Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fookin fooks fookin fookin ee oh, ya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

As a Millennial I posted:

how about everybody throw their phones in the garbage. jesus

codl
Jul 28, 2013

i'm the ios developer who prefers to remain nameless

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prtyny/disco-dog-the-smartphone-controlled-led-dog-vest

DISCO

DOG

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's been a year since the solar roadways people installed their first solar road e: oops it's a parking lot and for some reason i can't find any results from the test. but indiegogo has been gracious enough to open up their donation thing again so you can continue to give them money for some reason

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

anthonypants posted:

it's been a year since the solar roadways people installed their first solar road e: oops it's a parking lot and for some reason i can't find any results from the test. but indiegogo has been gracious enough to open up their donation thing again so you can continue to give them money for some reason

The solar bike path in the netherlands broke already: https://twitter.com/PercyTwits/status/548754743557128192/photo/1

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nintendo Kid posted:

The solar bike path in the netherlands broke already: https://twitter.com/PercyTwits/status/548754743557128192/photo/1

yes glass roads are a great idea

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

THREE

HUNDRED

DOLLARS

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Improbable Lobster posted:

yes glass roads are a great idea
:agreed:

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
they continue to be blissfully unaware of basic engineering problems on their facebook page

post on the Canada runway crash:

quote:

Scary news yesterday which highlights the need to keep our airports snow and ice free. Our panels can do that, and we are looking forward to the opportunity to test that out at our local airport

:pwn:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
do glass roads have good traction when wet? i'd imagine so, otherwise this is a terrible idea

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Beast of Bourbon posted:

do glass roads have good traction when wet? i'd imagine so, otherwise this is a terrible idea

no, which is why they have to be nobbly, which makes them noisy as gently caress and will absolutely destroy your tyres, so add "vastly increases wear and tear on consumables" to their amazing green credentials

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Depends on texture. you can assume the texture will be: worn down to a fine polish

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

Depends on texture. you can assume the texture will be: worn down to a fine polish
incidentally this will be good for the solar panels

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

anthonypants posted:

incidentally this will be good for the solar panels

even better is when all the cars fly off them and crash, no more cars = no more emissions

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nagato posted:

they continue to be blissfully unaware of basic engineering problems on their facebook page

except that plane never touched the loving runway, and canada has had snow clearing technology for decades now

they're called snow plows

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nagato posted:

honestly i love how one of their main features is "instead of generating energy, you can dump massive amounts of power from the gird into them to heat them up and slowly clear ice"

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joltteam/brik-case/description

"This case is not officially licensed by LEGO™, Mega Bloks, PixelBlocks, KRE-O, or K'NEX Bricks™. It just happens to be compatible with all of them."

oh, and we also use Marvel LEGO figures in the marketing material, no problem.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"we use recycled materials, unlike those wasteful roads!!"
only 10% of the glass is recycled, none of the rare earth metal solar or electronic components are recycled, 99% of road asphalt is recycled for road resurfacing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

only 10% of the glass is recycled, none of the rare earth metal solar or electronic components are recycled, 99% of road asphalt is recycled for road resurfacing

not to mention a ton of roads have things like old tires, plastic, and glass mixed into the substrate as part of the needed bulk, when such materials are too damaged or otherwise messed up to be normally recycled.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Nintendo Kid posted:

not to mention a ton of roads have things like old tires, plastic, and glass mixed into the substrate as part of the needed bulk, when such materials are too damaged or otherwise messed up to be normally recycled.

I didn't know this. that pretty cool.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah, and it's not even a new thing, the romans were using rubble from demolished buildings to build their road foundations from the very start. modern bitumen-based road surfaces are probably about the most recycled things on earth - to the point where a lot of road resurfacing projects are literally "dig up road, re-melt, add a touch more aggregate, re-lay" - sometimes even done as a continuous process in one vehicle.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

So what happens over time other than a bit of deformation from heavy vehicles? Does the tar just eventually drain away from the surface and need to be mixed up again?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sund posted:

So what happens over time other than a bit of deformation from heavy vehicles? Does the tar just eventually drain away from the surface and need to be mixed up again?

