Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would assume if they would stop at the Cell Saga it is because they've been at it for years now and probably can't commit to finishing another season after this one with life and increasing work obligations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
As far as I know their position is, we will keep doing this, but they won't commit to anything for obvious reasons.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fucknag posted:

Dunno where I heard this, but I think they're stopping after Cell out of respect for Toriyama, since he was kind of pressured into continuing the comic and doing the Buu saga.

That's the most that has been said

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 29, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sorry for being wrong about anime youtube parodies everyone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think it was more hearing for the thousandth time "He wanted to quit after [insert arc here]!' which is a bit annoying.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think it was more hearing for the thousandth time "He wanted to quit after [insert arc here]!' which is a bit annoying.

Those rumors are weird when you think of it, because we DID see what happens when Toriyama quits when the higher ups don't want - they made GT without him.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Buu arc was great

Buu haters dont know whats up

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Buu arc is pretty cool but in the other hand Supreme Kai is in it so I can kinda get where the haters are coming from.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

projecthalaxy posted:

Buu arc is pretty cool but in the other hand Supreme Kai is in it so I can kinda get where the haters are coming from.

but Supreme Kai would actually make their job easier because he's such a loving joke that they wouldn't have to change his lines or redub him at all.

I mean imagine the scene;

'I'm a hundred times stronger then Frezia'
*Picture of Super Frezia*

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 29, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Fucknag posted:

Sorry for being wrong about anime youtube parodies everyone.

It's just that this dumb "Cell was the intended ending" bullwhip is really persistent and really annoying.

e X fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 29, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

e X posted:

It's just that this dumb "Cell was the intended ending" bullwhip is really persistent and really annoying.
It probably was the intended ending at some point, but it wasn't like Toriyama wept as Shonen Jump's editors put a gun to his head. He just decided to keep going.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guys the sixth episode of the Garlic Jr. Saga was pretty clearly the intended ending for the franchise.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Endorph posted:

It probably was the intended ending at some point, but it wasn't like Toriyama wept as Shonen Jump's editors put a gun to his head. He just decided to keep going.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/cell/

Bottom line, the only point you can really point to any arc being the intended ending is the very first one, since Dragonball started out as a short riff on Journey to the West. But everything past that is really just people trying to discredit something they don't like. Which is a bit weird, since Toriyama was always writing at the seat of his pants, so there is really zero difference in the writing style anyway.

e X fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 29, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

e X posted:

this should conclude that nonsense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I've read that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm watching Dragon Ball Kai since I haven't watched Dragon Ball since I was a kid and Xenoverse plus the new movie got me into the mood, and i wasn't going to watch the entire original series (much as it had the Latin American dub, which was awesome and I miss like this, but I'll hear them again once Resurrection "F" is out here anyways).

It still holds up. My kid memories are incomplete and forgot lots of awesome stuff. But holy poo poo Namek is long even in Kai format. Started on 17/18 I think, I'm on episode 41 and Final Form Freeza just appeared last episode. Not like I'm complaining (okay, I am, but it's mostly because my strongest memory is still Gohan vs Cell and I want to get to that and see if it really is as good as I remember)

That said, is there any easy way to watch the uncut English dub on the internet? I've gotten really accustomed to the voices thanks to video games, and while I like the Japanese voices too, I kind of find the dub better in that regard. The Latin American dub is even more superior, but sigh, Kai was dubbed with an entirely different and far worse cast. At least Battle of Gods got the cool voices and Resurrection "F" should as well.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Onmi posted:

this should conclude that nonsense

:allears:

The origin story of 16,17,18,19,Gero and Cell is my favorite piece of DBZ trivia.

I think Torishima is somewhat wrong by the way. The fat clown was kinda dumb, but Gero had a kick-rear end design!

e X fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 29, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

e X posted:

The origin story of 16,17,18,19,Gero and Cell is my favorite piece of DBZ trivia.

It really is great. "Fat clown and an old man" is so appropriate.

The best part of that article is admitting they have no clue why Toriyama took the opinion of a guy who didn't even work for him anymore so seriously.

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said, is there any easy way to watch the uncut English dub on the internet? I've gotten really accustomed to the voices thanks to video games, and while I like the Japanese voices too, I kind of find the dub better in that regard. The Latin American dub is even more superior, but sigh, Kai was dubbed with an entirely different and far worse cast. At least Battle of Gods got the cool voices and Resurrection "F" should as well.

Seconding this, does anyone know why Funimation doesn't put Kai on their website like everything else?

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 29, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Why doesn't piccolo ever spit up demons in any DBZ episode? That could have been helpful

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

mabels big day posted:

Why doesn't piccolo ever spit up demons in any DBZ episode? That could have been helpful

All his parental needs are fulfilled by Gohan?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

e X posted:

All his parental needs are fulfilled by Gohan?

