Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I wish I could get the zen of torpedoes down, it always feel like I dodge or hit with them by blind luck, while I'll watch someone else send them out like they grew up torping poo poo. I'm probably not doing enough to dodge the things before they fire, but usually I get focused on gunning down the destroyer instead of surviving. I have a feeling my recklessness from tanks will not a be a help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gindack posted:

Are fighter heavy loadouts viable at higher tiers and how often do you get in MM with no enemy carriers?
Not really no. It seems there are fewer and fewer rounds of no enemy carriers now.

Picking a fighter heavy loadout will indeed let you shut down an enemy carrier to being useless. But it comes at the cost of shutting down YOUR carrier to being useless as well because you won't be dealing any damage to the enemy ships. It makes your carrier 100% dead weight and if the enemy carrier manages to even get off one successful torp hit anyway they have accomplished more than you did.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I wish I could have another fighter squadron without having to sacrifice all my damage dealing capability. The first loadout like that is the final one on the Lex with 2/2/0 for fighters/torp bombers/dive bombers. Then of course you have the 2/2/1 loadout on the Essex. Hell I would probably seriously consider a 2/1/1 loadout if they give me a choice for that.

E: The hilarious super heavy fighter loadouts I could see being pretty useful if you could party up with another CV but lol can't have that I guess

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 29, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

First fun game in a carrier.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Cardiac posted:

First fun game in a carrier.

Sometimes I don't understand how XP works in this game. I have had games that were pretty similar as this in terms of kills and damage done, yet I have never came close to this amount of XP. Am I right to assume this is your 1.5x ?

E: Very nice game btw.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Hi,

I would like to play games with goons, name is Kingred in game. Can I also get permissions on TS please?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dalael posted:

Sometimes I don't understand how XP works in this game. I have had games that were pretty similar as this in terms of kills and damage done, yet I have never came close to this amount of XP. Am I right to assume this is your 1.5x ?

There are pretty significant modifiers for winning and I think you get reduced XP for killing ships that are lower tiered/class than you.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
A rare 80k damage game in a Pensacola and then it's a draw....

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
The tears of some people are just too delicious.

I'm in my minekaze, rushing along side a Omaha in order to go sink a Langley. My guns can't track worth poo poo, so that leaves torpedoes... The Omaha decides to cut me off because he wants his kill so bad. Considering I hadn't shot anything or anyone yet, I decided that my only recourse was to drop my torpedoes anyways. After 4 of them 'accidently' slammed into the Omaha's hull, the guy starts bitching at me for the rest of the match (a good 4 or 5 minutes) claiming how I'm ruining the community and there is no way to keep assholes out of anywhere.

I wish I had taken a screenshot :smugmrgw:

E: On another note, I've been trying to get some reaction by starting every game today with the following: Christopher Hitchins was a saint and it is time for the Church to recognize him as such.

Surprisingly, no bites.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 29, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Dalael posted:

...the guy starts bitching at me for the rest of the match (a good 4 or 5 minutes) claiming how I'm ruining the community and there is no way to keep assholes out of anywhere.

You are doing the Lord's work.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dalael posted:

The tears of some people are just too delicious.

I'm in my minekaze, rushing along side a Omaha in order to go sink a Langley. My guns can't track worth poo poo, so that leaves torpedoes... The Omaha decides to cut me off because he wants his kill so bad. Considering I hadn't shot anything or anyone yet, I decided that my only recourse was to drop my torpedoes anyways. After 4 of them 'accidently' slammed into the Omaha's hull, the guy starts bitching at me for the rest of the match (a good 4 or 5 minutes) claiming how I'm ruining the community and there is no way to keep assholes out of anywhere.

I wish I had taken a screenshot :smugmrgw:

But this post just makes you sound like a giant rear end in a top hat?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So I heard the Aoba's supposedly poo poo?

Eh, I find her mediocre, but very much workable.:shrug: Nice long-range skirmishing and in close you can do nasty things with those torps.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

But this post just makes you sound like a giant rear end in a top hat?

You sir, are on the wrong forum. (I think you're looking for reddit)

The guy had a clear shot on the carrier. The only reason he cut me off, was so that I can't take shots myself. If I'm the rear end in a top hat in this story, then count that earlier post as me farting in protest.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dalael posted:

You sir, are on the wrong forum. (I think you're looking for reddit)

Sorry your smug 'I teamkilled a pubbie' post makes you look like a dick :qq:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dalael posted:

I think capping gives good xp because I've gotten 1000+ games where I've only done 30k gun damage but capped a point or two.

CitizenKain posted:

I wish I could get the zen of torpedoes down, it always feel like I dodge or hit with them by blind luck, while I'll watch someone else send them out like they grew up torping poo poo. I'm probably not doing enough to dodge the things before they fire, but usually I get focused on gunning down the destroyer instead of surviving. I have a feeling my recklessness from tanks will not a be a help.

The best way to escape torpedoes is to narrow your angle from the destroyer (Or cruiser if that somehow happened). The distance at which you need to turn away changes depending on the size of your ship and your turning radius. If you're farther than you need to be, congrats on escaping those torps. If you are right at the threshold, you're going to have to run away in a straight line for a while. If you're too close you die.

