Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Christ Alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

noooo, don't let yourself get surprised by Germans

that's how they get you

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Happy happy birthday!
Today's your special day!
Happy happy birthday!
And Here we are to say!
Happy happy birthday!
May all your dreams come true!
Happy happy birthday
From Red Robin to you!
YAAAAYYYY!!!!!!

Many times I heard that song. Luckily I never had to sing it. Working on the line had at least some advantages.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
This commercial has been airing every eleven seconds or so for the last ten years in north Mississippi. It's... something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lANJc_QIXU0

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I honestly thought I was in the First World Problems thread until I reached the bottom of the page and saw the title again

every thread in pyf blends together at some point because the same 15 or so people post in every thread at the same time

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

I don't get it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Armyman25 posted:

I don't get it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/germanwings-flight-4u9525

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I don't get it either. Everyone knows about the crash. What makes that particular ad a "dumb move in marketing"?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

The "Get ready to be surprised" is really unfortunate/hilarious phrasing, but unless that ad was made after the crash it's just a funny coincidence, not dumb marketing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Crashing into the alps is a surprise you spergs

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

idk it's kind of a stretch.

Delta Airlines OTOH has the slogan of "Keep climbing" which would have been much more ironic

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The poo poo with the Germanwings crash is completely unprecedented in the history of aviation and will lead to vast, sweeping changes in the industry but even the most banal of ads could be construed as bad in the shadow of what happened.

In 50 years what happened with Andreas Lubitz will still be a case study in best practices and safeguards for situations where a single person can take over and kill dozens of people they have power/control over. I am almost certain that every airline that exists will establish policies so it's impossible for a similar situation to ever occur again.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

larchesdanrew posted:

This commercial has been airing every eleven seconds or so for the last ten years in north Mississippi. It's... something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lANJc_QIXU0

Haha I remember that commercial from when I was in college about a decade ago. So glad it's still around.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

My last job involved a LOT of travel to small towns in northern NY and New England, and most of these "mom and pop" places have the worst God damned food...I'd usually rather go to a loving Applebee's or Chili's if there was one ...

Actually, in my work I periodically have to travel a lot around the world, and on the arrival day the most welcome thing usually is KFC, McDonalds or Burger King at walking distance from my hotel. No fuss about learning the local places or dishes with the jetlag and 10+ hours of travel, get food and get rest. On the second day start looking around for local specials and places to eat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pentyne posted:

The poo poo with the Germanwings crash is completely unprecedented in the history of aviation

It's actually not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAM_Mozambique_Airlines_Flight_470

quote:

On 21 December 2013, the Mozambican Civil Aviation Institute (Instituto Moçambicano de Aviação Civil, IACM) head João Abreu presented the preliminary investigation report, according to which Captain Herminio dos Santos Fernandes had a "clear intention" to crash the jet and manually changed its autopilot settings.[14] The plane's intended altitude was reportedly changed three times from 38,000 feet (11,582 m) to 592 feet (180 m), the latter being below ground level, and the speed was manually adjusted as well.[15] The cockpit voice recorder captured several alarms going off during the descent, as well as repeated loud bangs on the door from the co-pilot, who was locked out of the cockpit until shortly before the crash.[2][16]

Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilkAir_Flight_185
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

pentyne posted:

The poo poo with the Germanwings crash is completely unprecedented in the history of aviation and will lead to vast, sweeping changes in the industry but even the most banal of ads could be construed as bad in the shadow of what happened.

Maybe in terms of fatalities, but pilots deliberately crashing planes is not unprecedented even though most of the cases are kind of iffy on details (excluding the pilot making religious chants on the recording as the plane lost altitude). The US already had a rule for all its airlines that two people must be in the cockpit at any given time to prevent this kind of scenario, but every other country seems to have adopted it as well in the last few days.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Depressingly, none of them were "white" people, which is what gets the headlines.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pentyne posted:

Depressingly, none of them were "white" people, which is what gets the headlines.

