Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Hmm, would using dolphin involve using the disc I already own of Xenoblade and could I use the save file I already have? If so I'd love playing NG+ a bit with good textures

If I remember rightly, playing a game in Dolphin using the disc can cause problems. Because a PC doesn't keep the disc spinning in the drive like a console does it can take longer to load data than the game expects, which can cause stuttering or even an outright crash. If you have a homebrewed Wii and a USB HD (or a large enough SD card) you can rip a copy of the game and use that in Dolphin. See the Dolphin thread for more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

http://xenobladex.jp/gallery/gallery06.html
Google Translated doesn't do It favors but that dude is huge

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm glad that space elves are making a return.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
This week's website update:

-Gaining an advantage in battle, a page on various battle techniques
-Combos: certain arts have effects like "increased damage when used after a melee art" or "increased damage when used after a ranged art"
-Topple: after inflicting Break on an enemy, you can use certain arts to topple it. Prevents the enemy from acting or evading your attacks and makes it take 50% more damage
-Certain arts deal bonus damage to toppled targets and in some cases topple can be inflicted without breaking the enemy first
-Attack from a blind spot: attacking an enemy from behind, above or below increases your accuracy and critical rate. Certain arts are more effective when used from the side or from behind
-Destroy body parts: targeting and destroying an enemy's body part will prevent the enemy from using attacks that rely on that body part and earn you an extra reward after battle

-Overclock Gear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFeMcHr5Lp8
-Unlocked after reaching a certain point in the story and costs 3000 TP to activate
-Shortens arts recharge times and allows them to be overcharged twice ("triple recast")
-TP carries over between battles, so saving it up to activate Overclock Gear in a boss fight can be effective
-The big number in the center is the Gear Counter, it changes color depending on the arts you use
-The strip of little pips on the right side of the Gear Counter is your Gear Time: you lose them over time and when you run out, the overclock ends
-Using the same type of arts in succession increases the Gear Counter. As it increases, you get effects like "extended Gear time", "increased damage" or "increased generation of TP"
-Color combo: by changing the Gear Counter's color in a certain order (e.g. yellow -> green), you get special effects like "large bonus to Gear Count", "extra damage to body parts", "HP recovery" or "experience bonus"
-If your party members reach 3000 TP while your Overclock Gear is active, they'll activate their own Gears. This can cause special effects to happen
-If you reach 3000 TP while the Gear is active, you can restart it to extend your Gear Time

-There's a new illustration, showing Celica

-This week's Nopon gag page has a bunch of screenshots from the Forest of Nocturnal Luminescence

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Xenoblade 3D! http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/xenoblade-chronicles-3d/0/0

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
The Birth of BLADE

A Xenoblade Chronicles X short story by Takeda Yuuichirou

PART.3 - The Overed's attack ripped the wound in the bulkhead open even wider.

As the composite metal twisted, the earsplitting screech pulled Nagi and the bridge crew back to their senses. They saw the Overed trying to force its way through the expanding crevice.
"The head, aim at the head! Concentrate fire and take it down!"
Van Damme barked, pointing his Strike Assault at huge beast's head and firing a burst. His line of fire acted as a signpost, showing the others where to aim. Instead of voicing his support for the chief engineer's command, Nagi simply took aim at the same spot and pulled the trigger. The others followed their lead.
Beset by concentrated fire from ten-odd people, the Overed seemed to flinch, but only for a moment. The giant monster shook its head as if annoyed and with great might forced its upper body inside the bridge.
"Retreat! Abandon bridge!"
"drat it, we ain't got a choice!"
Van Damme agreed with Nagi's order. Thanks to the Overed's rampage, the bridge seemed like it could collapse at any moment. Fortunately, now that the beast's huge body was tearing the gap even wider, it couldn't move very quickly. Van Damme took the lead and Nagi covered the rear as the bridge crew ran, away from the Overed.

