Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Hikaki posted:

If I turn off high tech housing, is there any way to get smart houses to revert back to regular without bulldozing everything? The future of housing looks tacky as gently caress.

What? You don't like Colossal Order's green and built by Ikea vision of future housing? :v:

That being said, I don't think there is anyway to revert them back besides dezoning or bulldozing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Asciana posted:

What services cover does general industry need to level up?
Someone on the modding forum posted this a while ago:

quote:

Here are the current factors applied to the service level that it checks against, there is a lot more math involved in figuring what is the actual number for each thing, but this should give you a rough estimate (and things to wonder about).

Positives:
1/3 Public Transport
1/5 Police Coverage
1/5 Health Care
1/5 Death Care
1/2 Fire Coverage
1/8 Entertainment
1/8 Elementary
1/8 High School
1/8 University
1 Cargo Transport

Negatives:
-1/7 Noise Pollution
-1/7 Abandonment
-1/6 Pollution

Source: I was looking around for what was and wasn't currently moddable and found the upgrade check code.

I assume those numbers are fractions of a "level point".

edit: maybe not, since they don't add up to quite 3.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 28, 2015

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I always liked this nerdy looking thing, so I built it.

I must be on a London thing lately. I completely forgot this had a little building bit at the base, so I laid out all my textures just for the tower, then had to bodge up the building with what I had to work with. Didn't turn out too shabby.

Screenshots on the Workshop are being dumb thanks to :yayclod: but it's up on the Workshop. Unless downloading is broken too. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/discussions/415543933

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

At what point will I need to do fancier transport stuff than a grid of the basic two-way streets, if any?

e: Also, is the menu text fuzzy for anyone else?

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 28, 2015

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Jack the Lad posted:

At what point will I need to do fancier transport stuff than a grid of the basic two-way streets, if any?
Around the time your traffic backs up the freeway all the way to the next junction in both directions, I suppose.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Hm. I tried upgrading the entrances but they still only use 1 lane:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack the Lad posted:

It's because they're driving onto a single lane street.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I assume those numbers are fractions of a "level point".

edit: maybe not, since they don't add up to quite 3.

Do multiple buildings in a category stack?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Anyone tried out that new LaneChanger mod? It was pretty broken before but it updated today and claims to be a lot more stable. "No left or right turn for any type of intersection" sounds fantastic.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I'd really dig if someone could do a neat LP of this with some informational stuff in it. Everything that I see on YouTube is basically idiot baby's doing idiot city's.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Starhawk64 posted:

What? You don't like Colossal Order's green and built by Ikea vision of future housing? :v:

That being said, I don't think there is anyway to revert them back besides dezoning or bulldozing them.

A world where renewable energy and legal weed have no negative effects, but I have to live in an ugly rear end house. Tough choice.

So I bulldozed my entire light residential area and let it build back up, only to discover that the level 5 buildings are the same regardless of the high tech housing policy. Welp, maybe I can carefully lower land value to keep them at level 4, which looks modern but not gaudy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

What was that mod again that added randomized names to your industries and stuff? It looks hilarious.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Sion posted:

I'd really dig if someone could do a neat LP of this with some informational stuff in it. Everything that I see on YouTube is basically idiot baby's doing idiot city's.

This would be a cool thing, yeah. Or if anyone could recommend one.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Zedd posted:

What was that mod again that added randomized names to your industries and stuff? It looks hilarious.
randomized building names

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jack the Lad posted:

Add another highway onramp or two. You're funneling your whole city through that one entrance

I assume you'll be expanding to the right anyways, so maybe do up some entrances like this:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hikaki posted:

So I bulldozed my entire light residential area and let it build back up, only to discover that the level 5 buildings are the same regardless of the high tech housing policy. Welp, maybe I can carefully lower land value to keep them at level 4, which looks modern but not gaudy.

There's a mod that will lock buildings to a certain level but you have to click on each individual building to do it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jack the Lad posted:

You need to start making main, one directional roads between different areas or you'll eventually drown in traffic. Most traffic is gonna follow the same paths from one area to another, so try to make those bigger and more efficient.