Pretty sure EgyptAir 990 was a headliner when it went down.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/01/us/crash-egyptair-990-overview-egyptian-jet-carrying-217-plunges-into-atlantic.html

It's also kind of funny how you were unaware of those other crashed until just now, but it's everybody *else* that's racist for paying attention to the current disaster.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

pentyne posted:

haha good lord

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Crashing into the alps is a surprise you spergs

This is what happens when you fly with a stranger in the Alps.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

This is what happens when you fly with a stranger in the Alps.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
SeaWorld decided to do one of those Twitter Q&As companies love to do yesterday:

Let's just say they didn't get the type of questions they were hoping for.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

mrkillboy posted:

SeaWorld decided to do one of those Twitter Q&As companies love to do yesterday:

:justpost:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Moddington posted:

The "Get ready to be surprised" is really unfortunate/hilarious phrasing, but unless that ad was made after the crash it's just a funny coincidence, not dumb marketing.

I didn't make the connection to the crash until after I made my joke, which was supposed to be about the Second World War :colbert:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Ruby Tuesday won't do the happy birthday thing because they're a fine dining establishment.

With a salad bar.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Ruby Tuesday won't do the happy birthday thing because they're a fine dining establishment.

With a salad bar.

It's pretty loving bad when Ruby Tuesday has more integrity than a given establishment.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

This picture was taken before the crash, right?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Deutsche Bahn, the largest German railway company, is infamous for their frequent delays and resulting missed connections. They're now starting a new image campaign focusing on the ways people spend their time on the train, from working to watching TV shows to doing more unusual stuff like practice stage magic or slam poetry.

The campaign slogan is "this time is yours alone" and no one, absolutely no one, in the country is going to read that on a Deutsche Bahn poster without thinking "yeah, mine like the 40 minutes I arrived late for my job interview once" and there will never be another delay announcement in trains again that won't immediately be followed by an eye-rolling "yours alone, right."

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Deutsche Bahn, the largest German railway company, is infamous for their frequent delays and resulting missed connections.
I thought in Germany something like this was grounds for public floggings or worse.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Merkel can't make the trains run on time?

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

mrkillboy posted:

SeaWorld is loving flailing, so they're probably gonna try flinging a lot of poo poo at the wall to see if anything sticks. It would probably be best from their perspective to just put a rebuttal to Blackfish on their website and generally shut the gently caress up and stay out of the headlines long enough for the controversy to fall out of the headlines. Doing an open forum with the general internet is probably the absolute worst thing they could do, haha.

I just learned that SeaWorld went public only two fuckin months before that flick came out. That is fuckin hilarious. Their stock price has halved since they got on the NYSE in mid 2013.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Whatev posted:

SeaWorld is loving flailing, so they're probably gonna try flinging a lot of poo poo at the wall to see if anything sticks. It would probably be best from their perspective to just put a rebuttal to Blackfish on their website and generally shut the gently caress up and stay out of the headlines long enough for the controversy to fall out of the headlines. Doing an open forum with the general internet is probably the absolute worst thing they could do, haha.

I just learned that SeaWorld went public only two fuckin months before that flick came out. That is fuckin hilarious. Their stock price has halved since they got on the NYSE in mid 2013.

I do like how they keep trying to 'rebrand' and set the tone, missing the point that people dislike them because of their business model, not in how they tell the story of that model. Have whales = bad is what they are fighting against but nope let's keep trying to PR our way out of the wasteland that is our image.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Huntersoninski posted:

I always thought that the embarrassing song was the price some people were willing to pay for the free piece of cake/scoop of ice cream/sopapilla/whatever some restaurants give you if they find out it's your birthday.

It's a good way to humiliate your friends and annoy the poo poo out of every other person in the place. One thing I can tell you from working in a place that had a crushingly obnoxious birthday song is that the waitstaff loving hates it too. Especially when we're busy. Hey congratulations, Whoever is Having a Birthday! You just slowed down service for literally everybody else in the place by at least five minutes. Not only do they hate you for how annoying this poo poo is but they also hate you for delaying your food!

