Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Reading the FB comments it looks like they got rid of the tenant on the 1st floor, "rehabbed" the first floor into a storage unit then re-characterized the building as a single family home. I guess that lets you out of some of the rent increase restrictions in the SF Bay Area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

I don't know the law, but March 2nd to May 5th is over 60 days...?

Doh, I was reading that as March 5th, not May 5th.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I should've gotten a Republic Wireless plan a long time ago.

I've had my Moto E cheapass Republic Wireless phone for 5 months, and it's definitely worth the $300 that's been saved to date :v:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

I've had my Moto E cheapass Republic Wireless phone for 5 months, and it's definitely worth the $300 that's been saved to date :v:

Yeah I tried some crazy x minutes for a year plan that was cheaper but I never had enough mins so I ended up paying too much.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

Yep - same thing here. I'm on the $25 per month plan with the Moto E, and I couldn't be happier.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Sundae posted:

Yep - same thing here. I'm on the $25 per month plan with the Moto E, and I couldn't be happier.

Yeah I just upgraded to the 25 plan yesterday and its so worth it.

My understanding is that if you go over the 5gb limit the only thing they do is lower your bandwidth. Is that the case?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I just upgraded to the 25 plan yesterday and its so worth it.

My understanding is that if you go over the 5gb limit the only thing they do is lower your bandwidth. Is that the case?

Yep, and you get a "get out of jail free" card every six months, I believe. It lets you ignore the bandwidth cap entirely for in case of things you really, really need.

I've never even come close to the 5GB limit since it only applies to cellular data.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

If any state has a provision that prohibits "unconscionable" rent increase, I would think California is it, and that amount would certainly exceed any sane judge's threshold, notice period be damned.

The new rate is enough for the mortgage on a $1.5m house with nothing down. That's loving absurd.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

zamin posted:

The new rate is enough for the mortgage on a $1.5m house with nothing down. That's loving absurd.

That's because it's not a rate that they expect the tenants to pay.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I took up golfing.

What have I done. :shepspends:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bugamol posted:

I took up golfing.

Better have a good chiropractor

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

Impossible.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

Or just send me ten bucks and I'll sacrifice a chicken for you under the light of a full moon. I guarantee that it'll work about 30% of the time.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Bugamol posted:

I took up golfing.

I've been looking for an evening scramble-style couples league and luckily for my budget I have yet to find one nearby.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Bugamol posted:

I took up golfing.

I did this last year and :shepspends: exactly.

globalgolf.com and eBay are best friends (or mortal enemies) of a BFC golfer.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Golf is a valid sport deserving of respect but one of the douchiest people I have ever met in my life is an avid golfer so I can't help but hate it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

zamin posted:

Does San Francisco still have any houses as cheap as $1.5m?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm finding it not hard to eat out today. My wife got a stomach bug yesterday so I was on kid duty for the evening/overnight/this morning. I've gotten about 4 hours of sleep (thanks, infant dreesemonkey!). On top of that I've been very successfully dieting now for a few months and my inner fatty is imploring me to re-consider my packed lunch and instead indulge in five guys or a delicious sub or something.

I must stay strong.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
You can make it. I believe in you.

Something I need to consider more myself is that food is a choice. You're choosing the less pleasurable venture now for more money later/better health later/longer life. Stand by that choice.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
OTOH, popeyes chicken is pretty good plus you get out of the office.

(I'm weak, going out to lunch is the hardest thing to break)

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Golf is a valid sport deserving of respect but one of the douchiest people I have ever met in my life is an avid golfer so I can't help but hate it.

I did it primarily to network with people at work, so it's "career centered". However I've found that I actually really do enjoy playing and it gets me outdoors which is good. I've met two pretentious people who play golf and take it way too seriously, but the majority of them are laid back and just want to have a good time / drink a few beers. I joined my work golf club which was somewhat expensive ($60) and the monthly tournaments cost $30-$150 each.

I bought some used Callaway x series irons/wedges + a few hybrid woods + driver from my father in law for trade in value ($300 for a full set of clubs that are about a year old) so I got a good deal. Still I had to make some budget cuts to cover the $100-$200 a month I'm spending golfing now.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The most expensive gift I ever received was a free set of golf clubs.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bhodi posted:

OTOH, popeyes chicken is pretty good plus you get out of the office.

(I'm weak, going out to lunch is the hardest thing to break)

I just tasted bile. Thanks!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I got late night taco bell with my ladyfriend last night, first time I've bought fast food in about 6 months

This morning I remembered why taco bell is a bad, bad, bad idea

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You'll remember again this afternoon.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The IRS just told me I owe them $2,384, from 2013. The best part is they are wrong.

I won some free windows in a drawing and it was classified in turbo tax as gambling winnings. The IRS couldn't figure out that the two $8500 values were the same....

