Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The proper spelling is "in medias res".
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

theroachman posted:

During my first DW session, I explained to my players that I was going to start the story in media res. One of the players went: "Ok, so what kind of town is Media Res?" Sadly, he was not kidding. It's been a running joke ever since.

Never heard the term Media Res before today, thanks for the heads up

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Cheap Shot posted:

I asked in the apocalypse world thread, but I'd love to pick dungeon worlders brains on this as well. I'm publishing my own apoc engine game and I want to correct as many shortcomings as I can with user feedback. Here is a good place because my system is much more based off dungeon world than base apocalypse world. I'd love to know peoples opinions on late game characters so I can improve character longevity. (I've already taken quite a few steps, but I'd like to refine them)

What is the question?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Siivola posted:

The proper spelling is "in medias res".
:goonsay:

The more you know...

Cheap Shot posted:

I asked in the apocalypse world thread, but I'd love to pick dungeon worlders brains on this as well. I'm publishing my own apoc engine game and I want to correct as many shortcomings as I can with user feedback. Here is a good place because my system is much more based off dungeon world than base apocalypse world. I'd love to know peoples opinions on late game characters so I can improve character longevity. (I've already taken quite a few steps, but I'd like to refine them)

Well? Out with it!

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I guess there wasn't a question mark! :doh: What are peoples opinions on current DW late game characters and progression in general? Just looking for thoughts or critiques on what might improve late game.

I've done some balancing and added some systems to fight late game stagnation. I've slowed and limited stat gain to keep things challenging and keep the element of failure around. I find failed rolls are fun and important to the narrative. I've added greater control over character progression. Each of the 6 starting classes have 3 variants that focus on different play-styles. After level 4 you can begin taking moves from other classes or other variants of your own class. Compendium classes are also available.

Also mutation though radiation exposure gives you new moves at levels 1, 5 and 10, but they get progressively more severe. By level 10 they're a mixture of harmful and beneficial. If you don't find a way in game to halt or reverse mutation before level 20, you Kronenburg.

I think that might be enough, but I'd like other peoples feedback on the late game and character progression in general so I can adjust the approach I'm taking if I need to.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Any 2d6 system is going to have a smaller progression than a d20 or 3d8 system; that's just how numbers work. You add +1, then +1 foreword, and you're already nearing system max.

You could do what Monster of the Week does and have 12+ be Mega Success.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Golden Bee posted:

Any 2d6 system is going to have a smaller progression than a d20 or 3d8 system; that's just how numbers work. You add +1, then +1 foreword, and you're already nearing system max.

A lot of Dungeon World playbooks do that too, its a great way to to represent someone having a real mastery of their abilities, its a better alternative than an advanced move getting you bigger bonuses or numbers.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I'm running Dungeon World (Inverse World to be precise), and while it's a blast, this question's actually right up my alley, as I've got two major complaints. First: leveling up happens a lot faster than I'd expected, so I'm maybe halfway through the game ideas/Fronts and the party's level 6-7. In addition, if a player's better at making Bonds, sniffing out ways to apply their Drive, or just has a broader Drive than most, they'll level up way faster than the rest of the party.

In addition, you should be extremely careful with even +1 Forwards, let alone permanent +1s to certain actions. As stated, a total of +2 alone means you're close to the statistical average of your roll being success with flying colors. One of my players, a Mage, rolls +4 to Cast a Spell using his Focus, with no downside on 12+, and I made his Focus pretty broad on accident. In practice, this means he almost never has a major downside to his spells, and has to roll snake eyes to fail. The 12+ move on its own is a fine "you're super rad" incentive, the huge bonus to roll is the problem.

Another thing is that you might want to avoid making a single stat The Most Important Thing for a playbook. Give them two or even three common stats to roll with, to encourage more failures without necessarily making it impossible to be good (or passable) at all your playbook's wheelhouses. If all your rolls are in a single stat, all you need is a few advances in that single stat to make everything you do relatively risk-proof, and therefore boring.

I backed Broken World, and I look forward to seeing how it comes out. Your design philosophy seems to mesh with how I feel about *Worlds so far so this got me hype for it again :3:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Golden Bee posted:

That's excellent actually, thank you. :)

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Daeren posted:

Another thing is that you might want to avoid making a single stat The Most Important Thing for a playbook. Give them two or even three common stats to roll with, to encourage more failures without necessarily making it impossible to be good (or passable) at all your playbook's wheelhouses. If all your rolls are in a single stat, all you need is a few advances in that single stat to make everything you do relatively risk-proof, and therefore boring.

