Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

StuG Jeebus posted:

Okay, and yes, good god yes.

Can you elaborate at all? What did you do to work around it? I need to hear more about what it's like to actually play since I won't be able to until next weekend at the earliest. :(

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Imagined posted:

Can you elaborate at all? What did you do to work around it? I need to hear more about what it's like to actually play since I won't be able to until next weekend at the earliest. :(

We frequently had to move multiple squadrons out of the way to make room for the template. There are rules for when a capital ship ends up on top of fighters, but they really shouldn't be moving if just the template crosses them. At least in X-wing you have the straight 1 and 2 if you need to temporarily move a ship and place it back exactly where it was, Armada doesn't have anything like that. We basically just resorted to using our fingers to mark where the fighters should be while we placed the maneuver template, but will that fly in a tournament?

Capital ships weren't as much of an issue because the Star Destroyer annihilates the rebel ships before they can close anyway.

Any other questions you have?

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 27, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

Page 1 under Play Surfaces, second paragraph.

OK I've been looking at an older file. Hahaha what the gently caress :psyduck:

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Like I said, it won't be enforced, and they changed it anyways, the TO can provide mats however they want. If you bring your own has to be FFG. Much more sensible, but again, your average store isn't going to change how they do things so who cares?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

pbpancho posted:

I played imps both times and won handily, but I could also point to a bunch of mistakes my opponent made, so hard to say. Next time I'll try Rebels.

I played one round as Imps, one as Rebels. Won both times. I wasn't going to win as Imps, but my opponent planned poorly and flew his Nebulon-B off the play area. The second round as Rebels was a lot closer, and I won it by a margin of about 15 points. It'll be a while before I get a feel for balance, but it seems solid right now.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

StuG Jeebus posted:

We frequently had to move multiple squadrons out of the way to make room for the template. There are rules for when a capital ship ends up on top of fighters, but they really shouldn't be moving if just the template crosses them. At least in X-wing you have the straight 1 and 2 if you need to temporarily move a ship and place it back exactly where it was, Armada doesn't have anything like that. We basically just resorted to using our fingers to mark where the fighters should be while we placed the maneuver template, but will that fly in a tournament?

Capital ships weren't as much of an issue because the Star Destroyer annihilates the rebel ships before they can close anyway.

I solved this by NOT putting the 0 ruler on the ship, if the ship is moving 2, then put the end of it on the ship, so the 2 link, this way it only extends out as far as the ship is moving and doesnt overlap a bunch of stuff.

Ive played a couple games and like it a lot, its very different from X-wing which is good, they dont replace each other and can target different audiences. Personally I like Armada more than X-Wing.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
loving Amazon Germany deleted my pre-order for 2 packs at 60 euros, claiming they will not get the item!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

I solved this by NOT putting the 0 ruler on the ship, if the ship is moving 2, then put the end of it on the ship, so the 2 link, this way it only extends out as far as the ship is moving and doesnt overlap a bunch of stuff.

Ive played a couple games and like it a lot, its very different from X-wing which is good, they dont replace each other and can target different audiences. Personally I like Armada more than X-Wing.

That is clever as hell and will definitely copy it.
I'm feelin' kind of ambivalent after a few games, and I think a lot of that is because of just how convoluted it feels compared to X-wing. That's not a complaint mind you, just upscaling the X-wing rules with bigger ships would have been a mistake.
I do want to give it more time, (and another $120) and am pretty confident that it will improve with more ships.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

the panacea posted:

loving Amazon Germany deleted my pre-order for 2 packs at 60 euros, claiming they will not get the item!

Amazon UK deleted mine, loving wastrels and hucksters.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

HidaO-Win posted:

Amazon UK deleted mine, loving wastrels and hucksters.