Pretty much nobody actually liked the drat songs. Really small kids thought it was great that strangers somehow knew it was their birthday and were singing for them and then they got this SO HUGE scoop of ice cream way bigger than they got at home! Where I worked you also got a (probably halfway stale) sugar cookie too. For anybody older than 4 the ice cream was more like a consolation prize than anything. A few places would let you pick out a slice of free pie with ice cream but they were also invariably the ones with the absolute worst songs imaginable. But let's be honest; you should not be taking 2 or 3 year olds out for dinner to a place that isn't child-specific like ever.

The exceptionally stupid part was that the songs were generally excurtiatingly terrible songs that shoehorned in advertisements about the place and how awesome and cool the place was. Much of it was just marketing, really, or stupid puns on what the place's name was or what its specialties were. They always rhymed horribly and sounded like somebody that knew literally nothing about music wrote them because...well...that's what happened. Somebody, somewhere, in marketing thought it was a great idea to force servers to take time out to gather up and sing a stupid song that annoyed the poo poo out of everybody while singing a butchered birthday song that was mostly about telling anybody in earshot about how great the place was while irritating everybody there. I knew a lot of people who just flat out refused to eat out if it was or was near their birthday just so they could avoid that bullshit.

edit: Speaking of kids children's menus are a sure-fire way to make waitstaff hate their lives. Like I get why they exist; marketing thinks that attracting parents by offering cheap/free kids food will make the store money. However, you'd see things like "hey you can get a free child salad bar purchase for each adult salad bar!" and people would come in with eight children then order an adult salad bar and a water and expect all the kids to eat free. Yeah sure, we'll just get right on feeding your entire loving horde for $6. Totally reasonable. Everybody that tried to do that also did literally nothing to control their horde of filthy spawn while bitching that they had to pay for seven child-priced salad bars. They'd leave the place a gigantic mess, complain that there wasn't enough "real food" on the salad bar, then not tip. Yes, that's a fantastic demographic to attract, Marketer McSalespants! It won't devastate employee morale and force the servers to make less money because of how much time they spend cleaning up after this poo poo rather than waiting on customers.

"Family-friendly" directly translates to "every person that works here contemplates suicide on a nightly basis."

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Mar 29, 2015

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

KakerMix posted:

I do like how they keep trying to 'rebrand' and set the tone, missing the point that people dislike them because of their business model, not in how they tell the story of that model. Have whales = bad is what they are fighting against but nope let's keep trying to PR our way out of the wasteland that is our image.
I guess it's sorta of a rock and a hard place thing, especially now that they are public. Shareholders usually aren't patient and they probably wanna see active attempts to rebrand, but there's no way to brand their way out of their shittiness and it's hard to see how they are gonna grow revenue. It's not like food or electronics or clothes, which are part of modern life and take effort to purchase ethically. It's pretty fuckin easy to boycott SeaWorld.

Reminds me of those awful HFCS commercials from a few years ago. Now I ain't really seen any scientific consensus that HFCS is really any worse for you than cane sugar, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ-ByUx552s
there is a 0% chance these slick, scummy ads did anything but reinforce the fears of skeptics and introduce skepticism to people who hitherto were ignorant to the claims against the goop.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

KakerMix posted:

How could Seaworld get out of the pit that is their image? Would basically completely rebranding, getting in new management (or pretending to), getting rid of the orcas and admitting that keeping Orcas in captivity is a bad move and funding rehabilitation-and-release do them any good, or would it make them look even worse? Can they survive without the Orca shows and the money it brings in from people who don't know/care about the issues?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fatkraken posted:

How could Seaworld get out of the pit that is their image? Would basically completely rebranding, getting in new management (or pretending to), getting rid of the orcas and admitting that keeping Orcas in captivity is a bad move and funding rehabilitation-and-release do them any good, or would it make them look even worse? Can they survive without the Orca shows and the money it brings in from people who don't know/care about the issues?

