Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

MEMRI posted:

Am I literally the only person on earth who doesn't use nail clippers or teeth to trim my nails? I just use the nail of my right or left index finger as a wedge to remove little crescents of nail. My fiancee thinks it's the craziest poo poo she's ever seen.

Nope, I do exactly the same thing. I know it's a bad habit but I can't remember the last time I used clippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

MEMRI posted:

Am I literally the only person on earth who doesn't use nail clippers or teeth to trim my nails? I just use the nail of my right or left index finger as a wedge to remove little crescents of nail. My fiancee thinks it's the craziest poo poo she's ever seen.

I used to do this, but I stopped and since then haven't had nearly the same problems with ingrown nails and stuff that I used to.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where's a reputable place to find programmers for hire? Also, when hiring for a job like that what's the standard pay?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Want to buy grandpa a bottle he could take water/juice/tea in to his fishing trips (both summer and winter), and cross-country skiing. Could someone recommend me some good ones? I'm looking for something around 32oz, durable, good for -30F, good at handling warm liquid, easy to be opened in mittens. Preferably that insulation is in a form of removable sleeve of sorts.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

kalstrams posted:

Want to buy grandpa a bottle he could take water/juice/tea in to his fishing trips (both summer and winter), and cross-country skiing. Could someone recommend me some good ones? I'm looking for something around 32oz, durable, good for -30F, good at handling warm liquid, easy to be opened in mittens. Preferably that insulation is in a form of removable sleeve of sorts.
I've yet to find any container that beats an old fashioned Thermos vacuum flask for keeping hot things hot and cold things cold.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I've yet to find any container that beats an old fashioned Thermos vacuum flask for keeping hot things hot and cold things cold.
They are fairly heavy though, I'm looking for something relatively light.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kalstrams posted:

Here are some options and a good breakdown of the choices. http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-travel-mug/

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Can anyone identify the small rectangular shelves on the left of this picture? It's from a 2013 episode of Property Brothers. Looks like it might be IKEA. They specifically say that they are prefab.

Here's another shot.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Can anyone identify the small rectangular shelves on the left of this picture? It's from a 2013 episode of Property Brothers. Looks like it might be IKEA. They specifically say that they are prefab.

Here's another shot.

They're just a kind of cube shelf. Lots of stores sell them, I see them all over the place.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a generic 'suggest me a product' thread, or would I just ask in here? Looking for a good quality sleep mask, preferably something other goons have tried and like.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

jon joe posted:

Is there a generic 'suggest me a product' thread, or would I just ask in here? Looking for a good quality sleep mask, preferably something other goons have tried and like.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684302

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've lived in a duplex for the past 2.5 years, and took over the lease this past September when my roommate moved out. The guy below me was in construction so the back yard was always filled with crap (random lumber, a concrete mixer, etc.) He moved out in February, and the new tenants moved in ~3 weeks ago. I was cleaning the yard today since there was a bunch of leaves & whatnot left over from the fall where his equipment was, and noticed that, along the side of the garage there's still a gigantic stack of closed paint cans and what looks to be some sort of industrial fridge. I didn't notice it sooner because it's hidden from the alley where I park and I hadn't been out there at all while the weather was bad.

That's stuff my landlord needs to come and take care of, correct? I assumed all of his stuff was going to be completely gone, and even if that wasn't his, it was clearly left by someone before I ever lived here and shouldn't just be tucked away out in the corner of the yard, but I also don't think I should have to pay to get it removed.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

kalstrams posted:

You can also try asking in the tea thread if you need more help! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437984

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've lived in a duplex for the past 2.5 years, and took over the lease this past September when my roommate moved out. The guy below me was in construction so the back yard was always filled with crap (random lumber, a concrete mixer, etc.) He moved out in February, and the new tenants moved in ~3 weeks ago. I was cleaning the yard today since there was a bunch of leaves & whatnot left over from the fall where his equipment was, and noticed that, along the side of the garage there's still a gigantic stack of closed paint cans and what looks to be some sort of industrial fridge. I didn't notice it sooner because it's hidden from the alley where I park and I hadn't been out there at all while the weather was bad.