My party has the tendency to use the +2 CHA Paladin for social interactions, the +2 DEX thief for stealthy/dangerous scenes, etc. I split up the party, give them less time to plan, and generally put them in situations where they have to do basic moves with their 'bad' stats, which results in a way more interesting puzzle to solve. This is a direct application to the GM move "show a downside to their class".

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Daeren posted:

I'm running Dungeon World (Inverse World to be precise), and while it's a blast, this question's actually right up my alley, as I've got two major complaints. First: leveling up happens a lot faster than I'd expected, so I'm maybe halfway through the game ideas/Fronts and the party's level 6-7. In addition, if a player's better at making Bonds, sniffing out ways to apply their Drive, or just has a broader Drive than most, they'll level up way faster than the rest of the party.

In addition, you should be extremely careful with even +1 Forwards, let alone permanent +1s to certain actions. As stated, a total of +2 alone means you're close to the statistical average of your roll being success with flying colors. One of my players, a Mage, rolls +4 to Cast a Spell using his Focus, with no downside on 12+, and I made his Focus pretty broad on accident. In practice, this means he almost never has a major downside to his spells, and has to roll snake eyes to fail. The 12+ move on its own is a fine "you're super rad" incentive, the huge bonus to roll is the problem.

I backed Broken World, and I look forward to seeing how it comes out. Your design philosophy seems to mesh with how I feel about *Worlds so far so this got me hype for it again :3:

Awesome, thanks for this too. Appreciate the insight. Making sure bonuses don't make it impossible to fail is a huge concern for me. The element of failure is so important to keep. I also found too many bonuses were annoying for players to keep track of as well. And yeah, I agree whole heartedly with the single stat thing. I'm really addressing that in the current revision. I want to give people a hard time assigning their stat scores :devil:

Thanks for backing! I aim to live up to that hype

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Okay, I think my issue is that I can't strike a balance between prep and improvisation. How do I strike a good balance of player choice and having decent content without everything being lovely and half assed. Please, mighty DW GMs, help me ruin a good campaign!

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Wapole Languray posted:

Please, mighty DW GMs, help me ruin a good campaign!

Surprisingly appropriate typo.

No seriously. Did your players tell you they feel everything is lovely and half-assed? Or is that your own opinion? Because I, for one, suffer from a terrible need to self-criticize until I feel like I am a bad GM. Then I ask my players and they tell me they loved every second of it. You might have the same thing going on here.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

theroachman posted:

Surprisingly appropriate typo.

No seriously. Did your players tell you they feel everything is lovely and half-assed? Or is that your own opinion? Because I, for one, suffer from a terrible need to self-criticize until I feel like I am a bad GM. Then I ask my players and they tell me they loved every second of it. You might have the same thing going on here.

No, I'm legit uncomfortable with how the game plays, I love the idea, but keep finding myself trying to use DW tho play D&D, calling for rolls instead of letting narrative flow, etc. Also, how do I keep Druids room just turning into elephants and trampling all their problems to death if a fight? How do I builds decent encounters? How do I handle the flow of combat without basically taking turns? How do I not suck?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Wapole Languray posted:

Also, how do I keep Druids room just turning into elephants and trampling all their problems to death if a fight?

Easy. The goblin shaman summons a mouse.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Wapole Languray posted:

No, I'm legit uncomfortable with how the game plays, I love the idea, but keep finding myself trying to use DW tho play D&D, calling for rolls instead of letting narrative flow, etc. Also, how do I keep Druids room just turning into elephants and trampling all their problems to death if a fight? How do I builds decent encounters? How do I handle the flow of combat without basically taking turns? How do I not suck?

Ditching the D&D tropes is one of the harder things for some players to do, but something you will figure out as you realize they are thing that would have made you D&D games better. My favorite example is the Climb check: in D&D you have to roll to climb, but a failure just means try again until you get it right. typically the consequences are anything but consequential, wherein there is often no penalty at all. With Dw you will need to ask yourself more often, do we need to roll for this? There are only two times I can think of the answer being yes.

One: missing the roll will result in something interesting happening. No damage is not interesting! you've probably seen in D&D 4E games where players take damage outside combat, like from a trap, and the bard or cleric heals it with no real penalty. Damaging players in a way that will not make a significant difference is a waste of time. think dangerously in these cases, it is on your GM agenda. When the trap triggers, don't just dish damage, not only is it not interesting, but really makes no difference in elfgames. Instead, look to your GM mores for things like use up their resources or separate them, these are far more devastating to the group and make things more interesting.

