Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

What the poo poo, I thought they fixed that ages ago.
It's intentional. They're a mix of the hilarious defensive bonuses of poop-pagans and actual good retinues, events and effects of Norse/tengri pagans, in addition to having ultimo and actual lands that are not crap, even if you have to revoke the two bastard vassals to finally get good culture/religion lands, so they nixed them having raiding as well I guess.

Really, just change the loving Egyptian holy site and it's fine. It's so really, really dumb that it sorta hurts my brain thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's intentional. They're a mix of the hilarious defensive bonuses of poop-pagans and actual good retinues, events and effects of Norse/tengri pagans, in addition to having ultimo and actual lands that are not crap, even if you have to revoke the two bastard vassals to finally get good culture/religion lands, so they nixed them having raiding as well I guess.

Really, just change the loving Egyptian holy site and it's fine. It's so really, really dumb that it sorta hurts my brain thinking about it.

There is no more perfect city for Zunists than Heliopolis :colbert:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

No, change Baghdad to something else in India or Persia. The Caliph will fight to the loving death to keep Baghdad (understandably), but will not give a poo poo about something like Hormuz.

Heliopolis is way too good as a joke holy site.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I loving did it, touchdown game!

I made it to 1453 :smug:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What happens when you import obscure religions into EUIV, like Zun?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Playing vanilla Novgorod, this seems pretty tough?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Depends on if they're reformed or not. Unreformed becomes "Shaman" or "Animist", and the reformed pagans and zoroastrians are implemented (even Tengrii).

E: Unfortunately you can't get 'chievements in modded EU IV (as converted games count as modded games) so I won't be doing a run of any converted games for some time.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 28, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Goofballs posted:

Where is a more fun place to play cause I'm kind of sick of Ireland after having started a few games there?

What's the fastest way to get a succession that isn't gavelkind because that seems to really gently caress me in the long term.

How do you develop your economy properly? The way it seems to go is I have fairly little cash on hand because of wars, feasting to keep the clowns sweet, various requests that pop up and so that I rarely get to upgrade stuff in town.

Would it be better to educate your own successor to have a handle on their traits or farm the job out to someone else? What I usually do is search same religion/culture for whoever has the highest diplomacy with reasonable other stats or martial if its for a brother or something and try to get them to do it.

Usually when I'm starting out for marriages I just pick whoever has the best stats are regardless of title because I want genius grey eminence kids. I get craven retards with a fondness for the bottle but I know odds are you get awesome successors. Would it be better to go for someone with a good rank in order to get their counties? That's what I think triggered the mass defection to England last time as I started experimenting. Though I got 2 of isolated counties of theirs out of it.

How do you get women on to the council? I bring in great stats characters when I get the chance but I can't women on the council is that different for other cultures?

Also say you are at war with someone because you fabricated a claim and you have taken over the joint except for them agreeing to your demands and they can't respond to you with armies but they refuse to concede defeat, can you conquer more territory and keep it? Is it beneficial to hunt down their troops so they get the point? Or should you just dismiss everyone and only reassemble if they manage to put an army together?

Also how often does the crazy poo poo happen. The craziest I've seen was the guy i controlled got syphilis, went mad and then declared his horse was chancellor. Practical effect I just had to pick a new chancellor.

-If you have the Old Gods, try Haesteinn of Nantes. Decently easy start with a strong military leader and a nearly-defenseless duchy to take over. You're an unreformed pagan next to the Karlings, though, so be careful. Otherwise, a vassal count or duke can be a good start, maybe somewhere in Italy. Just watch out for your liege raising crown authority to medium.

-To change succession law to something besides Gavelkind, you need to not be a tribal, not be an unreformed pagan, and have reined for at least ten years in your current primary title. That means if you've taken a duke title and say five years later you become a king, you need to wait ten years as that king to change the law. Also various other prerequisites, you can hover over something on each succession law to find out what. Usually it's happy vassals and a given level of Legalism tech.

-Unless you're pagan/tribal and can raid, economy is primarily a waiting game. Focus on your castle towns and anything that upgrades a vassal city's tax income. If you've got 20 years to spare, switch your taxation laws for cities and churches to High and their levy laws to minimal. You're getting crap levies from them anyway, and the two laws balance out. If you're a king, hand a county and duchy title to a mayor and he'll set up a merchant republic, which will eventually have you swimming in dosh. e: And stop throwing feasts.

