Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jack Gladney posted:

Cap quit his job to do movie reviews full-time because he believed God would provide, but nobody has donated any money to him since. The latest "new release" on his site is Spider-Man 3.

He should make a godstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

He should make a godstarter

He'd probably do well with a GodFundMe

He could even take donations through Papal

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bobkatt013 posted:

The Battle of Algiers

Good Christian films - Life of Brian and Last Temptation of Christ

JC Superstar is mad cornball but is a great watch. Pasolini has already been mentioned.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

He'd probably do well with a GodFundMe

He could even take donations through Papal

Actually, fundamentalist Protestants like Cap don't like Catholics very much at all and would never take money from them.

and it would make more sense with regular monthly expenses to do a Praytreon anyway

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The mission is an amazing Christian film with a great Morricone score.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

And come to think of it, Terrence Malick is a Catholic, and it seems like it comes through pretty strongly in his movies. Tree of Life is obviously religious at least and could easily be read as specifically Christian. I haven't seen To the Wonder or Knight of Cups but they look very, very Catholic.

Then again a lot of Protestants don't consider Catholicism Christian, so they wouldn't count as Christian films :v:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Lars and the Real Girl is a pretty good example of a well-done film about modern people and relationships that doesn't caricature either them or Christianity.

Martin McDonagh (In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths) clearly writes from a Christian (and Catholic) viewpoint, and while I wouldn't expect those films to be screened at a church, they are still exploring themes that aren't often touched on in in that way.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The original Bad Lieutenant is explicitly a Catholic film.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The first Chronicles of Narnia movie is a pretty good Christian movie. Kinda glad the series seems to have died off before it could reach The Last Battle, though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I guess the real problem isn't Christian film, It's conservative films.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The_Rob posted:

So I guess the real problem isn't Christian film, It's conservative films.

The problem is bad and mediocre films. If Christian filmmakers had a bigger budget and even slightly more secularized beliefs, their melodramas, family flicks, and comedies would be just as dispensable.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah but the devotion to conservatism/evangelism prevents the films from being any better. Even if one of these directors was capable of making a good movie and had the money to do it, they would still be constrained by the requirement to reassure religious people with a persecution complex that they're right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

The problem is bad and mediocre films. If Christian filmmakers had a bigger budget and even slightly more secularized beliefs, their melodramas, family flicks, and comedies would be just as dispensable.

Yeah. Its not that the focus is in the message, how many movies do you see year in year out that are exactly that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah but the devotion to conservatism/evangelism prevents the films from being any better. Even if one of these directors was capable of making a good movie and had the money to do it, they would still be constrained by the requirement to reassure religious people with a persecution complex that they're right

It's also possible to do things like my example of Chronicles of Narnia, which was a strong and widely appealing Christian movie that just barely wasn't explicitly about Christianity.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also I mean conservative films more in the political sense than the ideological sense.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

icantfindaname posted:

This is one of those 'all films are political/ideological' things. Christian filmmakers are not limited by the ideologies that their films espouse - that is what the movie is actually about. The ideological limitations are brought to it by the spectator, who already has their own secular ideological equivalent of the escapist fantasies that popular cinema creates. The vast majority of films are not about questioning status quo ideas and values, whether they be religious or political or social or economic. They are about the didactic, comfortable arrangement of familiar themes and motifs.

The thing that makes The Last Temptation of Christ, Bad Lieutenant, and The Gospel According to St. Matthew such good Christian (specifically, Catholic) films is not that they are less ideological - it's that the ways in which they engage ideology is uncomfortable and alienating, coupled with a greater command of cinematic language, areas in which both their low budget indie and secular mainstream contemporaries are largely lacking. All of these films are consequently limited because they are frequently more extreme in their spiritual ideological frameworks. In Last Temptation, gnosticism and secularism desecrates traditions of moral absolutism and breaks the promise between God and man. In Bad Lieutenant, the police force and prison industrial complex are presented as ideologically antithetical to Christ's doctrine of forgiveness. In The Gospel, Jesus is an apocalyptic prophet and antisocial rear end in a top hat who is trying to scare you into being a good person.

