Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
how much does heavy spall liner help against high tier arty?

I put it on my kv-4 and kv-5 and with pref mm just cackle at most arty shooting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Mauser posted:

this is why I actually liked the French arty line. It's much less all or nothing. Faster reload and more accurate so that while your shots don't do as much damage, you're going to have rounds where you do pretty consistent damage. Slower reload arties are more up and down with matches where zero damage was done after 8 shots.

The mobility of the French arties also lets you position better and escape the inevitable collapsed flank. Downside is that shooting at anything with armor is a loving joke.

Just wait til your 261.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Hellsau posted:

I've never slandered anyone.

Are you on record as saying this? I just need to impeach you via your upcoming deposition.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 28, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Southern Dandy posted:

Are you on record as saying this? I just need to impeach you via your upcoming deposition.

I'll wait for the subpoena.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

I'll wait for the subpoena.

Paul Lekakis is my server on record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JcwdhozpNs

What's a tank thread without me gaying it up?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

James Garfield posted:

That's useful but the 13 90 isn't a T-54 :eng101:

Yeah, I mixed up the 1390 post with the T-54 post above that. Whoops!

FluffySquirrel posted:

Nope, I was in the cap circle myself and it was an encounter, it was locked on 6 since early on, we were only a few min in and just trying to light up the other guy for arty

The replay just ends quite suddenly

http://wotreplays.com/site/1746010?secret=ebe684f59b893acaa08a4be4bb1d6eb0

The other alternative is a server "hiccup." Not exactly common, but it's happened before. Everyone gets dumped back into the garage and the match disappears.

Mauser posted:

how much does heavy spall liner help against high tier arty?

I put it on my kv-4 and kv-5 and with pref mm just cackle at most arty shooting me.

The last time someone commented on this, he had done some tests and determined that spall liners don't reduce HE damage enough to be worth equipping over a better option (unless none exists), although the crew protection (from any type of damage) is useful.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

personally, as a higher tier french arty i prioritize american heavies and get pens with >1000k dmg shots with reasonable frequency.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I am having an issue where the game is RANDOMLY COMPLETELY CRASHING TO DESKTOP WITHOUT WARNING.

This is very very obnoxious and I WANT IT TO STOP or else I will display rage beyond even that of Rossmum.

Anyone have any tips?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I am having an issue where the game is RANDOMLY COMPLETELY CRASHING TO DESKTOP WITHOUT WARNING.

This is very very obnoxious and I WANT IT TO STOP or else I will display rage beyond even that of Rossmum.

Anyone have any tips?

Stop using Warpack. If for some reason you aren't trying to win using every advantage you can, stop playing. Or just reinstall completely and never install any mods. You'll quit anyway due to the lovely default interface.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hellsau posted:

Stop using Warpack. If for some reason you aren't trying to win using every advantage you can, stop playing.

what?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Anyone have any tips?

This is almost always because of a mod. Think on what you've installed recently, and if you aren't already, consider using a mod pack like Aslain's. Just through the amount of people who uses his, he's able to find out when a mod doesn't play nice with others.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lots of people are having crashes. It may or may not be linked in some way to cheaty mods, but people with no mods on are also getting crashes. The only ways to avoid crashes are to stop playing, or just don't install mods to try to minimize them.

e: also a lot of the time the crash happens when a game ends, even if you're in another game. So a game you were in previously that you left early finishes, and you crash when the result comes in.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hellsau posted:

Lots of people are having crashes. It may or may not be linked in some way to cheaty mods, but people with no mods on are also getting crashes. The only ways to avoid crashes are to stop playing, or just don't install mods to try to minimize them.

e: also a lot of the time the crash happens when a game ends, even if you're in another game. So a game you were in previously that you left early finishes, and you crash when the result comes in.

I have taken the liberty to bold the most important part of your sentence. As someone who has won W.o.T by no longer playing, I strongly recommend this course of action.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Hellsau posted:

stop playing

nods

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

stop playing

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

guidoanselmi posted:

personally, as a higher tier french arty i prioritize american heavies and get pens with >1000k dmg shots with reasonable frequency.

American heavies are squishy as poo poo if you don't hit the one spot that has armor. I'm thinking more of the russian and german nonsense that rolls around tier viii and up.

