Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also, early Supertramp is some good prog-pop. It's easy to overlook them I guess, because they didn't take long to crossover to straight pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

Roxy Music is arguably progressive muisic, and Brian Eno is almost definitely progressive music. Gentle Giant is also worth exploring; they went full-on disco/Drama weirdness for their last few albums and they tend to keep it brief even as they're rocking out renaissance style

Love love love Roxy & Eno. There's a killer live version of Taking Tiger Mountain by guys from Parquet Courts and a couple other groups on youtube that's totally worth it.

e: I'm vaguely familiar with Supertramp; I've got a copy of Breakfast in America and I know a bunch of their other singles. I never really thought of them as proggy, but have previously described them as extremely "clever."

ee: I was phoneposting at the time, here's that Eno cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyePm9jsfoQ

hexwren fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 19, 2015

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
One of the founding members of Supertramp was Richard Palmer-James, later the lyricist for King Crimson from Larks' Tongues through Red.

It's been a long time since I listened to them, but I remember enjoying their first album, hating Indelibly Stamped, and that's all I've heard aside from their hits. Am I missing much?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rollersnake posted:

One of the founding members of Supertramp was Richard Palmer-James, later the lyricist for King Crimson from Larks' Tongues through Red.

It's been a long time since I listened to them, but I remember enjoying their first album, hating Indelibly Stamped, and that's all I've heard aside from their hits. Am I missing much?

Crime of the Century through Breakfast in America are all good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Declan MacManus posted:

Crime of the Century through Breakfast in America are all good.

Including Breakfast, or up to it? That's the only one I have, but it's too schmaltzy for me and I like schmaltz. I think the only older song of theirs I've heard is the one that goes right right you're bloody well right, which I do enjoy.

Fun fact: I got breakfast in America and Close to the edge in the same Columbia House mailer when I was 15

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Crime of the Century is a good start. There's a reason that I specified "early" Supertramp.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Earwicker posted:

Wobbler does the same exact thing, at least on their first album which is the only one I've listened to.

It's funny and also kind of sad that what is now meant by "prog that sounds like prog" is about as counter to the idea of progressive music as one can get. It's literally just a detailed imitation of a style from several decades ago.

I like Andy Tillison's definition of prog rock - it just means that the music literally progresses from one section to the next, instead of any weird notions of "pushing music forward" or whatever. Most early prog is really 'regressive' in nature, trying to cop from classical music and all, isn't it?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

I like Andy Tillison's definition of prog rock - it just means that the music literally progresses from one section to the next, instead of any weird notions of "pushing music forward" or whatever. Most early prog is really 'regressive' in nature, trying to cop from classical music and all, isn't it?

I disagree because the best of it doesn't just cop from classical music but draws a lot of influence from jazz, blues, and folk music as well as other forms of rock, and the end result doesn't sound like classical music at all. The influence is there of course but it's still a completely different kind of music.

I don't think pushing music forward is a weird notion at all, I think it's a great notion and a better one than trying to constantly regurgitate what Yes and Genesis were doing in 1972. I love was Yes and Genesis were doing in 1972, but if I want to hear that I'll just put on their albums or live material from that period, I find it hard to get that into anyone still making "new" music in the exact same style decades later.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Early Moodies/Nice stuff was an attempt to blend the 'sophistication' of classical music with rock n' roll, and yeah I agree that it became much more than that, but really by your definition 'modern' prog can't really sound anything like what it did in the 70's - 'modern' prog then would be stuff like Radiohead, Tortoise, Underworld, Max Tundra, etc. etc.

I agree that the play-like-it's-'72-crew often feels a bit awkward for that reason, my first impression of Wobbler was "this guys are great but I think I'll just go listen to Tarkus for the 50th time". I still dig Glass Hammer though, if only because they try to play up the most ridiculous or over-the-top traits of Yes/ELP and often put their own spin on things (dunno how I feel about the Jon soundalike even if he's the best singer they've had).