These ideas are just as limiting to contemporary secularism as the Evangelical independent cinema. These are great works of cinema because they break away from the comfortable consumerist indoctrination and escapism that is the vast majority of commercial cinema.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 28, 2015

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
There's tons of low-budget secular movies every year as corny and preachy as the Christian ones in this thread, it's just these tend to float to the top because they're marketed a little more aggressively and embraced by their philistinic built-in audience, as opposed to just getting dumped to VOD, or a few airings on basic cable in the daytime, and sinking without a trace.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jack Gladney posted:

Cap quit his job to do movie reviews full-time because he believed God would provide, but nobody has donated any money to him since. The latest "new release" on his site is Spider-Man 3.

I saw reviews for Avengers and Captain America 1, though. So he's been active at least up through 2012, I guess.

His reviews were always sort of amazing and I tried one time to figure out a film that would hit his 100 perfect clean score. Turned out it was Mary Poppins.

http://www.capalert.com/capreports/marypop/marypop.htm

It's sort of interesting that in a lot of films ANY sort of display of people doing incredible things with superpowers is deemed some sort of offense to God, but excused is Mary Poppins. Even the 'magic' is excused on account of "Well, she's not a WITCH!" It's been a while since I've seen it, but there's got to be something in there worthy of a point or two deduction...

Meanwhile, The Little Vampire had points taken off for Wanton Violence/Crime for: "two kids sitting atop an aloft blimp"

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Brother Sun, Sister Moon is a fascinating movie directed by a gay Christian. Unsure what to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev2d92_W47Y

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Nckdictator posted:

Brother Sun, Sister Moon is a fascinating movie directed by a gay Christian. Unsure what to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev2d92_W47Y

drat, score by Riz Ortolani and songs by Donovan?! Sign me up!

edit: Lol, I find it hilarious that this is also the guy who made Endless Love. What a psycho movie that was, this has to be good.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 29, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think the problem is that it's the conservative ideology that holds Christian movies back. Good ones would probably come off as liberal and the audience for these movie will have none of it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I saw reviews for Avengers and Captain America 1, though. So he's been active at least up through 2012, I guess.

His reviews were always sort of amazing and I tried one time to figure out a film that would hit his 100 perfect clean score. Turned out it was Mary Poppins.

http://www.capalert.com/capreports/marypop/marypop.htm

It's sort of interesting that in a lot of films ANY sort of display of people doing incredible things with superpowers is deemed some sort of offense to God, but excused is Mary Poppins. Even the 'magic' is excused on account of "Well, she's not a WITCH!" It's been a while since I've seen it, but there's got to be something in there worthy of a point or two deduction...

Meanwhile, The Little Vampire had points taken off for Wanton Violence/Crime for: "two kids sitting atop an aloft blimp"

I remember that he loves original Star Trek, even though probably 30% of it is Captain Kirk being smug about killing or discrediting somebody's god. I wonder if he saw the one with the Roman planet where the twist at the end is that Jesus is real and just shows up on different planets sometimes. He also says The Next Generation ruined Star Trek because the character of Riker was too promiscuous. Not like Captain Kirk, you see.

Anyway, the guy's a huge hypocrite and I can believe that he easily dismisses Mary Poppins' magic and willful undermining of Mr. Banks' authority while blasting, say, Spider-Man for unnatural and ungodly powers.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
It's interesting in his review of Mary Poppins that he says LOTR is an example of what not to do because I read an essay by a Christian about how the magic in LOTR was an example of how to write good magic in a Christian framework. Namely, the essayist said that any "good" magic user must fit the following criteria:

1. They must not be the protagonist; we must not see things from their point of view
2. When we meet them they are fully-formed; they aren't learning magic, they already know how to do their stuff
3. Their magic is used only to help the protagonist in their quest or help the protagonist grow as a person

They emphasized that in such a story it must always be clear that the protagonist can never become like the magic user or learn to do what the magic user does, just as a human can never become an angel. It was an interesting essay, I wish I could find it.