That's stuff my landlord needs to come and take care of, correct? I assumed all of his stuff was going to be completely gone, and even if that wasn't his, it was clearly left by someone before I ever lived here and shouldn't just be tucked away out in the corner of the yard, but I also don't think I should have to pay to get it removed.
It falls to your landlord to deal with it. One approach is to have it removed and disposed of. One approach is to let it sit in the side yard. He may choose either approach.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I will be on a 12 day cruise in the Mediterranean in May. For cell/data I use Sprint in the US. I have a GSM phone. Sprint rates appear to be expensive for use in the Mediterranean.

I run a business and need to be in basically daily contact while I'm gone. Not all day every day, but answer e-mails, voicemails, txts once a day.

What's the cheapest way to do thois?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Taeke posted:

Guess it's not as common as I thought, but it's delicious. Basically a salad cream and relish mix:
OK, what's salad cream?

MEMRI posted:

I do that sometimes, but mostly I use a nail file. My nails are constantly breaking, which really annoys me, so if I don't have a nail file handy I use another nail to do a lovely job of fixing the uneven bit.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Tiggum posted:

OK, what's salad cream?
If you had clicked the link, it say it's a creamy yellow condiment based on an emulsion of about 25-50 percent of oil in water, emulsified by egg yolk and acidified by spirit vinegar. It may include other ingredients such as sugar, mustard, salt, thickener, spices, flavouring and colouring. So it's watered down mayo with the possibility of other condiments mixed in.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

photomikey posted:

I will be on a 12 day cruise in the Mediterranean in May. For cell/data I use Sprint in the US. I have a GSM phone. Sprint rates appear to be expensive for use in the Mediterranean.

I run a business and need to be in basically daily contact while I'm gone. Not all day every day, but answer e-mails, voicemails, txts once a day.

What's the cheapest way to do thois?

T-Mobile offers free international data and texting on their $50+/month postpaid plans http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html
If you intend to use your Sprint phone for this, you should check while stateside that it will function with a T-Mobile sim. Most Sprint phones are locked to prevent use on other domestic carriers, and only a few can be fully unlocked.

Phone calls while roaming internationally on the T-Mobile plan are 20 cents a minute, but you could use something like Google voice and Google Hangouts to make and receive free VOIP calls.

You might want to ask over in the IYG subforum for more suggestions.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How do I check a threads statistics? I vaguely recall a way to do this but can't find it atm.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How do I check a threads statistics? I vaguely recall a way to do this but can't find it atm.

You can see who posted and how much by going to the subforumi ts in and clicking the number of replies next to the thread

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Does a website exist where one can do some very basic photo editing, i.e. paint brush tool to change tint/color? I am curious to see what my house would look like if I painted it a few other colors, but it's not a big enough project to justify downloading/paying for/learning a program like Photoshop.

:effort:

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

drat Bananas posted:

Does a website exist where one can do some very basic photo editing, i.e. paint brush tool to change tint/color? I am curious to see what my house would look like if I painted it a few other colors, but it's not a big enough project to justify downloading/paying for/learning a program like Photoshop.

There are plenty of free alternatives to Photoshop. Here's a list of both free and cheaply priced programs (first hit with Google): http://www.creativebloq.com/photoshop/alternatives-1131641

I've been using GIMP, myself, but I've been told that it's one of the less user-friendly options. Does anyone here recommend Paint.net?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

drat Bananas posted:

How about this?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Thanks guys! The second one is more what I had in mind (no download, just an in-browser editor) and I'm blundering through learning how to work it now. :)

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

I have a first floor apartment on the edge of a city with big, fragile-looking, sidewalk-facing windows. I'm going to be on the other side of the country next week for business. The neighborhood I live in is only relatively safe, and I'm not sure how to secure the place against possible burglary.

Where's the best place to hide an expensive gaming laptop that I'm not bringing with me?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Raimundus posted:

I have a first floor apartment on the edge of a city with big, fragile-looking, sidewalk-facing windows. I'm going to be on the other side of the country next week for business. The neighborhood I live in is only relatively safe, and I'm not sure how to secure the place against possible burglary.

Where's the best place to hide an expensive gaming laptop that I'm not bringing with me?

