Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What the gently caress does that have to do with what I said?

he seems to think that the US would allow Israel to commit genocide because of 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

bencreateddisco posted:

he seems to think that the US would allow Israel to commit genocide because of 9/11.

That's a pretty accurate summary of the current situation actually

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

zimboe posted:

I hereby formally abandon all hope of understanding or putting any sense to the Middle East. Politics, religion, and powerlust has trumped simple human reason.

poo poo.
Lettem bomb each other to dust. They're too stupid to live. I'm sick of hearing it.
I am going to have to burn my television. Again.
You should do the same, you'll be happier.
After these psycho idiots are all dead or sterile, we can start over with rational people in the region.
like Canadians. Or Chinese. Or Chinese-Canadians.

The oil will be fine, it's miles underground.

Signing off. Time to feed parakeet.

How sad do you have to be to get drunk and then start posting in the I/P thread? Hang out with friends, go out to a bar, do something, but please don't drunk post on forums, it's very sad.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Heavy neutrino posted:

Back in 2008:

Again in 2013:

You can argue that there have been contradictory statements, that they changed their position (although they offered a 10-year truce again in 2014) or that Jimmy Carter was lying (lol), but "completely and totally false" is a load of poo poo, and so are you.

Seriously though, why do you still post here? You have never ever contributed anything of worth. Your post can be directly contradicted by five minutes of googling for English-language Israeli sources, and when you're not demonstrating your belief in a reality that is the opposite of this one, you're smearing posters with innuendo about anti-semitism. Can you just gently caress off?

Yes, I've seen the second-hand hearsay about Hamas supposedly throwing away their entire raison d'etre. And it always turns out to be bullshit that's peddled to credulous Westerners. Feel free to Google up Hamas leaders actually saying on tape in rallies that they'll never give up an inch of land to an Israeli state. And I shouldn't even have to point out that "give us ten years to rearm and rebuild for a renewed conflict" is not an actual call for a two-state solution.

It's very hard to take the hardcore anti-Zionists seriously when they refuse to face reality. It's one thing to interpret the facts differently, but when you're twisting yourself into knots pretending Hamas is pro-peace you're announcing to anyone who isn't a deluded fanatic that you're not credible.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm literally an alsatian jew and I oppose the racist apartheid state of Israel.

END THE KILLING END THE CRIME
FREE FREE PALESTINE

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zimboe posted:

So Paineframe, you are putting your faith in the effectiveness of MAD?
But- these Political Islamists seem death obsessed, more interested in Paradise than Earth.
Who says MAD will be effective on the mad?

The thing I hate about people who come in here and say "I don't really know much about any of this, but..." is that they always, always confuse propaganda with reality. Iran's leadership is just as rational as anyone else, it's just that they know a lot more about their situation than the average American does. Even a brief look at the last hundred years of Iranian history will tell you exactly why Iran behaves they way they do on the international stage, and it's got next to nothing to do with "political Islamists".

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

The Insect Court posted:

Yes, I've seen the second-hand hearsay about Hamas supposedly throwing away their entire raison d'etre. And it always turns out to be bullshit that's peddled to credulous Westerners. Feel free to Google up Hamas leaders actually saying on tape in rallies that they'll never give up an inch of land to an Israeli state. And I shouldn't even have to point out that "give us ten years to rearm and rebuild for a renewed conflict" is not an actual call for a two-state solution.

It's very hard to take the hardcore anti-Zionists seriously when they refuse to face reality. It's one thing to interpret the facts differently, but when you're twisting yourself into knots pretending Hamas is pro-peace you're announcing to anyone who isn't a deluded fanatic that you're not credible.

Of course Hamas is pro-peace. Real peace, though. That's because they are relatively rational actors who have every reason to want peace. They're not crazy people who absolutely want to kill Jews and use the IP conflict as a pretext.

I prefer to pay attention to what Meshaal says to his international partners rather than his empassioned speeches to the Palestinian throngs because I know he is a politician making campaign speeches. If campaign speeches were true, my country would have got rid of Big Finance and would have restored the public sector instead of gutting it. Guess what happened? Hamas will compromise, because it knows that its objectives have to be realistic. That's what Arafat eventually did. Maybe you're too young to remember how Big Bad Arafat was a reviled terrorist who only wanted a new Holocaust before he became one of the architects of the peace process.
And before you bring it up, I don't give a poo poo about a valueless charter whose author died a decade ago and that quotes the Quran to strengthen its bellicose narrative. It is worthless. It means nothing in the current state of affairs, it is not relevant to Hamas today. The only people to ever bring it up are people like you, Hamas doesn't care about it and justifies none of its actions by it.