Well now he should spit up little demon babies so Pan has some playmates.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
His kids would interfere with meditation time.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

His kids would interfere with nap time.

FTFY

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Meditation time.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Because he can't. According to the guidebooks only Dragon Clan Namekians can reproduce and Piccolo is a Warrior-Type so no kids for him. Piccolo Daimo could because he was basically a evil Dragon Clan member from being half of Kami.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Horrible Taste posted:

Because he can't. According to the guidebooks only Dragon Clan Namekians can reproduce and Piccolo is a Warrior-Type so no kids for him. Piccolo Daimo could because he was basically a evil Dragon Clan member from being half of Kami.

turning piccolo into an alien instead of a demon really complicated poo poo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Horrible Taste posted:

But Piccolo is his dad, so he should have the same abilities. Daizenshuu 2 outright confirms that Piccolo kept all of his dad's skills.

It's likely Piccolo doesn't use Pokopen because it's kind of an evil technique, it involves giving birth but before that horribly mutating the babies into demons. Plus, it takes part of King Piccolo's life and a lot of energy (which becomes a non-issue when he gets eternal youth, but the current Piccolo does not have that), so it's way too impractical.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Toriyama clearly quit DBZ in the middle of the fight with the Ginyu Force. Why else would it take so long for Toonami to get new episodes?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't know Pilaf and co were in BotG but this movie gets more amazing every second.
Fake edit:
Trunks/Mai is uh

A thing

E: VEGETA

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 29, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Blaze Dragon posted:

But Piccolo is his dad, so he should have the same abilities. Daizenshuu 2 outright confirms that Piccolo kept all of his dad's skills.

It's likely Piccolo doesn't use Pokopen because it's kind of an evil technique, it involves giving birth but before that horribly mutating the babies into demons. Plus, it takes part of King Piccolo's life and a lot of energy (which becomes a non-issue when he gets eternal youth, but the current Piccolo does not have that), so it's way too impractical.

I thought Piccolo was still Immortal from his dad's wish since he's kind of a direct clone.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Stallion Cabana posted:

I thought Piccolo was still Immortal from his dad's wish since he's kind of a direct clone.

I don't know if you meant to use the word "immortal" because that's like triple wrong but if you're referring to King Piccolo's wish for eternal youth it's inconclusive whether that applies to Piccolo Jr. since he never ages enough for it to come up. He's in his early 20's by the end of the Buu Saga. But the safe bet is probably not, either way.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How is the warrior-type vs healer-type vs Dragon Clan stuff even supposed to work? People keep saying that Dragon Clan Namekians can't fight, but Kami could fight. Kami also couldn't heal anyone. Maybe Dragon Clan Namekians can come in both fighter and healer varieties?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

TriffTshngo posted:

I don't know if you meant to use the word "immortal" because that's like triple wrong but if you're referring to King Piccolo's wish for eternal youth it's inconclusive whether that applies to Piccolo Jr. since he never ages enough for it to come up. He's in his early 20's by the end of the Buu Saga. But the safe bet is probably not, either way.

I did mean Eternal Youth, yeah.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GRUBS IN THE GROUND, IT WAS SO SERENE

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So does Piccolo ever have an angsty teen period?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well I mean becoming Gokus friend is a pretty "gently caress you dad" moment.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Testekill posted:

So does Piccolo ever have an angsty teen period?

Why do you think he spent so much time standing alone in wastelands?

He even grows out of it after the Cell saga and hangs out on the Lookout teaching the younguns.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm watching Dragon Ball Kai since I haven't watched Dragon Ball since I was a kid and Xenoverse plus the new movie got me into the mood, and i wasn't going to watch the entire original series (much as it had the Latin American dub, which was awesome and I miss like this, but I'll hear them again once Resurrection "F" is out here anyways).

It still holds up. My kid memories are incomplete and forgot lots of awesome stuff. But holy poo poo Namek is long even in Kai format. Started on 17/18 I think, I'm on episode 41 and Final Form Freeza just appeared last episode. Not like I'm complaining (okay, I am, but it's mostly because my strongest memory is still Gohan vs Cell and I want to get to that and see if it really is as good as I remember)

Hulu rotates through the series about once a year. Right now they've got through the vegeta fight and the end of buu saga up. I imagine in a few months they'll go back into the nnnnamek episodes and onward. Full run of original Dragon ball though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Okay yeah outside of the actual SSG/fight part Battle of the Gods is INCREDIBLE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It was awhile ago we were talking about DBZ's universal appeal, and I finally just found this again, if anyone is still interested in that.

• Locked thread