Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Blue Star posted:

How is the warrior-type vs healer-type vs Dragon Clan stuff even supposed to work? People keep saying that Dragon Clan Namekians can't fight, but Kami could fight. Kami also couldn't heal anyone. Maybe Dragon Clan Namekians can come in both fighter and healer varieties?

It's not that Dragon Clan members can't fight, it's just Warrior-Types are naturally stronger at birth and possibly mature faster (Piccolo grew up way faster than Dende). Kami could fight because he trained, and we see Moori is able to shoot ki blasts but most Dragon Clan probably aren't interested in learning to fight and would rather go plant trees.

Kami probably couldn't heal because he never learned how, he did grow up alone on a mountain after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I don't know who that is, but he's rad. Super rad.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

mabels big day posted:

Why doesn't piccolo ever spit up demons in any DBZ episode? That could have been helpful

Really?

Tambourine: Beat up Goku while he was exhausted, got torn apart with viciousness Goku didn't show again until Frieza.

Cymbal: Got killed in one hit by loving Yajirobe.

Drum: Killed in one hit by Goku.

Piano: Had no purpose at all.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 29, 2015

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Tambourine killed Krillin, which makes him like at least four Raditzes.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

BattleCattle posted:

I don't know who that is, but he's rad. Super rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2oUXfGLORo

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

AshB posted:

Tambourine killed Krillin, which makes him like at least four Raditzes.

Tambourine killed Krillin in Dragonball, before Goku got the Sacred Water powerup or trained with Kami.

Tambourine really can't compare to Raditz.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Tambourine killed Krillin when Goku and Yajirobe were in the same power tier.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cDI6GbfxF0

This doesn't tell me anything, this tells me less than nothing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Noooooooooo Vegeta is going to be the hero, he has to be :negative:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Didn't the whole 'absorbing the power of SSJGod' dealio come about because Toriyama thought having more and more new forms was a mistake?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Justin_Brett posted:

Really?

Tambourine: Beat up Goku while he was exhausted, got torn apart with viciousness Goku didn't show again until Frieza.

Cymbal: Got killed in one hit by loving Yajirobe.

Drum: Killed in one hit by Goku.

Well it'd make sense that the more powerful Piccolo becomes, the stronger any spawn of his would become as well

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

What even happened to him?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Stairmaster posted:

What even happened to him?

He got crushed while Piccolo and Goku were fighting

By the way, since I was watching some DBH videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4hg91rGDhw

I thought it was nice after all the Videl/Spoppovich talk to see Pan completely schooling the guy.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Onmi posted:

I thought it was nice after all the Videl/Spoppovich talk to see Pan completely schooling the guy.

Super Saiyan THAT'S MY BULMA intact as well.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmpb_0K6qI4

Marcus Brimage is a UFC fighter who has been told by his cornermen in between rounds to go Super Saiyan and power up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've seen DBZ stuff all over Europe and its clearly all over America as well

Buff dudes blowing poo poo up with punches and energy beams apparently has a global appeal

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

canoshiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmpb_0K6qI4

Marcus Brimage is a UFC fighter who has been told by his cornermen in between rounds to go Super Saiyan and power up.

Similar note, Puerto Rican wrestler Mr. 450 is a massive DB fan and his twitter account is even SaiyanPrince450

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zzulu posted:

I've seen DBZ stuff all over Europe and its clearly all over America as well

Buff dudes blowing poo poo up with punches and energy beams apparently has a global appeal

And Australia, and of course Japan. Hell my parents watched it when my brother was watching it (I didn't like it because it was the Frieza arc and the show moved soooooo slooooooow) a lot of people just loved the poo poo out of it.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Wow, seeing Master Shen coaching and just doing things in a DBZ thing feels really weird.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Petiso posted:

Wow, seeing Master Shen coaching and just doing things in a DBZ thing feels really weird.

And check out Chiaotzu paralyzing #17! It would've been cool if he'd trained up the psychic stuff instead of the punching, he could've gotten to like Guldo or Freeza tier skills with the telekinesis and the imprisonment ball and poo poo. Just being really fragile but able to gently caress dudes up if he gets a clear shot.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Why does tumblr love subtitled gifs so much? Have they never heard of video?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Shyrka posted:

And check out Chiaotzu paralyzing #17! It would've been cool if he'd trained up the psychic stuff instead of the punching, he could've gotten to like Guldo or Freeza tier skills with the telekinesis and the imprisonment ball and poo poo. Just being really fragile but able to gently caress dudes up if he gets a clear shot.

A clear shot that Tien gives him an opening for? I'd buy it.

sharktamer posted:

Uh, im going to assume its quickness of media. Why wait for a video to load when you can have a few frame gif with text to show the "bit you care about." :shrug: I agree its silly, but it works.

Endorph posted:

The embedded video player on tumblr is awful.