-Always educate your heir yourself. The exception to this is if you have a terrible education trait that you don't want to pass on. In this case, educate him yourself until he's just about to turn 16 (For best control, wait until a few days before his birthday), then give him to another dude that has the education trait you want him to have.

-I'm not good at the marriage game yet, can't help you there.

-This has been answered, and I have nothing else to add.

-You won't get to keep it (Barring certain CBs), but you will probably have to take out more of their poo poo. You can sit back and wait if you don't mind just waiting for warscore to build (Conquered territory will gradually accumulate warscore as the war goes on), but sieging their capitol or chasing down their armies and wiping them out will usually help more in a shorter timeframe.

-It depends on how you play, but usually one decently crazy thing will happen in each ruler's lifetime, barring children stabbed in regency.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

As someone who expelled the jews as a mad king early in the game (and later welcomed them back) is there any benefit at all to doing that? Seems like a giant trap, because you randomly lose 50 tech points.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is Poland normally in permawinter >:c it is impossible to siege things with 20% attrition at ALL times

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Noyemi K posted:

As someone who expelled the jews as a mad king early in the game (and later welcomed them back) is there any benefit at all to doing that? Seems like a giant trap, because you randomly lose 50 tech points.

Money has a way bigger impact when you're small than 50 tech points ever will (which is a MTTH so not guaranteed to fire anyway). The problem is there's no real penalty not to do it

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

It's a move of desperation. I've done it a few times on purpose, but it's usually at a point when 50 extra tech points wouldn't help me anyways. 200 extra gold and wiping away your debt can be very handy in a pinch.

If you're dependent on mercenaries to win a war and your coffers are draining, kicking out the Jews can be very useful.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Its nearly mandatory to be a dick to the jews to make headway as a Karen Zoroastrian. Early game, a single company of mercs can let you dominate a regional war, and that 500 gold to pay for them is hard to get by without.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

It's a move of desperation. I've done it a few times on purpose, but it's usually at a point when 50 extra tech points wouldn't help me anyways. 200 extra gold and wiping away your debt can be very handy in a pinch.

If you're dependent on mercenaries to win a war and your coffers are draining, kicking out the Jews can be very useful.
Yea, Jew-gold to get the land and Jew-Exile to keep it after the first truce expires. After that if you can't hold it you suck anyhow.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

The Black Bishop achievement requires a Wicked Bishop to be elected Pope. Does anyone know if it can be achieved with a Fraticelli heresy Pope, or is it limited to a Catholic Pope?

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

verbal enema posted:

Is Poland normally in permawinter >:c it is impossible to siege things with 20% attrition at ALL times

You need military organization 4 to remove the pagan homeland attrition penalty, unless you are also an unreformed pagan yourself.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
WTf? How can the Caliph "subjugate" all my Arabian holdings in one fell swoop? What happens if I Surrender? Do I become his vassal or does he just steal all my lands?

I might beat him if I grab 2 mercs and rush him, but jesus this is loving idiotic, the Empire reaches all the way to Italy now and nothing seems capable of stopping it, even though the Caliph has had decadence in the mid 60s/70s for decades now.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

TITY BOI posted:

You need military organization 4 to remove the pagan homeland attrition penalty, unless you are also an unreformed pagan yourself.

No I mean like its winter 12 months a year

Unrelated home come if I grant someone emirate they go independent

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

WTf? How can the Caliph "subjugate" all my Arabian holdings in one fell swoop? What happens if I Surrender? Do I become his vassal or does he just steal all my lands?

I might beat him if I grab 2 mercs and rush him, but jesus this is loving idiotic, the Empire reaches all the way to Italy now and nothing seems capable of stopping it, even though the Caliph has had decadence in the mid 60s/70s for decades now.

CK2 wiki to the rescue:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Casus_Belli#Caliphal_Subjugation

Crusader Kings 2 wiki posted:

Once every 10 years, Muslim caliphs may attempt to subjugate a Muslim de jure kingdom of the same denomination. On success, the target's vassals in that kingdom (or target) become the attacker's vassals. If someone holds territory outside the target kingdom, they cannot be vassalized, so their titles within the target kingdom are usurped instead.

The truce lasts only 1 year. Despite this CB not usurping all occupied titles, the attacker will not accept early surrender. This may be a bug.

