Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Quantumfate posted:

I just finished this zone, and I want to report back in on my progress. Turns out there aren't any freedom of action potions you can buy before the cloakwood. The two handed sword isn't on the first map either, it's after you get through all the web traps :shepface: I don't have any 2h fighters, and I guess I don't need it anymore to deal with the webs. I'll probably just sell the sword. My thief was also worthless and either unable to see the webs or unable to disarm them. I wound up throwing an invisibility potion on Rasaad, having him down a magic resist potion, and triggered a four or so, before I didn't have any resist potions left. There were still three or so other web traps, so I sent Coran in to trigger them with his stupendous AC. Web lasts far too long, what an abysmal zone.

You should be able to buy Freedom Potions in High Hedge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

fong posted:

haha you made me do some reading around on this. In the original BG she mentions that she was the lover of "Jon Icarus" but he cursed her. A bunch of people were saying that Jon Icarus was his name in the early drafts but I didnt see them link to a source for that. It sounds believable to me, they foreshadowed BG2 in a bunch of other ways too

I remember charming her and talking to her in BG1 when it was new and then thinking Irenicus was the same guy when you met him in BG2. I guess I'd forgotten by then that it was Icarus that she said. I was so impressed that they'd left the groundwork there!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Milky Moor posted:

As far as canon goes, it seems clear to me that the canon BG2 group is Charname, Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Viconia and Yoshimo. Yoshimo is replaced by Imoen during Spellhold. Otherwise, Yoshimo literally just falls over dead in the Copper Coronet for no apparent reason the next time you go back there.
Yoshimo is under Irenicus' Geas spell. I think it makes sense that if he fails to tag along with the party and poison the PC, he's considered to have failed his mission and the spell activates and kills him.

Deaderinred posted:

in the original he had a different name that just looked like a badly spelt irenicus that kinda brought it into question whether it was him or not if i remember right but then text updates and modders "fixed" it and went out of their way to make her version of events play well with the plot of bg2. loving weird.
I didn't like the fact that they altered the name to Irenicus. My guess is that this was an early version of Irenicus since his name was different and Centeol's story contradicted the backstory of Irenicus in BG2. For this reason I think it would have been better to have left the name Jon Icarus and just pretended it was someone else. Interestingly, there is a vampire called Tanova that works under Bodhi so I guess Jon isn't the only element they lifted from that story. Here's what Centeol tells the PC if she's charmed in the original game by the way:

quote:

I can tell you of my curse, for that is all I remember anymore. I used to be beautiful and powerful. An exotic sorceress, with many powers at my command and suitors at my door. But I only had eyes for one man, Jon Icarus. He was a great and powerful wizard, the only man worthy of my affections, or so I thought. Though I lusted for Jon, he cared little for me, for he had another to whom he was married, lady Tanova. So I plotted and schemed, and finally came up with a plan to rid the world of Tanova. When the deed was done and Tanova lay dead, I was exultant, but not for long. Jon went mad with fury, and using his powerful magics, divined the identity of his wife's murderer. He arrived at my tower, and I allowed him entry, desirous to finally consummate our love. Jon disabled me with his spells, then he cursed me to this body and set spiders to feed me and keep me alive. So you see, if you were my friend, you would kill me.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So I picked up BG2 EE on a whim of nostalgia and have been playing it again this weekend. Back in the days I did that Kensai/mage thing everyone was doing, but decided on a fighter/mage guy this time. Though since it has been so loving long since I played this game I'm a little unsure about the dual class thingy. Like, I'm at 9 now which is the good point to dual iirc, but does that also mean that I have to get 10 mage levels before I get my old proficiencies back? Would rather not play without getting them back at some point since I want to wreck stuff with Crom and my off-hand sword eventually. Also, will I then be able to use gear that's not for mages like armor? I do realize that I can't cast with armor, but hey, sometimes you find a trash mob that doesn't need spells and putting on armor for that would be handy.

