Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah no problem leaving them on there after a reformat. I just wasn't sure if it'd somehow store personal information or something since it's not tied to the motherboard or w/e. Thanks for the response!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Bought a windows 8.1 and MS office key online for my laptop. Looking to sell my laptop. Is it tied to my "account" or computer or? Can I just reformat and load them up again and then get another key on my own? Or are they somehow tied to name or identity?

OEM licenses are technically per-motherboard, but Microsoft's pretty amenable to moving them in the event of dead boards.

Obviously this does not apply to you.

Standard retail licenses (as in normal Windows and Office 2010/2013) can be moved more or less freely. Office 365 is tied to your Microsoft account. No form of Windows currently ties to a Microsoft account.

If you want to keep the licenses: You should put back the original Windows version before selling it (not the original image unless you want to spite the buyer: just the version and edition that came with it, and 64-bit regardless of the original architecture unless it literally won't run). I'm assuming that's Windows 7 Home Premium because if it was Windows 8 then you wouldn't have to buy 8.1, but check the license label (probably on the underside) to make sure - note that Windows 8 laptops usually just have a license key in firmware and no label.

If you want to sell the licenses: The buyer will need every copy of the license keys. You don't have to give them your emails but you also shouldn't keep them. Note that getting Office install media as not the first owner of an Office license can be complicated if the first owner (say, you) already linked it to a Microsoft account (say, for downloading the Office install media). Yeah, this is kind of a dick move from Microsoft.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 21, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I bought it without an OS installed and loaded up 8.1 via license.

Yeah office is linked to my account. So can't transfer that one eh?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
What is the best free password management software for windows?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

What is the best free password management software for windows?

I personally use KeePass and sync the database with a cloud solution.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Since KeePass is portable I just keep the whole thing in the cloud.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I think most people find LastPass a little more friendly.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

crestfallen posted:

I think most people find LastPass a little more friendly.

Yes. I used to use KeePass, but switched to LastPass to give it a try and never looked back. Not having to copy+paste poo poo on my own computers is really nice. And with the app on my phone, I can still copy passwords in for university machines where I don't have LastPass installed. My only complaint is the Android app doesn't really work with Firefox, and the mobile plug-in doesn't seem to do anything.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I feel like this conversation happens a couple times a month.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't like the idea that someone could get on my computer and it will start typing in passwords to various websites.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
That is why, Cojawfee, you use the default settings of LastPass which logs you out every time you close your browser. You're perfectly safe. Unless they get your master password. Which is the same design flaw LastPass shares with KeePass2.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't know if you can really call that a design flaw.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its also not the default

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I don't like the idea that someone could get on my computer and it will start typing in passwords to various websites.

Go with two factor then. They need your PC, or the pc you left last pass open on, and the dongle/fob/smartphone app to get to your stuff then.

https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/multifactor-authentication-options/

Google authenticatior even works with the free version of Last pass.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
KeePass allows you to use a keyfile in addition to a password. Stick the keyfile on a USB drive you keep on your keychain. Preferably, keep a backup somewhere in case you lose the USB drive. The thieves would then need both your master password and your USB drive to read your passwords.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Yeah I ended up going with keepass synced to my drop box with a master key file and password needed to decrypt. Now I can access my passwords from a central place but every device that accesses it needs the key file, which is not stored anywhere except locally on the machine that uses it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

KeePass allows you to use a keyfile in addition to a password. Stick the keyfile on a USB drive you keep on your keychain. Preferably, keep a backup somewhere in case you lose the USB drive. The thieves would then need both your master password and your USB drive to read your passwords.

Lastpass can do this with the yubikey or whatever.

Anyways, lastpass owns!

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Part of my job is using sound effects, and sometimes this involves going through like hundreds of beep01.wav, beep02.wav beep03.wav etc to find exactly the right one. I'm looking for a player that can support the usual suspects (wav, aiff, etc) and also not be bloated or stupid. Winamp, for example, really hates files that are shorter than 1 second and sometimes just won't play them.

