Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't know if it was just from the way he was lying down but it sure looked like they took way too much of Silver's leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

Don't know if it was just from the way he was lying down but it sure looked like they took way too much of Silver's leg.

Depends on the damage, i knew a guy who hosed his leg up in the middle of his shin, but it was effectively just meat soup below the knee. They cut it off above the knee.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's probably going to be below the knee, because that's the simplest way to do a peg leg on TV.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Long John Silver missing leg was always pretty high up. Look at google images for the old book related artwork.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, the book says near the hip.

Faking an entire missing leg for 13 episodes a season could be tough though. I wouldn't be surprised if they go with something simpler.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
RACKHAM UP

KNOCK 'EM DOWN

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Kesper North posted:

RACKHAM UP

KNOCK 'EM DOWN

Flint and Vane-a-mania will most likely be running wild all over Rackham and Bonny next season, brother. That little furious twitch in Flint's eyes as Silver is explaining the betrayal to him was just terrifying.

Black Sails Season 3: Buckets of Blood

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Tighclops posted:

The Flint/Vane team up was everything I'd hoped

When they go rescue Miss Guthrie the three of them can do the "Eiffel Tower" 'cept Flint will have to be the horizontal component. 'Cause, well, ya know.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If the universe is going to deny me Ray Stevenson as Victarion in Game of Thrones, Ray Stevenson as Blackbeard in Black Sails is a pretty decent alternative.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
That episode definitely gave me "Spartacus and Crixus finally team up" vibes.. This show can be a bit slow paced at times but when poo poo happens it can be Spartacus level awesome (the highest level of awesome).

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
"What's the target, Captain?"
"Whatever's left."

:black101: :tviv: :black101:

Holy motherfucking goddamn what a finale.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 29, 2015

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
As I said earlier, I hope the next season will be paced better, i.e. without that lull in the middle.

That said, this was rather nice.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That was a great payoff. I wonder if that's just Eleanor written off the show?

Already amped for next season, hopefully we get all the pirate crews united under a Flint/Vane leadership.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That was an amazing season finale. Especially the montage at the end that jumped between Silver's surgery and the city getting loving obliterated. This episode must have been like 80% of the VFX budget for the season because it looked goddamn amazing. :3:

CODChimera posted:

I wonder if that's just Eleanor written off the show?

I don't see why it wouldn't, her arc is pretty much done with Vane getting over her, the father being dead and Max ascending to take her place.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The only thing missing there was Flint and Vane running and jumping in slow motion off a dock just ahead of a giant fiery explosion at their backs, for a true signature Michael Bay touch.

Well that and maybe having them jump through the air while dual wielding muskets and somehow rapid firing them, John Woo style.

But I was well pleased.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Black Sails S3: Would You Like To See Something Shiny

Incredible finale to a great season. I didn't mind the slow episodes but the call back to the Man O'War destroying the ship in Season One, this time destroying a loving town was awesome. Vane is the man, I'm really looking forward to "Nothing to live for, 100% Pirate" Flint.

Blackbeard sounds fantastic, can't wait until he shows up. Too hard to wait another year for more of this awesomeness.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
And with that finale, Black Sails moved up into my favourite show on TV at the moment, displacing Game of Thrones and Better Call Saul. That was genuine, pure entertainment, and it easily made me forgive every misstep the show has made.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
How is the show doing ratings wise? It would be a travesty if the show got canceled before it told its whole story.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Flint must really be on a rampage if he got rid of the man-bun for season 3.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Senjuro posted:

How is the show doing ratings wise? It would be a travesty if the show got canceled before it told its whole story.

I can't find anything at all that says anything about its ratings, probably cause it was already renewed for season 3.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Holy poo poo what a finale. The entire episode was one awesome moment after another.

I was hoping Jack would join that badass pirate alliance that was just formed though it's not looking good for him now. Well, other than being insanely rich of course.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Can't tell if Flint is going to be happy or furious that the Walrus is back.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Deakul posted:

I can't find anything at all that says anything about its ratings, probably cause it was already renewed for season 3.

Best I can find says that ratings have been "steady" and the season 2 debut did as well as season 1.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
:vince: That finale was everything. I am so glad we finally get a peg-leg, too.

My only complaint about this season was that there wasn't nearly enough shirtless Flint.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
If the opening scene for Silver next season isn't a peg stamping the deck for News of the Day, I will be very disappointed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Tokubetsu posted:

Yeah I don't get why everyone hates her. She puts things in motions and they happen! Silver is close second but his skills are more in the "quick to adapt" side of things than actual scheming.

She's a good character. I just don't like the character.