If none of this will work, I'll stick with being a gay single class fighter that can at least use all the sweet items in the game

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

So I picked up BG2 EE on a whim of nostalgia and have been playing it again this weekend. Back in the days I did that Kensai/mage thing everyone was doing, but decided on a fighter/mage guy this time. Though since it has been so loving long since I played this game I'm a little unsure about the dual class thingy. Like, I'm at 9 now which is the good point to dual iirc, but does that also mean that I have to get 10 mage levels before I get my old proficiencies back? Would rather not play without getting them back at some point since I want to wreck stuff with Crom and my off-hand sword eventually. Also, will I then be able to use gear that's not for mages like armor? I do realize that I can't cast with armor, but hey, sometimes you find a trash mob that doesn't need spells and putting on armor for that would be handy.

If none of this will work, I'll stick with being a gay single class fighter that can at least use all the sweet items in the game

Okay, for starters, if you DC now (and 9 really is optimal for straight fighter), you'll get your fighter skills, proficiencies, and abilities back when you hit mage level 10. Keep in mind that the way AD&D 2E classes level up, that's going to be in the experience it would have taken you to get maybe halfway through 10th level toward 11th as a fighter. It really won't take all that long.

You will be able to use non-mage gear, but if you're wearing armor, you won't be able to cast spells. Don't forget, though, that it doesn't take too much effort to get your mage's AC down just as low as any fighter's, so it's not as big a deal as you would think. That's generally a better (or at least easier) choice than switching armor around based on what encounter you expect to run into next. You'll be able to use any weapon you want, however, without shutting off your spellcasting.

(Also, if you REALLY want to use all the sweet items in the game, you'd want to be a thief. UAI can make for some spectacularly broken builds.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Neat! I'm still in the first town with a ton of companion quests and stuff left to do, so I'll have plenty xp ahead of me. Just have to cobble together some gear to have my new baby person not fall to bits right away.

Oh, and on the topic of armor, it's not so much about AC, but more about other effects armor pieces can carry. Whatevs, gonna roll with it as it comes. Though, iirc, isn't there also some elf chainmail that still let's you cast?

Taliesyn posted:

(Also, if you REALLY want to use all the sweet items in the game, you'd want to be a thief. UAI can make for some spectacularly broken builds.
Care to explain? I'm always open for powergaming in rpgs

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Care to explain? I'm always open for powergaming in rpgs

Thief-based classes, once you unlock epics, get to take an epic called Use Any Item, which lifts all non-stat limits on items for that character. Alignment limits, class limits, all of that is gone. I did a fighter/thief who frequently had his two weapon slots as Carsomyr and the Staff of the Magi.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Tin Tim posted:

In addition to what Taliesyn said, when dual-classing with fighter (or a thief kit that can get more than one pip in a proficiency) it is very important to remember that:
a) you will lose all access to all pips assigned during those first 9 first-class levels, until you hit second-class level 10;
b) immediately on reaching on level 10, the second classes' early level proficiency pips will overlap with the ones assigned via fighter levels but you will only keep the better of the two. For example, if you had 4 pips in quarterstaff as a fighter, then put a pip while as a mage, then on mage level 10 you'll only have 4 pips in quarterstaff. If you had assigned no quarterstaff pips as a fighter before dual classing, then you'll keep and benefit from that single-pip proficiency from your early mage levels;
c) as you level up in your second class past level 10, you will have access to fighter proficiencies and pip maximums. This can be huge, particularly with cleric as a second class. You won't get many extra proficiency pips but you will have absolute freedom to assign them in the second class (after level 10).

For the above reasons I've found that dual-classing swashbuckler/mage and fighter/cleric to be really great combos as well as the classic kensai-or-berserker/mage, if you hate NPC thieves or clerics, or if you're doing a complete custom party.

As far as struggling through those first 10 levels in the second class, I can say for mages that scrolls are key but so is turning in quests for XP. Certain (most side) quests give "the party" a pool XP award. So you put your other non-dual-class dudes on the other side of the map, remove them all in one fell swoop and then read scrolls like the wind, or turn in a quest XP award. You'll be solo while your party members walk towards you, and when they talk to you on arrival you can just accept them back in. Not a big deal if you can bankroll buying lots of scrolls (for a mage) which you'll want to do anyway.

e: fixed b) to reflect the actual truth of the matter, discussed below.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 29, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

a) you will lose all access to all pips assigned during those first 9 first-class levels, until you hit second-class level 10;
b) immediately, the second classes' early level proficiency pips stack on top of the ones assigned via fighter levels (regained immediately as of level 10 in the second class), to the maximum allowable to the first class. For example, if you had 4 pips in quarterstaff as a fighter, then put a pip while as a mage, then on mage level 10 you'll suddenly have 5 pips in quarterstaff.

