Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Lars Von Trier should do the live action Evangelion adaptation :q:

And have it be a hard R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd prefer Paul Verhoeven just to piss off everyone.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Under the vegetable posted:

It's weird but I really don't get the impression he expected to have the fanbase he has. Most of the people I've spoken to who love EVA seem to almost entirely miss the point of the series and are full of criticism like "Shinji is a pussy" or "why is Asuka such a bitch" or the usual dumb stuff like that, and only like it because of the cool fights and angel designs, and how "crazy" it gets.

Most people I've seen say that kind of stuff hate Evangelion, though. I agree those opinions are really annoying, though. Shinji's English voice actor even calls Shinji a wimp. Like, how can a character you play fly over your head so much?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

And have it be a hard R.

Michael Bay would be too obvious huh.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Something something Pacific Rim :v:

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

And have it be a hard R.

Beg pardon?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

A surprising amount of people watch the Super Bowl every year and learn about the teams involved enough to fake conversation for that very reason.

Case in point, there was a huge backlash recently when Canadian TV replaced the US Super Bowl Ads with Canada-relevant ones.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

i am tim! posted:

Case in point, there was a huge backlash recently when Canadian TV replaced the US Super Bowl Ads with Canada-relevant ones.

How recent are you talking about? I've been in Canada for over five years and maybe I didn't try to watch every year, but I thought it was always like that.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Ah, actually quite the opposite happened. I must admit I had only seen the headlines while reading about the new CRTC changes regarding TV packages, but according to this Globe and Mail article it's the Canadian TV Industry that provided the backlash to new rules that effectively prohibits the replacement of Super Bowl commercials in Canada.

EDIT: Still, this is after years of complaints from people that they can't see the superbowl ads live, so hopefully the point stands!

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 28, 2015

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Jsor posted:

Ross' Game Dungeon has a new episode. Ross has thought way too much exactly the right amount about how cults work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnkqdMS1LkE

I freaking love this series. He's not shy about saying what's good, so when he gets genuinely mad, it means more.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BigRed0427 posted:

Do you mind if I ask why you don't like the show? Just curious.

If it's because Shinji is a whiny baby who does nothing, well it's because of that why he is one of my favorite... I won't say hero cause what's a hero. Shinji Asuka and Rei all suffer from depression and try and deal with it in different ways. (And fail) Shinji ultimately is a huge mess because he hates himself and has no sense of who he is as a person. I always interpreted the final two episodes as Shinji realizing that if he ever wants a healthy relationship with anyone he has to learn to love himself first. Plus It's never to late to change. Even in the face of the apocalypse.

I always found comfort in that :)

Another poster sorta summed up my feelings to an extent:

I did the same thing until a friend of mine basically forced me to watch NGE and I ended up loving it and thinking it was the best anime I'd ever seen at the time. I also started thinking a vast majority of its fans like it for the wrong reasons. It's a pretty great study of mental illness, anxiety, and depression, within the framework of a shonen super robot show. Some of the most realistically written characters I've seen in an anime. It does a lot of presenting characters and situations that you're sort of conditioned to reflexively form opinions on based on stereotypes of the genre originated by go nagai and tomino and stuff, the giant semi-mystical robot, the silent mysterious magic girl, etc, and subverts them from the very beginning.

I got the vibe that I wasn't supposed to like the show or the characters per se and take it as a criticism of the mecha animes and the fans of them. After watching it I've always found it odd seeing the amount of official merchandise for the show sexualizing Rei and Asuka for that very reason. I do think there's some really pretentious poo poo in there like the elevator scene and when Shinji is holding Kaworu while classical music plays and of course the last two episodes where they had at best a shoestring budget. I think I would have genuinely 'liked' the show better if I saw it in highschool like a lot of people seem to have when I was around Shinji's age and was hosed up, had daddy issues, was bad around girls, potentially sexually confused, etc. I honestly don't even hate Shinji like most people seem to and found him sympathetic as a person. It's a complicated thing to explain my feelings on, really. As I said earlier I think I was supposed to dislike a lot of the show and see it as a really cynical criticism of a lot of things while also explaining depression and the like, especially in teenagers. It's not supposed to be fun to watch and you're not suppose to really enjoy what you're seeing a lot of the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mainly the complaints about superbowl commercials blocked in canada comes from our Telecommunications companies being complete twats who complain about not enough people watching Canadian content. Except most of our homegrown shows are garbage.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Shinji is a lovely, awful person and I identify more with him than any other fictional character.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Shinji reminds me of Colden from Catcher in the Rye, in the fact that I find it easy to laugh at them. I'm sorry but I just can't really take either of them seriously when their mishaps are like Loony Toons gags to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I should clarify that I feel you shouldn't completely dismiss people who dislike EVA based on their opinion of the characters. Hating Shinji for being a whiny bitch or Asuka for being a petulant rear end in a top hat who abuses everyone around her might be the point, but intentionally lovely characters are still lovely. It's a relevant criticism of the show if you find the characters so hateful and pathetic that you can't continue watching. It just means you have basic human empathy.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

DStecks posted:

Shinji is a lovely, awful person and I identify more with him than any other fictional character.