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

spwrozek posted:

The IRS just told me I owe them $2,384, from 2013. The best part is they are wrong.

I won some free windows in a drawing and it was classified in turbo tax as gambling winnings. The IRS couldn't figure out that the two $8500 values were the same....
I saw your post in tax about this, but I don't have any input so I figured I'd ask here. Did you get a W2G for it? I think it should be an easy fix with a letter to the IRS, proving value difference. Or call them, and then send a letter. I've always found the IRS to be really easy to work with, if not slightly slow and annoying.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
My wife and I went to San Francisco (from San Jose) for an adoption workshop. We packed a lunch but after hours and hours of talking to people and playing with baby dolls we were both famished, and decided to try a diner one of her friends told us about.

We joke about how expensive things are on the menu, but we were hungry and an hour from home. "I could scramble eggs for a fifth of that price!" "It's okay to be bad every once in a while!"

We both get some breakfasty food: biscuits and gravy with scrambled eggs for me, and a plate of french toast for her. A coffee, a large orange juice, and a coke. The bill came to $33.

I knew that things were expensive but my brain couldn't understand that. I was thinking more like $28 when I did the mental math beforehand. Then I see what I forgot in my calculation: the orange juice was $5.50.

I bought like 90oz of orange juice on sale for $5 yesterday. Today I paid more than that for maybe 12oz.

UGH.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Now you see why country folk like us gotta stick together and keep those northerners where they belong. :argh:

Sundae posted:

Yep, and you get a "get out of jail free" card every six months, I believe. It lets you ignore the bandwidth cap entirely for in case of things you really, really need.

I've never even come close to the 5GB limit since it only applies to cellular data.

Man I thought for sure I was killing my cap but I checked today and after a week I only used like 150 megs. Not bad.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 22, 2015

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SiGmA_X posted:

I saw your post in tax about this, but I don't have any input so I figured I'd ask here. Did you get a W2G for it? I think it should be an easy fix with a letter to the IRS, proving value difference. Or call them, and then send a letter. I've always found the IRS to be really easy to work with, if not slightly slow and annoying.

I will have to look at the document but I think they sent a 1099. I talked it over with my tax accountant (dad) and he said that a letter and some explanation will fix it all.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

spwrozek posted:

I will have to look at the document but I think they sent a 1099. I talked it over with my tax accountant (dad) and he said that a letter and some explanation will fix it all.
Yeah, that sounds like solid advice.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Is it a bad idea to hand in my notice for my current job before I receive an email confirmation for a new job offer? I had an interview earlier today was offered the job by phone but they have yet to send a confirmation email. I also said to them that I could hand in my notice on Monday but I'm worried about the chance of them withdrawing my application even though I can't think of why they would. If I don't get the confirmation on Monday should I just phone them up and not hand in my notice until the email comes through?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Lazerbeam posted:

Is it a bad idea to hand in my notice for my current job before I receive an email confirmation for a new job offer? I had an interview earlier today was offered the job by phone but they have yet to send a confirmation email. I also said to them that I could hand in my notice on Monday but I'm worried about the chance of them withdrawing my application even though I can't think of why they would. If I don't get the confirmation on Monday should I just phone them up and not hand in my notice until the email comes through?
You don't have a new job yet, so don't hand in your notice unless you're prepared to be unemployed or grovel for your old job back.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Lazerbeam posted:

I'd wait. A friend and fellow goon got an offer at interview and the hard offer came almost 2 months later due to HR shens.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Yeah I thought so. I'll call them and ask for written confirmation on Monday unless they get back to me over the weekend. Thanks

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
So, sanity check:

The wife is going to university in January, so instead of investing our ~50% savings rate we've been saving it for her tuition. We just passed a whole year of tuition in savings.

The rationale is kind of bothering me. Basically, we can get a student loan that's interest-free for the four years she goes to school, move to cheaper housing, and save a fraction of our current amount because of her lost income. We've been really aggressive just holding onto the cash to pay the student loan off immediately once she's done with school, since it makes more sense to have cash and "free" debt for the four years than no cash and no debt (right?).

Is this a dumb thing to do? We could just be investing it and mathematically the odds are in our favour because the interest rate is like prime+1.5 (like 4.5%, say) and the market obviously usually returns greater than this. And it's not as if the payments will cripple us even if there's a recession in 5 years lasting a decade, because a nurse and a teacher together here make about 140k.

The scenarios compare like this:

Keeping tuition in cash: potential "return" of 4.5% for a few years. Let's say $1260/year for however long it would take us to pay off the loan otherwise. Say, $3800 altogether assuming 3 years to pay off loan.

Investing tuition in balanced portfolio: potential return of 7% = ~$5000 at the end of 4 years. Gross, not counting fees. The downside is risk, our money could sit in worthless index funds for a long time while we rack up student loan interest. Returns would be tax-free though because of the TFSA.