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Quite a few of the RIO bands had varying degrees of classical influence, it's especially prominent in Univers Zero who were almost not a rock band at all, they were playing chamber music that happened to feature rock instruments on some of it. Really dark dissonant stuff, but very cool.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

but really by your definition 'modern' prog can't really sound anything like what it did in the 70's - 'modern' prog then would be stuff like Radiohead, Tortoise, Underworld, Max Tundra, etc. etc.

I would certainly say Underworld, Tortoise, and Max Tundra have been more musically progressive than much of what is considered actual genre "prog" these days.

As for Radiohead, I like them a lot but really are they're just very good at writing and arranging atmospheric pop rock songs, I don't really understand why they are so often seen as these great innovators.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Earwicker posted:

As for Radiohead, I like them a lot but really are they're just very good at writing and arranging atmospheric pop rock songs, I don't really understand why they are so often seen as these great innovators.

Because Rolling Stone hasn't had a Floyd record to write about since '94.

(I still think rh is great but come on.)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Earwicker posted:

I would certainly say Underworld, Tortoise, and Max Tundra have been more musically progressive than much of what is considered actual genre "prog" these days.

I'm talking more about the idea of assimilating modern influences into existing structures and trying to pull threads from all over the place. I agree that RH aren't really innovators but they do have the ability to 'think beyond' what you expect from a prog group. Maybe Porcupine Tree would be a better example. Or Bjork maybe. And so on.

The reason why I bought up Tillison's definition is because A) nobody can agree what "progressive rock" really means so who cares, and B) I think it's odd that music that sounds just like Yes shouldn't be considered "prog" for whatever reason.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

I think it's odd that music that sounds just like Yes shouldn't be considered "prog" for whatever reason.

It's prog rock, but it's not progressive rock :)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

BigFactory posted:

Including Breakfast, or up to it? That's the only one I have, but it's too schmaltzy for me and I like schmaltz. I think the only older song of theirs I've heard is the one that goes right right you're bloody well right, which I do enjoy.

Fun fact: I got breakfast in America and Close to the edge in the same Columbia House mailer when I was 15

Breakfast is schmaltzy cheese whatevers but it's very tight schmaltzy cheese. Everything up to that is pretty good progressive pop.

I think Pink Floyd is the most accessible prog rock band (to the point where I'm not sure if they can even be considered a "true" prog band anymore than say Barclay James Harvest or Wishbone Ash)

Earwicker posted:

Because of rockism duh

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Earwicker posted:

It's prog rock, but it's not progressive rock :)

I'll take it !

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

JAMOOOL posted:

by your definition 'modern' prog can't really sound anything like what it did in the 70's - 'modern' prog then would be stuff like Radiohead, Tortoise, Underworld, Max Tundra, etc. etc.

There is a degree of crossover between Prog Rock and Post-Rock, esp. Radiohead, Tortoise, Underworld and some of "classic" Post-Rocks: Godspeed, Explosions, Russian Circles, This Will Destroy You, etc. I think it totally is possible to define Prog in musical terms. But Prog also had progressive connotations in terms of musical movements and tastes of 1966-1976. It is possible to be musically Prog without being progressive now but I haven't anything like that done recently I like. As many of you say, if I want that I go back and listen to old stuff. Post-rock manages to take the spirit of progressiveness and fuse it with other genres and be innovative - which is what Prog did 66-76.

Are there any artists who are new (in the last 10-15 years) who do stuff that is musically close to classic Prog that you would recommend?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Are there any artists who are new (in the last 10-15 years) who do stuff that is musically close to classic Prog that you would recommend?

I would say Oblivion Sun, Unitopia, Glass Hammer. Maybe Beardfish, to an extent. Also, the latest Opeth album is more classic-y.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

I would say Oblivion Sun, Unitopia, Glass Hammer. Maybe Beardfish, to an extent. Also, the latest Opeth album is more classic-y.

The Tangent, some of Steven Wilsons stuff, spock's beard maybe

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Spocks beard is terrible

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

hence the maybe. Some of their earlier stuff is okay.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Just applied for the June Introduction to Guitar Craft camp. Fripp will direct. We'll see!