Two: Is there a serious danger that requires they roll. Technically, I can just roll this into the first one and say there is only ONE reason to roll, but I already said there were two, so I'll just reinforce my statement. In one of my first games, there was a chest in a room full of guards the thief wanted. So they just stormed the room and, with the inevitable death of the fighter, killed everything. Afterwards, for some reason I had the thief roll to open the locked chest. To this day I have no idea why. She failed and I just gave it to her in the end. In hindsight I could have had her run out of time and have more grunts storm the room, but the fighter was dead and that was a death sentence. Today, had I done that, I now know I can just tell my players they need to run for their lives. All the same, I learned a lesson about pointless rolling.

Re: Druids killing stuff. One of your GM moves is to point out a drawback of their class. Maybe the enemies exploit the elephant's size, maybe you are in a cramped dungeon and the elephant wont fit. As Lichtenstein said, introduce something that is the bane of what the druid has turned into. I play a druid and I like turning into a moose. Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti... Narrow doors and sweltering environments are my bane.

Re: building encounters. There are going to be a lot of ideas about building encounters, but when it comes down to it, how you control the enemies is going to determine how hard or easy the fight is. You are GM, you have all narrative control. I generally make up a monster in my head and write the most basic stuff about it. Then I ask one of the players about it, usually someone who has not contributed much yet. Naturally the Bard will chime in too, it is just what he does... While they fight it, i slowly work on the monster. every time they miss, I think of something the monster would do if given the chance, write it down, then do it to them! It works with groups of goons too. I had a group of guardsmen fighting my players and as the players charged in and killed half in one swoop, I described the guard getting their poo poo together and making a phalanx with their shields. After that, the remaining few were harder to kill, working in teams to prone the players while defending with shields.

Re: flow of combat, when I start a fight I group my players off how they decided to position themselves and I decide who is attacking who. Each engagement is a narrative that may bleed into the others. Choose one or two players to hit with the initial attack. When they react, tell them how their choice left the others open to attack (on a 7-9, naturally) and switch to them. You do not want to assign turns, but you should address the players one or two at a time, based on how they are paired off against the enemy. Naturally, if one person flubs a roll, make the consequence fall on someone else, or just flat our ask a different player what they do to save their failing friend. Again, if the players are mopping the floor with the goons, you have two choices, let them, and make them feel super cool (only to knock them down later on) or change up the fight; make them fight harder, reinforcements show up, or the environment changes in some way.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Okay so to be more specific: My base adventure as above is simple: Go to an island where in the center is a stash of PIRATE TREASURE! But to get it, you have to go through a few miles of dangerous wilderness. In my original idea this would be a swamp-full of Lizardmen and Ekek with a Bakunawa Boss-fight at the ruined temple in the center of the Island. How much of this should I have established ahead of time/planned out?

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
What you have right now. That's all, plus you monster stat cards to save time. If you really want to get detailed you can write out the boss as a front. Everything else, listen to your players. Ask them questions abut the island and use those answers. if someone says that the island was once the home of a fire elemental king, now all your lizard men should be salamanders. Hey, your player did it, not you.

What you want to have is an idea for a starting scene, res media I have learned it is called. Brainstorm a few ideas of things that could detour or slow them down, you will use this as ammo. Then come up with a vague idea of the treasure and what happens if the bad guys win. Let most of it evolve naturally. The important part is, when you ask the players something, they are going to make the adventure exactly into what they want it to be.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Another thing to remember is to use the fiction. If your druid turns into an elephant, that doesn't just mean he's a druid with a 'trample people' move: it means he's a big loving elephant and things that he used to be able to do without any difficulty are now difficult or impossible. He can't turn around quickly, he can't fit through small gaps, he'll set off any traps he goes anywhere near, and if he tries to attack someone who's already in melee with his friends then they're both getting squished unless his mate makes a Defy Danger roll.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Thanks for the advice. I'll start trying to stick to using the GM moves to guide my actions, and work on being more free form and narrative. I've also reread the GM section, and believe that making an Adventure Front for my first "intro adventure" may help the transition into a more freeform style of gameplay, as most of my players are also D&D alumni. Here's the Adventure Front (I believe I did this right) I've worked out: how does it look? This is just supposed to be a short adventure to help ease the players into the game proper, while also providing plot-hooks in the future. "The Miasma" is the only Campaign thing I'm going with, and it's something I really want to work into the world as a whole. It's flexible enough that I think they wouldn't mind? What do you guys think?

