Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Welp, Jump!'d my mom to a Note 4 and my wife to (preorder) Galaxy S6 Edge. Guess I'll find out how much I'll be tempted to go Note4->S6 this year.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Are there any android devices out there yet that do 240fps video like the iPhone 6? I am an android convert now and it's the only thing that has made me envious of a friend's phone.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The headphone jack on my Nexus 4 is dying :(. I will probably replace it with a Z3 compact. Or are there any other phones with a similar size I should be aware of?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Popelmon posted:

The headphone jack on my Nexus 4 is dying :(. I will probably replace it with a Z3 compact. Or are there any other phones with a similar size I should be aware of?

Moto X

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The Moto X seems to be really overpriced in Germany. The old one still costs ~280€.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Anjow posted:

Are there any android devices out there yet that do 240fps video like the iPhone 6? I am an android convert now and it's the only thing that has made me envious of a friend's phone.

My Z3c can do 120 fps.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just curious, what's the point on recording @240fps? And with a phone?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Super slow motion recording, basically.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I imagine if any Android does 240fps it would be a Samsung, considering their entire brand is built on copping iPhone features

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
How much is it due to hardware and how much to software?

Can I get my Nexus 5 to record in 120 fps if I just use the right app?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

nerve posted:

I imagine if any Android does 240fps it would be a Samsung, considering their entire brand is built on copping iPhone features

My Galaxy S5 does 240fps at 720p.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

How much is it due to hardware and how much to software?

Can I get my Nexus 5 to record in 120 fps if I just use the right app?

It's both. The Nexus 5s hardware can be convinced to record 1080p@60fps or 800x600@120fps using a hacked driver, although it's a massive kludge that breaks all conventional camera apps in the process.

Google could add the software switch to make it work properly but they haven't because reasons.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Guillermus posted:

To take slowmo vines of animals.

https://vine.co/v/OVIVBYnigKX

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Dark One posted:

To take slowmo vines of animals.

https://vine.co/v/OVIVBYnigKX

2015 smartphones in a nutshell.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I'm buying my mom a new phone and I'm stuck between choosing the Moto E 2nd Gen 4G LTE and the Moto G 2nd Gen US GSM. I've read here and there that the E is actually a better bang for the buck, but I haven't had time to do thorough research. I understand that the E lacks a front-facing camera and flash, both of which my mom may want to use. And its screen is smaller and not as sharp, which is another factor I'm considering due to her eyesight. My biggest concern, really, is which one of the two would last at least 4 or 5 years of use before needing to be replaced. Is there a major factor that would make someone consider the E over the G?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Four or five years is an unrealistic expectation sorry to say.

As for E vs G I think it'll come down to just how bad your 3G network is locally - LTE makes much more of a difference on some networks than it does on others.

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011
Those Motos all have non removable batteries. I'd guess you could get 2-3 years usage out of them before you have to charge them constantly. I'd still prefer the MotoG 2nd Gen because the camera is pretty good (in that price range), although it has the shittiest battery life out of the three.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Anjow posted:

The Galaxy S and the Galaxy Note can.

nerve posted:

This is one feature that debuted on the Galaxy line before making it's way to iPhones, ironically enough.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Desk Lamp posted:

The Galaxy S and the Galaxy Note can.

This is one feature that debuted on the Galaxy line before making it's way to iPhones, ironically enough.

Ha, well there you go

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

Welp, Jump!'d my mom to a Note 4 and my wife to (preorder) Galaxy S6 Edge. Guess I'll find out how much I'll be tempted to go Note4->S6 this year.

How did the pre-order stuff work out? I want to jump to the One M9 but do I have to wait till April 10th when the phone is out or can I do it now? I'm assuming I have to wait for the phone to be physically in stores but I'm curious.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

dissss posted:

Four or five years is an unrealistic expectation sorry to say.

As for E vs G I think it'll come down to just how bad your 3G network is locally - LTE makes much more of a difference on some networks than it does on others.