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I remember buying two Spock's Beard albums in the 90s. Beware of Darkness and The Light. Beware of Darkness was good, if not a little generic sounding prog rock that called back to the early 70s. I remember really liking the song, The Doorway. The Light was kind of meh, there were a few good parts, but overall it just didn't click with me. It's been over ten years since I've listened to those CDs so that says something about them right there. Maybe my opinion's changed ... but probably not. I remember I really liked the instrumentation, but found the singer to have a very generic rock voice that just wasn't unique enough to make the songs interesting. They're not a terrible band. They're just pretty average as far as prog rock bands go. And they're not really progressive in the true sense of the word.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 29, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out. :)

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Rust Martialis posted:

Just applied for the June Introduction to Guitar Craft camp. Fripp will direct. We'll see!

*sigh* one day. One day I will eat porridge in the woods with Fripp.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I wish Rick Wakeman would set up some kind of Synth Wizard camp for us keyboard dorks

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have a feeling Rick Wakeman would make you do stuff like wash his car at fantasy camp.

I want drum lessons and life coaching from Carl Palmer.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

If you're into the whole Yes/ELP style of explosions and bombast and really fast keyboard playing I think Glass Hammer may be right up yr alley

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigFactory posted:

I have a feeling Rick Wakeman would make you do stuff like wash his car at fantasy camp.

worked for the Karate Kid..

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Noise Machine posted:

*sigh* one day. One day I will eat porridge in the woods with Fripp.

Aaaaand accepted:

quote:

Dear Rust:

Congratulations, your application has been accepted for the Introduction to the Guitar Circle Course, June 8-14, 2015, Hope, NJ.

The course will take place at:

Hope Conference and Renewal Center

15 Ridgeway Avenue

Hope, NJ, 07844

The Center phone number is (908) 459-4435

Participants are asked to arrive morning to early afternoon on Monday, June 8, in time to settle in before the evening meal at 7pm. The course will complete on Saturday night, June 13. Restoration of the property and departures from the facility will take place on Sunday, June 14, before lunch. Please arrange your travel plans with this timeframe in mind.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Rust Martialis posted:

Aaaaand accepted:

Congrats! A close friend of mine/former bandmate has been to a few and is a "Level II" according to their vernacular. He highly suggested it to me. It seems like as long as you're pretty open to ideas and not just "d00d when are we gonna learn to play SCHZOID?!?!?!111" you'll be admitted. I'd love to hear all about it when you've completed the retreat.

This is INCREDIBLY nerdy but I've wanted to string another guitar in NST for years, but always stopped myself citing it would be unfair if I took a beginners' GC course.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 30, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
The new Steve Hackett album looks pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KLnVcWg3nw

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That is quite possibly the gooniest album cover ever made.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

future "post bad album covers" thread material. thank you steve.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Seventh Arrow posted:

That is quite possibly the gooniest album cover ever made.

It's always cool when the prog aesthetic turns into straight up new age.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Magma in Vancouver last night was a religious experience.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
^Awesome. They were great the two times I saw them (2003 and 2007 headlining NEARfest), so I'm glad to hear they've still got it!

On an unrelated note, the new Between the Buried and Me is shaping up to be their best. drat this is good stuff.
https://soundcloud.com/metalbladerecords/btbam-memory-palace

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes are touring again this summer. Wiiiiiith...Toto.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes are touring again this summer. Wiiiiiith...Toto.

That's so cool and so dorky at the same time .. like the Steve Hackett album cover ... like prog rock in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Anekdoten, amazingly, just released a new album. Not breaking a lot of new ground sound-wise, although its a lot denser and heavier than their last couple of releases. Here's an instrumental featuring Per Wiberg (former keyboardist from Opeth), Theo Travis, and Marty Wilson-Piper (The Church).

Also I had no idea until recently that Haken released an EP last year, a reworking of an earlier demo from the mid 2000's. Really excellent stuff. Both albums are on Spotify also.

Excited for the new BTBAM, they seem to be heading in the right direction.

No discussion of the new Steven Wilson? Just got it in the mail last week, still digesting it.