It's kinda understandable why he turned out that way though and It's kinda neat that he's basically the opposite of most protagonists in a mecha anime.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 28, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It's kinda understandable why he turned out that way though and It's kinda neat that he's basically the opposite of most protagonists in a mecha anime.

Yeah, Shini is probably what would happen if you would put a child or teenager in charge of saving the world.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

e X posted:

Yeah, Shini is probably what would happen if you would put a child or teenager in charge of saving the world.

Yeah, I mean I still hate the kid but then again I'm probably supposed to.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, I mean I still hate the kid but then again I'm probably supposed to.

As I rambled on above that's my feelings about the show overall in a nutshell.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
EVA's problem is kind of that it is far more popular than the works it references. Kind of like Watchmen.

No question you can enjoy it on its own, but the message probably resonates more if you are actually familiar with the character Shinji is based on. But since Eva is probably the most popular mecha anime out there, for a lot of people, it probably was the very first thing they saw. So, its not really that strange that people latch on to Shinji and want him to be a more conventional hero. Kind of like a lot of people latched on to Rorschach because he has all the markings of a badass antihero.

The show isn't the coping stone of an entire genre for you, but your starting point, so you have very different expectations from it and are naturally disappointed when that doesn't come to fruition, so you start to empathize the elements that its drew from the show you actually wanted to watch.

e X fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 28, 2015

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I should clarify that I feel you shouldn't completely dismiss people who dislike EVA based on their opinion of the characters. Hating Shinji for being a whiny bitch or Asuka for being a petulant rear end in a top hat who abuses everyone around her might be the point, but intentionally lovely characters are still lovely. It's a relevant criticism of the show if you find the characters so hateful and pathetic that you can't continue watching. It just means you have basic human empathy.

This basically describes me. I think I watched ten or twelve episodes before I couldn't keep watching anymore.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Eva kind of have a pulp fiction effect on anime? After it came out you started to see drivitives to it, in Eva's case it was shoes that were trying to deep and philosophical. Ergo Proxy and Elfin Laid stick out as the worst examples of that.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Eva kind of have a pulp fiction effect on anime? After it came out you started to see drivitives to it, in Eva's case it was shoes that were trying to deep and philosophical. Ergo Proxy and Elfin Laid stick out as the worst examples of that.

Can't say I've ever heard of those shows being derivatives of EVA. Only one I know for sure is Rahxephon, which follows EVA's beats so close that in a Super Robot Wars game with both series, both plots flowed together perfectly.

I could never bring myself to hate EVA characters. They're so incredibly hosed up it makes it fun to watch for me. Then again, I'm an extremely big EVA fanboy so yeah...

In other news, Moviebob decides to take a deep long look at Ghostbusters as a metaphor for science vs religion and killing God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPoILjs6BYI

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

TheMaestroso posted:

This basically describes me. I think I watched ten or twelve episodes before I couldn't keep watching anymore.

Stick with it. It's worth seeing through to the end despite all the bullshit. I will say that I absolutely loved episodes 18 and 19 of the series although it went off a pretty big cliff for me after that.

Archer666 posted:

In other news, Moviebob decides to take a deep long look at Ghostbusters as a metaphor for science vs religion and killing God.

Is there any reason I should spend thirty-seven minutes listening to this chucklefuck?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Ghostbusters is actually a reaganite argument for de-regulation.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Tracula posted:

Stick with it. It's worth seeing through to the end despite all the bullshit. I will say that I absolutely loved episodes 18 and 19 of the series although it went off a pretty big cliff for me after that.

Is there any reason I should spend thirty-seven minutes listening to this chucklefuck?

Its interesting to watch how a man's politics and beliefs color his world. Almost everything in that vid is obvious baggage that he brought to the movie and not what was actually intended by the makers.

But if you want to be entertained/learn something, avoid this.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm not sure Elfen Lied was a direct reference to Eva, but yeah Evangelion had a significant impact on anime and to a lesser extent mecha anime. In a very direct way we probably wouldn't have gotten shows like Fafner and RahXephon without Evangelion as both of them take really significant inspiration from Eva (Especially Fafner). On the other hand I really liked both Fafner and RahXephon, they're good and they don't spend their time necessarily retreading the same paths and plots of Evangelion.

As for Evangelion proper I've always said you should understand Shinji more than you should like him. He's not particularly likeable, but at the same time I find him sympathetic. If you simply can't stand him then in a weird way I think the writing did it's job.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

EVA and RahXephon were different for me. I disliked EVA until the ending (of the series) which I enjoyed but I don't care for the show as a whole. I liked RahXephon until the ending, which was dumb and out of nowhere and broke my brain but I still kind of like the show as a whole.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 28, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RahXephon is more Raideen than Eva anyways, just with a heaping helping of classical music inspiration. Mind you, enough music focus that music is to it as religion is to eva, but still. Though how the ending came out of nowhere confuses me, given the main character's name and what it drew inspiration from.