A large majority of Palestinians are pro-peace. Most of them are against rocket attacks, according to local polls. They merely want to have their country and live a tranquil life. They don't care about the Jews because they're fundamentally antisemitic, they hate their occupier. Once the occupation stops, things will get better over time.

But the "they're Jew-haters who won't stop until every Israeli is dead" talk is absurd, and it doesn't help because it makes any resolution that isn't "one of the groups has to leave or disappear" impossible.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
do not respond to zimboe

i say this as an migf truefan: zimboe is not worth your time. he's not a troll, he's just a crazy person with what seems to be a legit intellectual handicap - he can't be reasoned with or understood, so don't even try, and he's not even entertaining in the manner of a kyoon so he's basically not worth listening to

do not respond to zimboe

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Avshalom posted:

do not respond to zimboe

i say this as an migf truefan: zimboe is not worth your time. he's not a troll, he's just a crazy person with what seems to be a legit intellectual handicap - he can't be reasoned with or understood, so don't even try, and he's not even entertaining in the manner of a kyoon so he's basically not worth listening to

do not respond to zimboe

don't crazy shame.

some people just learned that israel bad and they need a place to demonstrate their newfound intellectual mastery of the I/P conflict, don't take the fruits of attending one lecture during 'Israeli Apartheid Weak' away from them, even if they're crazy nuke fetishists.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Avshalom posted:

do not respond to zimboe

do not respond to zimboe

quoting for truth. MiGFans assemble!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't think this is a very good time for Israel supporters to make hay out of two-faced rhetoric.

Peel fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 29, 2015

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The Israelis do not consider themselves to be strong, nor do they consider any of their alliances with the west to be anything more than 'weddings of convenience'.

What do the tattoos say? (And what's the source of this image, I really like it as a shorthand explanation of Israeli bunker mentality.)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I prefer to pay attention to what Meshaal says to his international partners rather than his empassioned speeches to the Palestinian throngs because I know he is a politician making campaign speeches. If campaign speeches were true, my country would have got rid of Big Finance and would have restored the public sector instead of gutting it. Guess what happened? Hamas will compromise, because it knows that its objectives have to be realistic. That's what Arafat eventually did. Maybe you're too young to remember how Big Bad Arafat was a reviled terrorist who only wanted a new Holocaust before he became one of the architects of the peace process.
And before you bring it up, I don't give a poo poo about a valueless charter whose author died a decade ago and that quotes the Quran to strengthen its bellicose narrative. It is worthless. It means nothing in the current state of affairs, it is not relevant to Hamas today. The only people to ever bring it up are people like you, Hamas doesn't care about it and justifies none of its actions by it.

We've just spent pages and pages paying attention to Bibi's campaign promises.

So if we're not paying attention to campaign speeches, or charters, or pretty much anything... we're basically inventing whatever version of "what Hamas is going to do" that we feel like? The whole "rational actor" shtick kinda requires a degree of correlation between your actions.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hamas is bad and are terrorists, but as an irish person i can't really fault them for it because nearly all the political parties of my country were terrorists at some point

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Forums Terrorist posted:

Hamas is bad and are terrorists, but as an irish person i can't really fault them for it because nearly all the political parties of my country were terrorists at some point

So were the political parties in Israel! It still makes them lovely people.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

you will note i didn't say they stopped being bad

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Elotana posted:

What do the tattoos say? (And what's the source of this image, I really like it as a shorthand explanation of Israeli bunker mentality.)

Source seems to be Mysh: http://972mag.com/facebook-censors-cartoons-against-racism-capitalism/47197/selfesteem/

The tattoos read:
That which is not resolved with force is resolved with violence.
Roadkill every haredi/religious-person (the word is "Dos" which is slang for Dati, i.e religious but it commonly used to refer to haredim)
A good arab is a dead arab.
Death to the sudanese.
Let the IDF 'beat to a pulp' (rhymes with 'Let the IDF win').
Russians to russia, Ethiopians to Ethiopia.