Yeah, you're right about the 4 or 5 year lifespan. I'll just have her squeeze as much life out of it as possible but still prepare for a replacement 2 or 3 years down the line. As for data connectivity and signal strength, we're lucky enough to live somewhere where we're saturated with coverage (be it 3G, 4G, or LTE) by the big 4, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Frankly, she won't be using data much and her data plan will reflect that. And between work and home, she's covered by wifi. Worst case scenario I'll have her connect to one of the ubiquitous wifi hotspots our cable company has.

rabatz posted:

Those Motos all have non removable batteries. I'd guess you could get 2-3 years usage out of them before you have to charge them constantly. I'd still prefer the MotoG 2nd Gen because the camera is pretty good (in that price range), although it has the shittiest battery life out of the three.

Yeah, she was starting to enjoy taking pictures with her Optimus G that she gave away to a close friend. I think she'd appreciate the better camera. Her usage is going to be very minimal, especially while she's at work, so I imagine the battery should last until she gets home. Outside the house, she'll be texting and using data (mostly checking the few emails she gets) only when necessary. She has no interest in doing more than that, aside from listening to a few tunes here and there. The times when she wants to do battery-draining stuff like watch YouTube videos or surf the net, she'll be at home.

My primary motivation for moving her to a smart phone was because she'd have easy access to email, messenger apps, other useful apps, and an easier to use UI that smartphones provide. Since she gave away her Optimus G, she's been using a flip phone and hates it. She really misses the apps she used to use.

I really should have made a more detailed post about her usage pattern, but I was on my way out the door and she wants to order it by tonight. Sorry about that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Skeezy posted:

How did the pre-order stuff work out? I want to jump to the One M9 but do I have to wait till April 10th when the phone is out or can I do it now? I'm assuming I have to wait for the phone to be physically in stores but I'm curious.

You can Jump to a preorder device. The phone gets shipped to you when it's available but otherwise it works like a regular online upgrade order. You get 90 days (i think)to turn your old phone in after.

I did this with my Note 4, from a S5.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Butt Savage posted:

Yeah, you're right about the 4 or 5 year lifespan. I'll just have her squeeze as much life out of it as possible but still prepare for a replacement 2 or 3 years down the line. As for data connectivity and signal strength, we're lucky enough to live somewhere where we're saturated with coverage (be it 3G, 4G, or LTE) by the big 4, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Frankly, she won't be using data much and her data plan will reflect that. And between work and home, she's covered by wifi. Worst case scenario I'll have her connect to one of the ubiquitous wifi hotspots our cable company has.

It's not so much signal strength, rather some carriers 3G networks are really oversubscribed and their 4G networks are still relatively good.

In my part of the world there is next to no noticeable difference between a 3G and a 4G connection unless you are actually downloading large files - the latency difference a lot of people talk about on US networks is barely noticeable.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

You can Jump to a preorder device. The phone gets shipped to you when it's available but otherwise it works like a regular online upgrade order. You get 90 days (i think)to turn your old phone in after.

I did this with my Note 4, from a S5.

Oh wow awesome. I'll go for it next Friday then.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

dissss posted:

It's not so much signal strength, rather some carriers 3G networks are really oversubscribed and their 4G networks are still relatively good.

In my part of the world there is next to no noticeable difference between a 3G and a 4G connection unless you are actually downloading large files - the latency difference a lot of people talk about on US networks is barely noticeable.

Ah, I see what you mean. Considering her primary connection to the internet would be through wifi (at home or work), with data being a fallback, I think she'll be ok. All carriers have been making upgrades to their towers in my area, so hopefully this won't be an issue. She rarely pulls out her phone outside of those two places unless it's to make/answer a call or send/read a text.

Rabatz got me thinking about the camera and I'm starting to lean towards the G.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

4 or 5 years for a phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

4 or 5 years for a phone?
I could see it maybe if you were talking the best iPhone right when it came out. You know it will get long term support and have the oomph to make it at least three though that last one or two years (out of five) might get rough.

On a flagship Android phone? Maybe, maybe three years.