Investing tuition for retirement and paying off student loan when it comes: This seems to mitigate the risk of investing for such a short window but means we'll have to pay the interest rate for 2-3 years while we pay off the loan.

What makes the most sense here?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
What you're looking at doing is leveraging the loan during the interest free period. If you want to wipe out the loan as soon at it becomes interest bearing then holding in cash for a 3-4 year window makes sense.

If you take a long term view of investing the money (for significantly more years than the loan to make sure you get the gains) this also works. You are still leveraging the loan to invest. However you get compounding (exponential) returns versus the straight line interest of the loan (assuming you don't miss any payments). Leverage like this allows for a better return from a lower interest rate/capital gain than the loan interest.

Everyone with a mortgage and has any savings or investments is doing this.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

tuyop posted:

So, sanity check:

The wife is going to university in January, so instead of investing our ~50% savings rate we've been saving it for her tuition. We just passed a whole year of tuition in savings.

The rationale is kind of bothering me. Basically, we can get a student loan that's interest-free for the four years she goes to school, move to cheaper housing, and save a fraction of our current amount because of her lost income. We've been really aggressive just holding onto the cash to pay the student loan off immediately once she's done with school, since it makes more sense to have cash and "free" debt for the four years than no cash and no debt (right?).

Is this a dumb thing to do? We could just be investing it and mathematically the odds are in our favour because the interest rate is like prime+1.5 (like 4.5%, say) and the market obviously usually returns greater than this. And it's not as if the payments will cripple us even if there's a recession in 5 years lasting a decade, because a nurse and a teacher together here make about 140k.

The scenarios compare like this:

Keeping tuition in cash: potential "return" of 4.5% for a few years. Let's say $1260/year for however long it would take us to pay off the loan otherwise. Say, $3800 altogether assuming 3 years to pay off loan.

Investing tuition in balanced portfolio: potential return of 7% = ~$5000 at the end of 4 years. Gross, not counting fees. The downside is risk, our money could sit in worthless index funds for a long time while we rack up student loan interest. Returns would be tax-free though because of the TFSA.

Investing tuition for retirement and paying off student loan when it comes: This seems to mitigate the risk of investing for such a short window but means we'll have to pay the interest rate for 2-3 years while we pay off the loan.

What makes the most sense here?

It doesn't sound like a bad plan, given your future earnings potential (although how sure are you about getting a job as a teacher in Canada? Have heard the market can be quite tough there.)

So uh, sorta similar to your situation:

I don't have the option for loans and I realised I probably need to do the opposite of this, and get my money out of the market for the short-term. I have some safety margin with my savings but it's not massive (and I probably won't be able to find a full-time job my first year out of school due to having to wait on a work visa, thus missing hiring season), I could potentially wind up unable to pay tuition next year if there was a big downturn and/or the US dollar tanked, leaving me with half or 3/4s of a degree (useless) and no savings :ohdear:

I realise chances of this happening aren't great, but it's probably wiser to take the hit in potential missed investment earnings for ~2 years than expose myself to that kind of risk, right?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It doesn't sound like a bad plan, given your future earnings potential (although how sure are you about getting a job as a teacher in Canada? Have heard the market can be quite tough there.)

So uh, sorta similar to your situation:

I don't have the option for loans and I realised I probably need to do the opposite of this, and get my money out of the market for the short-term. I have some safety margin with my savings but it's not massive (and I probably won't be able to find a full-time job my first year out of school due to having to wait on a work visa, thus missing hiring season), I could potentially wind up unable to pay tuition next year if there was a big downturn and/or the US dollar tanked, leaving me with half or 3/4s of a degree (useless) and no savings :ohdear:

I realise chances of this happening aren't great, but it's probably wiser to take the hit in potential missed investment earnings for ~2 years than expose myself to that kind of risk, right?

Yeah I wouldn't take that bet, the risks are too great and the benefit is pretty meh.

As for earning potential, I think the market is tough if you're lousy or average or refuse to move*. I've received one award and I'm being nominated for another, so I think I'm a pretty good teacher, and I'm willing to move. My current principal has offered me a job in September and that division starts at over 80k/year. The only reason I'll be out of work is if I don't want to work.

* insert tuyop luck caveat here. The job in this school is attractive because it has limited locomotion requirements. I live 300m from the school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Yeah I wouldn't take that bet, the risks are too great and the benefit is pretty meh.

As for earning potential, I think the market is tough if you're lousy or average or refuse to move*. I've received one award and I'm being nominated for another, so I think I'm a pretty good teacher, and I'm willing to move. My current principal has offered me a job in September and that division starts at over 80k/year. The only reason I'll be out of work is if I don't want to work.

* insert tuyop luck caveat here. The job in this school is attractive because it has limited locomotion requirements. I live 300m from the school.

Until you crash the school into a lake, that is.