Of course, I wonder what the essayist would say about all those apostles that ended up doing Jesus power things.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Xibanya posted:

Of course, I wonder what the essayist would say about all those apostles that ended up doing Jesus power things.

I imagine it wouldn't make a dent in his theory. It's never been a part of Judeo-Christian mythology that only Jesus could do 'magic' things. The more important idea, which I'm glossing from the bullet-points you're giving, is that the 'magic' within a story isn't something that is arrogantly learned by the protagonist, who assumes they have the right to yield such powers. Rather 'magic' comes to them via deux ex machina, some moral force that acts under the auspices of invisible author as God, and assists/blesses the protagonist.

Basically, 'Christian fantasy literature' shouldn't enchant readers with fantasies in which they identify with characters who just decide that they are the Lord's elect. They should confront them with scenarios in which the protagonist cannot accomplish anything without divine intervention, where the Lord decides if and how they are worthy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Evangelism just doesn't make for a good plot. You can write whatever you want but if the absolute core of your movie is "We're right, and everyone else is wrong up until the point they accept our incredibly narrow point of view", then anyone who hasn't already accepted it as the truth or a vulnerable person is going to be moved by it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I liked this bit in his review of Frequency about the potential offense to God that was the time travel plot of the movie...

"I can find no specific Scripture speaking directly to altering the past to improve the future or about changing the past to change what has happened or will happen. If anyone can fund such Scripture, please let me know"

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Evangelism just doesn't make for a good plot. You can write whatever you want but if the absolute core of your movie is "We're right, and everyone else is wrong up until the point they accept our incredibly narrow point of view", then anyone who hasn't already accepted it as the truth or a vulnerable person is going to be moved by it.

Yeah I think this is really the heart of it. Catholic movies can focus on intellectual, emotional, or even material crises (again, see Malick) without touching evangelism, so there's a lot of flexibility in terms of plot. It also means you can have "loosely" Catholic movies. Conservative Protestant movies are virtually all "Will this nonbeliever come to Christ? Watch to find out!" From what I can tell, Old Fashioned seems to be an exception to this, though, since I gather the characters are all Christian from the start of the movie, though even then the movie revolves around the fact that they weren't when they were younger.

This is actually why I'm hesitant to say that Christian Mingle is a Christian movie without seeing it - people ragged on its premise but it seemed to me that the trailer hinted that the movie's message was actually "you shouldn't place too much emphasis on dating people within your own faith, agnostic people are no different from Christians". Maybe someone can correct me on that.

edit: Corbin Bernsen seems to be irritated a lot with Christian movies so maybe Christian Mingle does have a slightly different message? I'm not about to see it to find out :v:

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 29, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Xibanya posted:

Sounds like Papist idolatry/crypto-paganism to me

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I have no idea if Christian Mingle is any good(I would assume it is not) but this Christian movie podcast Corbin Bernsen was on is neat

http://morethanonelesson.com/episode-122-with-special-guest-corbin-bernsen/

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

I have no idea if Christian Mingle is any good(I would assume it is not) but this Christian movie podcast Corbin Bernsen was on is neat

http://morethanonelesson.com/episode-122-with-special-guest-corbin-bernsen/
This is a great conversation, thanks. Bernsen seems to have his head on right, and so do the guys behind this podcast.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I'm really loving this thread right now, but I keep getting caught on the use of "conservative." There's no reason there couldn't be a good theologically conservative Christian film. A politically conservative Christian film, however, would probably suck.

For example, and I can't recall if it even has Christian leanings, The Ten Commandments is conservative, and it's a very good film. Same with The Prince of Egypt. Contrast with Jesus Christ Superstar, which is theologically liberal. All are awesome.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

lol at the people itt unironically saying that "a movie that advances a conservative agenda cannot be any good", when that exact sentiment reversed politically is what leads to the movies in this thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DStecks posted:

lol at the people itt unironically saying that "a movie that advances a conservative agenda cannot be any good", when that exact sentiment reversed politically is what leads to the movies in this thread.