Best thing about French arty is being able to get into position to be shooting side armor.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

How did everyone get past the Caerny without loving killing themselves? Did you freexp that poo poo?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

There is the little death, that of the body, and the greater death. that of the soul. Look at the Conqueror owners and you'll have your answer.

gently caress the 20 pdr.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I have a question about this daily log in mission get free stuff thing. The game says I'm on day 19 right now, as I apparently managed to miss the first 2 days. If my day counting is correct, I'll get the SU-100Y if I don't miss any more days, and get it on Friday 4/8. My confusion is because the worldoftanks.com page about this event literally says this ends on Friday May 8th 9th (note the strike-through), which is wrong because the 9th is a Saturday. In-game info about this says the last day is actually Saturday May 9th. Am I correct in thinking the in-game info is the correct date ? I'm doing this on 2 separate accounts and getting screwed out of the SU-100Y on the last day would really piss me off, even after getting 2,950,000 credits and 6 bits of equipment for free. Both accounts already have a T7 Combat Car, so 750 free gold will be nice either way.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Here's a nice game.

5% win chance, not even the highest xp at 1.118. That's a nice game. I love the T71. I'm bad at scouting, but I'm great at shooting motherfuckers while they're not looking. Pew pew pew.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mesarthim, invite sent. Login at worldoftanks.com to accept.

Missing Name posted:

How did everyone get past the Caerny without loving killing themselves? Did you freexp that poo poo?

It's ok. I had a rough time just getting wins regardless of how I played, but it kind of works. The gun is decent even if it lacks alpha, and it has the depression to go hull-down. The hull can bounce, and so can the turret.

It's just a different playstyle, more of a heavy medium than a true heavy. That RoF and extra mobility can help you do certain things compared to a slower, heavier tank. I got a Kolobanov's in mine, for what that's worth.

MREBoy posted:

I have a question about this daily log in mission get free stuff thing. The game says I'm on day 19 right now, as I apparently managed to miss the first 2 days. If my day counting is correct, I'll get the SU-100Y if I don't miss any more days, and get it on Friday 4/8. My confusion is because the worldoftanks.com page about this event literally says this ends on Friday May 8th 9th (note the strike-through), which is wrong because the 9th is a Saturday. In-game info about this says the last day is actually Saturday May 9th. Am I correct in thinking the in-game info is the correct date ? I'm doing this on 2 separate accounts and getting screwed out of the SU-100Y on the last day would really piss me off, even after getting 2,950,000 credits and 6 bits of equipment for free. Both accounts already have a T7 Combat Car, so 750 free gold will be nice either way.

I'm sure the latter date is correct; some brilliant :rolleyes: individual in charge of the WGNA portal changed the date and not the day of the week. The in-game value should be correct.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Saying that the Caern has extra mobility is... let's call it generous.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
My Caern was blessed by the same British Tank gods that blessed my and everyone else's Black Prince apparently, since I did pretty drat well in the thing, despite its plentiful flaws.

e: their favor appears to have left me now that I'm in the Conqueror, though. drat fickle Brits.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Steelion posted:

My Caern was blessed by the same British Tank gods that blessed my and everyone else's Black Prince apparently, since I did pretty drat well in the thing, despite its plentiful flaws.

e: their favor appears to have left me now that I'm in the Conqueror, though. drat fickle Brits.

Free xp the top gun on the Conq. Not being able to frontally pen E100s with gold in a tier 9 heavy was just unacceptable.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Oh I've had the gun for ages, I elited the tank not too long ago. I've been doing better since, but not having the free XP to insta-buy the gun meant I was stuck with the 20pdr long enough for it to tank my stats in the meantime.

I am chronically short on free XP.

e: Same scenario with my Tortoise, except that thing needed the 120 even more, arguably.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Been away for a couple of months, have they replaced the Fv 4202 or plan to do it soon?

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
They have to find a profitable way to replace the FV before it happens :)

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Cippalippus posted:

Been away for a couple of months, have they replaced the Fv 4202 or plan to do it soon?

Nope, but Germany finally has it's own T-54 clone.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Steelion posted:

Oh I've had the gun for ages, I elited the tank not too long ago. I've been doing better since, but not having the free XP to insta-buy the gun meant I was stuck with the 20pdr long enough for it to tank my stats in the meantime.

I am chronically short on free XP.

e: Same scenario with my Tortoise, except that thing needed the 120 even more, arguably.

God yes the 20pdr is not a great gun at teir 8, at teir 9 it's :emo:

Now I have the 120mm it is much better. Not a big rear end doom gun but a good RoF and like a laser so snap shots are no longer snap shots. A great tank to sit back a bit and tack shot after shot at any idiot that you can see.

