Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Anyone want to take a wing of Mig-21s out for a Sunday drive this afternoon?

I fell back in love last night when I discovered pop-up strikes, and the resulting canyon chases. Feels good to take out 4th gen fighters in a tin can with a rocket on the back, even if they are AI. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Actually just bought the SU 27 and F15 since they were on sale and made it an even 20 bucks with the BF 109. Since I've only played with the mig 21 and choppers, I might have developed an over inflated sense of the flight modelling in DCS. Choppers in DCS are really good compared to every other flight sim on the market. And Leatherneck is probably one of the best 3rd party devs out there. I've had to learn all about blown flaps and throttle management for the mig 21 in order to land the thing. Su-27 in DCS feels wonky as poo poo FM wise.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
As far as I know the Flaming Cliffs pack of planes still use the FC3 flight models. They are planned to receive full sim FMs, but who knows when.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
The Su-27 got a massive update fairly recently so that you can actually crash it now and I think it applies to the FC3 version. I think they updated or have been talking about updating the F-15 to be full-sperg clickable cockpit mode but I don't know if that's been implemented yet.

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

I've had to learn all about blown flaps and throttle management for the mig 21 in order to land the thing. Su-27 in DCS feels wonky as poo poo FM wise.

It's just :rice: as gently caress but the recently updated FM is pretty good. While the Mig-21 is probably the best in DCS for serious sim flying, the Su-27 is pure fun.

I mean, just look at what a this Su-35(?) can do on a whim irl:

Try flying it with the direct control switch (aka Cobra mode) and you'll see how many limits the plane automatically puts on you to prevent you from crashing. Though if you want to play for kills against other players, the F-15 is the way to go and is a lot easier for BVR type stuff.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Thief posted:

The Su-27 got a massive update fairly recently so that you can actually crash it now and I think it applies to the FC3 version. I think they updated or have been talking about updating the F-15 to be full-sperg clickable cockpit mode but I don't know if that's been implemented yet.

It's just :rice: as gently caress but the recently updated FM is pretty good. While the Mig-21 is probably the best in DCS for serious sim flying, the Su-27 is pure fun.

I mean, just look at what a this Su-35(?) can do on a whim irl:

Try flying it with the direct control switch (aka Cobra mode) and you'll see how many limits the plane automatically puts on you to prevent you from crashing. Though if you want to play for kills against other players, the F-15 is the way to go and is a lot easier for BVR type stuff.

Wheres the fun in that? I usually PVP using the Mig 21. The SU-27 feels like loving easy mode.

I'm surprised they havn't gone Full clickable DCS sperg with the F-15 and Su-27 at least. Seems like a lot of the work is done already.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I just got the huey. It's pretty neat so far. Not too much in terms of controls but it is pretty hard to fly it around.... I haven't gotten around to mapping the controls but the cyclic, yaw, and collective are properly mapped. I'll have to figure out all the other crap at some point. And figure out the whole saitek software poo poo with the mapping within DCS. Who decided that type of key mapping was a good idea?

At some point I have to figure out at least the F-15c. But then again there are profiles out there that aren't really well labeled and I want something along iron's profile.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I use Iron's x52 profile for all modules and just map each new plane as I learn within DCS itself. I avoid using Saitek's profiler whenever possible.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Wheres the fun in that? I usually PVP using the Mig 21. The SU-27 feels like loving easy mode.

I'm surprised they havn't gone Full clickable DCS sperg with the F-15 and Su-27 at least. Seems like a lot of the work is done already.

It is easy mode if you can get close up but gets really fun in a situation where you have two Su-27s fighting each other because it turns into an almost biplane level of dogfighting where constantly shifting split second maneuvering decisions are made until someone crashes or gets shot down. There's less of a commitment to the moves you make and a lot more room for improvisation while with planes like the Mig-21 you have to sort of plan five steps ahead in case your gambit doesn't pay off. Also instead of getting locked in a horizontal turn that is common in many close up dogfights where you are looking over your shoulder at the each other, here the planes can move in a way that allows these really wide and controllable flatspins where at many times both planes can have their guns pointed at each other while. It's like some Matrix/Anime level of dueling that is totally absurd and I haven't seen it available in any other serious flight game.

That aside, I think the Mig-21 is the best thing that's happened to DCS since helicopters and I'm really glad they added it. I think we're going to see a lot of WWII stuff in the next couple years and that's neat but I honestly feel like it's kind of a waste of effort and would rather see more of a focus on carrier based planes because right now the only plane I can think of that takes advantage of this is the Su-33 and it hasn't been updated like the Su-27.

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

Snaxx posted:

I use Iron's x52 profile for all modules and just map each new plane as I learn within DCS itself. I avoid using Saitek's profiler whenever possible.

Are their any decent X55 profiles Ive used Shens A10 but did like it all that much are their any more out there.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Thief posted:

It is easy mode if you can get close up but gets really fun in a situation where you have two Su-27s fighting each other because it turns into an almost biplane level of dogfighting where constantly shifting split second maneuvering decisions are made until someone crashes or gets shot down. There's less of a commitment to the moves you make and a lot more room for improvisation while with planes like the Mig-21 you have to sort of plan five steps ahead in case your gambit doesn't pay off. Also instead of getting locked in a horizontal turn that is common in many close up dogfights where you are looking over your shoulder at the each other, here the planes can move in a way that allows these really wide and controllable flatspins where at many times both planes can have their guns pointed at each other while. It's like some Matrix/Anime level of dueling that is totally absurd and I haven't seen it available in any other serious flight game.