You have two options when it comes to hitting with torps. One is using the lead at long-range and hoping for the best. It's okay to blind fire sometimes, if there aren't good openings. You want to aim for battleships because they tend to get tunnel vision.

Close-range torpedoing is the good poo poo. You want to be within 6km of battleships, 5km of cruisers, and as close as you want with other destroyers. You can get to that distance just by charging your ship in low tiers, but above tier 5 you'll got shot to pieces before that happens. Instead, you need to use islands as cover as you get close. In fact, it's often very useful to stop your ship behind an island and let your target come to you. Just use to lead indicator to figure where you need to be, and where you need to aim. If you notice it changing, you need to lead it. If it is getting farther from the target, they are turning towards you, and you should just take a guess and launch torps ahead. If it is getting close to the target, they're turning away, and if they turn fast enough, you'll never hit them. The speed at which the indicator changes is dependant on how maneuverable the target ship is, and how close together you are.

Certain ships you just want to avoid. Clevelands are bullshit and will eat you up unless they are completely distracted.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I think capping gives good xp because I've gotten 1000+ games where I've only done 30k gun damage but capped a point or two.

Capping gives really good XP, way more than killing/dealing damage does.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Someone posted this image but no link to mod:

Where could I find the mod?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Ihmemies posted:

Someone posted this image but no link to mod:

Where could I find the mod?

That's the free gift ship Alpha players got, not modded.

Also the Cleveland is utterly retardedly OP and it's glorious.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Burt posted:

That's the free gift ship Alpha players got, not modded.

Also the Cleveland is utterly retardedly OP and it's glorious.

Sorry, I meant the IJN rising sun flag. Does it come only with the ship too?

Edit: no idea what's a good score but I think it's decent for Kongo:

When aircraft carriers don't know how to torp you, you can just have a nice field day.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 29, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

Sorry, I meant the IJN rising sun flag. Does it come only with the ship too?

The rising flag was my creation from a historical flag. I can post it later or better yet PM me asking for it so I remember. I'm out right now but will get it when I get home later.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Destroyers are so much fun to play :gizz:. I just had a game where I used an island to mask my approach and then popped out in between two destroyers, fired torpedoes left and right and killed both only taking one HE shell in return. Then I went chasing after their carriers but ran into a cruiser, so I torpedoed him before he could get his guns on me, then chased down one carrier with guns and torpedoes while another destroyer killed the second.

Also driving a destroyer teaches you how to dodge torpedoes and is maximum go fast.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Find what's wrong in this pic:

For a closer look:

He couldn't move or fire his guns anymore, but his AA kept firing and he kept being shown as alive.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do I mod the game? Grabbed the big crosshair screen without alt.rar and dumped it to /world of warships.

It has the paths.xml file and res_mods folder in place, but nothing happens to my reticle :(

Edit: guess the solution was MORE MODS. Installed 3 more rar files and magic happens! Finally a real crosshair with a long horizontal line across the screen.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 29, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Wow, Japanese destroyers are a waste of time. The Shimakaze looks good, but everything else just keeps getting slower and fatter while not making up for it in torpedo tubes. The guns are totally hosed the entire way down though.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Just pretend that the line ends with the Minekaze and play that until you can't stand yet. another. loving. match. on. god. drat. Fault. Line.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They're apparently unfucking the traverse speed on the IJN DD's guns and reducing the range at which you can spot torps, which are significant buffs. Those long range torpedoes are theoretically pretty good if you could actually hit anyone with them. Spotting range is only 7k-ish for the IJN DDs, so you can sit at 10ish and shoot torps forever. Limited only by the loving godawful reload time for the oxygen torpedoes. The Minekaze has 1.3 shots per second, which is a 30-second reload. The Mutsuki has .6 shots per second, which is a terrible 1:20~ish reload time and especially insulting since they're the exact same torpedoes the Minekaze has. The Shimakaze has .3 shots per second...yeargh.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Vengarr posted:

The Mutsuki has .6 shots per second, which is a terrible 1:20~ish reload time and especially insulting since they're the exact same torpedoes the Minekaze has.

Also it's the same drat ship. The difference is 2x3 vs 3x2 torp launchers and a couple of rounding errors.

poo poo no it's worse than that, the Mutsuki even has a lower ROF and traverse on the main guns and comes with the wonderful option of going down to 2x1 12 cms for main armament in exchange for a few of those dreadful 25 mm AA guns.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Prav posted:

Just pretend that the line ends with the Minekaze and play that until you can't stand yet. another. loving. match. on. god. drat. Fault. Line.

poo poo no it's worse than that, the Mutsuki even has a lower ROF and traverse on the main guns and comes with the wonderful option of going down to 2x1 12 cms for main armament in exchange for a few of those dreadful 25 mm AA guns.

North is a terrible map for destroyers. Icebergs is pretty good. But they seriously need to add more.

And I've sunk a fair bit of aircraft with those Mutsuki guns. The guns are just so lovely that you'd get more xp from plane kills then gun duels. I sold the Mutsuki immediately once I was through though.

