Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Out of curiosity, is there an Aeronautical Insanity channel in synirc?

I've searched but couldn't find one. I didn't think there was going to be enough of a demand to start one either. I'll let Linedace get the first chance to start it because he's OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Flight sim covers it

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

I'll give the Connie honorable mention. Speaking of, here's a pretty cool video about restoring a Connie. It's auf Deutsch, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMcH0BFNSek

These guys (LH Technik) are at the airport in Lewiston, Maine, I've been inside the hangar they use (though it was a while ago now, Summer 2010.) They seemed pretty cool about explaining what they were doing, at least at the time.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

Flight sim covers it

It covers a type of AI-style sperg, but I don't think we've completely addressed all spectrums.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

StandardVC10 posted:

These guys (LH Technik) are at the airport in Lewiston, Maine, I've been inside the hangar they use (though it was a while ago now, Summer 2010.) They seemed pretty cool about explaining what they were doing, at least at the time.

That's awesome. I don't speak a word of German, though. I wish I could find that doc in English.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

It covers a type of AI-style sperg, but I don't think we've completely addressed all spectrums.

I haven't logged in for some time but I recalled more real plane talk than fake plane.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

MrChips posted:

Sure it's pretty but the Tu-144 was so heinously bad that even the Soviets thought it was too dangerous to put into passenger service. Let that sink in for a moment.

...except they did put it in passenger service?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tu-144 chat

wiki posted:

Tu-144 pilot Aleksandr Larin remembers a troublesome flight around 25 January 1978. The flight with passengers suffered the failure of 22 to 24 on-board systems. Seven to eight systems failed before takeoff but given the large number of foreign TV and radio journalists and also other foreign notables aboard the flight, it was decided to proceed with the flight to avoid the embarrassment of cancellation.

After takeoff, failures continued to multiply. While the aircraft was supersonic en route to the destination airport, Tupolev bureau's crisis center predicted that front and left landing gear would not extend and that the aircraft would have to land on right gear alone, at a landing speed of over 300 kilometres per hour (190 mph; 160 kn). Due to expected political fallout, Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev was personally notified of what was going on in the air.

With the accumulated failures, an alarm siren went off immediately after the takeoff, with sound and volume similar to that of a civil defense warning. The crew could not figure a way to switch it off so the siren stayed on throughout the remaining 75 minutes of the flight. Eventually, the captain ordered the navigator to borrow a pillow from the passengers and stuff it inside the siren's horn. In the event, all landing gear extended and the aircraft was able to land.[24]

The final passenger flight of Tu-144 on around 30 May 1978 involved valve failure on one of the fuel tanks
:stare:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SyHopeful posted:

For 7 months and 55 flights.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SyHopeful posted:

The Tu-144 fleet flew a grand total of 55 passenger and 53 cargo flights over the nine-odd months of its combined passenger and freighter career. I would hardly call that anything more than an operational evaluation. The aircraft was considered so risky that every time a Tu-144 flew, old man Tupolev himself had to authorise the flight, presumably so that the authorities had a convenient scapegoat if it all went wrong.

The biggest problem the Tu-144 faced was that it was constructed almost exclusively from large sections of machined aluminum (which is somewhat common nowadays, but it was revolutionary back then). This had the effect of making fatigue cracks propagate rapidly across a skin panel, and had the added "benefit" of stressing surrounding panels too, which could fail them as well. Additionally, it was found that not only was the aircraft incapable of meeting its intended structural load factor, but the heat cycling of its flight profile further exacerbated the cracking tendency; it was found that irreparable cracking could occur after just a single flight! :stonklol: Bear in mind that this is only the most serious of the Tu-144's many defects; there are others in that aircraft, such as the poor wing design, the series of unsuitable engines, the useless environmental control system (the list goes on and on really...), combined with the enormous propaganda hype (and subsequent fall from grace in Paris) that make me quite confident in saying that the Tu-144 is probably the biggest failure in aviation history.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 28, 2015

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

MrChips posted:

the Tu-144 is probably the biggest failure in aviation history.

Even more than the Spruce Goose?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Best super connie video: :flame: :flame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dExlu488bM4 :flame: :flame:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Even more than the Spruce Goose?

See, I don't know if you could call the Spruce Goose a failure in and of itself. The end of the war, combined with Howard Hughes' obsession with perfection meant that the need for the aircraft was gone by the time the first one was finished.

Plus, it wasn't built up to be the crowning achievement of the American aviation industry, nor did it suffer the ignomy of crashing at the world's biggest and most important air show either.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Geoj posted:

It's been a while but IIRC there's an F-4 & F-16 you can sit in plus a WWII bomber (can't remember which one) that you can walk through.

They also have a handful of aircraft with a viewing platform built next to the cockpit (some fighter from the late 50s/early 60s and an A-10, maybe others) that you can get a close look at.

e: I forgot (mainly because the bus that takes you to the on-base section wasn't running last time I was there thanks to the government shutdown) they also have four presidential aircraft that are open to the public.