Are you sure about this? I seem to remember any overlapping proficiencies were lost

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fong posted:

Are you sure about this? I seem to remember any overlapping proficiencies were lost
Perhaps that's true for the OG but in BG2:EE I can attest myself that the overlap will work, as long as you're at or under the max pips for the first class (or probably the second class, but that almost never comes up). My current fighter7/cleric (discussed in one of my earlier posts) depended on it to get 5 in warhammer.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

Perhaps that's true for the OG but in BG2:EE I can attest myself that the overlap will work, as long as you're at or under the max pips for the first class (or probably the second class, but that almost never comes up). My current fighter7/cleric (discussed in one of my earlier posts) depended on it to get 5 in warhammer.

This isn't correct. I've just double checked in both EEs and as Fong said any overlapping proficencies are lost. Are you running a mod or something?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ubachung posted:

This isn't correct. I've just double checked in both EEs and as Fong said any overlapping proficencies are lost. Are you running a mod or something?
No mods. I'm on the Mac App Store EE, latest version. I'm out but I'll double check later tonight, I could swear the second class early levels' proficiencies stacked against the first classes', assuming you don't hit limits.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 29, 2015

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

I just tested this in BG2:EE and this does NOT work as you described. If you put 4 points in warhammer as a fighter, then as a level 1 cleric put one more point into warhammer, then when you get your fighter abilities back, you still have only 4 points in warhammer. This was done about 2 minutes ago using BG2:EE on steam, fully updated, no mods. You can certainly add points afterward, but overlapping points are lost.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

For the above reasons I've found that dual-classing swashbuckler/mage and fighter/cleric to be really great combos as well as the classic kensai-or-berserker/mage, if you hate NPC thieves or clerics, or if you're doing a complete custom party.

I've found Berserker 9/Cleric to be surprisingly powergamey. The berserk makes a mockery of the most dangerous mage spells (and a certain demilich), Righteous Might lets you turn into a wrecking machine, and Crom Faeyr is pretty much God mode to start with, especially with 5 points of proficiency and dualled with the Runehammer or powered up Flail of Ages (with a similar level of proficiency, eventually).

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

Thief-based classes, once you unlock epics, get to take an epic called Use Any Item, which lifts all non-stat limits on items for that character. Alignment limits, class limits, all of that is gone. I did a fighter/thief who frequently had his two weapon slots as Carsomyr and the Staff of the Magi.

Jan's crossbow and custom ammo + Greater Deathblow. There are a ridiculous amount mobs with less than 12 HD even in ToB.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Taliesyn posted:

I just tested this in BG2:EE and this does NOT work as you described. If you put 4 points in warhammer as a fighter, then as a level 1 cleric put one more point into warhammer, then when you get your fighter abilities back, you still have only 4 points in warhammer. This was done about 2 minutes ago using BG2:EE on steam, fully updated, no mods. You can certainly add points afterward, but overlapping points are lost.
So I got back i and tested it using CLUA and you're right. I could have sworn it was as I said but it's not.

So, apologies of course, and I would amend my advice accordingly. Don't use your early level second-class pips in profs you already have in your first class. Just pick different ones, and you'll keep them when your two classes merge.

Again, sorry, I did a lot of reloads when I was trying to get a good 6-PC custom game going and I must have gotten mixed up.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

Again, sorry, I did a lot of reloads when I was trying to get a good 6-PC custom game going and I must have gotten mixed up.