This anime talk has gone on forever though, so have some canadians talking about Space Cop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0hLvkA5eVE

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm not sure why so many nerds think they want an Evangelion movie. Because no studio is ever going to greenlight a $100M arthouse flick about depression with an Asian cast and a hard R rating that climaxes with a 30 minute therapy session after every human being is killed; and if you compromise any of those things, why are you even making an EVA movie?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

e X posted:

EVA's problem is kind of that it is far more popular than the works it references. Kind of like Watchmen.

No question you can enjoy it on its own, but the message probably resonates more if you are actually familiar with the character Shinji is based on. But since Eva is probably the most popular mecha anime out there, for a lot of people, it probably was the very first thing they saw. So, its not really that strange that people latch on to Shinji and want him to be a more conventional hero. Kind of like a lot of people latched on to Rorschach because he has all the markings of a badass antihero.

The show isn't the coping stone of an entire genre for you, but your starting point, so you have very different expectations from it and are naturally disappointed when that doesn't come to fruition, so you start to empathize the elements that its drew from the show you actually wanted to watch.

I think the only real problem with comparing the two is that Watchmen came from a place of examining what sort of people would choose to be superheroes of their own freewill, whereas in Eva no one is in control of their own lives. No one in the show is how a normal person would react to piloting a giant robot, because literally no one in the show is a normal person. They are all profoundly broken people either from trauma or preexisting mental illness. I have difficulty relating to them because I've never had clinical depression, trauma in line with finding my parent's recently dead corpse, or anything of the like coloring my childhood. Eva is not asking normal people to save the world, it's asking people who should be getting psych help every day to save the world. Showing me that these people are incapable of robot piloting is no more profound than showing me a man with no arms repeatedly failing to contribute to a basketball game.

That all said the last two episodes were excellent television.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
RahXephon was just a gritty reboot of Raideen with some obvious do-not-steal characters. As for Fafner, Secret Organization vs. aliens is not an Eva thing. It's just generic.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

DStecks posted:

I'm not sure why so many nerds think they want an Evangelion movie. Because no studio is ever going to greenlight a $100M arthouse flick about depression with an Asian cast and a hard R rating that climaxes with a 30 minute therapy session after every human being is killed; and if you compromise any of those things, why are you even making an EVA movie?

That's why I made that joke, you basically just described a von Trier movie. With an Asian cast.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

PresidentBeard posted:

I think the only real problem with comparing the two is that Watchmen came from a place of examining what sort of people would choose to be superheroes of their own freewill, whereas in Eva no one is in control of their own lives. No one in the show is how a normal person would react to piloting a giant robot, because literally no one in the show is a normal person. They are all profoundly broken people either from trauma or preexisting mental illness. I have difficulty relating to them because I've never had clinical depression, trauma in line with finding my parent's recently dead corpse, or anything of the like coloring my childhood. Eva is not asking normal people to save the world, it's asking people who should be getting psych help every day to save the world. Showing me that these people are incapable of robot piloting is no more profound than showing me a man with no arms repeatedly failing to contribute to a basketball game.

That all said the last two episodes were excellent television.

I didn't mean their content, I meant their impact. Both were a kind of reckoning with their respective genres and as a result, work best when you are deeply familiar with said genres, but because they are also both massively popular, they are often the first thing someone might experience when they try to get into these genres.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

A good poster posted:

How recent are you talking about? I've been in Canada for over five years and maybe I didn't try to watch every year, but I thought it was always like that.

Pretty sure that's just CRTC regulations: if there's a Canadian feed of event X then the US channels showing the same thing have to show the Canadian feed, ads and all. I think that only came to the forefront more recently as the hype over the ads increased, or it might have been way back there wasn't a Canadian-licensed feed, just the US network feed.

It made things extra painful to watch not because of missing the ads, but because the ads were sometimes the same two ads over and over again for the entire show. No blockbuster ads, just https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsJqtERIFw on loop for three straight hours.It may have not been that specific one, but one year there was nothing but ads of that level of production quality for that product.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I've found that reading the replies for SFDebris reviews on Channel Awesome tend toward amazing. Never before would I have thought DS9 was the worst Trek, with a distinct lack of characters. Among the reasons the characters suck is "Kieko's blatant feminism". Also Ferengi not being 100% about profit all day every day is apparently dumb.

It's a view into an alternate universe of near complete wrongness.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Channel Awesome's comments and forums have always been full of terrible. Go for the videos, just don't scroll down on them.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Archer666 posted:

He doesn't cut his audio too close together anymore, probably a result of the relaxed time requirements. Even so, he could (should) kill the run-on sentences.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Hobo By Design posted:

He doesn't cut his audio too close together anymore, probably a result of the relaxed time requirements. Even so, he could (should) kill the run-on sentences.

Agreed, and that bit at the end could have used a few less "Ghostbusters is..." lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Hostly, the idea for the show is great. there are so many shows dedicated to ripping things apart, having one grounded in positivity is a nice change of pace. I also thing he raises a lot of interesting points, e.g. the science vs religion thing. I know that atheism on the Internet has a bad rep thanks to the angry white teenagers, but he does presents the argument pretty well. The whole part on why kids latched onto Ghostbuster does seems to be a lot like projection though, I agree. Which isn't necessarily bad, just kind of at odds with the more general tone of the rest of the video.

• Locked thread