Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Economic Sinkhole posted:

First pastrami. It went well. Total cooking time was 15 hours, with the last hour in the oven in foil. The texture is slightly dry but flavor is fantastic.

Soaking in clear water to remove some of the brine I just spent 9 days putting in.

About 5 hours into the smoke.

Out of the oven finally. A small piece was removed for QA testing.

Chilled for 12 hours then steamed for 2 and sliced.

Gratuitous closeup.

The payoff.

Holy poo poo, that looks fantastic. Thats a brisket, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Cimber posted:

Local butcher is selling USDA Prime baby back ribs for 2.99/lb.

Goddamn i wish i had a bigger freezer.
Are they by any chance vacuum-sealed? Meat lasts disturbingly longer when it is, like 1-2+ months in the fridge.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's no such thing as USDA prime for pork. The USDA doesn't grade pork.

USDA.gov

quote:

Pork is not graded with USDA quality grades as it is generally produced from young animals that have been bred and fed to produce more uniformly tender meat. Appearance is an important guide in buying fresh pork. Look for cuts with a relatively small amount of fat over the outside and with meat that is firm and grayish pink in color. For best flavor and tenderness, meat should have a small amount of marbling.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Chemmy posted:

There's no such thing as USDA prime for pork. The USDA doesn't grade pork.

USDA.gov

Really. thats interesting, i did not know that. Thanks.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Is a MasterBuilt electric smoker up to doing brisket? I'm craving burnt ends but worried about A) fitting a whole brisket into the smoker and B) it being hot/powerful enough to cook the brisket well. Anyone done this already and have any good tips?

I've gotten really good at ribs/butt but brisket is my smoking white whale.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Tivac posted:

Is a MasterBuilt electric smoker up to doing brisket? I'm craving burnt ends but worried about A) fitting a whole brisket into the smoker and B) it being hot/powerful enough to cook the brisket well. Anyone done this already and have any good tips?

It's all I use for brisket, they work really well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cimber posted:

Holy poo poo, that looks fantastic. Thats a brisket, right?

Yea, Pastrami and Corned beef are both made out of briskets.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

StealthBus posted:

It's all I use for brisket, they work really well.

:neckbeard: That's very exciting to hear, I'll have to go do some more reading!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, Pastrami and Corned beef are both made out of briskets.

I made corned beef out of an eye of round roast(or something like that), because it was like half the price of brisket. It turned out pretty good, but I gave it more brining time, and I expect it would take longer to smoke if you were doing pastrami.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So I am going to my cousin's Saturday to watch the games. I wanted to smoke a butt and bring it there but it's about an hour away. I know it's supposed to rest after yanking it out. Is it better to just wrap it in foil, a towel, and drop it in a cooler and pull it apart down there, or just pull it apart at my place and throw it in a tinfoil tray?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So I am going to my cousin's Saturday to watch the games. I wanted to smoke a butt and bring it there but it's about an hour away. I know it's supposed to rest after yanking it out. Is it better to just wrap it in foil, a towel, and drop it in a cooler and pull it apart down there, or just pull it apart at my place and throw it in a tinfoil tray?

Rip it there if possible. I find that the longer it is in "shredded" form, the faster it will dry out. Makes sense if ya think about it. It will definitely stay hot and shreddable over that time frame if that is your concern.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Tivac posted:

I have done a few briskets in my MB Electric and they have come out great. I have not done burnt ends though but I am sure that wouldn't be a problem.

I am wanting to smoke something and am leaning more to ribs than brisket though because the price of brisket keeps rising and it just doesn't seem to go as far. Though I do still have one last frozen container of the brisket chili I made last time...

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I am making some pulled pork in a slow cooker today but it turns out that it's going to be 62 and fantastic. Have any of you put some smoke on the pork after you shred it?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BLARGHLE posted:

I made corned beef out of an eye of round roast(or something like that), because it was like half the price of brisket. It turned out pretty good, but I gave it more brining time, and I expect it would take longer to smoke if you were doing pastrami.

I may try doing a pastrami then. My wife hates BBQ and smoked meat, so I end up eating half of it and having to throw out the other half. But she does like a good pastrami on rye bread.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Paper With Lines posted:

I am making some pulled pork in a slow cooker today but it turns out that it's going to be 62 and fantastic. Have any of you put some smoke on the pork after you shred it?

Sounds like a good way to make some jerky.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Canuckistan posted:

Sounds like a good way to make some jerky.

I was probably going to throw it in an aluminum tray. Do you really think it'd get that dried out?

Maybe this isn't worth it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
i don't know for sure. However I'll predict that it'll dry out quite a bit. I also predict that if you're not careful it'll absorb too much smoke. I use very little smoke when doing a meatloaf as it seems to permeate ground beef much more readily compared to a solid roast. I think that would apply to pulled pork too.

That said, I may be talking out of my rear end here. Try it out FOR SCIENCE :science:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Paper With Lines posted:

I was probably going to throw it in an aluminum tray. Do you really think it'd get that dried out?

Maybe this isn't worth it.

If you were using the smoker for something else I could see trying it with some of it. Just spray it with Apple Cider Vinegar or Apple Juice every 15 minutes. Check for smoke flavor each time so you don't over do the smoke.

If you do a small batch first the worst is you ruined a small portion.