Ah.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 29, 2015

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Re: universal DBZ appeal, I'm surprised to see Funi sponsoring things like this only so recently. Songs and raps featuring lines about DBZ have been around for a while. DBZ was always super popular when I was growing up (we were all Black at my schools), and people would talk about it during lunch, class, etc. A lot of people liked Vegeta and Piccolo, and no one really loved Goku that much. In fact, to go back to the discussion comparing him to Superman, I'd say he was received similar to Superman. He had his cool moments, but was just too good/perfect, while other characters were seen as more interesting because they weren't always good guys and you didn't know if they would win their fights.

Anyway, I always think it's so cool to see how people everywhere like DBZ. It has a level of universal appeal that you just don't see that often. Looney Tunes and Disney are on that level, but DBZ is surprisingly close considering it's a decades-old comic and show conceived by one person. I wonder how Toriyama feels about it. Is he surprised to see that people all over the world love that he drew pictures of people punching and shooting beams at one another?

Edit: Oops, quoted the wrong post.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharktamer posted:

The embedded video player on tumblr is awful.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
So I was just watching some of the earlier episodes and something didn't really make sense to me. Napa powers up on earth when fighting goku but I thought the idea of changing power levels was something only the earthlings and namekians could do and that vegeta learned how to do it after fighting on earth? How could Napa power up and get stronger then?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Suppressing power levels is something only earthlings and namekians did. Nappa's power up wasn't really conscious control of his ki, and he clearly didn't bother suppressing it ever, it was mostly just him psyching himself up/getting ready to go at Goku with everything he had.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

gently caress, Frieza was a terrifying bastard and his fights with nearly every z fighter still has me on the edge of my seat.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
DBZ is the one anime Ive never heard bad things about from people who don't generally like anime.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deakul posted:

gently caress, Frieza was a terrifying bastard and his fights with nearly every z fighter still has me on the edge of my seat.

Yea, I'm rewatching it and just finished the Frieza saga again. Still had me tense because I couldn't remember how they kept getting out of jams. I forgot how hopelessly outclassed Goku really was by Frieza.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Trying to watch the series again, and hitting a roadblock in the Buu series. God, the Gotenks episodes are so bad.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Eonwe posted:

Yea, I'm rewatching it and just finished the Frieza saga again. Still had me tense because I couldn't remember how they kept getting out of jams. I forgot how hopelessly outclassed Goku really was by Frieza.

Yeah, it's easy to forget how much Freeza was just CLOWNING Goku. Hell, he nearly drowned him just by standing on his head.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Plan Z posted:

Trying to watch the series again, and hitting a roadblock in the Buu series. God, the Gotenks episodes are so bad.

I don't have the Kai version of the Buu Saga so I'm stuck with the original, is it really that bad? I don't remember much about the Buu Saga except for Buu himself.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I liked the Gotenks episodes because Goku was basically like 'Hey Piccolo you raised my Kid right? Here raise these two too because I gotta go' and Piccolo spends the whole time looking like he wishes he had his Good Student again.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
If you don't like Gotenks you are a fun-hater

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Deakul posted:

I don't have the Kai version of the Buu Saga so I'm stuck with the original, is it really that bad? I don't remember much about the Buu Saga except for Buu himself.

It wouldn't be bad if it wasn't so heinously drawn-out. There are literally episodes where you have to watch Piccolo stalling Buu in almost real-time. Then there are episodes where you have to watch the terrible Gotenks comedy bits with zero plot progression. Pretty much anything without Gotenks is paced similarly to any Z episodes, but these drag loving on. Kind of a shame that there's so much boring filler, since Buu's a genuinely creepy and unnerving villain.

Out of everything, I think I missed Piccolo's original voice the most, though. Sounds like the dude just ate an entire driveway.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 29, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel like Piccolo is at his best when he is clearly regretting his turn to Good. Like, "Goddamit if I were still evil I wouldn't have to put up with Goku's bullshit or his offspring's bullshit but here we are."

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I feel like Piccolo is at his best when he is clearly regretting his turn to Good. Like, "Goddamit if I were still evil I wouldn't have to put up with Goku's bullshit or his offspring's bullshit but here we are."

Yeah, Piccolo is the source of pretty much any of the best comedy, especially when he's a mouthpiece for the viewer, telling characters to just shut up and attack, or stop celebrating because the enemy isn't dead this time, either.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I love that Goku and Piccolo really didn't interact with each other much at all between Piccolo killing Goku and Raditz and everyone coming back from Namek, but then he's suddenly Goku's best friend and goes driving cars with him. Bitchin'.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Terper posted:

I love that Goku and Piccolo really didn't interact with each other much at all between Piccolo killing Goku and Raditz and everyone coming back from Namek, but then he's suddenly Goku's best friend and goes driving cars with him. Bitchin'.

Plus the in-hindsight terrifyingly short time between Piccolo Sr trying to kill Goku, and Goku trusting Piccolo Jr entirely with his own son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Plus the in-hindsight terrifyingly short time between Piccolo Sr trying to kill Goku, and Goku trusting Piccolo Jr entirely with his own son.

Being dead, Goku didn't have much choice in the matter.

• Locked thread