Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So, looking back at my original metro system, I realized that it is a loving mess and I have no idea how a real subway system works.

So after bulldozing the lot of it and studying some real life subway maps.... I still have no idea how a real subway works. :psyduck: But monkey see, monkey do, so I sketched this idea out really quick:

I know that in general you shouldn't use too many stations (keeps trains fast, Cims will walk/bus quite a bit) and to keep most subway lines just that, lines, but not much else. Anyone more familiar with subways wanna give some tips? :shobon: Like for example, is this a decent layout? Should I turn the blue line into a loop, or keep it a line?

Intersections are cancer for metro and trainlines. They are acceptable if the trains don't have to reverse in the next station. Generally if you have to turn your metros around, unless it's an end-stop in the middle of nowhere, make sure that they do a loop.

I can't draw worth poo poo and my photoshop fu is weak but I tried to indicate how you might do this. Mostly self-explanatory. The station directly at the park becomes "Central Station" I made some assumptions here about how much traffic there is to each station, but it should work as a general lay out.

Blue is a circle line going one way only (i.e., do not add a second line turning the opposite way) When you place it make sure that it moves in a circle! No reversing in station! Also make sure that it enters and exits the stations on the inside track, so it doesn't block the red line.
Both purple and yellow and teal want to use the outside track on central station (so that they do not block red/blue coming the other way), and they want to move through central station in a loop, no reversing in station!
Similarly green wants to use the northern track where it connects to yellow/purps
Teals are completely optional. The nothern one you have to see how much traffic it would get, probably best to check with a busline first before you put the tracks down. The one ending in central is how you would do it if you end up with a lot of traffic from the east.

This has decent expansion potential too, with a western red, red and green up north, teal east and the purple one down south. Simply extending lines should cover you for the rest of the game, barring some huge population shifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Re airports, the game is perfectly happy letting you build things like this:

I tell you, a mod that adds car crashes and other vehicular accidents would be hilariously terrifying.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Made a recycling center. An expensive/slow but clean way to deal with garbáge.

Workshop Link

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Bogan Krkic posted:

I've been having a lot of fun on this map of Wellington, NZ. Some nice flat plains for building big things like airports and cool rear end interchanges, and good hills for making little pockets of towns

Subbed, will check it out.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I was going to look around for a decent Wellington map. Cape Town might be cool too.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Apparently I went overboard building schools cause all 3 of my education bars are maxed and my industry is going to hell with every building getting abandoned caused they're all asking for uneducated workers and I guess it takes a while before Mr Ph.D decides to pick up a job at the fedora assembly. Is there some way to fix this besides bulldozing schools or building offices?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elman posted:

Apparently I went overboard building schools cause all 3 of my education bars are maxed and my industry is going to hell with every building getting abandoned caused they're all asking for uneducated workers and I guess it takes a while before Mr Ph.D decides to pick up a job at the fedora assembly. Is there some way to fix this besides bulldozing schools or building offices?
More people is always the answer to a too-small workforce.

Won't solve the problem when you don't have enough people in general but can more evenly distribute which may prevent some abandonment but leveled unspecialized industry is very education dependent. Level 3 industry needs nearly as much education as offices. Level 2 is easily achieved by basic service coverage and a park. Level 3 is easily achieved by freight train coverage.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

zedprime posted:

More people is always the answer to a too-small workforce.

Won't solve the problem when you don't have enough people in general but can more evenly distribute which may prevent some abandonment but leveled unspecialized industry is very education dependent. Level 3 industry needs nearly as much education as offices. Level 2 is easily achieved by basic service coverage and a park. Level 3 is easily achieved by freight train coverage.

What, like a park in the industrial area? Other than decorations, they already have every service as far as I can tell. I'm not sure why nothing levels up.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I tried to be forward thinking with my current city and built it carefully so that in the future as I passed population thresholds I could fix up the exit and entrance for the highway, and even add a second one which goes into the industrial district. Traffic is still becoming insane though. I think I need to stop building onto this part of the map and start a new part of the city a sector or two over in another direction.

Traffic! :argh:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elman posted:

What, like a park in the industrial area? Other than decorations, they already have every service as far as I can tell. I'm not sure why nothing levels up.
Yeah, industry needs some leisure coverage. Apparently they like taking their lunch breaks next to the dead tree.

e. Public transport fits the bill too. Check out the building info view and check what they want to level up. If its "needs more services" anything that makes the building poo poo smiley faces at placement will help fill the bar. Some might be more effective than others, like I am pretty sure a cargo terminal is the easiest way to level industry up to 3 without spamming schools or other weird stuff.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 28, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zwiebel posted:

I understood the use of Grids in Sim City 2000, because it was a limitation of the engine and you didn't have much space, but I do not comprehend why people still build these ugly rear end slow traffic to a crawl four way intersection grid hellholes in the glorious future of 2015 where traffic actually matters.
Doesn't that just cause a ton of congestion or do some of your big grid cities manage to compensate that with liberal use of one way streets?