Vengarr posted:

They're apparently unfucking the traverse speed on the IJN DD's guns and reducing the range at which you can spot torps, which are significant buffs. Those long range torpedoes are theoretically pretty good if you could actually hit anyone with them. Spotting range is only 7k-ish for the IJN DDs, so you can sit at 10ish and shoot torps forever. Limited only by the loving godawful reload time for the oxygen torpedoes. The Minekaze has 1.3 shots per second, which is a 30-second reload. The Mutsuki has .6 shots per second, which is a terrible 1:20~ish reload time and especially insulting since they're the exact same torpedoes the Minekaze has. The Shimakaze has .3 shots per second...yeargh.

The Shimakaze shoots 5 torps at a time and 3 launchers, which is a fair tradeoff for longer reload. Also I think you mean .3 shots per minute.

But the loving Kagero gets 2x4 tubes, when the Fubuki has 3x3 tubes. Why? It's only advantage is slightly more hp, what the gently caress

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pretty much all lines are a mess from tier 6 and up (lolfuso). DDs especially so.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ask me about knifefighting in a battleship. Big Race with Kongos onboth sides is kinda crazy, first shots tend to go flying 30 seconds into the match.
Also got two other 200k draws from divisioning with goons tonight. And now the Aoba grind begins...

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What is the time to t5 or t6 from scratch?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Zotix posted:

I've done 155 matches so far, I'm a mediocre player and I'm riding T6 on two lines (japanese cruiers and battleships) and T5 on another (US cruisers) while also having unlocked the Langley (T4 and start of the US CV line) and both T2 destroyers. If you beeline into T5, about 30-35 matches should be enough.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

T5 is quick, T6 is definitely where the grind begins.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

And I've sunk a fair bit of aircraft with those Mutsuki guns. The guns are just so lovely that you'd get more xp from plane kills then gun duels. I sold the Mutsuki immediately once I was through though.

But the loving Kagero gets 2x4 tubes, when the Fubuki has 3x3 tubes. Why? It's only advantage is slightly more hp, what the gently caress
I'd definitely use the Mutsuki hull with the two guns. The guns aren't even worth firing unless you're up against something that'll die in one hit, and the 25mm AA guns aren't that bad if planes get in range of them. It was more of a legitimate argument before closed beta, where you had a choice between two 12rpm guns with better AA or four 10rpm guns.

The Kagero used to have 2x4 20km torpedoes at tier 8, where the Fubuki had I think 3x4 faster, slightly higher damage 8km torpedoes. I guess the Kagero was really strong and the Fubuki less so, so they switched them and reduced the Fubuki to 3x3. Unfortunately they also changed torpedoes in the same patch.

Zotix posted:

30 or so matches to t5, and maybe 20-25 more to t6. The low tier ships go by pretty quickly.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The problem I have with the two-gun setup is that you have to yield pretty much all DD encounters.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I wonder how effective ap dive bombers will be. That may change our view on the fighter heavy loadouts considering the really quick change over on dive bombers versus torp bombers.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

I wonder how effective ap dive bombers will be. That may change our view on the fighter heavy loadouts considering the really quick change over on dive bombers versus torp bombers.

Hopefully they err on the strong side so that carriers at least have something going for them.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Missing Name posted:

If anyone here is interested in historical boatsperging, have some of my recommended reading material... I have all of these on my bookshelf, mixed in with the assorted poo poo floating about.

The World's Worst Warships by Anthony Preston
He's in the train of thought that the Bismark and Hood were both awful ships, equally doomed when they were sent into battle. Amazon reviews bitch about both inclusions :allears:

How picture heavy is this book, aka worth getting on a kindle?

Edit: Just wanted to buy it in the kindle store, no matches. Looks like I'll have to get it from amazon.de/ch instead.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 30, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

How picture heavy is this book, aka worth getting on a kindle?

It's got pictures, including starboard profile line drawings, but they aren't really important to the overall deal. The only two I think are vital are
a.) The wobbly main support deck on the Mogami class and
b.) The ridiculously top-heavy look of the Ryujo, wrong book
both of which are easy to find elsewhere.

e:
Mogami class.

Top: Profile.
Mid: Main support girder outlined.
Bottom: How every other loving navy built their main hull support.

Ryujo. This is the image I was thinking of but actually isn't in that book.

Compare that head-on profile compared to an American Independence-class light carrier (first in column). Both were cruiser hulls (Ryujo purpose built, Indies "stolen" from other Cleveland class), gutted and with hangars added.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Altough Fuso is slower than Kongo.. it isn't that bad when you invest 400k into the rudder modification. With the mod rudder shift time is 17.9s while Kongo has 18s.

6 turrets is a lot nicer, you can estimate lead with 1-2 turrets and then broadside with the rest. Altough they have the same amount of HP, Fuso has more armor and can take more hits. Also Fuso has 32 more of those terrible 25mm AA guns, which seem to down planes at least a bit better. Without upgrades and mods Fuso felt like a sad ship, but it stats to shine when you give it more time :black101: