Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's merely as large a FAT32 volume as Microsoft tools will create; this was originally to get people using NTFS for security reasons, but eventually became a way to get people using ExFAT for residuals. The fact that the SD association bought into it with SDXC is bad enough (at least you can use fat32format to fix that). The fact that YOU did without any financial incentive, and are spreading toxically wrong information in a utility thread, is loving appalling

lmao this thread owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

What does that post even mean

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's merely as large a FAT32 volume as Microsoft tools will create; this was originally to get people using NTFS for security reasons, but eventually became a way to get people using ExFAT for residuals. The fact that the SD association bought into it with SDXC is bad enough (at least you can use fat32format to fix that). The fact that YOU did without any financial incentive, and are spreading toxically wrong information in a utility thread, is loving appalling.

nolgthorn's dumb yeah but lmao come on dude

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sell me on Xenoblade 3D! I don't really play that much RPGs let alone JRPGs. The last RPG I really got into was Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2. Is this game going to be awesome or what? I obviously never played the Wii version but remember people talking about it when it came out.

Is it going to be accessible to JRPG noobs?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it plays far more like an mmo than a jrpg

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm excited to try Xenoblade since I never got the chance too when it came out on the wii. So instead of spending $80 on just the game I'm going to be spending $300 dollars to play it which is good financial planning on my part :downs:

(I love my New 3ds)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

What does that post even mean

it seems like the unimaginative guy was making fun of nolgothon cause he bought the wrong kind of memory card or something, but i only recognize half the words in the original post so...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
he called something toxic too, a good warning to make sure you don't eat your 3DS

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Buh, what!?

I turned on my 2DS to find most of my games/stuff missing. I went and repaired the SD card. Now I have 72 presents.

Never seen a present with streetpass or spotpass before.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Happy Birthday ta you

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Was there ever any consensus on Persona Q? I was thinking about picking that up lately but I hear mixed things.

Bear in mind that I'm a person who likes both Etrian Odyssey and Persona, so I'm familiar with the quirks of each series.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't played Etrian Odyssey so I can't compare it to those games but I went into it as a Persona/SMT fan and really enjoyed Q

The writing is kinda terrible though

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The gameplay is pretty much worse than EO's in every way and a lot of the characters have been reduced to a single trait, but in the end I'd say it's an alright game. Just not as good as EO or Persona seperatly

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just tried the Nano Assault EX demo, and while I did like it and it had a good variety of stuff, the demo was literally 5 minutes long. If I liked the demo a lot, is the full game worth the $10 price tag?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

Was there ever any consensus on Persona Q? I was thinking about picking that up lately but I hear mixed things.

Bear in mind that I'm a person who likes both Etrian Odyssey and Persona, so I'm familiar with the quirks of each series.

I really enjoyed it for the first 40 hours and then it became a chore to play. I would still consider it a good game though because those first 40 hours are good and hey not too many games are longer than 12 hours nowadays.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Housh posted:

Sell me on Xenoblade 3D! I don't really play that much RPGs let alone JRPGs. The last RPG I really got into was Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2. Is this game going to be awesome or what? I obviously never played the Wii version but remember people talking about it when it came out.

It's very accessible. If you've ever played FF12 or the .hack series, it's like that, but not crap.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Housh posted:

Very much so, yes. All you really need to know is to not go actively hunting sidequests - there's hundreds of them and you will burn out on them if you try. Just grab a few while you're in a town before going out into the local Region to do story stuff.

Xenoblade's one of the few games where just saying "I'm 10 hours in and got bored" doesn't tell the rest of anything, as you could very well have hosed about doing sidequests in the first area.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Very much so, yes. All you really need to know is to not go actively hunting sidequests - there's hundreds of them and you will burn out on them if you try. Just grab a few while you're in a town before going out into the local Region to do story stuff.

Xenoblade's one of the few games where just saying "I'm 10 hours in and got bored" doesn't tell the rest of anything, as you could very well have hosed about doing sidequests in the first area.

Good to know. Sounds a lot like the Hinterlands(?) in Dragon Age Inquisition where I almost burned myself out before starting the game proper. I ended up not liking Inquisition though and quit pretty early on I think.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Housh posted:

Sell me on Xenoblade 3D!

It's one of those all-time great Japanese RPGs, but with all the gameplay hooks and quality of life improvements that you'd expect after 30 years of the JRPG genre. It also has fantastic pacing, and takes a lot of cues from World Of Warcraft, in how it constantly makes you want to 'play just a little more', to see what happens next.

Go into it completely blind, and the general consensus is that you'll probably fall in love with it. Even if you don't, then a cartridge copy of the game will almost certainly be worth 90% of what you paid for it, for many months after the game's release.

-

Edit : And yeah, don't try and min-max stuff, or see everything that there is to see. The idea of the sidequests is that if certain areas or characters really appeal to you, you can run the sidequests and raise affinity, to dive as deep as you want into those characters. Even if you just go through the main game and don't touch any of them, you'll still have 50 hours of very fast-paced storyline to play through.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 29, 2015

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Housh posted:

The combat is nothing like other RPGs. It's real time and there's no mana management or anything since the only thing governing your moves are cooldowns that you can lower by leveling them up.

I just started the game myself a few days ago and it's fantastic so far. Most quests turn themselves in after you complete them, you can quick travel anywhere you want at almost any time, the soundtrack's phenomenal, and the characters are constantly full of life. If you want an RPG that does everything right, this is about as close as it comes.