I made the grid because I gotta zone it all.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ElZilcho posted:

Loving this game, 20 hours into my first crappy city just trying everything out.

Safest airport in the world!

It's pretty tough down the old footy oval!

This makes me wish disasters are in game

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
This game has done two things to me in real life. First, it's made me oddly excited to drive on highways, especially interchanges. I'm oddly pumped that I need to drive 2 hours and cross a bunch of big interchanges later. Second, it's made me really appreciate how effective roundabouts are. We have a lot of them in my area and before this game I never really noticed how much better they are at handling traffic. Most of the 5/6 way interesections in this area are loving nightmares that can take 5 to 15 minutes to cross without a lot of luck, but the big 7 way roundabout handles lots of traffic with little problems.(Other than the occasional idiot backing it up by doing dumb poo poo like letting people in).

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

wilderthanmild posted:

This game has done two things to me in real life. First, it's made me oddly excited to drive on highways, especially interchanges. I'm oddly pumped that I need to drive 2 hours and cross a bunch of big interchanges later. Second, it's made me really appreciate how effective roundabouts are. We have a lot of them in my area and before this game I never really noticed how much better they are at handling traffic. Most of the 5/6 way interesections in this area are loving nightmares that can take 5 to 15 minutes to cross without a lot of luck, but the big 7 way roundabout handles lots of traffic with little problems.(Other than the occasional idiot backing it up by doing dumb poo poo like letting people in).

I'm with you on this. Last night I was driving on this and thinking what a boss-level frontage road it was.

e: We were going to the Chick-Fil-A. :3: Chick-Fil-A is the best.

ModestMuse fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 28, 2015

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
I tried using terrain.party to get a heightmap for where I live, Duluth MN, and the heightmap it spits out doesn't feel...high enough I guess. Duluth is a pretty hilly place, but the map that imports into Skylines isn't. Is where any way for me to make the heightmap be more pronounced?
I tried futzing with the contrast and brightness in GIMP but wasn't able to figure out settings that would just make everything a bit taller.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

drat I'll have to buy Skylines when it hits a sale. Are they planning any updates with new major features yet?

Hey, how do you like this real-life road... thing...
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.7412439,37.6540492,17z

Then zoom out and realize that intersection has traffic lights and involves several major roads narrowed down to fit between old buildings and badly placed shops. There are reasons we get news like this regularly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ModestMuse posted:

I'm with you on this. Last night I was driving on this and thinking what a boss-level frontage road it was.

e: We were going to the Chick-Fil-A. :3: Chick-Fil-A is the best.

Unless you are for equal rights. :(

Managing traffic makes this game for me, watching and managing a huge line of vehicles so they don't back up is ultra relaxing. I also really enjoy making huge Industrial areas although I kind of wish it was like someone suggested earlier where industrial buildings were more like big plopables rather small growable zones. Same for farmland, the weird zoning constraints put a damper on nice farmland unless Yo are willing to do things for aesthetic reasons only.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Halman posted:

I tried using terrain.party to get a heightmap for where I live, Duluth MN, and the heightmap it spits out doesn't feel...high enough I guess. Duluth is a pretty hilly place, but the map that imports into Skylines isn't. Is where any way for me to make the heightmap be more pronounced?
I tried futzing with the contrast and brightness in GIMP but wasn't able to figure out settings that would just make everything a bit taller.

Use the Levels tool to adjust the range of values in the image.

Before:

After:

The value range in the heightmap becomes more extreme when you change the input level range, meaning height differences become more extreme as well.

But careful, GIMP doesn't properly support 16 bit per channel images, meaning you'll probably have quite bad resolution so the terrain will seem kind of stair-stepped. However you can try using a 2.9 beta (dev snapshot) version which should allow you to work with high bit depth images at full precision.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a shame the game can't handle any image formats with more than 256 shades of grey. It really limits how much you can get out of a single image.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Just run the soften tool over the most jagged areas once you have something imported.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

It's a shame the game can't handle any image formats with more than 256 shades of grey. It really limits how much you can get out of a single image.

Really?
I thought I read/heard something official recommending using 16 bit per channel (65536 shades of gray) PNG files for height maps.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

nielsm posted:

Use the Levels tool to adjust the range of values in the image.