Kinda fits in the Tywin Lannister mold where he's an awesome character that I love to hate

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Mouse Dresser posted:

:vince: That finale was everything. I am so glad we finally get a peg-leg, too.

My only complaint about this season was that there wasn't nearly enough shirtless Flint.

Never take off the coat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

That was an amazing season finale. Especially the montage at the end that jumped between Silver's surgery and the city getting loving obliterated. This episode must have been like 80% of the VFX budget for the season because it looked goddamn amazing. :3:

I don't see why it wouldn't, her arc is pretty much done with Vane getting over her, the father being dead and Max ascending to take her place.

She's the #2 credit on the show, I doubt they would write her off offscreen. If she doesn't get rescued I'm sure we'll see a trial or something with her.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Never take off the coat.

He can leave the coat on, with no shirt underneath. I'm not picky. :pervert:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Aphrodite posted:

She's the #2 credit on the show, I doubt they would write her off offscreen. If she doesn't get rescued I'm sure we'll see a trial or something with her.

She could make a nice prisoner for the S4 English big bad Captain to interrogate throughout Season 3 while the Pirates of Nassau are loving around with BlackBeard. Then come the end of Season 3 the guy that's been messing with her in England rolls into the Caribbean with a bunch of warships and her body tied to the bow of the lead one.

Not that I imagine a lot of people care what happens to her but I think she's going to be used to help establish a new bad guy in some form. Alternately it could be kind of awesome to see her do a character change off screen and decide "gently caress those pirates, I'm going to convince everyone in England that my dad was to blame, seduce some English major and use his influence to sail back to Nassau and get my revenge."

There are some options for her character beyond just being written off the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flint destroying Charleston and Rackham getting the Urca gold kind of puts Nassau on everyone's poo poo list.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Aphrodite posted:

I like how the sword "fights" in this are typically just one dodged or parried swing and the kill.

I don't know if that's any more realistic than the usual pirate back and forth but it sure makes Flint look like a badass cutting down Ashe's guards in a second.

I read somewhere that some historians had estimated the average duration of a melee in the middle ages to be in the order of about 5 seconds length, so I think sword fights being short and brutal is actually realistic.

Extended melees of unit-level formations and such would be more caused by there being weapons with reach plus a lot of shoving and throwing poo poo at each other rather than the typical Hollywood near free for all brawl.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

So loving good when they get to blow their budget load over a couple of episodes. I'm hoping the ratings will go up and Starz just starts making GBS threads money at it. Been a very good show so far.

Flint and Vane make pirates look mean as poo poo but oh so pretty too.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I liked the way they choreographed and shot the escape of Vane and Flint. It felt like they were staggering forward, falling on top of guys, grabbing anything within reach and just pushing forward, rather than something that was planned. It's hard to pull off a planned scene that's intended to feel improvised!

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Dreylad posted:

I liked the way they choreographed and shot the escape of Vane and Flint. It felt like they were staggering forward, falling on top of guys, grabbing anything within reach and just pushing forward, rather than something that was planned. It's hard to pull off a planned scene that's intended to feel improvised!

The guy who plays Vane (and the guy who plays Billy, for that matter) are such EXCELLENT fighters. They sell it all so well and so thoroughly that you really think they're getting hurt.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Flint destroying Charleston and Rackham getting the Urca gold kind of puts Nassau on everyone's poo poo list.

That was my thoughts at the end of the season too - they may have been a bit of a nuisance before, or a monster under the bed, but they're really going to be public enemy number one after Charleston! Especially Flint and Vane actually, maybe that's why Vane was so keen to go along with the rescue, even if he's not Flint's biggest fan - for the infamy if he succeeded

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I am so pumped for Blackbeard now

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Invalid Validation posted:

So loving good when they get to blow their budget load over a couple of episodes. I'm hoping the ratings will go up and Starz just starts making GBS threads money at it. Been a very good show so far.

Starz has been spending a ton on the show since before they shot the first episode. It's a very expensive production. From what I gather, the network is very happy with the ratings, too. The VFX budget for S3, I've heard, will be about 60% higher than it was for S2.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Starz has been spending a ton on the show since before they shot the first episode. It's a very expensive production. From what I gather, the network is very happy with the ratings, too. The VFX budget for S3, I've heard, will be about 60% higher than it was for S2.

Anticipating a lot of ship action. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I rewatched the last two episodes with my brother and his missus tonight.

Total shock when Lady Hamilton was masterfully shot in the head. My brother was punching the air when Vane said he was going to rescue Flint.
He goes "Vanes crew are totally the SAS/SBS"

• Locked thread