this is some elaborate Aprils fools thing, but gorhill the guy behind uBlock is suddenly just up and leaving the project, Google death threats?

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
I was wondering what the hell was going on. I went to the github page to see if there'd been a new version (addons.mozilla.org is uselessly out of date) and there was nothing there. I really hope uBlock doesn't turn to poo poo.

Edit: Now the new guy is asking for donations

Implied Consent fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 1, 2015

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah gorhill leaves, then promptly thereafter the No Donations part gets removed, then the second main dev leaves. My faster ad blocker. :qq:

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
Chrisaljoudi just posted that he's not a firefox developer.

Browser extension drama!

Implied Consent fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 2, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any indication why the developer left? To spend more time with his family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Implied Consent posted:

It looks like Deathamns might still be in though.
Deathamns left. Unless I missing something, at least uBlock is in really great shape now, hopefully this chris guy (who is not comfortable with Firefox's APIs) can keep it afloat.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 2, 2015