When Nagi stepped outside the bridge, he finally saw it - the unknown land they had reached after two years of wandering.
The wounded and scattered White Whale would never be able to rise again, so they had no choice but to live in this world. Perhaps it would only be until they could construct a new spaceship, but even then it would definitely not be a short stay.
The desolate land stretched out into the dark night. Even the hardness of the bedrock he tread on felt somehow different from the rocks on Earth. Beyond the unfamiliar silhouettes of overgrown plant-life, cliffs thrust into the sky like tree branches. The spectacle seemed to be in defiance of the laws of physics, but perhaps this planet played by its own rules.
Looking up, an enormous satellite was suspended beyond the heavy clouds. Measuring by eye, it seemed tens of times larger than Earth's Moon.
(No, I should stop comparing everything I see to Earth. There's no point in doing that)
Nagi realized how futile it was to measure a new world against an old yardstick. The only thing of importance now was determining whether the things he saw would help or hinder their survival.
And one clear hindrance was hot on their heels.
"You're too drat soft! Once we get through this, you're gonna give me a hundred million push-ups!"
Van Damme was violently yanking up crewmen who had fallen while fleeing from the Overed. As they frantically scrambled ahead, it was unclear whether they were more terrified of the monster or the push-ups.
Behind them, crushing sounds echoed from the bridge as the Overed trampled it underfoot. To Nagi and his crew, it wasn't just a sound of ripping metal. It was the sound of losing the place where they had worked and spent their lives for two years since escaping Earth.
(There was data and machinery there I wanted to bring with us...)
And it had been full of emotions and memories that they could never have brought with them. Now all of that had been crushed underfoot by a single Overed.
Filled with dismay, Nagi gritted his teeth, but every single one of the crew's lives was more important than anything on the bridge. Right now their own survival was priority number one.
"Chief, keep everyone safe!"
"Wha- Hey, Nagi!"
Nagi entrusted the front-line to Van Damme and stood his ground, turning to face the Overed. Then, he readied his Attack Assault.
"Hello, neighbor! I know it's rude of us newcomers to cause a ruckus like this, but... well, you aren't the only one trying to survive around here! Do we have what it takes? Let's find out"
The beast couldn't possibly have understood him, in fact, it didn't seem to acknowledge his existence at all. To the Overed, he was just prey standing in its path. But in spite of that, it stopped anyway and looked down at him.
Even that was more than enough.
Nagi carefully steadied his aim, looked the monster right in the eye and shot it out. The beast closed its eyelid right before the impact, but the high-speed armor-piercing round cut right through.
"---!"
A roar that was hard to reproduce in writing escaped the Overed's lips. It could have been a scream of pain or it could have been a howl of anger. Whatever the case, the monster focused all its hostility on Nagi alone.
"Yeah, that's right. Come at me! If my life can save all those greenhorns, that's a cheap price to pay!"
Nagi readied his Attack Assault again to fire a second volley, but it had been naive of him to think that he could just shoot out the remaining eye. The Overed no longer tried to approach him and instead tossed a nearby piece of metal.
Compared to the monster, the chunk seemed small, but it was one of the White Whale's bulkheads. The metal wall, far taller than Nagi, crashed into the ground and sent flying fragments of stone that pummeled Nagi's body.
"Ugghhh..."
Nagi was blown away by the impact and the Overed slowly crept closer to him. It seemed cautious, but Nagi had already lost his Attack Assault. A chunk of rock had hit it directly and smashed it, so he no longer had any means of defending himself.
"Whatever. I bought a lot more time than I expected. The rest is up to you, Chief..."
Even though he was resigned to his fate, he did not close his eyes. As the Overed advanced towards him to deliver the finishing blow, he confronted it, determined not to avert his eyes until the last moment.
To Nagi, the Overed was not an enemy. They had simply run into each other by chance in an unknown land and fought for survival. Without hatred or resentment, he just waited for his time to come.