-Won't break on super short files
-Doesn't open a new instance every time I click on a new file and clutter all my poo poo up
-Preferably some sort of shell integration so I can just play files straight from explorer without having to open a program at all.

Can anyone help?

edit: Windows 7, fyi

bhlaab fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 24, 2015

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

bhlaab posted:

Part of my job is using sound effects, and sometimes this involves going through like hundreds of beep01.wav, beep02.wav beep03.wav etc to find exactly the right one. I'm looking for a player that can support the usual suspects (wav, aiff, etc) and also not be bloated or stupid. Winamp, for example, really hates files that are shorter than 1 second and sometimes just won't play them.

-Doesn't open a new instance every time I click on a new file and clutter all my poo poo up
-Preferably some sort of shell integration so I can just play files straight from explorer without having to open a program at all.

Can anyone help?

Doesn't the preview pane in Windows Explorer give a built-in playback option?

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

Doesn't the preview pane in Windows Explorer give a built-in playback option?

Not for me...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

bhlaab posted:

Can anyone help?

I haven't explicitly tested it with very short files, but maybe try foobar2000?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

minidracula posted:

I haven't explicitly tested it with very short files, but maybe try foobar2000?
It does not have new instance support out of the box, and no preview shell integration either.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

When it comes to simple software needs that don't exist in the greater world, I go to https://www.donationcoder.com and offer a small bounty for someone to make it for me.

For auditioning small files, I'm no expert but I'd use either 1by1 or XMPlay, neither of which fulfills 100% of the requirements laid out, but there you go.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

bhlaab posted:

Not for me...

Huh, me either. I could've sworn Windows Media Player showed up there for A/V files.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

bhlaab posted:

MPC-HC can be made to behave as a good previewer through command line switches. To get the shell integration you'd have to use something like Default Programs Editor though and you'd have to add it for every file extension you'd want to use it with.

Basically you would want to add a new context menu item called Preview pointing towards
code:
"%mpc-hc_installation_path%\mpc-hc.exe" "%1" /play /close /minimized /nofocus
Replace %mpc-hc_installation_path% with the actual path where mpc-hc is installed.

And then you'd make that action the default action for that filetype.

Depending on the amount of filetypes you'd have to cover, it's somewhere between 2 and 15 minutes of work.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

MPC-HC can be made to behave as a good previewer through command line switches. To get the shell integration you'd have to use something like Default Programs Editor though and you'd have to add it for every file extension you'd want to use it with.

Basically you would want to add a new context menu item called Preview pointing towards
code:
"%mpc-hc_installation_path%\mpc-hc.exe" "%1" /play /close /minimized /nofocus
Replace %mpc-hc_installation_path% with the actual path where mpc-hc is installed.

And then you'd make that action the default action for that filetype.

Depending on the amount of filetypes you'd have to cover, it's somewhere between 2 and 15 minutes of work.

Wow, this was a big help! Thanks!

PPills
Oct 5, 2004
I have this PVR software called SageTV on my PC but it is no longer able to be purchased (I missed out on buying it several years back). Today my 21 day trial expired for SageTV, and it has also been exactly 21 days since I formatted (when I got my first SSD).

The only way I can get it to work again is to reformat Windows and start all over again, because for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the program cleanly installed again. I've tried to search the registry for 'sagetv' entries and delete them all, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

PPills posted:

I have this PVR software called SageTV on my PC but it is no longer able to be purchased (I missed out on buying it several years back). Today my 21 day trial expired for SageTV, and it has also been exactly 21 days since I formatted (when I got my first SSD).

The only way I can get it to work again is to reformat Windows and start all over again, because for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the program cleanly installed again. I've tried to search the registry for 'sagetv' entries and delete them all, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

You might want to check their forums http://forums.sagetv.com/ there might be an answer there.

PPills
Oct 5, 2004

Krailor posted:

You might want to check their forums http://forums.sagetv.com/ there might be an answer there.

