Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to play a youtube playlist on my iphone?

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's the best way to play a youtube playlist on my iphone?

The youtube app?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I really like imgupr for uploading to imgur

even gives you BB code links to paste here
Awful app uploads to imgur right in the app.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

The youtube app?

Could've sworn it couldn't, but there ya go thanks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

Well gently caress me!!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Endless Mike posted:

but it doesn't resize images so poo poo will be loving huge. You've gotta edit your post after the fact and add timg tags, which only changes the display size and still makes the client download the full resolution image. Upit gives you an easy to use resize at the moment of upload.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bummey posted:

but it doesn't resize images so poo poo will be loving huge. You've gotta edit your post after the fact and add timg tags, which only changes the display size and still makes the client download the full resolution image. Upit gives you an easy to use resize at the moment of upload.

I think there's some resolution threshold where the Awful app automatically applies timg tags. It did for that big rear end picture of my roommate's cat. Still full resolution though, yea.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.
Sup Bummey.

Here's the imgur url "tricks".

tldr; throw an m or s before .jpg in the imgur URL to shrink it.

Image thumbnails
There are 6 total thumbnails that an image can be resized to. Each one is accessable by appending a single character suffix to the end of the image id, and before the file extension. The thumbnails are:

Thumbnail Suffix Thumbnail Name Thumbnail Size Keeps Image Proportions
s Small Square 90x90 No
b Big Square 160x160 No
t Small Thumbnail 160x160 Yes
m Medium Thumbnail 320x320 Yes
l Large Thumbnail 640x640 Yes
h Huge Thumbnail 1024x1024 Yes
For example, the image located at http://i.imgur.com/12345.jpg has the Medium Thumbnail located at http://i.imgur.com/12345m.jpg

Stolen from Imgur API documentation here.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Launcher is pretty nifty guys. Thanks for the heads up and definitely check it out

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

eltoozero posted:

Sup Bummey.

Here's the imgur url "tricks".

tldr; throw an m or s before .jpg in the imgur URL to shrink it.

Image thumbnails
There are 6 total thumbnails that an image can be resized to. Each one is accessable by appending a single character suffix to the end of the image id, and before the file extension. The thumbnails are:

Thumbnail Suffix Thumbnail Name Thumbnail Size Keeps Image Proportions
s Small Square 90x90 No
b Big Square 160x160 No
t Small Thumbnail 160x160 Yes
m Medium Thumbnail 320x320 Yes
l Large Thumbnail 640x640 Yes
h Huge Thumbnail 1024x1024 Yes
For example, the image located at http://i.imgur.com/12345.jpg has the Medium Thumbnail located at http://i.imgur.com/12345m.jpg

Yeah people keep pointing this out to me but I can never remember that stuff.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Re: Official imgur App: Well, if no uploads is the big thing, that's fine for me, personally, as I never upload from mobile anyway. I always do that from my desktop.

But it's good to know. If I ever change my mind, I'll try to remember to just grab the Awful App. Thanks!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there an app that will cycle my lock screen background daily (preferably with something like the bing daily wallpaper)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is there an app that will cycle my lock screen background daily (preferably with something like the bing daily wallpaper)
Pretty sure you need a jailbreak to change system settings like that.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bummey posted:

Yeah people keep pointing this out to me but I can never remember that stuff.
here's the short version: add l (that's an L for large) before the .jpg and it'll be fine

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Has anyone else noticed that google maps now defaults to a map view in navigation instead of the previous and actually useful default of having a first person view with the arrow facing forward at all times? What gives with this and how can I change it back?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Has anyone else noticed that google maps now defaults to a map view in navigation instead of the previous and actually useful default of having a first person view with the arrow facing forward at all times? What gives with this and how can I change it back?

That's not the default behavior for the 3 iphones I just tried it on. Did you change your location settings? Tap the compass in the top right to toggle between the views.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
So GoodReader has a feature where you can email yourself only the highlights you've made in a PDF, all in plain text. The problem is that it also includes extra info like the highlighter color used, which forces me to clean it up by going through the entire text file and deleting that extra information, which takes up more time. I can't seem to find an option to disable that behavior, either.

Do any of the GoodReader alternatives have a similar feature but without the extra stuff? It's not the worst thing in the world, but something better would help a lot.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Not defending goodreaders choice to include color, but if it's just plaintext, you could definitely strip the unnecessary stuff with some regex.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I just looked up what regex is and that's some cool poo poo. I guess I could learn to use it to chop that poo poo out, but it'd be nice to be able to have a workflow that I can do completely through my phone.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
PDF Expert exports like this:

Annotations of What's New in 5.2
highlight [page 1]: "Bookmarks manager gets amazing improvements in terms of features and look."
highlight [page 1]: "All bookmarked pages are clearly marked in PDF pages manager"

And if you want to go the regex route you can do this on the phone with something like xeger.

gently caress that, use Drafts, it has regex now.

eltoozero fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 25, 2015

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hey everyone a giant update to my synth TC-11 is out now! $5 off for a bit.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tc-11/id488577050?mt=8

Some new patch demos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKPbryPrRJ8

Here I pretend I am a rock star:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuEOGJrNnrQ

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
I like the Add N to (X) vibe, looks fun, bought.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

duckfarts posted:

This and I'm kinda mad that I updated to the new version from the oooooooold version which let you upload stuff fine, and in bulk to boot. Its biggest problem was that it kept forgetting your login and you'd have to enter your details again.
The old version seemed like it was just the mobile website, like it was just a web view that loaded imgur.com. I got annoyed with it forgetting the login and just made a home screen bookmark of the website long ago to replace the app.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

eltoozero posted:

PDF Expert exports like this:

Annotations of What's New in 5.2
highlight [page 1]: "Bookmarks manager gets amazing improvements in terms of features and look."
highlight [page 1]: "All bookmarked pages are clearly marked in PDF pages manager"

And if you want to go the regex route you can do this on the phone with something like xeger.

gently caress that, use Drafts, it has regex now.