However, both of their fates changed in an instant.
A high-yield explosive struck the Overed's right flank. Fire from a heavy autocannon swept across half its body and the massive life-form collapsed where it stood. Gunpowder smoke and an unfamiliar raw odor stimulated Nagi's nostrils.
(Is this what the blood of this world's inhabitants smells like? It seems to be based on something other than hemoglobin)
Nagi's thoughts were so calm it was hard to believe he had been in mortal danger just seconds before. What dragged him out of his thoughts and back to reality was the sound of metal footsteps.
The dynamic shapes of the machines that had saved his life - two Dolls manufactured on Earth - were identifiable even in the darkness of the night. Both of them were 'AD0130 Formula.ST' type all-purpose models.
"Captain! Commodore Nagi!"
The pilot's voice came from the external speaker on the AD0130 standing in front of him, and he knew he had heard it before.
"Irina- Lieutenant Irina Akulova!"
Afterwards, Van Damme was informed that Nagi was safe and the bridge crew reunited. Lieutenant Irina and his subordinate, ensign Guin, disembarked their Dolls. They had both worked with the rest of the crew for a long time and everyone was pleased by the reunion, boisterously patting each others' backs and shoulders.
"By the way, you two sure had good timing"
"The gun camera in my robot recorded footage of the bridge falling off. I ran an image analysis to figure out the landing trajectory and we came as soon as we could"
Guin replied to Nagi.
"Yeah, Guin, you did great. Though, really, didn't your machine do all the work?"
"Wha- Lieutenant, what the heck!?"
Irina and Guin seemed to be more than just an officer and a subordinate - they had known each other since before enlisting and their conversation sounded like a pair of close siblings.
"Anyway you two, what's up with the residential section?"
When Van Damme asked his question, Irina and Guin's expressions darkened. Before the White Whale fell apart, their Doll platoon had intercepted the biomechanical weapons invading the residential area.
"It's still in one piece, but..."
Irina started to explain. Like the bridge, the residential section had managed to land safely thanks to its artificial gravity generators. Then again, since it had been designed to land on a habitable planet in the original migration plan, the likelihood of a successful landing was high to begin with. However, there was one major problem. The DM engine that provided energy to the whole section had been heavily damaged.
"Then, how is the city?"
"We're using emergency power to maintain essential utilities at minimum efficiency, but we can't deploy the outer shell and we don't know how long the backup power will last"
"And on top of that, native life-forms keep attacking us. The Doll company has its hands full!"
Nagi grew silent. It was good news that the residential section had landed safely, but he couldn't view the situation with much optimism. In his stead, Van Damme started shouting.
"What the hell do you think you're doing!? You've got no business rescuing us when things are that bad!"
"We knew you'd be angry, Chief, but we need a leader much more than we need a Doll or two. If no-one takes command, we'll be overrun sooner or later"
"That's why we cut through the swarm of monsters to get here. If we could just get to the bridge, we knew that the captain- that commodore Nagi would be there..."
Irina and Guin looked at Nagi expectantly. Though they were young, they were excellent soldiers who had survived the battle against the aliens two years ago as well as the pursuit that followed. And yet even they couldn't hide their anxiety about the situation.
(If only Elma were here...)
Nagi remembered one of his subordinates, one who had worked together with the very same hero that had gone missing when the squad of biomechanical weapons invaded the White Whale. Elma had the rank of captain and was almost like a right hand to Nagi. Irina and Guin trusted her deeply as well, and he could've relaxed a bit if she were in the residential section.
Unfortunately, the fact of the matter was that she was missing in action. They had lost a lot of good people in the battle over Earth and now in the crash, and they had no choice but to make do with the people they had left.
"Understood. I'll head to the residential section with you two. Chief, gather up the crew and follow on foot"
"...Yeah, there's no way we could cram everyone into just two Dolls. All right"
Van Damme nodded in agreement with Nagi's orders.