Front: Treasure of the Serpent Temple

Dangers

The Cult of the Serpent-God
Impulse: To regain lost glory

Grim Portents
The Bakunawa Enters the Temple
The Bakunawa is Corrupted by Miasma
The Cult Spreads through the World
Impending Doom: Usurpation

The Blackfang Clan
Impulse: To gain unfathomable power

Grim Portents
The Blackfang go to War with the Cult
Vordax gains Entrance to the Temple
Vordax is Corrupted by Miasma
The Blackfang go Forth to Conquer and Enslave
Impending Doom: Tyranny

The Miasma
Impulse: To corrupt and empower

Grim Portents
The Black Fog Spreads from the Temple
The Island is Corrupted
The Fog continues to Spread
Impending Doom: Rampant Chaos

Description and Cast
This ancient island was once home to a great temple to an ancient Serpent-God, worshipped by the native Lizardmen, but has more recently been used as a treasure depository by Torchbeard, a vicious pirate. The Temple contains a dark Power than will twist and corrupt all exposed to it if accessed. A young Dragon and his clan of Kobold servants have occupied the nearby forests and seek to gain access to the power of the Temple and overthrow the native Serpent Cult.

Toltak, Chief of the Lizardmen
Vorthrax, Prince of the Blackfang
Zrin Scalebearer, Chief of the Blackfang
The Miasma

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Something to note about Grim Portents is that they should be something that happens on-screen. They're not something that happens without the players knowing about it. Even if that simply requires rewording, say, "Vordax gains entrance to the temple" to "the party hear the temple gates being dragged aside to chants of "Vordax! Vordax!"

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
By the way someone should make an app for the Monster Compendium (preferably for the android).

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Doodmons posted:

Something to note about Grim Portents is that they should be something that happens on-screen. They're not something that happens without the players knowing about it. Even if that simply requires rewording, say, "Vordax gains entrance to the temple" to "the party hear the temple gates being dragged aside to chants of "Vordax! Vordax!"

Oh don't worry, they'll know, mainly because either actually going for the temple would basically result in a Kobold/Lizardmen War breaking out, which the players may be either caught in the middle or on one side of.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Doodmons posted:

This. There are basically two purposes to Grim Portents. First, they are ways to add urgency to the players' actions: if they stop to rest or have a long argument or get distracted, the GP reminds them that things are getting worse while they prevaricate. Second, they draw PCs back into the plot. If they're bumbling around not knowing what to do and something big and obvious and bad happens, that's a cue to them to go figure out what's causing it.

So what's crucial to understand is that the grim portents aren't causal steps in the antagonist's scheme; they're the symptoms of that scheme which alert the PCs into getting involved.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is the Pariah class in the list on the first page complete? It looks really cool but it doesn't seem to have any advanced moves.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Is the Pariah class in the list on the first page complete? It looks really cool but it doesn't seem to have any advanced moves.

The author never completed the advanced moves for that one.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I'm way behind on this thread, but was that big book o' moves every published? I'm doing some Playbook/Class hacking and I'm looking for inspiration beyond combing through a mountain of published and/or half-assed playbooks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm way behind on this thread, but was that big book o' moves every published? I'm doing some Playbook/Class hacking and I'm looking for inspiration beyond combing through a mountain of published and/or half-assed playbooks.

Yes.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
I'm currently a couple session in to a new campaign, with my players being Aang the Elementalist, Grok the Brute, Otto the Medic, Royce the Mage, Vi the Sky Dancer, and Sarah the Princess. Right now, they are in the ancient catacombs beneath the Air Temple, exploring the chambers cut off of the main passageway by long forgotten monks in search of answers to why one of the current day monks has been murdered. Having fought their way through a number of somewhat psionic, energy and magic absorbing crystalline men, they discovered the site of the murder, a hidden chapel built by heretical worshipers of Falcor, god of Luck. Within, some sort of mechanical and alchemical device to bend luck in your favor was found to have been recently re-activated, though they decided to topple it onto one of the crystal men before they had time to learn much of anything about it, destroying it in the process.