Don't ask me how to do it properly though, here's my industrial zone right now :saddowns:

(It gets uglier when a train delivers something... My cargo station is by the highway away from the city, not sure if I should place it closer to the industrial zone and risk flooding it in delivery trucks)

Elman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 28, 2015

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Is there one that lets you edit your own names into the random name list? This is cool, wondering if someone has done that yet. Also is there one to add new tweets?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Elman posted:

(It gets uglier when a train delivers something... My cargo station is by the highway away from the city, not sure if I should place it closer to the industrial zone and risk flooding it in delivery trucks)
Please rename to Flying Spaghetti Monster Junction (the big roundabouts are meatballs).
e: Also, it will become the destination of a big portion of your industrial outgoing traffic too, you totally should.

wit fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 29, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Moridin920 posted:

There's a mod that will lock buildings to a certain level but you have to click on each individual building to do it.

Nope, you can set the level limits via districts too. It's awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Baronjutter posted:

Oh I didn't realize this! :aaa:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

Do you have a link?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Add another highway onramp or two. You're funneling your whole city through that one entrance

I assume you'll be expanding to the right anyways, so maybe do up some entrances like this:

I have no idea why that hadn't occurred to me!

Thanks, I'll try it out.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Dumb question that I couldn't find an answer for easy searching: I'm trying to use mods for the first time. Do I have to start a new save when I get new mods? I have enabled a few but none of them seem to be working on an existing city.

Makes sense if so, but making sure I'm not missing something.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

-Dethstryk- posted:

Dumb question that I couldn't find an answer for easy searching: I'm trying to use mods for the first time. Do I have to start a new save when I get new mods? I have enabled a few but none of them seem to be working on an existing city.

Makes sense if so, but making sure I'm not missing something.

You can activate and deactivate most mods without starting a new city.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ad by Khad posted:

Anyone tried out that new LaneChanger mod? It was pretty broken before but it updated today and claims to be a lot more stable. "No left or right turn for any type of intersection" sounds fantastic.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412101021
I haven't tried it out, but it looks very good now.

less than three posted:

Do you have a link?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410535198&searchtext=level+up

Eodoin
Dec 3, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Adding an entrance or two to industry will really help with traffic. A good majority of my traffic is industry. I ended up separating my industry because it would get so bad. Just keep in mind the traffic will always take the shortest distance and not time. So they will back up in one lane on a highway and not use the other two lanes even though they are not exiting for the next couple exits. Best thing is to watch you traffic and adjust once you have a good idea whats going on.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
My first city went up to almost 20k population without any traffic problems.

My second city? Only 2k and I have delivery vans backed up for 2 blocks because I connected my industry to my commercial via a single road and I don't have anywhere else to place new routes while keeping it aesthetically pleasing :negative:.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm playing on a map with only 1 highway connection. It's jammed all the way to the edge of the map because EVERYONE is driving in the left lane. They only use other lanes right before their exit, but otherwise it's a huge jam in the left lane going off the map. It's only jammed coming in, the other direction has a nice mix of cars in every lane. I think it's mostly new people arriving to the new because why else would they be coming from off-map. Should I just wait for people to stop moving in?

I created a huge bypass that skips over half the city and outputs on the highway well after where its jammed but it's just not enough. Why are they all in the left lane????

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Seriously, having to manage traffic 90% of the time really sucks the fun out of the game. I think there's a bug in the AI's code or something, otherwise why would they not use the other lanes I made available for them?

It's too bad you can't really solve traffic issues like you could in Simcity 2000 simply by plopping bus stations down everywhere.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 29, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Starhawk64 posted:

Seriously, having to manage traffic 90% of the time really sucks the fun out of the game. I think there's a bug in the AI's code or something, otherwise why would they not use the other lanes I made available for them?

It's too bad you can't really solve traffic issues like you could in Simcity 2000 simply by plopping bus stations down everywhere.

If you actually add decent routes you can solve the vast majority of your traffic problems with public transportation.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I find the traffic simulation fun and rewarding and actually interesting to tinker with instead of just "poo poo bus stops everywhere, make everything 8 lanes, solve all problems forever".

Cims get in the right lane when the next right turn is the right turn they're intending to take. Cims get in the left lane when the next left turn is the turn they're intending to take.

Roundabouts are a little different, they seem to have actually implemented proper roundabout lane usage, cims will go to the inside-most lane if they're going all or almost-all the way around, center lane if they're going halfway around, or rightmost lane if they're exiting right away.

Bypass troubles- the AI weighting for routes doesn't include traffic, just distance and road travel speed. Possibly number of lanes too? I'm not sure how it works out between a 2 lane 1 way and an onramp as far as weighting goes, but the key point is that the bypass is probably not actually shorter, just faster due to alleviated traffic. You have to make the route you want to bypass less appealing. Narrowing a section of a bridge from 6 lanes to 4 lanes was enough to get my truck parade to use the new bypass I built them, but more drastic steps might be necessary.

All that said, I really do wish the AI paid more attention to choosing destinations nearer them in favor of those further away. I watched one of my cims go halfway across the map from high school school to home, when there was a high school with free capacity about 40 grid squares from their house with a pedestrian path leading almost all the way there. There's really no point to building balanced mixed-use neighborhoods with commercial, offices, and residential all together, because cims will gladly work on one side of town, shop on the other side, and live on a third side.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
These highway interchanges in the middle of the mountains are nightmarish. They flow okay after tinkering with them (ugh weaving) but man are they ugly. I finally understand the horrible goon blunders of making your own interchanges from scratch.

Learned a lot from the horrible crash and burn of my last city and this one's going better.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just posted my map up on the Steam Workshop, Cartagena, Colombia

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415802704

Hadlock's workshop page posted:

This is a to scale model of Cartagena in Colombia, South America on the Caribbean coast. I visited here recently and was appalled at how bad the traffic in Cartagena was! The original city was a walled city guarding a harbor on a larger bay, to guard against pirates and invasions. If you are looking for THE Pirate City, this is it. Cartagena has been sacked more than 43 times by various pirates and nationalities over the last 500 years. The "Royal Road" left the city and wandered Southeast through a chokepoint between the bay and rocky mountains. This roal road (represented by highway here) becomes snarled with traffic every day during rush hour.

Can you grow the city organically and avoid the traffic pitfalls of modern Cartagena?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Man that place is gonna be loving screwed in 50 years time.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I just kinda accept that my cities are going to have severe traffic issues in some areas and there is nothing I can do about it besides mitigate it a little.

One of my methods was to create a new industrial town separated from everything else but with easy access to the highways, this didn't really solve a traffic problem (though it has better traffic flow than my other industrial area) but it is having a different problem. The buildings get a popup that says they "need city services" and after a little while of that they get abandoned. They have an incinerator, water, sewage, electricity, clinic, firehouse, police station, park, a strip of commercial. A quick hop across the highway is a mostly residential town with schools and whatnot.

What exactly are "city services" which I am missing?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I just kinda accept that my cities are going to have severe traffic issues in some areas and there is nothing I can do about it besides mitigate it a little.

One of my methods was to create a new industrial town separated from everything else but with easy access to the highways, this didn't really solve a traffic problem (though it has better traffic flow than my other industrial area) but it is having a different problem. The buildings get a popup that says they "need city services" and after a little while of that they get abandoned. They have an incinerator, water, sewage, electricity, clinic, firehouse, police station, park, a strip of commercial. What exactly are "city services" which I am missing?

Where's your schools man!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Where's your schools man!

Ah I just edited my post because I figured my schools across the road at the residential town were enough. Apparently I need schools in the industrial area itself, even though no one lives there? That's a bit weird.

e: yup, that was it. My entirely nonresidential area needs schools. :psyduck:

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 29, 2015

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
I have played Sim City since the Commodore 64. I didn't buy the last version, based on the reviews. I just got Skylines because of this thread, and wow - its intuitive and fun. I'm glad someone stepped up and made a good City Simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Another small thing:

The red area has really backed up traffic all the time. I added that one way road to the right to try and route all of the traffic turning right that way instead to take some of the pressure off but not a single vehicle has taken that road, not even one curious driver. Why is that? Several have turned right despite it taking way longer due to waiting in traffic. In fact, a lot of the traffic I am now realizing is caused by people who intend to turn right instead sitting in the middle lane and waiting instead of getting into the right lane and moving on.

This feels like a bug.