And so, Nagi climbed onto the shoulder of Guin's AD0130 and, together with Irina's robot, they headed towards the residential section. Most Dolls were originally designed to seat only a single person, so they couldn't carry more than two people. And if you weren't in the cockpit, you had to cling to the shoulder armor.
Irina's Doll took the lead, carefully scouting the path, while Guin's Doll followed cautiously.
"Ensign Guin, I'd appreciate it if we went faster"
"Huh? But-"
"Guin! You heard the captain. Hurry up!"
"R-roger!"
The two dolls picked up speed. If they had been capable of atmospheric flight, they could have traveled faster and more steadily, but for their last battle against the biomechanical weapons the AD0130s had been equipped with space combat gear. On the ground, they could only walk on their two legs. Of course, anyone clinging to the chassis was subjected to intense impacts. Inexperienced rookies could only last a short time even in the shock-absorber-equipped cockpit.
But Nagi endured the ordeal. He had no way of knowing what kind of damage befell the residential section while they traveled, so enduring was his only option. Irina understood that and hurried ahead.
Exposed to the fierce shocks and jolts, Nagi felt a pain in his left shoulder. No, it was just his imagination. While he did have an old war wound there, it didn't ache anymore.
(If only he were here...)
Nagi remembered the face of an old friend. He had been an engineer who worked on an important part of the migration plan. Without him, the plan might never have been carried out, but he himself had never boarded the colony ships. Felled by an illness, he passed away before the plan was put into action.
(But maybe he died happy, since he never had to see the destruction of Earth...)
Nagi shook his head at the thought. That couldn't possibly be right. His friend had understood that the annihilation of Earth was a possible outcome, not to mention that he had spent what little was left of his life on researching a way for the life on Earth to overcome it and survive.
Nagi and his crew had a job to do, and it wasn't to feel jealous of those who never had to witness the disaster. It was to connect everything to the place beyond the calamity. Lives, history, culture, proof of the life-forms that had evolved on Earth, they all had to go on...
"If I just focus on the importance of my mission, I can stand some petty vibr-"
Nagi muttered and suddenly grimaced. He had bitten his tongue.
"Captain, do you see that up ahead?"
Hearing Guin's voice, Nagi looked up. The day had yet to break and many lights were glowing in the darkness. No, those were fires. The While Whale's residential section was burning.
"Is that a... battle?"
"Yeah, the monsters must have broken through and started wrecking things. Captain, I'm gonna drop you here and join the fight!"
"You idiot! That's a waste of combat personnel. Take me to an armory or a Doll hangar or something! Somewhere with weapons!"

However, Nagi's determination was wasted: even though there were Doll maintenance areas in the residential section, all units had already been dispatched. The only weapons left were small caliber firearms.
Nagi gave up on fighting personally and focused on directing the battle.
"The housing district has been fully evacuated! Good, all defenders pull out! We'll focus our defense around the service facilities in the industrial district! Lao, I need your Dolls over there as well!"
Nagi's arrival had a remarkable effect on the situation. Most of the people in the section had originally been members of the White Whale's piloting crew. They were all well-versed in their own fields of specialization, but when the native life-forms started attacking they were vexed by the chaos and the lack of a chain of command.
Nagi's first move was to give up on protecting the entire residential area. He gathered the non-combatants within the sturdy walls of the industrial area and established a defensive perimeter around it. Then, he divided the troops into three clearly defined squads led by Irina, Lao and Doug and ordered them to hold the line.
And finally, the dawn came.

The beasts were likely nocturnal: when the light of the planet's star washed over the residential section, it drove them away. Once night fell again they might come back, but until then they would probably lurk in their dens. The light of the morning was an ally to humanity: during the day they arranged their defenses and surveyed their situation so that they could mount a more effective resistance next night.
Nagi was instructing the section's administrators: first, he had them make a register of names. Their first priority was to confirm how many of the White Whale's crew were still alive and had gathered here. Then, they would be assigned duties, teams would be organized and then-
And then, he thought of something that had to be taken care of immediately.
"Say, wasn't this residential section modeled after a place?"
An administrator responded with a nod. A certain city had been used as a reference when the White Whale's residential section was built. Of course, the layout wasn't exactly the same, but it had definitely inherited some of the memorable landmarks and the general atmosphere.
"Well then, this is no longer the residential section, this is our city. And a city needs a name"
Administrators and soldiers, piloting crew, everyone fixed their eyes on Nagi. Irina and Guin were there too. Nagi turned towards them and made his declaration:
"This is New Los Angeles. The rebuilding of NLA starts now!"

To be continued...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
"A certain city had been used as a reference when the White Whale's residential section was built. Of course, the layout wasn't exactly the same, but it had definitely inherited some of the memorable landmarks and the general atmosphere."