Now that they've destroyed a luck-creating artifact, I'm looking for interesting ways to represent them being unlucky. When the initial explosion happened, I had the people in the room take some debilities, but I'm looking for something a little more long term. One option I'm considering is using the Luck stat that Funnel World has as an optional rule, but it still feels like there is probably a more creative way to go about it. Has anyone used something similar, or have an alternate idea on what might happen to them as a result of this?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

FromTheShire posted:

I'm currently a couple session in to a new campaign, with my players being Aang the Elementalist, Grok the Brute, Otto the Medic, Royce the Mage, Vi the Sky Dancer, and Sarah the Princess. Right now, they are in the ancient catacombs beneath the Air Temple, exploring the chambers cut off of the main passageway by long forgotten monks in search of answers to why one of the current day monks has been murdered. Having fought their way through a number of somewhat psionic, energy and magic absorbing crystalline men, they discovered the site of the murder, a hidden chapel built by heretical worshipers of Falcor, god of Luck. Within, some sort of mechanical and alchemical device to bend luck in your favor was found to have been recently re-activated, though they decided to topple it onto one of the crystal men before they had time to learn much of anything about it, destroying it in the process.

Now that they've destroyed a luck-creating artifact, I'm looking for interesting ways to represent them being unlucky. When the initial explosion happened, I had the people in the room take some debilities, but I'm looking for something a little more long term. One option I'm considering is using the Luck stat that Funnel World has as an optional rule, but it still feels like there is probably a more creative way to go about it. Has anyone used something similar, or have an alternate idea on what might happen to them as a result of this?

Describe your GM moves as super contrived accidents of happenstance. Someone botches an attack? Instead of describing their failure as their own failure or the strength of the enemy overcoming them, describe it as something like "a wheel rolls in front of you while you're charging and you trip!" or "You swing at the orc, but your blade catches in literally the only piece of armor the orc is wearing, and even worse - your sword got stuck in the metal!" Have things inexplicably fall apart, or go wrong in ways that they should be safe from, and make crazy coincidences the order of the day for a while.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
So Awful Good Games released The Oni playbook yesterday, which I am excited for as I was a contributor to this playbook. Unfortunately it comes a day too late for me to use it in the Slayers style DW game that just ended applications on the 1st. However, it still look pretty cool and has kind of a stealthy-bashy kind of feel to it. Check it out, I'm dying to play it in a game!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Teonis posted:

So Awful Good Games released The Oni playbook yesterday, which I am excited for as I was a contributor to this playbook. Unfortunately it comes a day too late for me to use it in the Slayers style DW game that just ended applications on the 1st. However, it still look pretty cool and has kind of a stealthy-bashy kind of feel to it. Check it out, I'm dying to play it in a game!

Oh man, that looks cool, but I swore I'd never buy anything that dude makes.

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!

gnome7 posted:

Describe your GM moves as super contrived accidents of happenstance. Someone botches an attack? Instead of describing their failure as their own failure or the strength of the enemy overcoming them, describe it as something like "a wheel rolls in front of you while you're charging and you trip!" or "You swing at the orc, but your blade catches in literally the only piece of armor the orc is wearing, and even worse - your sword got stuck in the metal!" Have things inexplicably fall apart, or go wrong in ways that they should be safe from, and make crazy coincidences the order of the day for a while.

You don't necessarily have to limit this to failures either. One idea could be that some sort of bad luck manifests every time doubles are rolled on a move. Your choice of a bad luck manifestation could be totally fictional (as described by Gnome7) or it could a negative outcome added on top of the move result. You might add a soft move on top of a success (10+), add an additional soft move or change it to a hard move on a partial success (7-9), and add a soft move on top of your hard move for a failure (6-).

Examples:

Ranger: I rolled double 6's for a 13 on my Volley.
GM: The arrow passes through the Orc's neck killing him instantly; however, your missile deflects off a sconce knocking the torch into the nearby tapestry, which immediately erupts in a blaze. What bad luck...

Fighter: I rolled double 3's for an 8 on Hack and Slash.
GM: You slash the Orc across the mid-section. Roll damage.
Fighter: I do 10 points.
GM: As you complete your swing and leave a hemorrhaging wound across his stomach, the green skin hammers you with a mighty counterstrike from his maul - take d10+3 ignoring armor. As the great weapon connects, you hear the tinkle of shattering glass and feel a wetness at your back. Didn't you have a vial of alchemist's fire in your pack? What bad luck...