It's one of the main reasons the Abbasids are so scary, because they gobble up all the smaller Sunni kingdoms; and if they are especially strong/nobody interrupts them, they can absolutely take over the Umayyads in Spain as well.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Holy poo poo the Old Gods Abbasids are really toothless compared to the Charlemagne death factory.

Moreau posted:

The Black Bishop achievement requires a Wicked Bishop to be elected Pope. Does anyone know if it can be achieved with a Fraticelli heresy Pope, or is it limited to a Catholic Pope?

Heresies are bizarre as far as achievements go (don't stay Iconoclast if you want to get the Schism mended!) so limited to normal Catholic probably.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Old Gods start, somewhere, plus Sunset Invasion. Let's do this poo poo :getin:

On a related note, I don't understand the hate for Sunset Invasion. It's a really fun DLC and it makes playing Western Europe a lot less boring and predictable (unless you suck, in which case if you can't survive your neighbors, how could you have expected to survive the terror of Mesoamerica?)

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Noyemi K posted:

Depends on if they're reformed or not. Unreformed becomes "Shaman" or "Animist", and the reformed pagans and zoroastrians are implemented (even Tengrii).

E: Unfortunately you can't get 'chievements in modded EU IV (as converted games count as modded games) so I won't be doing a run of any converted games for some time.

It's all kind of moot since the last couple of times I've tried to use the converter I end up with weird stuff like all of India being Western tech and all the countries in Europe being called names like Z161 instead of, like, France.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

The weirdest thing I've gotten out of the converter is the presence of two Malis in africa. One is Mali with the Islamic tech group, and another is Mali with the EU4 flag... and also in the Muslim tech group. And is a vassal of Mali.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Noyemi K posted:

On a related note, I don't understand the hate for Sunset Invasion. It's a really fun DLC and it makes playing Western Europe a lot less boring and predictable (unless you suck, in which case if you can't survive your neighbors, how could you have expected to survive the terror of Mesoamerica?)

Only the retards from Paradox Plaza hate Sunset Invasion.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Torrannor posted:

It's one of the main reasons the Abbasids are so scary, because they gobble up all the smaller Sunni kingdoms; and if they are especially strong/nobody interrupts them, they can absolutely take over the Umayyads in Spain as well.
gently caress, I thought as much. I wouldn't have minded actually becoming a vassal, I shoulda done it earlier after gobbling up the good parts. gently caress, and I'd just gotten a Mirza heir, when the mercs made me run out of money and I, Like an idiot, thought that just having 2k less dudes and defending might work.

Shoulda waited and white peaced, then swore fealty. loving hindsight.

Funky Valentine posted:

Only the retards from Paradox Plaza hate Sunset Invasion.
[Neckbeard voice]
But it's a-historical!!!

Honestly, the fact that they whined so much is a huge drat bummer, because I'd have killed for more a-historical things, like mixed up-set ups, like a "Years of Salt and Rice", Shiite Europe or just random culture/religion counties. Mods sorta help but it's still really annoying.
Alas.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

It's a fun little addon, but sometimes it can be annoying if you forgot to turn it off in a game you didn't want it in. I wrote a mod for myself so I can turn it on or off myself from inside the game from the decision menu to solve that little problem though.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I never play with sunset invasion on because the last time I played in western Europe was when the game first came out. I like it theoretically though, at least the game play part, the ahistoricity does kinda bother me when I'm playing outside of WE, I like to see things play out semi historically when I'm on the outside looking in.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

I never play with sunset invasion on because the last time I played in western Europe was when the game first came out. I like it theoretically though, at least the game play part, the ahistoricity does kinda bother me when I'm playing outside of WE, I like to see things play out semi historically when I'm on the outside looking in.
The moment you start the game, ahistory happens.

This is why in the game I'm talking about now there's a Sunni Tribal Visigoth helping the Umms eat into the British Isles.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
When I grant an emirate they immediately gain independence. Why?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

The moment you start the game, ahistory happens.

That's the defining reason I play PDS strategy :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

verbal enema posted:

When I grant an emirate they immediately gain independence. Why?

Are you an emir yourself? You can't have vassals of the same rank, only kings/sultans and emperors/badshahs can have dukes/emirs as vassals.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Noyemi K posted:

That's the defining reason I play PDS strategy :allears:

Yeah, this seems to be the point, really. One of my very first complete games of CK2 involved a Cathar Byzantine empire by way of Ireland.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I didn't buy SI because I'm not a huge fan of how horde invasions work in CK2 and being unable to avoid fighting one no matter where you choose to start is not my idea of a good time. If there was a way to make the Aztecs or Mongols challenging without having them cheat mercilessly, then I might be more interested.

