Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dissss posted:

Or replace your gear knob with one that doesn't have the shift pattern printed on it (this one even featured on a recent Highway Patrol episode)

Seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Seriously?

Yep seriously.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

dissss posted:

Or replace your gear knob with one that doesn't have the shift pattern printed on it

This ones local to me too, although it's relaxed to just requiring a shift pattern visible from the driver's seat, so a sticker by the shifter is acceptable.

They have a special decision of traffic enforcement, VIU (vehicle inspection unit) that's out in force most cruisenights catching enthusiasts and giving them tickets for low washer fluid, loud exhaust (qualitatively assessed, not through any actual testing equipment other than the officers judgment), or failing to have adequate suspension (as tested by a fat cop pushing down on your fender and not getting 2" of movement from the suspension) and other very dangerous violations in addition to the lack of shift pattern on knob situation. The supposed reason for these roadside inspections is to cut down on the dangerous rolling shitpiles that arise from not having annual inspections, but in practice they seem to be targeted towards the Sunday night cruise because of easy tickets from how the highway code is written.

All in all, it's left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yikes. You can literally do anything at all to a car here that you want and never get hassled. I see guys driving poo poo like custom (Sawzall) convertibles all the time around town.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We just went from a six-monthly scheme for almost everything to a yearly scheme for everything older than warranty period, up to ten years old.

Nope, better. 12 Months as long as it's made after 2000. Regardless of km or anything else, your safety checks are twelve months apart.

Bald tyres everywhere :sun:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SperginMcBadposter posted:

MX-5 anime titties edition

Queensland plates, explains a hell of a lot.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

MX-5 anime titties edition

Even covered in that and with a girl in the passenger seat... :sissies:

Bajaha posted:

qualitatively assessed, not through any actual testing equipment other than the officers judgment
This is the part of these kinds of situations that really pisses me off. If there's a definite written rule that can be measured against, and you break that, that's a fair cop. The opinion of someone who isn't even close to being able to argue the point with people like us? Nope, gently caress off.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

revmoo posted:

Yikes. You can literally do anything at all to a car here that you want and never get hassled. I see guys driving poo poo like custom (Sawzall) convertibles all the time around town.

Not all the states in Australia are the same.
In Western Australia, cops won't bother you unless you're doing burnouts, street racing, drink driving or going 10 over the limit. In fact you will hardly see a cop. No annual inspections either. It's very relaxed around here, once you learn where they set up speed cameras you'll be happy to never have anything to do with cops

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Or replace your gear knob with one that doesn't have the shift pattern printed on it (this one even featured on a recent Highway Patrol episode)

Thats an mot failure in the uk, although its ok if you have a sticker with the pattern on it somewhere.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

track day bro! posted:

Thats an mot failure in the uk, although its ok if you have a sticker with the pattern on it somewhere.
Where is that in the manual?

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

wayfinder posted:

BMW mule t-bones police van, tips it over

Wonderful!

I've heard that the part of the Autobahn, closest to BMW, got a speed limit due to the number accidents with test mules, doing "high speed testing" (read: normal driving in BMW lingo). Given my experiences with test driving in the automotive sector, I'm not surprised. Be assured that all of the German high-precision vehicles are test-driven to this high of a standard.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

Where is that in the manual?

Its not, apparently the tester I used a while back was just being a prick.

This is what I should be looking at right?
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4i00000101.htm

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

track day bro! posted:

Its not, apparently the tester I used a while back was just being a prick.

This is what I should be looking at right?
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4i00000101.htm
Yep, that's the one.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

InitialDave posted:

Even covered in that and with a girl in the passenger seat... :sissies:
Good lord, I didn't notice that was a girl. I looked at the car and just assumed two nerd guys.
I feel bad for that girl.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Plankalkuel posted:

I've heard that the part of the Autobahn, closest to BMW, got a speed limit due to the number accidents with test mules, doing "high speed testing" (read: normal driving in BMW lingo). Given my experiences with test driving in the automotive sector, I'm not surprised. Be assured that all of the German high-precision vehicles are test-driven to this high of a standard.

There was a very high profile case a few years ago where a Mercedes test driver ran a young mother off the road, killing her and her 2-year-old. I found a number of news articles about test drivers from BMW and Mercedes Benz killing themselves and others, but nothing about a speed limit in reaction to those. There's no single part of the Autobahn that's "closest to BMW", since they have a number of factories in various different locations. The bit that fits the bill best, the A 92 from Munich to Deggendorf, has an essentially straight profile, no speed limits, and in fact noticeably better paving around Dingolfing (where the BMW plant is).

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 29, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Good lord, I didn't notice that was a girl. I looked at the car and just assumed two nerd guys.

Never mind the humans pictured, I feel bad for that car.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2UYj1-Jxg

:bravo:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's gonna be a major event in Russia when they discover bungee cords.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

That took an unexpected turn.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

She's probably into it too

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

:canada:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

One big bump and that truck folds in on those two.

That or it bounces them out of their camping chairs.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

If you hadn't said Canada, I would have easily guessed this was somewhere in the American South. Glad to see Canadian rednecks are just as ridiculous as Southern ones :911:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

That or it bounces them out of their camping chairs.

Both?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CommieGIR posted:

That body isn't very rusty even, they'll be fine. Unless they swerve and someone goes tumbling out the side.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

track day bro! posted:

My gear knob has no pattern and it's like that from the factory!!! It's never been a problem

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

dissss posted:

Slap this bad boy on the dash & go trollin':

NoWake fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 29, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

That appears to be a pre-'75 K5 Blazer, so minus the missing doors/seats it came like that from the factory. And I don't recall these things having major issues with frame rust.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

NoWake posted:

Is this from a real vehicle?

Please be real. Please be real.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Yeah that's from a Smart Car

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

GutBomb posted:

The impossible 5-6 shift should give you a clue, but I'll spoil it here:

It's from a range rover.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

NoWake posted:

You can tell it's from a sports car because 12 and 13 are straight back and forth from each other, which is where you spend most of your time doing that kind of driving.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

The impossible 5-6 shift should give you a clue

it is possible.

Down, left, down, left, up, second right, up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Or just shift through the 12th gear detent. If you give the stick a little wiggle, the synchros don't even try to engage.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
9th gear is the best, after reverse of course.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

bobbilljim posted:

9th gear is the best, after reverse of course.

I counted 3 times before I realized.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
What you're failing to take into consideration is this is clearly from a two-stick transmission.

Reverse is part of the 15 odd gears you can select with the other shifter.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fo3 posted:

Not all the states in Australia are the same.
In Western Australia, cops won't bother you unless you're doing burnouts, street racing, drink driving or going 10 over the limit. In fact you will hardly see a cop. No annual inspections either. It's very relaxed around here, once you learn where they set up speed cameras you'll be happy to never have anything to do with cops

10 kmh = a little over 6 mph. Cops usually don't bother you (outside of school zones) for less than 5 mph over where I'm at, though I try to stay within 3 mph.

I stopped speeding when I got popped for 105 in a 55 (MPH) years ago. Empty highway and running late to work on Christmas Eve is my only excuse, and I got cussed out for a solid 5 minutes on the side of the road, but got let go without a ticket (but caught my drivers license with my eye when he threw it back into the car).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fo3 posted:

My mate drove an old WA plated Falcon wagon in Melbourne for many years - apparently you aren't supposed to do that but the cops left him well alone.

Speedcameras over in NZ are getting quite nasty now - my mum got two (5 and 6 over) in the same day off a new camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I made you all something

Only registered members can see post attachments!