Edit: I've had to put a pork but back in in the morning because it didn't cook all the way (middle of winter) when I went to bed. I thought it was done but when I went to pull it, it clearly wasn't. So it was split open in a couple places and went back in for a couple hours hitting it with Apple Juice every 15-30 minutes.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 31, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Paper With Lines posted:

Yep, I've done this. Keep it moist, don't get it very hot, and keep stirring it around every fifteen minutes or so and it works great. It gets smoky faster, because you've got more surface area. Sometimes I'll actually double-smoke some pulled pork - smoke it whole, braise it overnight, pull it, then smoke it again for a bit. It works very, very well.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Crazyeyes posted:

Rip it there if possible. I find that the longer it is in "shredded" form, the faster it will dry out. Makes sense if ya think about it. It will definitely stay hot and shreddable over that time frame if that is your concern.

Thanks. I kind of figured this was better. My concern was more with residual heat and overdoing it, but that's probably not much of a concern if I literally take it out, throw it in the cooler and go?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Thanks. I kind of figured this was better. My concern was more with residual heat and overdoing it, but that's probably not much of a concern if I literally take it out, throw it in the cooler and go?

I have left pork butts wrapped in towels and in coolers for upwards of 4 hours and they haven't overcooked. Pork butts are very flexible in that sense. As long as you pull it off when it hits like 190-195 or so it'll be fine.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Great. I'll try it and let ya'll know. In this case, I'll probably ghetto smoke it on a grill with the indirect briquette heat and some hickory chunks.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Here are last night's results. It worked out pretty well. Some of the pork got a little crispy but it was fine and just increased the texture.

Photos are ordered temporally.

This is grilled vs not grilled.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Paper With Lines posted:

Here are last night's results. It worked out pretty well. Some of the pork got a little crispy but it was fine and just increased the texture.

Photos are ordered temporally.

This is grilled vs not grilled.

That looks interesting! I may try that out with the shoulder I have waiting in the freezer.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/03/31/396588498/the-resurrection-of-lamb-ham-a-colonial-tradition-revived

Speaking of things that look interesting, I have a leg of lamb thawing right now in anticipation of this treatment. Lamb Ham! Hamb?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

BLARGHLE posted:

That looks interesting! I may try that out with the shoulder I have waiting in the freezer.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/03/31/396588498/the-resurrection-of-lamb-ham-a-colonial-tradition-revived

Speaking of things that look interesting, I have a leg of lamb thawing right now in anticipation of this treatment. Lamb Ham! Hamb?

Dang that sounds like it could be quite good.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Beef tenderloin from our last BBQ class.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
The beast is awake after a long winters sleep. It's -10 C out there (about 14 F for you yanks) and I had to dig it out. Also the cover was frozen to it so I had to use a kettle to pour warm water over it until it came loose.

2 x 10lb butts on there. Well, actually 4 x 5lb as I need to serve at 5pm. As it is I'm going to have to get them off at around 160 and texas crutch them in the oven.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Holy poo poo, how far into Canada are you? I live in Minnesota and it was 83 degrees here yesterday (though that broke a 130 year old record)!!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Canuckistan posted:

The beast is awake after a long winters sleep. It's -10 C out there (about 14 F for you yanks) and I had to dig it out. Also the cover was frozen to it so I had to use a kettle to pour warm water over it until it came loose.

2 x 10lb butts on there. Well, actually 4 x 5lb as I need to serve at 5pm. As it is I'm going to have to get them off at around 160 and texas crutch them in the oven.

is that a modified dome? My WSM doesn't have that extra handle on the front (though I wish it did)

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Paper With Lines posted:

Holy poo poo, how far into Canada are you? I live in Minnesota and it was 83 degrees here yesterday (though that broke a 130 year old record)!!

Canuckistan is somewhere on the east coast where it hasn't stopped snowing since February.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
It's a stock 22.5 wsm. I'm in Atlantic Canada and we're having a hosed up winter and spring. Normally we have about 20 cm of snow on the ground this time of year. Right now there's 150 cm out there with another 15 cm predicted for tomorrow.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
This is why I usually put the cover on my BBQ. I forgot this time and now I have a friend.

At least we don't have bears here.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

looking forward to your new chili recipe

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

There is a 30" Analog Masterbuilt on tools.Woot today for a steal if anyone was looking to get one.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

There is a 30" Analog Masterbuilt on tools.Woot today for a steal if anyone was looking to get one.

I just came here to post/ask if this one was worth it.

Is it?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If that's the really old model, then there's two things that have been updated in the digital ones - heater element (got larger/more powerful) and the box insulation got upgraded.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

unknown posted:

If that's the really old model, then there's two things that have been updated in the digital ones - heater element (got larger/more powerful) and the box insulation got upgraded.

It's the older model: http://tools.woot.com/offers/masterbuilt-analog-electric-smoker-30-inch?ref=gh_tg_5_s_txt

The newer one with digital control is $50 more on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070210-30-Inch-Electric-Analog/dp/B0034VXAY0/

With shipping on Woot the difference is 35-20 ($5-20 on shipping speed) or "free" 2 day prime on amazon for the newer model.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

toplitzin posted:

It's the older model: http://tools.woot.com/offers/masterbuilt-analog-electric-smoker-30-inch?ref=gh_tg_5_s_txt

The newer one with digital control is $50 more on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070210-30-Inch-Electric-Analog/dp/B0034VXAY0/

With shipping on Woot the difference is 35-20 ($5-20 on shipping speed) or "free" 2 day prime on amazon for the newer model.

If I already have a nice Weber grill, is there a reason to do the WSM in any size rather than get one of these?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I'm still fairly new to smoking so I have stupid questions time to time... the water pan, particularly in the mastebuilt 40'. How much water should be in there, should you fill it up once it start evaporating into the cook, etc. I've read different things about it so I'm not too sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm still fairly new to smoking so I have stupid questions time to time... the water pan, particularly in the mastebuilt 40'. How much water should be in there, should you fill it up once it start evaporating into the cook, etc. I've read different things about it so I'm not too sure

I generally went half way more or less.