What the Cearn needs is a RoF buff to bring it's DPM in line with outher tier 8 tanks. DPM is not great i the meta of the game but it would make the Cearn at least useful but thats one of many things needed to fix the British line but the player base doesn't go apeshit over the British tanks so they will be sitting with the French and Chinese at the back.

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008
Can somebody explain why they refuse to implement a skill based matchmaker? I hate seeing most of my team being pretty new to the game and inexperienced and the enemy team being mostly made out of experienced players. It just seems really unfair sometimes.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

RandomAction Man posted:

Can somebody explain why they refuse to implement a skill based matchmaker? I hate seeing most of my team being pretty new to the game and inexperienced and the enemy team being mostly made out of experienced players. It just seems really unfair sometimes.

It is unfair, but WG. I'd rather lose a match where everyone actually played decently well.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

RandomAction Man posted:

WG has said several times that they consider the unavoidable steamrollers and unavoidable beatdowns to be a feature, not a bug. Apparently it keeps the game fresh to be down 0-6 after 45 seconds of battle.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Skill-based matchmaking is poo poo anyway. All it means is you eternally yo-yo between walkovers and deliberately rigged stompings as the game tries to balance your ratio.

gently caress MW:O.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

RandomAction Man posted:

Because WG has enough trouble with the MM as it is and adding in yet another thing it needs to look at will cause even more headaches and fuckups. Do you lump all the good players together and end up pushing their stats down and into lower skill brackets and defeat the point or do you spread it so the four top tiers have a spread of skill? But then you get the strength of the tanks so a good player in a good tank will still have a much greater impact than a good player in a lovely tank

Plus how do you know the persons stats are actually an indication of their skill? It's far too easy to pad stats and people do it so how do you measure some ones skill? You might get a matchup that on W/R looks even but one side may be full of stat padders while the other teams tomatoes might have made the effort to learn the game more over the last 100 matches and it still is a one sided stomp.

With a truly random MM it will statistically provide a mostly even team most of the time with only platoons messing with the randomness. Anything else will just end up being a massive fuckup

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

The T28 Concept is really fun to play, at least in tier 7 and 8 games. I'm not sure if it has low matchmaking weight or what, but I've been getting mostly tier 7 games, and it's really amazing at that tier. Bouncing 2000 damage while sitting in the open is not unusual, and you can pen anything you face with AP. Even in tier 8, you can pen most of what you see. The gun handling is incredibly good and aim time is low. The view range is also very good for a TD (370 meters).

So far getting matched into tier 9 games hasn't ruined the fun I've had playing it, but if my matchmaking luck changes then maybe it will sour me on the tank.

The biggest downside is that you can't carry unless the enemy team comes at you, and only from the front. If you have to turn around to reset cap, welp... forget it. This problem is somewhat mitigated by the fact that you can immediately push whatever flank you're on with your badass armor.

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 29, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Because WG has enough trouble with the MM as it is and adding in yet another thing it needs to look at will cause even more headaches and fuckups. Do you lump all the good players together and end up pushing their stats down and into lower skill brackets and defeat the point or do you spread it so the four top tiers have a spread of skill? But then you get the strength of the tanks so a good player in a good tank will still have a much greater impact than a good player in a lovely tank

Plus how do you know the persons stats are actually an indication of their skill? It's far too easy to pad stats and people do it so how do you measure some ones skill? You might get a matchup that on W/R looks even but one side may be full of stat padders while the other teams tomatoes might have made the effort to learn the game more over the last 100 matches and it still is a one sided stomp.

With a truly random MM it will statistically provide a mostly even team most of the time with only platoons messing with the randomness. Anything else will just end up being a massive fuckup

literally every MOBA has a skill MM system and the variants aren't that different.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mans posted:

literally every MOBA has a skill MM system and the variants aren't that different.

Yeah, just add a ladder system. Non ladder games are open pool like the current mm and don't affect rating on the ladder.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Azhais posted:

Yeah, just add a ladder system. Non ladder games are open pool like the current mm and don't affect rating on the ladder.

but they are adding a ladder system for teambattles for those interested in that.

I think the MM is fine, just platoon with 2 others, problem solved.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Finally! Completed my own ~personal~ goal of two marks of excellence on the Tiger and IS-6, got them in the same day too.

:allears: So pretty. (gently caress you unicums with 3 stars on everything, this is good enough for me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

maev posted:

Finally! Completed my own ~personal~ goal of two marks of excellence on the Tiger and IS-6, got them in the same day too.

:allears: So pretty. (gently caress you unicums with 3 stars on everything, this is good enough for me.)

1 star is good enough for me. *cries into the pillow*