There's a very good chance that the answer is "they can't." Freak shows ended because people started questioning how good it was for the performers and the freaks themselves were often treated quite badly. Once the public found out about that it large faded from existence beyond some circuses being all "hey here is a goat with six legs!" Now that people are being more concerned with animal welfare circus elephants and show orcas are coming heavily under fire and will probably just fade away like freak shows did. Yeah some people don't give a poo poo but most humans are actually capable of empathy. In the case of orcas pretty much everybody in America has seen Free Willy at least once.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's a very good chance that the answer is "they can't." Freak shows ended because people started questioning how good it was for the performers and the freaks themselves were often treated quite badly. Once the public found out about that it large faded from existence beyond some circuses being all "hey here is a goat with six legs!" Now that people are being more concerned with animal welfare circus elephants and show orcas are coming heavily under fire and will probably just fade away like freak shows did. Yeah some people don't give a poo poo but most humans are actually capable of empathy. In the case of orcas pretty much everybody in America has seen Free Willy at least once.

The sad part is, there is nothing that can be done to save the orcas other than, what, direct death? Some people advocate returning them to the wild (and that worked so well for Keiko) or putting them somewhere where they still get vet care but no shows. But SeaWorld is a business. I don't think they're a non-profit either. I don't think they can put the orcas "somewhere" and keep them alive for the rest of their lives. Maybe they can, maybe there's some safe harbor the whales can go in and be fed and cared for, but I doubt it.

I worked in a for-profit zoo for years. The poo poo that goes on is sometimes insane. And honestly, there's what, 30, maybe 40 orcas tops in the various sea parks? There's millions of parrots who are dumped or attempted to be dumped at zoos every year. I don't see any group boycotting the loving import or sale of parrots at loving Petsmarts. Not that orcas don't need help, but every time someone moans about SeaWorld to me, or how it's so cruel to see tigers in a zoo, I ask them what the hell we should do with the animals then, because releasing them to the wild results in their death, and gently caress, if people can't be bothered to spay and neuter their cats and dogs, I don't think they're going to want to throw some tax money in to feed captive orcas or keep them happy in isolation.

I've never worked for SeaWorld. Even as a kid I though it was horrible they took a gray whale calf to raise in captivity just to see if it could be done. But the orcas now are like old timers in prison who have served their 40 or 50+ years. Sending them back to their 'normal environment' defeats it all. Just what do we do with the drat orcas once the shows fail and SeaWorld needs to be rid of them?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

The sad part is, there is nothing that can be done to save the orcas other than, what, direct death? Some people advocate returning them to the wild (and that worked so well for Keiko) or putting them somewhere where they still get vet care but no shows. But SeaWorld is a business. I don't think they're a non-profit either. I don't think they can put the orcas "somewhere" and keep them alive for the rest of their lives. Maybe they can, maybe there's some safe harbor the whales can go in and be fed and cared for, but I doubt it.

I worked in a for-profit zoo for years. The poo poo that goes on is sometimes insane. And honestly, there's what, 30, maybe 40 orcas tops in the various sea parks? There's millions of parrots who are dumped or attempted to be dumped at zoos every year. I don't see any group boycotting the loving import or sale of parrots at loving Petsmarts. Not that orcas don't need help, but every time someone moans about SeaWorld to me, or how it's so cruel to see tigers in a zoo, I ask them what the hell we should do with the animals then, because releasing them to the wild results in their death, and gently caress, if people can't be bothered to spay and neuter their cats and dogs, I don't think they're going to want to throw some tax money in to feed captive orcas or keep them happy in isolation.

I've never worked for SeaWorld. Even as a kid I though it was horrible they took a gray whale calf to raise in captivity just to see if it could be done. But the orcas now are like old timers in prison who have served their 40 or 50+ years. Sending them back to their 'normal environment' defeats it all. Just what do we do with the drat orcas once the shows fail and SeaWorld needs to be rid of them?

This is such a bullshit way of thinking. There are obviously other options besides keeping them as caged performing animals or bunging them back in the sea and hoping for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is such a bullshit way of thinking. There are obviously other options besides keeping them as caged performing animals or bunging them back in the sea and hoping for the best.

I think the point is that the other options are all massively expensive, and thus less likely to happen. I dunno, I hold out hope that someone could put together a not completely terrible orca habitat and keep it afloat on a combination of donations, federal grants, and charging people to hang out around an orca habitat and rubber neck. You know, like how decent zoos operate, as opposed to lovely exploitative ones do.