The one on the rightmost is truncated but I think it reads "Slaughter and forgive" (טבח וסלח), I might be getting it wrong as it might be referring some other nationalist slogan I am not familiar with. Basically they're all nationalistic slogans that are used by right wingers or are commonly shouted during football matches.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 29, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i wonder how much of israel's terribleness is because of the russian jews

you can take the jew out of russia but you can't take the russia out of the jew

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Are you intentionally trying to bait Xander?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Not much. Post-1990 Russians are marginalized and excluded to the extent that some embrace antisemitism despite being of jewish descent themselves. They do have a very small and unpopular right-wing party led by Avigdor Lieberman but everything wrong with Israel was already in place before the Russians came along.

quote:

One of the group's members, Ivan Kuzmin, said that in "Russia they called me Dirty Jew, and here they called me Stinking Russian". He said that the racism he experienced turned him into a racist.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 29, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

oh welp

it seemed possible since russians are a brutish, cowardly lot

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Xander77 posted:

We've just spent pages and pages paying attention to Bibi's campaign promises.

So if we're not paying attention to campaign speeches, or charters, or pretty much anything... we're basically inventing whatever version of "what Hamas is going to do" that we feel like? The whole "rational actor" shtick kinda requires a degree of correlation between your actions.

Both Israeli and Palestinian political parties, being political parties, use duplicitous and politically convenient rhetoric. It's best to look at their actions. Netanyahu's statement that he would never allow a Palestinian state was taken seriously, because it was an admission of something already known to observers from Israel's continued settlement policies and opposition to Palestinian statehood in the UN. Its significance lay in what it might mean that Bibi was willing to break kayfabe, rather than what it revealed about Israeli policies directly. Similarly, Hamas' statements must be evaluated in light of their will and ability to maintain long-term ceasefires even under blockade.

If Bibi had said something convenient to the Israeli right days ahead of an election after a premiership that had seen massive strides toward an equitable peace and Palestinian state recognition, and meanwhile Hamas leaders protested that they were all in favour of a two-state solution while conducting a high-intensity terror campaign, the statements would be evaluated differently.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The one on the rightmost is truncated but I think it reads "Slaughter and forgive" (טבח וסלח), I might be getting it wrong as it might be referring some other nationalist slogan I am not familiar with.
לא נשכח ולא נסלח

Obviously.

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Not much. Post-1990 Russians are marginalized and excluded to the extent that some embrace antisemitism despite being of jewish descent themselves. They do have a very small and unpopular right-wing party led by Avigdor Lieberman but everything wrong with Israel was already in place before the Russians came along.
You mean what was at some points the second largest party in the Knesset? The one that lost most of its seats because the Russian immigrants are immersed enough in Israeli society to stop voting for a sectarian "Russian" party? Good point. Well done.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 29, 2015

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Of course Hamas is pro-peace. Real peace, though. That's because they are relatively rational actors who have every reason to want peace. They're not crazy people who absolutely want to kill Jews and use the IP conflict as a pretext.

I prefer to pay attention to what Meshaal says to his international partners rather than his empassioned speeches to the Palestinian throngs because I know he is a politician making campaign speeches. If campaign speeches were true, my country would have got rid of Big Finance and would have restored the public sector instead of gutting it.

Given these comments, is Netanyahu a partner for peace? Do you think the right of return is feasible with true peace?

quote:

A large majority of Palestinians are pro-peace. Most of them are against rocket attacks, according to local polls. They merely want to have their country and live a tranquil life. They don't care about the Jews because they're fundamentally antisemitic, they hate their occupier. Once the occupation stops, things will get better over time.

But the "they're Jew-haters who won't stop until every Israeli is dead" talk is absurd, and it doesn't help because it makes any resolution that isn't "one of the groups has to leave or disappear" impossible.

Do you believe the majority of Israelis are pro-peace?

Forums Terrorist posted:

i wonder how much of israel's terribleness is because of the russian jews

you can take the jew out of russia but you can't take the russia out of the jew

A lot, but a lot more of it's from the Mizrahim.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Everyone is pro-peace. I'm one of the most pro-peace posters in this thread. Question is, what does your peace look like? Is it acceptable?