Already wrote an angry FB post and got a response. Maybe they will honor it. :getin:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Amazon US has it in stock... to do fulfillment for a different seller

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Amazon US has it in stock... to do fulfillment for a different seller

Yeah this is utter bullshit. The thing is they actually lowered the preorder price on amazon.de before Christmas and kept it at that price til Feb. My original order also stated a release in May 2015 so it`s not even delayed.

I would be ok with them claiming a pricing error and not honouring the original price, but this cancellation because "we will not get any" makes me unreasonably angry.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

the panacea posted:

Already wrote an angry FB post and got a response. Maybe they will honor it. :getin:

Where did you post that did any good? I'm interested in action that might actually achieve something.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

StuG Jeebus posted:

The Corvette is definitely super fragile if it ends up in 2 arcs at once at close range, but the Nebulon is fairly sturdy and has lots of long range red dice. My wife and I played a match with the example fleet from the website and Rebels won handily. X-Wings are nasty little fuckers, especially Luke. The Corvette just evaporated in two turns, since I left it in close and it couldn't use the evades at all.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So as excited as i am for Armada to arrive i really don't like the idea that it's like X-Wing where you really need to get 2 core sets to get everything you need to really start getting seroius. Especially at it's starting price point.

No chance the extra add on ships will come with stuff for a second player huh? :(

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So as excited as i am for Armada to arrive i really don't like the idea that it's like X-Wing where you really need to get 2 core sets to get everything you need to really start getting seroius. Especially at it's starting price point.

No chance the extra add on ships will come with stuff for a second player huh? :(

The only stuff missing is convenience. The only thing in the core set that you don't have enough of right off the bat is some extra dice and possibly some upgrade cards depending on what comes in the expansion sets. A bunch of the upgrades available are unique crew and titles right now, so if they stuff an extra copy of the others in the wave 1 boxes there's really no reason to buy two sets.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
My FLGS got my Armada core preorder in and I was able to play a quick starter game. I really like the system: I was a little worried that it would be overcomplicated after watching some previews but it was quick and fun.

I played as Rebels and got completely blown up, but I think it was more a lack of skill than Empire being OP. I do think Empire is easier to play with the core set, though: point the Victory class in the direction of the enemy and try to keep that forward arc on them. The corvette was awesome, and I was able to zoom into his SD's rear arc but I should have slowed down once I got back there. Instead I kept my speed and had to circle around again where I got vaporized. My Nebulon B didn't fare very well, but I wasn't really sure on what to do with it. X wings rule and eat TIE fighters for lunch: I got him down to one squadron while only losing one myself, but he did tie them up before they could put the hurt on his VSD.
I can't wait to see what throwing in upgrades and objectives does, but I think FFG has a very strong game on their hands. Total blast to play.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Coolstuff delivered my order today!! Wooooo

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The fighter stands needed some filing before they'd all go together. Anyone else having Armada hardware QA problems?

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

A decent number of my Tie Fighters have warped panels, and my ship cards are bent.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Played rebels tonight at 400pts, the FFG dice app is so worth it for this, especially with the crazy amounts of dice that stuff like the ISD or Wedge can roll. Really enjoying it still, we played a full game, objectives and all. Very different from X-Wing like others have said (and I've played just shy of 400 games of that).

the panacea
May 10, 2008

HidaO-Win posted:

Where did you post that did any good? I'm interested in action that might actually achieve something.

I posted on their Facebook page and got a reply in 20 minutes and a call after filling out a form. On a Sunday!

I didn't mention the specific product and wrote about how they are clearly trying to sidestep their own, self enforced Pre order price guarantee.

Currently no result as they claim that they won't get any from the publisher. I'll wait and once they have it (previous incidents like this point to 4-6 weeks) I'll post on their FB again and try to get my original orders filled.

In the meantime I'll support my local little neckbeard shop.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Madurai posted:

The fighter stands needed some filing before they'd all go together. Anyone else having Armada hardware QA problems?