No big deal, the only reason I jumped on it is because I wanted you to be right. :smith:

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

I know this has been covered a zillion times at this point, so I apologize for revisiting very well-trodden territories, but I didn't want to go through nearly 200 pages of this thread or the old BG2 thread:

I'm finally going to play PS:T, and I was hoping to get some quick tips on how to best go about it. I know the game is unique in that the lackluster combat can (and should) be avoided the majority of the time. So I believe I'm supposed to pump WIS in order to enable the most dialogue options? Is there anything else I should keep in mind going into this game for the first time?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the info, folks!

I could use another tip on making a good aligned party though. So far I have:

PC(fighter/mage)

Keldorn(leader/tank)

Jaheira(support fighter/cleric)

Anomen(support fighter/cleric)

Yoshimo(thief that will get replaced my imoen or nalia, but probably imoen)

?

Thinking about either Mazzy as another tank, or Edwin as a second mage but he'll probably make trouble once my reputation rises too far.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I personally like three mages, so my choice would be to take both Nalia and Imoen, especially since the your PC will be splitting his time between casting and brawling.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I think three mages is kind of overkill with scroll availability being what it is. I'd take either Minsc and have him dual wielding some mix of maces/long swords/katanas or Mazzy and let her snipe fools with the Tuigan or Gessen bow.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Tin Tim posted:

Thinking about either Mazzy as another tank, or Edwin as a second mage but he'll probably make trouble once my reputation rises too far.
I agree with Metal Meltdown. Better to have another tank such as Mazzy or Minsc. You already have 3 and later 4 spellcasters, so having even more characters that need micromanagement will just increase the amount of effort you need to run your party efficiently.

(In my last playthrough I had an Elf Diviner PC accompanied by Keldorn, Anomen, Mazzy, Minsc and Yoshimo/Imoen. I'm lazy, so I prefer a party that lets me melee most enemies to death without needing to bother much with spellcasting.)

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Factor_VIII posted:

I'm lazy, so I prefer a party that lets me melee most enemies to death without needing to bother much with spellcasting.
Same :v:

So yeah, thanks and I'l add another tank. Not sure which one atm. I do like Minsc as a character, but his voice pack annoys me. Mazzy is pretty cool, bit I'm not sure if I want her to be an archer. We'll see!

Oh, and another odd question. When it comes to enemies that need +x weaponry to be hurt, how do ranged weapons handle that? Is a +x weapon enough or do you also need +x ammo?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

So yeah, thanks and I'l add another tank. Not sure which one atm. I do like Minsc as a character, but his voice pack annoys me. Mazzy is pretty cool, bit I'm not sure if I want her to be an archer. We'll see!

Oh, and another odd question. When it comes to enemies that need +x weaponry to be hurt, how do ranged weapons handle that? Is a +x weapon enough or do you also need +x ammo?

You need +x ammo. This can be an issue if you carry forward into ToB which is solved by having the Gessen bow which fires +4 lightning bolts for free.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Metal Meltdown posted:

You need +x ammo. This can be an issue if you carry forward into ToB which is solved by having the Gessen bow which fires +4 lightning bolts for free.
Everard's sling from Joluv in the Copper Coronet also fires unlimited bullets that strike as +5 (without quite as much damage, sadly). Assuming you have the EE or collector's edition, of course.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Tin Tim posted:

Mazzy is proficient with short swords, so she works quite well in melee. I had used her as a melee character and she was very effective. Just strap a strength-enhancing item on her or have her use her strength-boosting special ability.

Keldorn is great if you are lazy. No need to bother with mage duels when facing enemy spellcasters; just send all your warriors around the mage, have Keldorn drop a Dispel Magic on him and then turn him into chunks in seconds.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kenny Logins posted:

Everard's sling from Joluv in the Copper Coronet also fires unlimited bullets that strike as +5 (without quite as much damage, sadly). Assuming you have the EE or collector's edition, of course.

Kenny Logins posted:

Even if you don't you can just CLUA them in.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

HereComesEverybody posted:

I know this has been covered a zillion times at this point, so I apologize for revisiting very well-trodden territories, but I didn't want to go through nearly 200 pages of this thread or the old BG2 thread:

I'm finally going to play PS:T, and I was hoping to get some quick tips on how to best go about it. I know the game is unique in that the lackluster combat can (and should) be avoided the majority of the time. So I believe I'm supposed to pump WIS in order to enable the most dialogue options? Is there anything else I should keep in mind going into this game for the first time?