That aside, I think the Mig-21 is the best thing that's happened to DCS since helicopters and I'm really glad they added it. I think we're going to see a lot of WWII stuff in the next couple years and that's neat but I honestly feel like it's kind of a waste of effort and would rather see more of a focus on carrier based planes because right now the only plane I can think of that takes advantage of this is the Su-33 and it hasn't been updated like the Su-27.

I like the Su-33 over the Su-27, flies more stable. Su-27 is twitchy as gently caress and I've had moments of adjusting 1-2 clicks on the trim and sending me spiraling into the ground. F-15 is stable as hell in the air, and as soon as you master the radar its hard as gently caress to take down. I do however like the EO modes in the Su-27/33 and Mig-29. Dinking around with the 29 is a blast, other than it has a pop can sized fuel tank.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Anyone who has waiting patiently like me, CH Products Fightersticks just went back into stock close to actual MSRP at $100 on Amazon, rather than the inflated "we have two and want to sell them to you for $200" or the delusional people on eBay. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B84X/

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

EpicPhoton posted:

Anyone who has waiting patiently like me, CH Products Fightersticks just went back into stock close to actual MSRP at $100 on Amazon, rather than the inflated "we have two and want to sell them to you for $200" or the delusional people on eBay. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B84X/

Am I reading this correctly, and this thing doesn't have a twist axis for the rudder, making pedals mandatory?

I'd be all over this, because that's looks like a real nice joystick, but I haven't quite ascended to rudder pedal levels of planesperg yet.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

edit: dumb

Reztes fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 31, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

Am I reading this correctly, and this thing doesn't have a twist axis for the rudder, making pedals mandatory?

I'd be all over this, because that's looks like a real nice joystick, but I haven't quite ascended to rudder pedal levels of planesperg yet.

None of the CH joysticks have a twist axis, but the fact that these things can probably survive a nuclear blast (and are also direclty modeled on F-16 sticks ) makes up for it in my eyes. I don't have pedals either so for WWII games, I'll just bind the Yaw to one of my CH Throttle's Hat switches.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 31, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I've had the CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals since like 2007 and I suspect they will outlive me. Love 'em.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
CH makes really good stuff.

CH makes really ugly stuff.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I'll vouch for CH gear too. I've got the pedals, and they're sturdier than my Warthog.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If one of "those people" ever breaks into my home I'm going to beat him with my CH Pedals. The ill-kept ruffian will break first.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ohsh has been running a 4v4 sabres vs migs pick-up server for the last couple of days around 1700EST.

It has been a blast and well worth the money I spent on sabre.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Ralith posted:

I'll vouch for CH gear too. I've got the pedals, and they're sturdier than my Warthog.

Probably sturdier than a literal A10

Ichbinuber
Feb 3, 2014

Probably sturdier than a literal A10

quote:

The A-10's airframe was designed for durability, with measures such as 1,200 pounds (540 kg) of ch gaming peripherals to protect the cockpit and aircraft systems, enabling it to absorb a significant amount of damage and continue flying.

Confirmed...

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Ohsh has been running a 4v4 sabres vs migs pick-up server for the last couple of days around 1700EST.

It has been a blast and well worth the money I spent on sabre.

Hi im probably doing this tonight again. No idea on times.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I wish the Mig hadn't been full price, I'll have to scrum for one of the Sabre slots :(

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

I wish the Mig hadn't been full price, I'll have to scrum for one of the Sabre slots :(

If i get more numbers i can always edit the mission.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
The CH stuff is nice, it doesn't have the stiffness that the Warthog does. Durability though, its goddamn near indestructible. If they ever put hall effect sensors in them, and stiffen the stick and throttle, it would rival a warthog. Its precise, fairly accurate, and it is nice. For that price I'm thinking of grabbing a stick and pro throttle just so I have a spare when the warthog shits the bed again.

Also the trim wheels are nice too, meaning you can use the 3rd hat for something else.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
7 pm est airgoons mumble 6 sabres (player) vs 4 respawning mig-15s (AI) if i see more than 6 people express interest in here i'll make sure to make the player slots bigger.

EDIT: I SAID 6PM I MEAN 7 PM

OhsH fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 1, 2015

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
No player slots for the MiGs?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

No player slots for the MiGs?

what side you want em on, big boi

gently caress it i'll throw 3 mig 15s on both sides playable

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
sure why not

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

thats basically the only decent reason

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They don't have IFF though.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Skoll posted:

They don't have IFF though.

In the infamous words of Vilerat, gently caress goons, shoot blues

Wh1plash fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 3, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This saturday, Falcon at 4pm EST as usual.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Vahakyla posted:

I'll be there if my X55 arrives in time

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I might show up. Have to redo my HOTAS again and it's getting to be a pain in the dick.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Tonight 7 pm est air goons sabre/huey to nite.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

I am practicing with falcon so i will be less of a needy babby this time :shobon:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just got the tracking number and I am not getting the X55 until Monday.

Guess I'll just marathon Disc 4 of Final Fantasy VIII on hitbox tomorrow instead.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So, I am interested in trying this. Is there anywhere I can get a copy of Falcon 4.0 for more reasonable a price than $40-$50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

high six posted:

So, I am interested in trying this. Is there anywhere I can get a copy of Falcon 4.0 for more reasonable a price than $40-$50?

See the wiki in the OP.