Clearly, Flowers' peace is unacceptable.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Given these comments, is Netanyahu a partner for peace? Do you think the right of return is feasible with true peace?
Netanyahu has illustrated time and again his unwillingness to commit to the peace process. This is self-evident from his policies of expansionism and use of disproportionate force. The same is true of Livni as well, by the way.
And I think that the right of return would be the natural consequence of non-supremacist immigration policies.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Do you believe the majority of Israelis are pro-peace?
I think that most Israelis don't suffer from the war as much as Palestinians do. What most of them would want, consequently, is merely quiet and security, even if the status quo is maintained for the Palestinians. That's their definition of peace. It is one of the sides of an actual end to the conflict, of course, but that's not enough for actual peace.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Peel posted:

Both Israeli and Palestinian political parties, being political parties, use duplicitous and politically convenient rhetoric. It's best to look at their actions. Netanyahu's statement that he would never allow a Palestinian state was taken seriously, because it was an admission of something already known to observers from Israel's continued settlement policies and opposition to Palestinian statehood in the UN. Its significance lay in what it might mean that Bibi was willing to break kayfabe, rather than what it revealed about Israeli policies directly. Similarly, Hamas' statements must be evaluated in light of their will and ability to maintain long-term ceasefires even under blockade.

If Bibi had said something convenient to the Israeli right days ahead of an election after a premiership that had seen massive strides toward an equitable peace and Palestinian state recognition, and meanwhile Hamas leaders protested that they were all in favour of a two-state solution while conducting a high-intensity terror campaign, the statements would be evaluated differently.

Honestly, Bibi's corrected statement post-election - that he is for a two-state solution, just only under certain specific circumstances and conditions that are now impossible - aligns just as accurately with his actions. The problem is that the conditions he would allow a Palestinian state under are conditions that always have been and always will be impossible, so the effective meaning of his stated Palestine policy never actually changed. Put simply, his position has always been that he is in favor of a two-state solution that the Palestinians would not and in fact could not accept. So, while he's not categorically opposed to a Palestinian state in principle, it won't happen under his leadership because he requires unacceptable conditions attached to it, and he's well aware of that. His pre-election pivot on Palestine and his post-election backpedal were both changes in tone only; if you pay very careful attention, he was saying the same thing the whole time, just adjusting the tone of his rhetoric to make the end result more obvious to the far-right voters.

This is, by the way, why it's so very important to pay very close attention to wording in the I/P debate. When someone says that they want a demilitarized Palestinian state (which is what Netanyahu's "two-state solution" has always been), what they really mean is that they want a helpless Palestinian puppet state-in-name-only which is entirely at the mercy of Israel and under their complete and total military control. It's the greatest dream of center-right pro-Israel types, since the only actual effective change to the status quo would be that Israel would be able to delegitimize the Palestinian claims by saying "hey, we already gave you a state, what more could you want".

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Forums Terrorist posted:

Didn't IRA-PLO solidarity used to be a thing? To the point it generated nonsense like this:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

eSports Chaebol posted:

Didn't IRA-PLO solidarity used to be a thing?
Yes. Did you think Leslie Nielsen was lying to you?

Seriously though, when I learned that lovely 80's action movies were actually right, and terrorists world over - from Ireland to Germany to Japan to the Middle East - were often united by their shared commitment to killing civilians, it was quite the revelation.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Kim Jong Il posted:

How is that evidence of intent whatsoever? Hamas also has explicitly not endorsed a two state solution. They have offered a hudna IF Israel allows every 1948 refugee to return. That's pretty explicitly support for an Ali Abunimah-one state solution in the most generous possible reading. Point me towards one quote saying that they would agree to permanent borders using the quartet framework of 1967 borders with tweaks, splitting Jerusalem, and only a small symbolic number of refugees return.
"I accept a Palestinian state according [to] the 1967 borders, with Jerusalem as the capital, with the right to return," the Hamas leader told Christine Amanpour in Cairo."

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Obviously.
You mean what was at some points the second largest party in the Knesset? The one that lost most of its seats because the Russian immigrants are immersed enough in Israeli society to stop voting for a sectarian "Russian" party? Good point. Well done.