How so? Do you mean that Old Fashioned and Alongside Night are going to radicalize someone into making communist propaganda films structured around a bricklayer being pressured into reading Marx and building bombs in the basement?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

DStecks posted:

But think about it: a conservative agenda involves deferring to already established power structures. So a conservative story involves obeying power and/or opposing those with less power. That just isn't a very fun narrative. Haven't you ever heard of an underdog? It's much more interesting to see a story about defending the powerless AGAINST the powerful.

Probably why the best religious films use actual stories from the bible, since the protagonists can be reasonably construed as not being part of the dominant power structure of their society.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

How so? Do you mean that Old Fashioned and Alongside Night are going to radicalize someone into making communist propaganda films structured around a bricklayer being pressured into reading Marx and building bombs in the basement?

I literally cannot parse what you're saying, so let me drop out of GBS mode to explain that what I meant is that these movies exist to appeal to people who can't tolerate movies with what they view as liberal agendas. I know some of them, and they literally consider the film's "moral correctness" as the primary, or even only, measure of its quality; so saying that a right-wing movie can never be good is the precise thing these people are saying, just swap out the word left for right.

Xibanya posted:

But think about it: a conservative agenda involves deferring to already established power structures. So a conservative story involves obeying power and/or opposing those with less power. That just isn't a very fun narrative. Haven't you ever heard of an underdog? It's much more interesting to see a story about defending the powerless AGAINST the powerful.

Are you going to genuinely argue that the only good narrative is an underdog story? Because that's a laughably simplistic and shallow view of, well, storytelling as a whole. I ask you to think about it: are all detective stories inherently bad, because a criminal, inherently, is an underdog against the police. Your position also disregards that a fictional story can frame a political conservative as an underdog: would a movie about a senator trying to pass anti-gay legislation, fighting a liberal controlled government, be a "much more interesting" story purely by virtue of his being an underdog?

The fact of the matter is that there are dozens, hundreds of films that we would consider great that still have a politically conservative perspective, the currently hippest example to name being Ghostbusters. You can even make an argument that the action genre is inherently conservative, due to inherently being about the righteous application of violence.

At the end of the day, you're rating a film's quality by its political stance, and that is exactly what the people who pay money to see God's Not Dead do, they've simply arrived at the opposite conclusion to you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's a fundamental difference between Atlas Shrugged and (say) Red Dawn, but it's not because of the politics of the filmmakers.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I'm pretty sure we're just trying to figure out what makes conservative Christian films frequently suck on an objective level.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DStecks posted:

I literally cannot parse what you're saying, so let me drop out of GBS mode to explain that what I meant is that these movies exist to appeal to people who can't tolerate movies with what they view as liberal agendas. I know some of them, and they literally consider the film's "moral correctness" as the primary, or even only, measure of its quality; so saying that a right-wing movie can never be good is the precise thing these people are saying, just swap out the word left for right.

Right, but for different reasons. When people say that conservative movies like that are bad, they're assessing the quality of the art, which is what makes regular movies good. It's not only ideological to laugh at people who don't know how to make movies in the same way that it's ideological to say that God's Not Dead is the only good movie made in the last five years because god wins and women know their place.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm pretty sure we're just trying to figure out what makes conservative Christian films frequently suck on an objective level.

In that case it's probably because few to none of them are actually trained/educated as filmmakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kangra posted:

Martin McDonagh (In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths) clearly writes from a Christian (and Catholic) viewpoint, and while I wouldn't expect those films to be screened at a church, they are still exploring themes that aren't often touched on in in that way.

you seen Calvary yet? written/directed by Martin McDonagh's brother John. one of the best films of 2014 and one of the best religious films in a long time

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2015

• Locked thread