Under your mattress.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Raimundus posted:

Put up curtains. You could also buy a couple timer switches for your lamps that turn on and off by themselves at night so it looks like someone is home. Also if someone could pick up your mail if the mailbox is outside that could help.

Could you give your laptop to someone to keep while you're away?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Raimundus posted:

Do you have access to the AC/heating ducts? Stash it in there, nobody will be taking off vent covers.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Methanar posted:

Under your mattress.

Or under a couch or chair cushion. In a drop ceiling if you have one. Drain the water out of your toilet tank and put it in there (wrapped in plastic).

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Koivunen posted:

Put up curtains. You could also buy a couple timer switches for your lamps that turn on and off by themselves at night so it looks like someone is home. Also if someone could pick up your mail if the mailbox is outside that could help.

Could you give your laptop to someone to keep while you're away?

My mother has a key and will be coming by during the day to check on my very emotionally dependent cat. If I don't find a good spot here at home, I'll just give it to her.

I had never thought of using light timers. I'll see what the hardware store has.

Mister Kingdom posted:

In a drop ceiling if you have one.

Opening the ceiling is easy. Lowering the tiles back into place so that it doesn't look like I'm hiding something there is significantly harder, as I've already learned. Maybe I just need a taller ladder?

Thanks, folks!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I washed my car recently and was offered this wash and wax solution from my brother's mother in law, it was something sort of like this. After washing my car I noticed this on all my windows and mirrors

I can't get this crap off. I even washed the car 2 other times just using regular dish soap and again with nothing, just water and scrubbing really hard. We even got a magic eraser but that didn't help at all. What else can I do to get this stuff off?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Raimundus posted:

Hide it in your renter's insurance. You do have renter's insurance right? Right?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah this. And a good cloud backup.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Hide it in your renter's insurance. You do have renter's insurance right? Right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raimundus posted:

Put it in your fridge, in one of the drawers if yours has one. Otherwise just stick it behind some food. MAybe put in a plastic bag if you're worried about things leaking on it.

The bonus of it is that the cooler you keep a battery that's not in use the better it holds a charge.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Of course. The policy includes coverage for the laptop.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Raimundus posted:

There are tons of places. Behind a bookshelf, on top of a high cupboard, in a cupboard behind some stuff that's unlikely to be stolen or searched (sheets, towels, etc.), under a bed right back against the wall. I wouldn't put it under a cushion or mattress, because I'd be too worried about coming home, momentarily forgetting it was there, and sitting on it. But if there's going to be someone coming by every day to check on the cat/collect the mail/etc. there's probably no greater chance of you being robbed than any other day, so just do what you normally do.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Put it in your fridge, in one of the drawers if yours has one. Otherwise just stick it behind some food. MAybe put in a plastic bag if you're worried about things leaking on it.

The bonus of it is that the cooler you keep a battery that's not in use the better it holds a charge.

Any b&b guys worth their salt will immediately check "clever" hiding spots like ovens, fridges, drop ceilings.

Get insurance/leave it with a friend like people already suggested.

Comedy option, put Predator on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO2CilomM94

The police probably won't help you recover it but maybe you can doxx the tweakers who took your gaming laptop.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Raimundus posted:

In the wall. Like, break through the plaster, put it in the wall, then plaster it back up. Any place more convenient than that is probably going to be much less secure.

I guess I'm wondering why you bought a gaming laptop if you're not going to travel with it, though...?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Leal posted:

I washed my car recently and was offered this wash and wax solution from my brother's mother in law, it was something sort of like this. After washing my car I noticed this on all my windows and mirrors

I can't get this crap off. I even washed the car 2 other times just using regular dish soap and again with nothing, just water and scrubbing really hard. We even got a magic eraser but that didn't help at all. What else can I do to get this stuff off?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=remove+wax+from+glas&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=LwAZVefPIsLOaNe0gMAF#q=remove+wax+from+auto+glas

quote:

The normal way of removing wax is with a strong solution of all purpose cleaner or a 50% solution of isopropyl alcohol.

Have you tried windex and elbow grease?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Sounds like a good time to buy a safe. A decent size one, large enough for a gaming laptop should be under $200, a couple screws into studs in a closet and you're good to go. Just fill the holes when you move out. Also renters insurance.