Future pilot in the making after today. Surprisingly didn't get upset the entire time. Sat at the little snack stand on the backside of the SR71 to share a Snickers before we took off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
D.A.R.Y.L. 2.0

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

slidebite posted:

Tu-144 chat

:stare:

Yea, I'd would've gone ahead and taken the canx

Also, gently caress the Connie. What a horrifying abomination.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

With that movie logic we could have hopped into the cockpit, fired it up and flew it out of the display hanger to go home :v:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Reminder that the Tu-144 was one of the only commercial airliners to use a drag chute. Because :ussr:

e: Most Tupulevs used drouges, but I still like the idea of some poor Ruskie having to run onto the runway to recover the chute before the next aircraft lands :v:

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 29, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spaced God posted:

I've searched but couldn't find one. I didn't think there was going to be enough of a demand to start one either. I'll let Linedace get the first chance to start it because he's OP.

I don't use IRC, so fill yer boots

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

dietcokefiend posted:

Future pilot in the making after today. Surprisingly didn't get upset the entire time. Sat at the little snack stand on the backside of the SR71 to share a Snickers before we took off.

It's been a good week for pictures of kids and blackbirds.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Also, gently caress the Connie. What a horrifying abomination.

The wrongest opinion.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The wrongest opinion.

It is the marmite airplane

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Reminder that the Tu-144 was one of the only commercial airliners to use a drag chute. Because :ussr:

Some Sud Caravelles had one, IIRC, as they lacked thrust reversers.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Linedance posted:

I don't use IRC, so fill yer boots

I tried to make this work. Join #aeroinsanity on synirc.net
...maybe...

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

MrChips posted:

The Tu-144 fleet flew a grand total of 55 passenger and 53 cargo flights over the nine-odd months of its combined passenger and freighter career. I would hardly call that anything more than an operational evaluation. The aircraft was considered so risky that every time a Tu-144 flew, old man Tupolev himself had to authorise the flight, presumably so that the authorities had a convenient scapegoat if it all went wrong.

The biggest problem the Tu-144 faced was that it was constructed almost exclusively from large sections of machined aluminum (which is somewhat common nowadays, but it was revolutionary back then). This had the effect of making fatigue cracks propagate rapidly across a skin panel, and had the added "benefit" of stressing surrounding panels too, which could fail them as well. Additionally, it was found that not only was the aircraft incapable of meeting its intended structural load factor, but the heat cycling of its flight profile further exacerbated the cracking tendency; it was found that irreparable cracking could occur after just a single flight! :stonklol: Bear in mind that this is only the most serious of the Tu-144's many defects; there are others in that aircraft, such as the poor wing design, the series of unsuitable engines, the useless environmental control system (the list goes on and on really...), combined with the enormous propaganda hype (and subsequent fall from grace in Paris) that make me quite confident in saying that the Tu-144 is probably the biggest failure in aviation history.

I've read all about the saga of the Tu-144, I was merely taking exception to you stating that it wasn't put in passenger service; by your own admission it was, just not for very long.

Seen it but always worth a rewatch :)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I love the Super Connies so much. And that video is so :black101:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The last F-104 rolled off the assembly line in 1983. :psyboom:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

If we're posting facts like that, the B-29 design program costed more than the Manhattan Project.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

And the last military example was retired in 2004! (I think.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spaced God posted:

If we're posting facts like that, the B-29 design program costed more than the Manhattan Project.

At least the B-29 was a good plane. It’s a shame the V‒2 wasn’t technically an aviation program, because it also cost more than the Manhattan Project.

I’d like to know how much the He 176 and Me 163 cost, but not enough to go digging for a good source.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Platystemon posted:

At least the B-29 was a good plane. It’s a shame the V‒2 wasn’t technically an aviation program, because it also cost more than the Manhattan Project.

I’d like to know how much the He 176 and Me 163 cost, but not enough to go digging for a good source.

The cost of the Me 163 was most of the pilots who flew it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Last page, but I think we can agree the best looking plane is every delta wing ever built.

Now someone post an ugly delta and prove me wrong.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Similarly, it's quite possible more German aircrews were killed by He 177 malfunctioning than Allied Air crews by working He 177s.

Fun fact - of the thousand or so He 177s produced, only 1/3rd were ever used operationally.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Fucknag posted:

Last page, but I think we can agree the best looking plane is every delta wing ever built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_XFY_Pogo

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

:boom:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Sure, but it is still better looking than the non-delta equivalent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_XFV

I was thinking the Dyke Delta wasn't terribly attractive, but it is still a shitlot better than 99% of other homebuilts.

See also the Facetmobile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wainfan_Facetmobile

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fucknag posted:

That's a funny way of spelling SR-71.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fucknag posted:

XFY Pogo or Short SC.1. :colbert:

a face only a drunk mother engineer could love

edit

Fairey Delta 2 looks like a dog dragging its rear end on the carpet

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 29, 2015

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I just noticed that Flight Simulator X is on sale on Steam for $5 this weekend, if anybody is looking to grab it for cheap.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I just noticed that Flight Simulator X is on sale on Steam for $5 this weekend, if anybody is looking to grab it for cheap.

GAH it won't install but it only cost $5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Ugly deltas? How far along in development does something need to have been to count?