Are you sure you're inserting them right? My buddy had lots of problems with assembling the fighters, but he didn't see the flat part of the base. Once we realized the stands could only go into the base one way, it was easy(arrow should point toward the flat part of the hole in the base).

Most TIEs are warped though :/

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Zerf posted:

Are you sure you're inserting them right? My buddy had lots of problems with assembling the fighters, but he didn't see the flat part of the base. Once we realized the stands could only go into the base one way, it was easy(arrow should point toward the flat part of the hole in the base).

Most TIEs are warped though :/

Some fit fine, some had bits of flash that I had to trim off.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
It's been a few years, did X-Wing have some quality issues with the very first run?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Is there a rule in Armada for flying your ships off the play area? I couldn't find it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

In X-Wing we always justified going off the board deaths as some kind of anti ship turbo laser from the omniscient capital ships that targets ships that try to get away from fighting.

But since the capital ships are actually in the fighting in Armada we can't use that excuse.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

In X-Wing we always justified going off the board deaths as some kind of anti ship turbo laser from the omniscient capital ships that targets ships that try to get away from fighting.

But since the capital ships are actually in the fighting in Armada we can't use that excuse.
You just aren't thinking big enough :q:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

"Your star destroy flies off into the darkness of space. It is eaten by a grue."

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Imperial Assault question: What is the Empire supposed to do to make "Sympathy for the Rebellion" even slightly challenging?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Randalor posted:

"Your star destroy flies off into the darkness of space. It is eaten by a grue."

The stars destroyed died on the way back to its home planet.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

One of the flaws of both game systems is that they have no allowance for retreat.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Madurai posted:

One of the flaws of both game systems is that they have no allowance for retreat.

I assume it's for tournament reasons. If they did, the moment you lost the right amount of points and didn't think you'd come back, you'd just retreat just to deny points. Imagine that happening at Worlds.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

FuSchnick posted:

Imperial Assault question: What is the Empire supposed to do to make "Sympathy for the Rebellion" even slightly challenging?

Is that the one in which the two sides compete to pull civilians off the board? Our rebels won it, but I remember it being pretty close.

Madurai posted:

There's a case for this in Armada, but X-wing? Part of the reason X-wing is so great is it's simplicity and I'm kinda glad it doesn't waste time on rules for fleeing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Madurai posted:

Retreat? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

AndyElusive posted:

:boom:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

"We won't get another chance at this, Admiral."

farfidnuggin
May 9, 2009
I played my first game of Armada with a friend - it was certainly something. I rolled Imperial but miscalculated my opening two rounds with the Rebel scum catching me in a pincer with his faster ships. My Ties cleaned up the X-Wings, but I took heavy casualties.

Poor command planning and most unfortunate die rolls on my part left me at low health, but not before crippling the Nebulon frigate. I wasn't able to get good shots in from my Star Destroyer's front arc, and when I did I never rolled accuracy so go bogged down in defenses. Round 6 rolls around and the Rebel had the initiative. Had it been me, a clutch engineering command would have set me up up to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. I was attempting to lose the Rebel in an asteroid field, hoping to he wouldn't risk it. The swine rammed me with his frigate, ending on an asteroid field, destroying both his ship and mine in the process - leaving him with a Blockade Runner and the victory. A rematch is in order.

Observations: The maneuver tool does in fact get wonky with the hot mess of squadrons. Starting your move from further down the tool does help out, as does swapping squadrons with tokens as necessary. Planning 3 dials down is tricky and definitely encourages use of command tokens to alleviate some of the "poo poo why did I issue a squadron command? I need maneuvering!" I believe, had I not played so poorly, I could have destroyed my opponent - but there are plenty more games ahead for vengeance.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So kamikaze frigates are how I should play Armada, is what I'm getting from that battle report.

Are there any EU race of aliens that are into ritual suicide through void combat that would join the rebellion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
So, uh...Any list building apps made for Armada and/or Imperial Assault? I'm a big baby and don't like just using a calculator.