That was the first place I checked, long ago. Only thing I had found was a thread where admin posted executables for SageTV that gave them extended license, but it is only for those that previously purchased a license... not for new users.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

bhlaab posted:

Can anyone help?

I do this too and I basically just use Reaper's media explorer for this reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9iZO1S-nKXs#t=97

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Weird question I've got here. I've got a Win7 Ultimate VLK I'm using from TechNet. I had also used that same key to apply for a Win 8 Pro upgrade.

What the hell happens to the VLK if I install and validate Win 8 Pro?

PPills
Oct 5, 2004

SlightButSteady posted:

I do this too and I basically just use Reaper's media explorer for this reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9iZO1S-nKXs#t=97

Have y'all made sure to uncheck the box that says 'remove silence at beginning/end of track' in Winamp's DirectSound Output plugin settings?I remember having to do so when I wanted to play some SMRPG ringtones on my computer, a few weeks back.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
This is probably a weird request, but does anyone have a link/recommendation to solitaire/hearts/minesweeper? I just realized they're not included in windows 8/8.1, and I built a PC for my dad :v: I know MS has them on the metro store, but I don't think my dad could deal with switching back and forth between desktop environments.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is probably a weird request, but does anyone have a link/recommendation to solitaire/hearts/minesweeper? I just realized they're not included in windows 8/8.1, and I built a PC for my dad :v: I know MS has them on the metro store, but I don't think my dad could deal with switching back and forth between desktop environments.

Here's a 7zip of Minesweeper and Solitaire from 64 bit Windows 7: http://fishmech.net/Microsoft%20Games.7z

They should go into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's also a good dad puzzle pack: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/puzzles/

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If he's playing Solitaire or FreeCell or whatever, he's probably playing them maximized, so they're full-screen already, and he probably won't really notice the difference if the Solitaire shortcut launched the metro game instead of the older version maximised on the desktop. Minesweeper window is small, but if he plays it a lot, he'll probably appreciate the additional stuff in the metro version as well. Maybe show him the metro games and see if he likes them?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Minesweeper and etc in Metro is pretty nice to be honest. You get daily goals and other poo poo to shoot for. He might get a kick out of the new stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm upgrading from a 120 to a 240gb SSD. I cloned the drive with Acronis, and the new one isn't booting. Windows repair disc doesn't recognize the Windows install. Are there any other pieces of software out there good at fixing boot issues after cloning drives?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Nintendo Kid posted:

Here's a 7zip of Minesweeper and Solitaire from 64 bit Windows 7: http://fishmech.net/Microsoft%20Games.7z

They should go into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games

Thanks for the link, but clicking on the games doesn't open them. Try setting compatibility to windows 7, doesn't do anything either.

Thanks for pointing this out, I think he'll love some of this poo poo.

beuges posted:

If he's playing Solitaire or FreeCell or whatever, he's probably playing them maximized, so they're full-screen already, and he probably won't really notice the difference if the Solitaire shortcut launched the metro game instead of the older version maximised on the desktop. Minesweeper window is small, but if he plays it a lot, he'll probably appreciate the additional stuff in the metro version as well. Maybe show him the metro games and see if he likes them?

GreenNight posted:

Minesweeper and etc in Metro is pretty nice to be honest. You get daily goals and other poo poo to shoot for. He might get a kick out of the new stuff.

Pretty sure you need a Microsoft account to download things from the app store, right? His PC is set up with a local account because he has no desire to have a MS account :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Can I delete the systems files from Windows.old safely? I got a used machine and did a clean install of windows 8.1 from a :filez: copy of Windows 7 but some of the trash he had downloaded must have found its way across the partition because overnight I've gotten terrible adware problems. I've manually deleted and Uninstalled whatever i could find and AVG found 10 bad files, and I've deleted Windows.old but it keeps warning me there are system files and if I delete them windows or other programs may gently caress up. Since I'm not actually using Windows 7, that shouldn't be an issue, right?