around here we have what's known as swelling clays, which is basically if the earth was a giant sponge

when it rains, the ground swells up and cracks stuff, when it's dry ( which it was for a very long time) it shrinks by a lot and cracks stuff even more

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

up here we have winter

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sund posted:

heat and freeze cycles will break up the road surface over time, and even just plain heat and chill cycles will break it up but more slowly.

stuff like that is why roads get cracks and in worse cases potholes.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

um, both things completely solved by SOLAR FREAKIN ROADWAYS

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

um, both things completely solved by SOLAR FREAKIN ROADWAYS

i'm using my solar sidewalk to mine bitcoin! it's money from the sun!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Elder Postsman posted:

Here in Alaska a local glass recycling plant started up recently that converts glass to "glass gravel", seems pretty popular with builders.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

well they can't use a lot of recycled glass despite that photo op of them standing on a large mound because the more impurities they introduce the less efficient their solar panels become

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's almost like, say, their product is fundamentally incompatible with recycled materials and no amount of handwaving can disguise this fact???

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
well it'll probably be okay for a parking lot, but nowhere near as good as a raised covering

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

but a parking lot would be filled in daytime hours, covering the panels

the solar part of the project is great, the roadways part is complete garbage. hey! where should we put power generating surfaces? i know, far away from where people use electricity! should we do any cost feasibility studies? nope, certainly the cost of the raw glass alone won't be double the gdp of the country! but what about upkeep? surely a country that barely cares to repair surfaces made out of rocks, garbage, and oil waste would splurge to maintain billions of intricate electronic devices!

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 30, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

but a parking lot would be filled in daytime hours, covering the panels
technically yeah, that's what parking lots are designed to do, but there's still a lot of empty parking lots in this country. and, if you own one of those parking lots and want to generate solar electricity and keep the snow off of your parking spots and illuminate them, a raised covering will be vastly cheaper and more effective

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hey, won't thousands and thousands of vehicles a day grinding debris into glass scratch it and ruin its transmittance? no, because the tiny slab i built where i test 4-wheelers gingerly going 5 mph hasn't had any problems. do you really have leds that can be seen well enough in full daylight to replace traffic lines? yes they definitely exist and the fact that i only take pictures of them at night is purely coincidental. how would dynamically allocating handicapped spaces work anyways if the cars are already parked? if melting snow off roadways is so easy and cheap, why do only rich people have heated driveways? does glass have enough traction for a roadway? even when wet? oh yeah it's deffo safe, i told you about that 10 by 10 slab i have where i have obviously been testing highway speeds.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anthonypants posted:

technically yeah, that's what parking lots are designed to do, but there's still a lot of empty parking lots in this country. and, if you own one of those parking lots and want to generate solar electricity and keep the snow off of your parking spots and illuminate them, a raised covering will be vastly cheaper and more effective

i'd say covering roofs with solar panels is a more effective place to start than even parking lots. the whole snow issue is also moot because any place where persistent snow cover is an issue also has issues with the power generation potential of solar panels

also, covering parking spots is a great way to reduce coverage of security cameras

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

rooftop panels can also help solve the issue of the inside of your car being the temperature of the sun after you leave it parked for a few hours

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
you can also use them to angle the panels towards the sun instead of lying them flat against the ground

do you really have leds that can be seen well enough in full daylight to replace traffic lines? yes they definitely exist and the fact that i only take pictures of them at night is purely coincidental.
no joke their answer for this is that LED traffic lights exist, which definitely don't have a loving shroud over them to block sunlight because of this exact loving issue

they also unironically used this image of "Times Square" to demonstrate that you can still clearly see LED billboards in daylight

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 30, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
gently caress it, just turn all the roads into giant mirrors to burn everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
thinking of a Canadian winter, there is just no way you get enough energy from the seven hours of sunlight we might get if there's no cloud to melt the ten inches of snow that fell over night when it's like -20 out

also you might notice that we don't remove snow by melting it. I wonder if there's a reason for that.

oh yeah it's because once it's run off it freezes again and now you're stuck with a solid block of ice

• Locked thread