Before:

After:

The value range in the heightmap becomes more extreme when you change the input level range, meaning height differences become more extreme as well.

But careful, GIMP doesn't properly support 16 bit per channel images, meaning you'll probably have quite bad resolution so the terrain will seem kind of stair-stepped. However you can try using a 2.9 beta (dev snapshot) version which should allow you to work with high bit depth images at full precision.

Awesome, thanks for this!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

First person camera mod is simply the best. I've been playing on Passes and have built well up into the mountains including a highway carved along the side of one of the ridges, and a harrowing set of switch backs to go up and over a mountain. I followed a garbage truck and it's pretty much roller coaster tycoon. Also, dirt roads can get pretty drat steep. I have one short segment that I'm pretty sure is >50% grade.

Edit: I don't know my grades. I think it is over 100%.

carticket fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 28, 2015

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
why do all my menu icons for custom content look like this?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Because currently adding icons to parks/intersections/etc is either bugged or there is no documentation on how to actually do it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Looking at stuff from the above view makes stuff look really flat. Try going all the way down and you'll find the land is not at all flat.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Halman posted:

I tried using terrain.party to get a heightmap for where I live, Duluth MN, and

I wanted to do this but my town is inland with no river nearby, is there some way around it?

I thought of using water towers and making a poop lake but apparently you can't just dump your waste on land. And it'd probably just flood everything eventually.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ModestMuse posted:

Oh hey, I know that place, that's Carmel, IN.

And those marginal roads are pretty new, right? As in, they did a boatload of construction in that area and 10 years ago most of those roads didn't exist?

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

I've got a stupid question, but the Better Call Saul billboard in a screenshot back there made me on about it again...

I've downloaded a bunch of custom billboards from PulcrhitudePolka's workshop, the THEY LIVE ones and so on, but I can't find where they are in the game to plop them. I can load them fine in the Asset Editor, but in my actual city they don't appear to be in any of the menus I can select. I've got an entire blank highway just calling out for them. Does anyone know where I can find them?

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Oh hey, I know that place, that's Carmel, IN.

And those marginal roads are pretty new, right? As in, they did a boatload of construction in that area and 10 years ago most of those roads didn't exist?

Yeah, it's brand new, like in the last few months.

Everything in Carmel is roundabouts, frontage roads, and dogbone overpasses. I think eventually there will be no stoplights.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nielsm posted:

Really?
I thought I read/heard something official recommending using 16 bit per channel (65536 shades of gray) PNG files for height maps.

Maybe I'm saving wrong then because I always get banding in everything I import even if 16 bit is selected.

But to me, 16 bits usually means per pixel, which includes all three color channels. But I could that could be wrong.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

GTD Aquitaine posted:

I've got a stupid question, but the Better Call Saul billboard in a screenshot back there made me on about it again...

I've downloaded a bunch of custom billboards from PulcrhitudePolka's workshop, the THEY LIVE ones and so on, but I can't find where they are in the game to plop them. I can load them fine in the Asset Editor, but in my actual city they don't appear to be in any of the menus I can select. I've got an entire blank highway just calling out for them. Does anyone know where I can find them?

I think those are just Props that can be used in models or possibly included in random models? You can't place them directly on a map.

edit: someone in this thread made some actual highway billboards, but they aren't using the signs from the guy you mention.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ModestMuse posted:

Yeah, it's brand new, like in the last few months.

Everything in Carmel is roundabouts, frontage roads, and dogbone overpasses. I think eventually there will be no stoplights.

You know what's weird, when I was a kid I actually worked at that exact burger king at the top of the map you posted.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
What services cover does general industry need to level up?

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

I can't imagine why

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Asciana posted:

What services cover does general industry need to level up?

They really like police, fire stations and freight trains.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Elevate highways, or build soundbarrier ground highways?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

Maybe I'm saving wrong then because I always get banding in everything I import even if 16 bit is selected.

But to me, 16 bits usually means per pixel, which includes all three color channels. But I could that could be wrong.

Yes, you need 16 bits per channel, which means 48 or 64 bits per pixel, depending on whether you have RGB or ARGB.
Alternatively, try if the game can read grayscale files with 16 bpc, meaning just 16 bits per pixel but also only one channel.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Elman posted:

I wanted to do this but my town is inland with no river nearby, is there some way around it?

I thought of using water towers and making a poop lake but apparently you can't just dump your waste on land. And it'd probably just flood everything eventually.

I'd just fudge it, make a little creek that you can flood with a deluge of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
If I turn off high tech housing, is there any way to get smart houses to revert back to regular without bulldozing everything? The future of housing looks tacky as gently caress.