Between the chants of "Russians to Russia" and other commonly known forms of discrimination, it's truly bizarre for anyone honest to claim they aren't seen as "other" and somewhat less authentically Israeli than others:

quote:

The study revealed that 54% of the olim would like to be considered Israeli by the veteran inhabitants of Israel, but only 18% reported they felt themselves perceived in this way. One out of every four immigrants said they had been discriminated against because of their national background .... 40% of parents complained of discriminatory treatment of their children by school-teachers, and half of those polled said their children had reported discriminatory remarks made by other schoolchildren. 31% of parents said their children had suffered violence at the hands of schoolchildren who were not immigrants themselves.

http://mondoweiss.net/2013/01/existential-russians-implored

quote:

We have today a situation in Israel in which 100s of 1000s of Israelis do not have a personal status in the country. They are not recognized technically as Jews. They come from the Soviet Union or have been born to Soviet When they want to marry, they have no way to marry and they have to go outside the country in order to marry. Their Jewish identity [is] not recognized by the state. These are very serious problems, because in the end this could be a major split inside Israeli society. Which I have said in the past… I think this is a greater threat to Israel than the Iranian nuclear threat.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

eSports Chaebol posted:

Didn't IRA-PLO solidarity used to be a thing? To the point it generated nonsense like this:

It still is, during Protective Edge I was driving through a Loyalist housing estate and saw some pro-IDF graffiti and a couple of these beauties:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CSM posted:

"I accept a Palestinian state according [to] the 1967 borders, with Jerusalem as the capital, with the right to return," the Hamas leader told Christine Amanpour in Cairo."

A Palestinian state. Says nothing about an Israeli state. In fact, those words could be interpreted to mean that the Israeli state should be overthrown and made Palestinian, and that Hamas' aim is a two Palestinian state solution.

kustomkarkommando posted:

It still is, during Protective Edge I was driving through a Loyalist housing estate and saw some pro-IDF graffiti and a couple of these beauties:

Where could one get such a beautiful flag?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Like Ive said before - this topic surfaces once or twice a year, and then fades from attention again.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/02/how-gazan-natural-gas-became-epicenter-international-power-struggle

quote:

The Often Overlooked Role of Natural Gas in the Israel-Palestine Conflict

How Gazan natural gas became the epicenter of an international power struggle.

Mar. 27, 2015

Guess what? Almost all the current wars, uprisings, and other conflicts in the Middle East are connected by a single thread, which is also a threat: these conflicts are part of an increasingly frenzied competition to find, extract, and market fossil fuels whose future consumption is guaranteed to lead to a set of cataclysmic environmental crises.

Amid the many fossil-fueled conflicts in the region, one of them, packed with threats, large and small, has been largely overlooked, and Israel is at its epicenter. Its origins can be traced back to the early 1990s when Israeli and Palestinian leaders began sparring over rumored natural gas deposits in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Gaza. In the ensuing decades, it has grown into a many-fronted conflict involving several armies and three navies. In the process, it has already inflicted mindboggling misery on tens of thousands of Palestinians, and it threatens to add future layers of misery to the lives of people in Syria, Lebanon, and Cyprus. Eventually, it might even immiserate Israelis.

Resource wars are, of course, nothing new. Virtually the entire history of Western colonialism and post-World War II globalization has been animated by the effort to find and market the raw materials needed to build or maintain industrial capitalism. This includes Israel's expansion into, and appropriation of, Palestinian lands. But fossil fuels only moved to center stage in the Israeli-Palestinian relationship in the 1990s, and that initially circumscribed conflict only spread to include Syria, Lebanon, Cyprus, Turkey, and Russia after 2010.

With this, the Oslo Accords were officially doomed. By declaring Palestinian control over gas revenues unacceptable, the Israeli government committed itself to not accepting even the most limited kind of Palestinian budgetary autonomy, let alone full sovereignty. Since no Palestinian government or organization would agree to this, a future filled with armed conflict was assured.

The Israeli veto led to the intervention of British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who sought to broker an agreement that would satisfy both the Israeli government and the Palestinian Authority. The result: a 2007 proposal that would have delivered the gas to Israel, not Egypt, at below-market prices, with the same 10 percent cut of the revenues eventually reaching the PA. However, those funds were first to be delivered to the Federal Reserve Bank in New York for future distribution, which was meant to guarantee that they would not be used for attacks on Israel.

This arrangement still did not satisfy the Israelis, who pointed to the recent victory of the militant Hamas party in Gaza elections as a deal-breaker. Though Hamas had agreed to let the Federal Reserve supervise all spending, the Israeli government, now led by Ehud Olmert, insisted that no "royalties be paid to the Palestinians." Instead, the Israelis would deliver the equivalent of those funds "in goods and services."