Seljuk and the Ghaznavids are OK in my book because Seljuk only goes FULL BULLSHIT MONSTER MODE if you let him conquer anything, and the Ghaznavids go eastward and who gives a poo poo about India.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Heresies are bizarre as far as achievements go (don't stay Iconoclast if you want to get the Schism mended!) so limited to normal Catholic probably.

Mostly I was thinking of a way to get around the Italian bonus to Papal elections, since the Fraticelli Papacy eliminates that, but you are probably right. Italian Empire for my next playthough I guess

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I think I finally figured how to play a Muslim ruler generation after generation (in Ironman mode):

(1) Don't land any of your sons. Don't give them a drat thing. Even the heir should have the minimal.
(2) Don't give titles to people who are related to you, because it will be hard to jail them later for being Decadent shits.
(3) Betroth all of your daughters off to people outside the empire. Local nobles will try to marry them the moment they turn 16, and their kids will be related to you, which is trouble down the road.
(4) Jail the male relatives who are around the moment they go Decadent. Never let them out, even at Ramadan.

I think my main qualm is that there doesn't see to be away to set "a relative's gone decadent and it's fuckin' ruining your score" alert to something bigger and flashier that puts the game on pause until you deal with it. I've had a couple games ruined because relatives refused to auto-straighten up and I was busy with like 4 revolts and didn't see the number climb until I was a goner.

Achievements earned today: Great Indian Sultanate (requires you owning all of Rajastan, not them all converting, because that will never happen), My Very Own Subcontinent (got whole thing as Muslim, converted to Jainism).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I took basically the entirety of Arabia in a couple of holy wars and gave it to the Teutonic Knights(and all the bishoprics to the Pope) and they somehow managed to lose it all in just a couple of years. Then just as I took Medina and Mecca back to give back to them I get three simultaneous rebellions. As soon at it became clear that I had already lost I try to revoke the title of literally every king in the empire which causes them all to rise up in revolt, I then surrender to the guy with the highest warscore. He lasts for a few months before getting replaced by one of the other rebels, this happens several times. My disgraced former emperor dies in jail during the reign of the fourth rebel emperor when the realm was still in flames. I'm now playing as his son and attempting to kidnap the current emperor so I can push my claim and take my rightful place on the throne. It's 1398 and so far he's escaped every single kidnapping attempt. Only about half a century to go.

Whenever I use scheme to get people into my faction they never actually join the faction. I get a message saying they don't like it but have no choice and then they never join.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Does anybody know how long the -10% Germanic Moral Authority sticks around for after the sacred tree gets burned?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Haven't played in like, six months, what big things have happened. Sorry to make you work

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm starting to gently caress with modding, at the moment just fiddling with a custom defines.lua, and I managed to gently caress things up marvelously.

I wanted to make it so that if vassals dislike you a little, they'll still provide a few levies, so I set MIN_LEVY_RAISE_OPINION_THRESHOLD = -20 and MAX_LEVY_RAISE_OPINION_THRESHOLD = 80 (default values are 0 and 100), but instead apparently the negative sign made it so that a vassal with an opinion of -100 provides 1000 percent of his available levies, with higher opinions causing the value to decrease towards 100%.

In testing this as Lombardy, I imprisoned and banished an innocent count, declared war on the Byzantines, and pulled 40,000 men out of my rear end. I'm not even sure Lombardy had a population of 40,000 in that era.

I also doubled the distance at which mercenaries can be hired, resulting in the Chief of Marrakech being able to hire the Bulgarian Band. Amusing, but not quite what I need, since I really just want to be able to hire mercs as Iceland.

e: Apparently the problem was actually MIN_LEVIES_ABOVE_OPINION_THRESHOLD = 10, which I thought would mean I would be getting 10% of my maximum liege levies, but instead meant 1000%. Setting it to 0.1 is a much saner value. And apparently that entry is actually a hard cap on how few levies a vassal can provide, as even at -50 opinion, a dude's providing 10% of his force.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

:psyduck:

It's 1000 AD. How did an Anglo Saxon even GET there, let alone become Orthodox?

• Locked thread