*builds overpopulated city, forces droughts, introduces smog, makes people join gangs* Ah, perfect

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
If y'all missed the Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS niconico stream last night, they showed live performances of some of the music:

Main Theme
Gaur Plain
Mechanical Rhythm
Confrontation with the Enemy
Those Who Bear Their Name

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Champeenship posted:

If y'all missed the Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS niconico stream last night, they showed live performances of some of the music:

Main Theme
Gaur Plain
Mechanical Rhythm

These are all supremely bad loving rear end and if Japan had any god drat sense they would make the whole soundtrack their national anthem.

Conversely, they asked Sawano to perform his songs live and he just sat on a toilet and let loose a nasty stream of diahhrea.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Champeenship posted:

Main Theme
Gaur Plain
Mechanical Rhythm

Violins make everything so much loving better.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I'm really looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS and can't wait to pick it up. Having such a big world to explore on the go is going to be awesome.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
drat that monado replica loving owns

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
They also showed on stream that the monado also lights up.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
want to go to pax with that monado

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I feel like it was a real missed opportunity to make the replica monado a working keytar

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Champeenship posted:

Main Theme
Gaur Plain
Mechanical Rhythm

This is the definitive Gaur Plains but Mechanical Rhythm sounds a bit overproduced and that breaks my heart

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Is there any word on the soundtrack of X yet? Because if it's even half the quality I'm stoked.

I finally started Xenoblade 1 and I think my favorite thing is how the characters never shut up during battle. Then they go a step further and give you quick time events to encourage your buddies whenever they screw up or cheer them on when they do something awesome. It makes them feel like a great, cohesive unit instead of just pixel people and every game needs this. :buddy:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Suspicious Cook posted:

Is there any word on the soundtrack of X yet?

Yea man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Apdfz4HNrY

:suicide:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Suspicious Cook posted:

Is there any word on the soundtrack of X yet? Because if it's even half the quality I'm stoked.

I finally started Xenoblade 1 and I think my favorite thing is how the characters never shut up during battle. Then they go a step further and give you quick time events to encourage your buddies whenever they screw up or cheer them on when they do something awesome. It makes them feel like a great, cohesive unit instead of just pixel people and every game needs this. :buddy:

Yes, do you like Sawano(Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill)? Because he is doing the entire soundtrack.

Some music here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFeMcHr5Lp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Apdfz4HNrY

And more on the main site under Movie & Sound
http://xenobladex.jp/

e: spent too much time getting these links together

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I guess I'm in the minority here, but the music for X doesn't really bother me all that much (or the character models, for that matter). I mean, I definitely understand where people are coming from, but the worst I feel about it is 'eh'.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Champeenship posted:

I guess I'm in the minority here, but the music for X doesn't really bother me all that much (or the character models, for that matter). I mean, I definitely understand where people are coming from, but the worst I feel about it is 'eh'.

On the whole it's just not as good as the original game's soundtrack. The battle/shop music is complete garbage. It would be fine if it was only the native(?) vocalist, but the engrish lyrics are just terrible. They would even be fine if there were no lyrics at all. The rest of the soundtrack seems acceptable to mediocre, just compare the game's main theme to Chronicles's. There's almost no competition.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
As someone who unironically appreciates buttrock, I'm okay with it. It doesn't blow me away like Guar Plains or They Will Know Our Names, but I can handle it. I could do without the lyrics, but I thought the same about Persona's soundtrack before my resolve crumbled and the Engrish grew on me. :shrug:

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

On the whole it's just not as good as the original game's soundtrack. The battle/shop music is complete garbage. It would be fine if it was only the native(?) vocalist, but the engrish lyrics are just terrible. They would even be fine if there were no lyrics at all. The rest of the soundtrack seems acceptable to mediocre, just compare the game's main theme to Chronicles's. There's almost no competition.

Yeah, again, I see where people are coming from. I guess having not actually played Xenoblade Chronicles yet also probably helps it not feeling like a huge bummer.

Also, the lyrics are super corny, and I like corny poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'd be down for the lyrics if they only pop up in boss battles, it's gonna be an 80 hour game, the music itself is fine for that but the bad rapping is something I feel will get on my nerves.

