Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
seriously if you're attacking an indi pretender chassis you should expect some gently caress you unless you are specifically geared to gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
This is why you always attack thrones once or twice with scouts to see what the mages are going to cast.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

If it's an air throne don't even bother. It will be pain. Leave it alone.

Spring hawks = don't loving touch it. Just don't.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Mind hunt / assassinate all the commanders, watch the mindless beings melt. Of course that means you need to have the ability to do that.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If it's an air throne don't even bother. It will be pain. Leave it alone.

Spring hawks = don't loving touch it. Just don't.

I've had some success with F9/B9 jags. The fire weapons means ethereal doesn't help, and they are usually durable enough to take one big hit. Though I haven't tried it since the changes to shapeshift. Also, mindhunting and other remote attack spells work pretty well to get them Indie PGs away from their troops. Much less dangerous when they don't have troops in the way to murder.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

For annunaki you can generally expect around a dozen air elementals and a few hundred phantasms to be thrown at you. Titan of heaven seems to favor the old fog warriors + rain of stones these days.

This is in addition to the large numbers of spring hawks and whatever other garbage is around. Not very easy to take without significant losses for quite a while.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Definitely want a few Eyes of the Void to disappear the phantasms. A couple of thugs kitted with shock resistance, a vine shield, and a brand could make good on the Spring Hawks.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Eschatos posted:

This is why you always attack thrones once or twice with scouts to see what the mages are going to cast.

I just lost my expander pretender today since I didn't follow this advice :(

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Neruz posted:

Each Firebird triggers independently and each one has 2 stats. Every Firebird has a 2% chance to generate a random event every turn, and every Firebird has a 2% chance of making any random events that occur in their province good.

So if you have 50 Firebirds in your cap at the start of each turn you get 50 2% chances each rolled separately for a random event and if any random events happen in the cap it rolls another 50 2% chances to see if the event is forced to be good or is totally random.
This is from a few pages back, but here's the way I see it:
  • Each firebird has a 2% chance to generate an event, so the probability of an event happening is the complement of none of the firebirds successfully generating an event. Since each bird is rolled separately, the probability is 1 - (0.98^50).
  • Since there can only be one random event per province per turn (right?), the math is simpler, since we don't need to account for combinations of several events. We'll assume that exactly one event either occurs or doesn't.
  • The probability of an event being good due to the birds' influence is the same as above, the complement of none of them doing their thing correctly: (1-(.98^50))
  • The combined probability is just the product of these two events both happening (at least one bird triggers an event, at least one bird successfully makes it a good event): (1-(.98^50)) * (1-(.98^50)). This gives 0.404, or a 40.4% chance for a good event.
Can someone here who knows basic statistics check my math?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
As far as I know there is no maximum number of events per province per turn, if there is a maximum it is more than 9 as 9 is the most I've ever seen in test games. Ergo your math doesn't matter because you have based it on a flawed premise.

If there is a maximum I would guess it's probably arbitrarily high, though I guess if someone really wants to they could try putting a few thousand firebirds in a province and see what happens.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Neruz posted:

Ergo your math doesn't matter because illwinter has based dom 4 on a flawed premise.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

gently caress math spam everything remove magic destroy the sinners and purge the unclean pd pd p dp dp dpdpdpdppdppdpdp :unsmigghh:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Marshmallow Trick is a good game. My snake god got killed by hill wizard steve hiding in some slingers on turn 4 and this just popped up in my cap.

Guess I know what that throne is now! Will report back once it generates frozen lands. :suicide:

:suicide::suicide::suicide:

minus thirty percent income forever once it gets to cold 3. it's turn 7 btw.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 26, 2015

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Kitfox88 posted:

gently caress math spam everything remove magic destroy the sinners and purge the unclean pd pd p dp dp dpdpdpdppdppdpdp :unsmigghh:

Ron Paul, King of the Golden Hall, Lord of Wealth, Patron of Libertarianism, has claimed the Austrian Throne.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

:suicide::suicide::suicide:

minus thirty percent income forever once it gets to cold 3. it's turn 7 btw.

You won a game as Abysia. Now the game has come back for its vengeance.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well that definitely confirms that the event limit is arbitrarily high if it exists at all.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Celestial Rainbow meta?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Waldmeister has finally ended with a victory for me as TNN! Here are some graphs

I had a fairly quiet early game where i rolled over nearby Xibalba without any effort because poor Xibalba cant really deal with W9 Tuatha warriors, then i took over machaka who tried to warn me off with flaming arrows the same turn i researched arrow fend. I rushed them due to scouting showing Machaka to have little to nothing to fight me on top of the throne of fire which when combined with my water throne made my sacreds incredibly scary + opened up fire as a path for me.