When the Palestinians still refused to accept Israel's terms, the Olmert government decided to unilaterally extract the gas, something that, they believed, could only occur once Hamas had been displaced or disarmed. As former Israel Defense Forces commander and current Foreign Minister Moshe Ya'alon explained, "Hamas... has confirmed its capability to bomb Israel's strategic gas and electricity installations... It is clear that, without an overall military operation to uproot Hamas control of Gaza, no drilling work can take place without the consent of the radical Islamic movement."

Following this logic, Operation Cast Lead was launched in the winter of 2008. According to Deputy Defense Minister Matan Vilnai, it was intended to subject Gaza to a "shoah" (the Hebrew word for holocaust or disaster). Yoav Galant, the commanding general of the Operation, said that it was designed to "send Gaza decades into the past." As Israeli parliamentarian Tzachi Hanegbi explained, the specific military goal was "to topple the Hamas terror regime and take over all the areas from which rockets are fired on Israel."

Operation Cast Lead did indeed "send Gaza decades into the past." Amnesty International reported that the 22-day offensive killed 1,400 Palestinians, "including some 300 children and hundreds of other unarmed civilians, and large areas of Gaza had been razed to the ground, leaving many thousands homeless and the already dire economy in ruins." The only problem: Operation Cast Lead did not achieve its goal of "transferring the sovereignty of the gas fields to Israel."

As it happened, however, the Netanyahu regime also inherited a potentially permanent solution to the problem. An immense field of recoverable natural gas was discovered in the Levantine Basin, a mainly offshore formation under the eastern Mediterranean. Israeli officials immediately asserted that "most" of the newly confirmed gas reserves lay "within Israeli territory." In doing so, they ignored contrary claims by Lebanon, Syria, Cyprus, and the Palestinians.

After 25 years and five failed Israeli military efforts, Gaza's natural gas is still underwater and, after four years, the same can be said for almost all of the Levantine gas. But things are not the same. In energy terms, Israel is ever more desperate, even as it has been building up its military, including its navy, in significant ways. The other claimants have, in turn, found larger and more powerful partners to help reinforce their economic and military claims. All of this undoubtedly means that the first quarter-century of crisis over eastern Mediterranean natural gas has been nothing but prelude. Ahead lies the possibility of bigger gas wars with the devastation they are likely to bring.

Same old. Israel purposefully starting conflicts with Lebanon, Syria, Cyprus, and Palestine so that they can steal stuff.

This specific topic has been semi-under-the-radar in major news, but it seems likely to heat up a lot more as the clock keeps ticking.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

My idea of peace is everyone being reconciled in a single mass grave.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

Zelder posted:

How sad do you have to be to get drunk and then start posting in the I/P thread? Hang out with friends, go out to a bar, do something, but please don't drunk post on forums, it's very sad.
Nope dead sober.
Sue me.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

emanresu tnuocca posted:

don't crazy shame.

some people just learned that israel bad and they need a place to demonstrate their newfound intellectual mastery of the I/P conflict, don't take the fruits of attending one lecture during 'Israeli Apartheid Weak' away from them, even if they're crazy nuke fetishists.

Thank you.
It's a bitch to be crazy.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

President Kucinich posted:

My idea of peace is everyone being reconciled in a single mass grave.

This one Roman figured out how to call a desert peace! Caledonians hate him!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Between the chants of "Russians to Russia" and other commonly known forms of discrimination, it's truly bizarre for anyone honest to claim they aren't seen as "other" and somewhat less authentically Israeli than others:

"Are seen" by whom? I think that the passive form should be banned, to be honest. (Yes, I know, I was using the passive in that very sentence, sue me)

Some Israeli Jews see Russians as others. Other Israeli Jews see them as more Israeli than those draft-dodging Haredim. Israeli Jewish society is not monolithic. That's why you have 9 parties in the current Knesset who represent (predominantly) Israeli Jews, the largest of which holds only a quarter of the total number of seats (or between a quarter and a third of the seats held by those parties).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Yes. Did you think Leslie Nielsen was lying to you?

Seriously though, when I learned that lovely 80's action movies were actually right, and terrorists world over - from Ireland to Germany to Japan to the Middle East - were often united by their shared commitment to killing civilians, it was quite the revelation.

Groups with similar causes and ideologies often feel some solidarity with each other. The IRA in particular are strongly anti-colonialism, and have opposed colonial projects in Palestine for nearly a century.

• Locked thread