I like this style of music, though I still would've much rather they kept the Xenoblade composers.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Boy do I love jerking my knees off at a small amount of songs out of the 90+ tracks he has composed for this. If you can't appreciate corny lyrics then go play Persona 3, 4 and Q so you understand why they're great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dastardly posted:

Boy do I love jerking my knees off at a small amount of songs out of the 90+ tracks he has composed for this. If you can't appreciate corny lyrics then go play Persona 3, 4 and Q so you understand why they're great.

One of them is described as the battle theme. As in the theme of battle, as in one of the core gameplay mechanics you will do throughout the 80-120+ hours of game. I don't want to hear A Whole Different Plaaanet for what could amount to over a day of my life.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

One of them is described as the battle theme. As in the theme of battle, as in one of the core gameplay mechanics you will do throughout the 80-120+ hours of game. I don't want to hear A Whole Different Plaaanet for what could amount to over a day of my life.

The joke here is that Shimomura's Kingdom Hearts: Xenoblade edition battle theme was so bland that no one even remembers that it exists and people were fine with that. Appreciate that you get to listen to something catchier this time.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dastardly posted:

The joke here is that Shimomura's Kingdom Hearts: Xenoblade edition battle theme was so bland that no one even remembers that it exists and people were fine with that. Appreciate that you get to listen to something catchier this time.

I wouldn't describe obnoxious and garbage as catchy, but I also don't like Persona so maybe I just haven't been acclimated yet.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dastardly posted:

I have no idea of which of those games you're referring to in that sentence but I'd take a forgettable song over an annoying one any day of the week.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

While I didn't really care for P3 when I gave it a try, I like it and P4's soundtrack and really liked TWEWY, so I'm all for silly lyrics in the soundtracks to my japanese anime games.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm cool with silly lyrics but I don't want them in the majority of my encounters, I'd rather it be like with Revengeance and have the lyrics only kick in on big moments.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yes, do you like Sawano(Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill)?

I like both those soundtracks, and what I've heard of X sounds fine. I mean, sure, so far nothing has been as good as the original's soundtrack, but so what? If you can't top perfection, then going in a new direction is a completely valid choice. It'll give the sequel a more distinct flavour compared to the original, which honestly seems like the modus operandi this time anyway, do Xenoblade again only completely differently.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm cool with silly lyrics but I don't want them in the majority of my encounters, I'd rather it be like with Revengeance and have the lyrics only kick in on big moments.

This would be perfectly acceptable

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNOVjqlwBRs

The fight doesn't even last long enough for the battle theme to reach the corny lyrics part of the song. And the next battle has a different theme. It had a voiced part in it but because of the characters yelling their attack like DBZ characters, you could barely hear it. The only way those lyrics will annoy you to the point that you write an angry letter to Takahashi about his poor choice in a composer is if you listen to the soundtrack with your poo poo beatz headphones on your massive goon head to your job at 7/11. And who does that?

Has Nintendo announced a collectors edition yet? I want this soundtrack so bad.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Well, I like it.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Just wanna say that the X battle theme owns, and is way better than the stupidly bland one from Xenoblade.

Also

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

...this just tells me that you didn't get to the point in Revengeance where the normal encounter music becomes this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmlu45-LuwQ

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Black Mage Knight posted:

Just wanna say that the X battle theme owns, and is way better than the stupidly bland one from Xenoblade.

Also

...this just tells me that you didn't get to the point in Revengeance where the normal encounter music becomes this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmlu45-LuwQ

For chapters 5 and 7 only, due to it all being hype betrayal moment and you unlocked SSJ moment

Gameplay video helps, though lol that first encounter is practically cut in half bybthe guy going gently caress and getting on his murder train. Lyric mixing being so low that battle quips overshadow them is good enough for me, tho

Xenoblade's battle theme was beautiful

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
The E3 2013 theme is still goddamn fantastic, there's still hope for the OST. Then again I love glitch pop so :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5RFZwmB9Fg

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, that was the one that made me think Sawano had been watching Tron: Legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Dastardly posted:

I don't mind the lyrics in Persona music, but that's because I can't understand any of them, so they could be bad but I can't tell so I don't care. It was a while before I realised any of that was even supposed to be english.

I can understand the lyrics in that Xenoblade X battle music though, and they're really bad

• Locked thread