If there's any drawback I see for the 3DS version, it's that you'll be at the mercy of your batteries.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The combat sounds a bit like WoW, is that roughly accurate? Another thing it sounds like is how FF12 looks in videos to me who had never played it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

greatn posted:

The combat sounds a bit like WoW, is that roughly accurate?

Kind of. Enemies all work on an aggro scale but no one has resources, just cooldowns on moves.

Aggro range only comes into play from the front, too, which is good because a lot of zones have enemies like 9 times your level just hanging out. Most fauna doesn't care about you either and won't attack unless you strike first.

vvv Oh yeah, no consumables at all. Your health refills rapidly as soon as combat ends so you go into every fight full up.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 29, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

The combat sounds a bit like WoW, is that roughly accurate? Another thing it sounds like is how FF12 looks in videos to me who had never played it.

Yeah, that's an apt description. You have a row of abilities to select between and just pop them off as you run around. You can have something like six or seven active, but you'll learn a fair bit more than that so you can switch between different gameplay builds for most characters. There's also Skill Trees that give passive buffs (every character has three, but can unlock two more with deep deep sidequesting if you want to), along with the ability to share those passive buffs amongst your party freely regardless of your active Skill Tree.

There's also no inventory management (aside from Collectibles and Gems), so your health restoration's coming from your character skills.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sounds good to me.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Xenomrph posted:

I just tried the Nano Assault EX demo, and while I did like it and it had a good variety of stuff, the demo was literally 5 minutes long. If I liked the demo a lot, is the full game worth the $10 price tag?

If you have a Kmart near you they had it for $5, that's when I picked it up. If you liked the demo you'll like the rest of it.. I fell like it's good enough to warrant $10.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you have any recommendations on which types of sidequests to choose? Or is it all "just pick a few that sound good"?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hopeandjoy posted:

Do you have any recommendations on which types of sidequests to choose? Or is it all "just pick a few that sound good"?

Most are just the generic WoW filler "Kill/collect X macguffins", but there's a couple scattered about that are a little more character-interactive. They all raise Affinity very very slowly for a town/region, which will open up sidequest chains at higher tiers for Monado Skills or Skill Trees for characters.

The only sidequest chain you absolutely need to do is a few hours (story-wise) into the game at Colony 6. Take the time to complete the first Level of restoring buildings, as it'll get you a Portable Reactor as a reward. Take that to the Gen Crafter at Colony 9, and you get a portable Gem Furnace as a reward. It'll mean you can craft Gems (minor stat buffs slotted into Weapons and Armor) anytime you want instead of having to fast-travel back to Colony 9 all the time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

midwest ink posted:

If you have a Kmart near you they had it for $5, that's when I picked it up. If you liked the demo you'll like the rest of it.. I fell like it's good enough to warrant $10.
Sweet, thanks for the tip! :hfive:

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
So does anyone know if there's any way to connect the New 3DS to a usb wi-fi adaptor? We don't have wireless and I've relied solely on an adaptor for as long as I've had any of my DSes, and the New 3DS flat out doesn't have an option for it. Are there any alternatives I could use or am I flat out of luck?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

hopeandjoy posted:

I've been accepting every single quest I come across since there's no limit to how many active quests you can have going at once. Due to their nature of "kill this" or "find this" you complete a good number of them just by progressing through the game or filling out your map. It's a game that really rewards exploration.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Suspicious Cook posted:

I've been accepting every single quest I come across since there's no limit to how many active quests you can have going at once. Due to their nature of "kill this" or "find this" you complete a good number of them just by progressing through the game or filling out your map. It's a game that really rewards exploration.

Oh man, it's one of those games. I'm hosed.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Blaine the Train posted:

So does anyone know if there's any way to connect the New 3DS to a usb wi-fi adaptor? We don't have wireless and I've relied solely on an adaptor for as long as I've had any of my DSes, and the New 3DS flat out doesn't have an option for it. Are there any alternatives I could use or am I flat out of luck?

get a wireless router like a normal human being in 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

get a wireless router like a normal human being in 2015

This

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Housh posted:

Sell me on Xenoblade 3D!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkmn347wsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweRl4LZlmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg

Honestly the only reason I'm not posting the whole OST is cause Xenoblade as a whole works better the less you know going in, music included.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ok. I'm sold by the WoW-ish fight system. I hope they didn't cut out any music from the portable version.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Honestly the only reason I'm not posting the whole OST is cause Xenoblade as a whole works better the less you know going in, music included.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCl5b-YuVTw

The live recordings sound so great.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I had already preordered the game but 10 seconds into that first track my excitement went through the roof.

Holy poo poo that is some good vidya game music

Are they really going to be able to get all this on the 3ds though? I already know the graphics are taking a hit. Also it's such a small screen to play something really big. I've considered just Ebaying it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Xenoblade 3DS will probably have all of it. Nintendo's already telling people they will need an SD card 8 gigs or bigger just to fit the digital version.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

This song is the #1 reason I go out of my way to look for named enemies. The combat's legit fun as is, but having this blasting over it seals the deal. You could say I'm really feelin' it.

If I have one actual complaint about the game, it's that there's no good quest tracking system. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to other RPGs that have everything pinpointed on the map for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

I had already preordered the game but 10 seconds into that first track my excitement went through the roof.

Holy poo poo that is some good vidya game music

Are they really going to be able to get all this on the 3ds though? I already know the graphics are taking a hit. Also it's such a small screen to play something really big. I've considered just Ebaying it.

Why do you think only the new3DS's can play it? :v:

Seriously though; the n3DSXL has great speakers for the soundtrack to blare through, and if you think Monster Hunter looks fine on an XL screen you'll have no issues.