Wizard: I rolled double 1's for a 4 with my Magic Missile.
GM: The bolt of force leaves your hands, completely misses the approaching guard, and slams into the ground near the Barbarian, knocking him off his feet. The brute lets go of the chain and the portcullis crashes to the ground, with the Cleric and Thief trapped on the other side.
Barbarian: I jump to my feet and start pulling the chain again.
GM: You pull with all your might, but it looks like the quick descent of the portcullis has caused it to jam in the track. What bad luck...

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Oh man, that looks cool, but I swore I'd never buy anything that dude makes.

Yeah, I know David Gull and Gnome7 have a long running spat, rooted in misunderstanding and stubbornness. Luckily, I didn't have to pay for it, as a contributor he gave it to me.

Ps, Error, if Rory reachest level 10, I'm going to canger class to oni to reflect his godhood.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 3, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
E: opinion/ rant removed!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 3, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Teonis posted:

Yeah, I know David Gull and Gnome7 have a long running spat, rooted in misunderstanding and stubbornness.
It's not even that, dude's a pretty vocal gamergater and generally a raging shitlord. Other than promoing his stuff he pretty much only rants about the evil sjws. It's why he gets zero of my dollars.
His twitter: https://twitter.com/antiochcow?s=09

quote:

Ps, Error, if Rory reachest level 10, I'm going to canger class to oni to reflect his godhood.

This should be pretty fuckin epic though. :getin:

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 3, 2015

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Error 404 posted:

It's not even that, dude's a pretty vocal gamergater and generally a raging shitlord. Other than promoing his stuff he pretty much only rants about the evil sjws. It's why he gets zero of my dollars.

Yeah, I don't read any of his stuf thats not DW playbook related. There are a lot of good writers who are total assholes, but that doesn't mean their art is bad. His playbooks are pretty cool, so I just ignore the crap posts and stick with the good.
But like you, I don't pay for anything.

The only playbook I ever bought was gnome7's Witch, your welcome

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Teonis posted:

Yeah, I know David Gull and Gnome7 have a long running spat, rooted in misunderstanding and stubbornness. Luckily, I didn't have to pay for it, as a contributor he gave it to me.

I don't know why his beef with me started, but it ain't misunderstanding or stubborness that makes me mad with the guy. It's mostly this stuff:

Error 404 posted:

I mean, he also has some kind of beef with me personally, what with having written 5ish negative reviews on Inverse World, which is way more reviews than any one thing really warrants, and then he published two things on DTRPG with identical names to mine. While it makes me feel bad, that's mostly whatever, though. People don't have to like the things I like and are entitled to their opinions on 'em.

It's the part where he goes on to say things like I'm an entitled baby and he regularly uses SJW as a perjorative against me and a bunch of other people that makes him awful. When someone tried to defend me in a reasonable manner on his website that didn't get their post immediately deleted, his reply called me a "whiny bitch who can't handle the real world."

So gently caress that guy.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 3, 2015

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

gnome7 posted:

I don't know why his beef with me started, but it ain't misunderstanding or stubborness that makes me mad with the guy. It's mostly this stuff:

I mean, he also has some kind of beef with me personally, what with having written 5ish negative reviews on Inverse World, which is way more reviews than any one thing really warrants, and then he published two things on DTRPG with identical names to mine. While it makes me feel bad, that's mostly whatever, though. People don't have to like the things I like and are entitled to their opinions on 'em.

It's the part where he goes on to say things like I'm an entitled baby and he regularly uses SJW as a perjorative against me and a bunch of other people that makes him awful. When someone tried to defend me in a reasonable manner on his website that didn't get their post immediately deleted, his reply called me a "whiny bitch who can't handle the real world."

So gently caress that guy.

Precisely why I ignore all his posts that are not playbooks. I don't care about or understand his stance on gaming, I'm not saying he is right at all. I got a free playbook I thought was cool and I wanted to share it.

Regarding him being a douche to you, who cares. It's the internet, people are going to hate you just for being on it! Maybe he shouldn't have been so vehement about Inverse World, Honestly, I don't even play it. He's got his opinion and you'll either agree or disagree with it. On the other hand, maybe it's not a big flipping deal that he named a class the same generic name you did. There are 4 drat shaman playbooks out there. probably more. I don't think anyone has ever mistaken one Witch for the other, considering the swanky artwork you always have. And I really love the Witch, thank you for writing it, I also love the Oni. Do I think that makes his witch any worse, dunno, I haven't played it.

In summary: Who cares! This is the internet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Look guys, just buy the thing and give this guy money! It's the internet, nothing is real! We all live in a land of ghosts and fog so get every playbook possible!