Order of importance (if I remember right) for a "dialogue run:"

Wisdom (MAX)
Intelligence (MAX)
Charisma
Dexterity
Constitution
Strength

You'll still be able to win combats with lovely combat attributes since your party members are far from useless.

Also, install the fix pack and you're good to go.

EDIT: Don't be afraid to switch your classes around, at least once. There's secrets/memories/dialogue that can only be unlocked when you're certain classes too. Talk to your party members frequently and dig deep into their dialogue trees. Don't throw away or lose the bronze sphere.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 29, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you're playing PS:T for the dialogue, just cheat yourself to all-18s or all-25s.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So playing BG2 again has got me thinking, what would be the best build for a melee only class if you really want to rip&tear? A pure dual wield Kensai comes to mind, but he's also a wet paper tissue and needs support spells. So can you do something amazing with maybe a dual classed zerker?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

The Joe Man posted:

Order of importance (if I remember right) for a "dialogue run:"

Wisdom (MAX)
Intelligence (MAX)
Charisma
Dexterity
Constitution
Strength

I would swap DEX and CON, otherwise I generally agree. Also, I don't think you need to naturally get any stat to 25 because of the easy availability of stat-buffing tattoos and permanent stat increases. In particular, you don't need to put points into WIS past 18--there are enough permanent bonuses and tattoos to get you to 25 easily. And I'm not sure there are any INT checks above 21.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

So playing BG2 again has got me thinking, what would be the best build for a melee only class if you really want to rip&tear? A pure dual wield Kensai comes to mind, but he's also a wet paper tissue and needs support spells. So can you do something amazing with maybe a dual classed zerker?
If it's solo it's inquisitor*. If it's with a full party: still inquistor*.

*starting two-handed sword and two-handed style, then mace, then whatever

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Brett Riverboat, knifeman.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dual wield berserker is great for pure melee. Their rage makes them hit harder as well as making them immune to just about everything.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fong posted:

Dual wield berserker is great for pure melee. Their rage makes them hit harder as well as making them immune to just about everything.

Level 9 zerker dualled to Cleric is totally insane.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Tin Tim posted:

I had played a dual-wielding Kensai in BG1 and the Mage spell Spirit Armor really boosted his AC so that it was at the same level or better as that of other warriors. If you have a Mage with you then I wouldn't worry about your AC.

I had played a human out of personal preference, but if you want a single class Kensai I'd suggest going with a Half-Orc for the 19 starting Str and Con. Just max out all physical stats and you're good to go.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Level 9 zerker dualled to Cleric is totally insane.

It absolutely is. I've become a huge fan ever since I first tried it, especially once I had Righteous Magic and Crom Faeyr. Tack on a berserk and the build's damage output has to be seen to be believed.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I just realised you said melee only... Brett Riverboat also uses throwing knives. My bad. You do get some pretty sweet daggers in BG2 though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Huh, I never looked into the Inquisitor kit, but it seems super good at screwing the poo poo out of any mage. Which tbf, a lot of the powerful enemies in the game are. But I'm not too much of a fan of 2h swords, and rather go for dual wield with haste or whatever gives you faster rip&tear. Speaking off, a zerker/cleric does sound interesting and I may give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
There are a lot of fun class combos in the BG games, but there are so many that never saw the light of day and I was disappointed when the EE did not fling the doors wide open for any and all combinations (whatever the reason). Among other things, I have always felt it a pity that it is not possible, at least as far as I know, to have a sorcerer in any multi- or dual-class combo. Sorcerer seems perfectly suited to a "melee enhancement" type build which is going to be built around using certain buffs repeatedly to maximize combat protection and performance, and the sorcerer's limited spellbook, lots-o'-casts per day would fit like a glove for a berserker, warrior, kensei etc. Not that mage doesn't already but, assuming that no scrolls or spells are cheated in, some spells are hard to come by: e.g. Only 2 copies of Stoneskin in all of BG1, one of which requires the expansions if I am mistaken and the other requires the EE and doing Neera's personal quest.