Yeah that's pretty much what GR spits out. I'll take a look into Drafts.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Hi thread - here's a teaser for you. (Hope this is in the right place.)

iPad mini v.1, iOS8.2. I'm having issues with Mail. I've deleted a large collection of emails from my work account, which I normally access from my MacBook. the account is synched to my iPad mini, and there are maybe three emails that have been deleted that still show up when I search All Mailboxes on the iPad.

The mails were deleted on my Macbook, from Microsoft Office, then deleted from the Trash. I can't find the emails at all if I search on my computer. But on the iPad, the emails would appear if I used Spotlight Search, or if I search All Mailboxes in Mail.

I've restarted, restored the iPad from my Macbook. That fixed the Spotlight Search problem, but not the search in Mailboxes. I'm certain there's a cache of data somewhere that is NOT getting deleted.

Has anyone else come across this problem before? Is there a known fix? IT's defeated my Googling skills this morning....

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I see there's finally a way to share things to gmail in the lastest version (how people could get by without this is beyond me).
Only problem is: when I try to share something from the Apple photos apps, it nearly never works. Seems completely random.
Any idea what could be causing this ? It is a company issued iPhone so I can't just throw it against the wall or flush it down the toilet for this and other numerous bullshit problems and get a nice, working, open Android phone like I'd like to.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spatule posted:

I see there's finally a way to share things to gmail in the lastest version (how people could get by without this is beyond me).
Only problem is: when I try to share something from the Apple photos apps, it nearly never works. Seems completely random.
Any idea what could be causing this ? It is a company issued iPhone so I can't just throw it against the wall or flush it down the toilet for this and other numerous bullshit problems and get a nice, working, open Android phone like I'd like to.

Just tried this now, works fine for me.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just tried this now, works fine for me.

drat, can't find anything googling around about this problem either.

Edit: wtf, mails I sent this way 2 hours ago are being sent now. Most of them anyway. It also has issues sharing contacts from the phone app and others.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 27, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Could be your data connection or wifi? Were you on a public network?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Could be your data connection or wifi? Were you on a public network?

First time was on data, then at home on WiFi which is reliable and fast. Even then, it is supposed to retry I suppose . Apps like pocket do.

Its also not size related since a 6 MB mail with pictures went through twice out of 5 tries, and attaching a single vcf file failed.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Spatule posted:

First time was on data, then at home on WiFi which is reliable and fast. Even then, it is supposed to retry I suppose . Apps like pocket do.

Its also not size related since a 6 MB mail with pictures went through twice out of 5 tries, and attaching a single vcf file failed.

Do you have Background App Refresh enabled for the gmail app? Only thing I can think of. Seems to work just fine for me as well.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Are there any recommended IRC apps for iPhone? Preferably something that keeps me connected to channels even when I switch apps or lock the screen, if such a thing is possible.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Flame112 posted:

Are there any recommended IRC apps for iPhone? Preferably something that keeps me connected to channels even when I switch apps or lock the screen, if such a thing is possible.

I like Colloquy. For staying connected all the time you're probably going to want to set up an IRC bouncer which you then connect to from the phone.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Flame112 posted:

I use Palaver, but you'll need to set up a bouncer for staying connected when you swicth apps or lock the phone. iOS won't let an IRC client (or any third party app, afaik) run in the background.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shazam can run in the background and you get a big ugly red bar at the top of your screen that can't be hidden

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shazam can run in the background and you get a big ugly red bar at the top of your screen that can't be hidden
Red means capturing audio I think. There's a limit to backgrounding (10 mins, might be 5 now?) but there's specific exemptions like audio, location, VoIP, or other stuff I don't remember. But basically nothing that'd apply to IRC, barring something shady like Facebook did a while back.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

japtor posted:

Red means capturing audio I think. There's a limit to backgrounding (10 mins, might be 5 now?) but there's specific exemptions like audio, location, VoIP, or other stuff I don't remember. But basically nothing that'd apply to IRC, barring something shady like Facebook did a while back.

As of iOS 7, this isn't really how backgrounding works anymore. I can't remember the full details, but apps have a lot more freedom to run in the background than they used to.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Flame112 posted:

A bouncer is the only way to make IRC'ing on an iDevice not painful. Alternatively, check out IRCCloud.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Diabolik900 posted:

As of iOS 7, this isn't really how backgrounding works anymore. I can't remember the full details, but apps have a lot more freedom to run in the background than they used to.

I disagree, I think that post is pretty much correct.

Certain apps lie and claim to be VOIP or GPS apps so they can be "woken" as you move around and re-background themselves.
But there is no way without jailbreaking that you can have an app always be active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I disagree, I think that post is pretty much correct.

Certain apps lie and claim to be VOIP or GPS apps so they can be "woken" as you move around and re-background themselves.
But there is no way without jailbreaking that you can have an app always be active.

Apps can't just stay active all the time. No disagreement there. The ten minute limit isn't true anymore though. My understanding is that the apps can now have however long it takes to finish whatever they're doing, but with the major caveat that its time isn't guaranteed to be continuous. Also there are a few ways that apps can be woken up in the background, which wasn't possible before.