On a budget Android phone? The reason the Moto G costs what it does is because it's disposable. Dispose of it and get a new one in a year (or whenever they update the SoC I guess).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My Galaxy S is almost 5 years old, from September 2010, but is NOT usable with current app standards (it is now a glorified mp3 player and alarm clock) like whatsapp and two or three more open at the same time, not even with CM installed (well, don't even try with the latest official firmware because it's 2.3.6). I can see my S4 wich is getting closer to the 2 year mark, last another but I doubt that I'll be keeping it until Aug 2016. The two year cycle suggested should be the optimal for people that care less about phones.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I could see it maybe if you were talking the best iPhone right when it came out. You know it will get long term support and have the oomph to make it at least three though that last one or two years (out of five) might get rough.

On a budget Android phone? The reason the Moto G costs what it does is because it's disposable. Dispose of it and get a new one in a year (or whenever they update the SoC I guess).
The Nexus 4 has probably done as well as anything, it still performs decently and hasn't been crippled by any device-specific issues from updates (that I know of, anyway). It's only two-and-a-half though.

And it certainly wasn't a budget phone but it was drat good value. I picked up two in the end-of-life sale for family members and they are still going great. I can see it lasting another year. Will be interesting to see when Google drop update support for it (and the other 2012 Nexus devices).

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 29, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife absolutely hates that my Nexus 4, which she ordered for me for Christmas 2012, is now dying and had to be replaced. She thinks it's ridiculous that phones are really only expected to last about 2 years. I do agree with her that it'd be nice to have phones that last at least a few years (especially now that performance demands have started to level off), but in reality that's just not going to happen in a consumer culture.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

My wife absolutely hates that my Nexus 4, which she ordered for me for Christmas 2012, is now dying and had to be replaced. She thinks it's ridiculous that phones are really only expected to last about 2 years. I do agree with her that it'd be nice to have phones that last at least a few years (especially now that performance demands have started to level off), but in reality that's just not going to happen in a consumer culture.
I don't think it's so much of the consumer culture as it is that the hardware itself has been improving at a fantastic rate obsoleting older devices faster and the business model for people to buy them has historically been set at 24 months so why design them to greatly outlast that? Two years seems like a fine place to put expectations to me and if you're the kind of person to not need the latest and greatest then you're probably better off investing in a good budget model (Moto E/G) and buying yearly or at least as-needed rather than expecting a flagship to make due for four years.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, on to an entirely different topic: I've discovered that my GPE Moto G has ambient display, but it keeps turning itself on even when there isn't anything new to display. I do have a few persistent notifications - Lux, Tasker, and Warframe Utility. Are these what is causing the display to kick on inappropriately?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Butt Savage posted:

I'm buying my mom a new phone and I'm stuck between choosing the Moto E 2nd Gen 4G LTE and the Moto G 2nd Gen US GSM. I've read here and there that the E is actually a better bang for the buck, but I haven't had time to do thorough research. I understand that the E lacks a front-facing camera and flash, both of which my mom may want to use. And its screen is smaller and not as sharp, which is another factor I'm considering due to her eyesight. My biggest concern, really, is which one of the two would last at least 4 or 5 years of use before needing to be replaced. Is there a major factor that would make someone consider the E over the G?

Yo save up some money and get the woman who gave you life a better phone, you loving hobo.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

LastInLine posted:

Lol

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I keep seeing people recommend the Moto E, and maybe that's fine for grandma who never installs any apps, but ~2.5 gb for apps seems extremely limiting these days.

Edit: apparently the 2nd gen is 8 gb. Disregard then.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

Ok, on to an entirely different topic: I've discovered that my GPE Moto G has ambient display, but it keeps turning itself on even when there isn't anything new to display. I do have a few persistent notifications - Lux, Tasker, and Warframe Utility. Are these what is causing the display to kick on inappropriately?

It's supposed to do that. Motorola calls it "breathing".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

Even when there aren't any new notifications since the phone went to sleep?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Why would it be present on a GPE version though?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

Even when there aren't any new notifications since the phone went to sleep?

Yes.

LastInLine posted:

Why would it be present on a GPE version though?

Apparently, that's what ambient display does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Is there a way natively to disable notification sounds when a bluetooth headset is connected - it's weird to have notification sounds come through on the device and the headset.

I know i can do this with tasker but I wanted to see if there was a way natively to do this before putting in the effort with tasker.

It's Galaxy S5 with Lollipop