My empire then sort of neatly wrapped around Fomoria who id been friendly with up until that point, i was debating attacking Abysia because the thought of a blood astral power in the lategame wasnt too tempting but both of us had set ourselves up to be impossible to invade with a sort of unofficial NAP, the amount of rivers and mountains between us meant that either attacking side was at a major disadvantage so i just cloud trapezed a shitton of mages into Fomoria.

During this Helheim eventually agreed to try help Fomoria against me but came far too late and we fought a bunch of one sided battles where i killed some queens and then they went AI same as Fomoria.

My eventual expansion into Fomoria, Helheim and Marveni after losing outcrops of Vanheim and Arcosephale.

The Gods of Waldmeister

Eventually it was me vs Abysia with a bunch of AIs, i should note that Rlyeh did more or less nothing the entire game and then AI'd out, we only ever fought a single battle 2 turns before i won despite having our capitals within 1 province of each other. Abysia eventually put up astral corruption like i feared and started dispelling my globals, id been mass summoning troops + forging as many things as possible beforehand so this didnt really matter all that much to me. I had fairly large armies spread across the entire world rapidly expanding into AI territory as well as mages loaded up with gems for elemental summons to solo them. With no other players there was no lategame diplomacy and it made the entire affair very quiet with me ignoring horror attacks to simply rushdown thrones that hadnt been taken or were only forted up with palisades. The only worry i had endgame was a former kitfox fort that had maxxed out defences but fortunately i had so many great eagles, wall shakers and gate cleavers that i smashed in the gate the same turn i took the province. Forging artifacts actually turned out to be pretty important for me, key ones were doppelganger amulet to sneak around my dragon and avoid horrors and what thrones i was headed for, sword of injustice for convenient throne capping any place i had a Ri or Sidhe lord and flying boat to get big armies to the thrones as quickly as possible for the seige when AC got up making cloud trapeze a no-no.

The final worldmap.

Yotsuyu Yagiyama wins~

LordLeckie fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 27, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Research is overrated, Kitfox vindicated.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Research is overrated, Kitfox vindicated.

Given how top heavy research is in dom4 the graph kinda doesnt really show it but i have 9 conj and then 8 in everything but blood so i have more or less all the tools i wanted.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LordLeckie posted:

Given how top heavy research is in dom4 the graph kinda doesnt really show it but i have 9 conj and then 8 in everything but blood so i have more or less all the tools i wanted.

Yeah, generally by the end of game, most of your mages should be running around doing poo poo, not doing research. Also someone with level 9 in everything would probably have a flat line in that graph, regardless of how many mages he really has. :v:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Libluini posted:

Yeah, generally by the end of game, most of your mages should be running around doing poo poo, not doing research. Also someone with level 9 in everything would probably have a flat line in that graph, regardless of how many mages he really has. :v:

Yeah Arco maxxed out and funnily enough the AI ended up helping me by hurting an Abysian army a little in the lategame which was a nice suprise.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
What're good tactics for killing Bogus and company? He just took one of my cap circle provinces

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Enjoy posted:

What're good tactics for killing Bogus and company? He just took one of my cap circle provinces

Enslave them and use their horribly broken commander orders on all your commanders?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Enslave them and use their horribly broken commander orders on all your commanders?
That right there is some 3.99b-grade advice.

The 'right' way is basically just to have some good troops and treat them like a normal really lovely-to-take province which happens to have a flying guy who attacks your commanders in it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

beat him to the punch and fight him with units that have no eyes in the first place so he can't shoot them out

it's simple, really

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Enjoy posted:

Go AI and let the AI kill him on the next turn with your 100 pikeneers

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
What kind of broken orders do they have?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Harrower posted:

What kind of broken orders do they have?

fire commander

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Yeah that's pretty broken.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I don't think you can steal the fire commander order anymore; I recall it being mentioned in patch notes.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Is it good advice to always go with at least luck 1?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

go with misfortune 3 that's like 120 free points or something

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Luck apparently synergizes very well with Magic, and if I have points left after getting magic+the gold scales I want I'll put bump it up to 1. Otherwise I never touch it.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
luck synergizes well with everything thats not order. the best events come at luck3 death 3

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

jsoh posted:

luck synergizes well with everything thats not order. the best events come at luck3 death 3

I looked at the events list a while back, and if I'm reading it correctly there's only one good event comes from specifically Luck 3 Death 3. It is a pretty good event though. There's another good one in Death 1 Luck 1, I believe.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

It actually works great with order, too. You get a lot of high-gold events, and even though the random event chance is slightly reduced, the quality of them makes up for it.

D3L3 is probably not worth it ever as a 'stock' choice, unless you're one of the heavy domkill nations (so not Asphodel) who gets a jillion pretender points and needs all the gold and gems it can randomly obtain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I just like having 1 luck since it prevents the "province rebelled lol" event.

• Locked thread